Start by marking “In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)” as Want to Read:
In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)

In Fire Forged

(Worlds of Honor #5)

Honor Harrington is arguably the most popular character in modern science fiction, but there are many other stories in the Honorverse besides those in which she has the central role. This fifth volume in the popular Worlds of Honor series explores some of those stories with the help of such top writers as best-selling author Jane LIndskjold, New York Times best-selling aut ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about In Fire Forged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Fire Forged

Start your review of In Fire Forged (Worlds of Honor, #5)
Rachel Hyland
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
David Weber is increasingly an author who seems absolutely incapable of concision. When given the brief to write a short story, it is pretty much destined to over-run the nominal word limit for such things; and even then, his short stories inevitably become larger novels (see: The Excalibur Alternative and Out of the Dark). In this case, In Fire Forged was perhaps intended as another collaborative short story anthology in which his popular and long-lasting Honor Harrington series could be extend ...more
John
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Three Honorverse short stories and some technical material.

1) Ruthless by Jane Lindskold, a sequel to Promised Land from The Service of the Sword. An enjoyable story about Michael Winton and Judith of Masada and the deepening of their characters and relationship. Well done. 4/5.

2) An Act of War by Timothy Zahn, a sequel to With One Stone from The Service of the Sword. A nifty story featuring Charles again, and shenanigans around his slippery dealing. 4/5.

3) Let's Dance by David Weber. The longes
Kathy Davie
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, military, sci-fi
With four short stories, In Fire Forged is fifth in the anthology series, Worlds of Honor, and a spinoff from the Honor Harrington military science-fiction series. I wanted to make this a 3.5, but that wouldn't be fair to the other three good stories in this anthology just because I'm unthrilled with Presby's contribution.

Series:
"Ruthless" (follows from Worlds of Honor 4: "Promised Land")
"An Act of War" (Honor Harrington, 9.5)
"Let's Dance" (Honor Harrington, 3.5; Nimitz doesn't have his skinsu
LeisureSuitLarry
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 101-in-2011
There is no such thing as a bad honor Harrington book, even if they're short stories.
Faith Hunter
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Three long shorts or short novelas. The story by David Weber was grand. the other two by other writers, were okay.
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
2018 re-read. not bad at all!
Douglas Owen
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not really one book, but several stories told in the same universe, just like all the others.
Lindsey
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It was fun to go back to an "earlier" version of Honor Harrington and fill in one of the few missing chapters of her military career. It was also nice to see Weber tackle something based more on a personal judgement call than the one-true-path being clear as day, although there's very little doubt about how she'll choose and that the powers-that-be will engineer a backhanded "punishment". 4 stars.

Zahn's story seemed overly simple at first and got better and more complex as it went. It's been awh
Cris
Like any collection of stories by different authors, I found the stories to be of varying levels of interest to me.

"Ruthless" by Jane Lindskold acts as a sequel to an story in an earlier collection but stands alone.

"An Act of War" by Timothy Zahn is a well-written sci-fi story.

My favorite story is "Let's Dance!" by David Weber. The story's length fits just right.
Beth
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, wobble, towerv
I liked the first story by Lindskold, but found the next two hard slogs (by Zahn and Weber). The final "story" was a mind-numbingly boring "history" of technical design of imaginary space battle ships. Yawn.
Steven Allen
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy how these short stories fill in the gaps between books while adding to the main character's backstory. In this book I loved the story of how Honor met Nimitz and how they bonded as a treecat and his human.
Neeuqdrazil
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
More short stories/novellas in the Honorverse. A lot of these (in all of these collections) provide background and depth to characters and situations that get mentioned in passing in the main-thread series.
Jeff
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Solid short stories in the Honor-verse. Great way to spend time!
Liviu
This is a short anthology as opposed to Service of the Sword (#4) but it has 2 superb stories, both sequels of stories in volume 4 and a HH story by the author that depends on your familiarity with the Honorverse for degree of enjoyment - for someone who read all Honroverse so far and participated in interminable discussions on forums about it, the story is good with its moments, but more of a filler than anything new; for a less experienced Honorverse reader the story may be a good introduction ...more
Lizabeth Tucker
In Fire Forged edited by David Weber

Worlds of Honor 5

A collection of stories and articles set in the Honor Harrington universe. Started out well with the first two stories, then fell flat with the rest of the book. 3.5 out of 5 simply due to Lindskold and Zahn.

“Ruthless” by Jane Lindskold
While speaking to a woman from Human Services outside her apartment, Judith Newland’s daughter disappears. The child is being used as leverage against Prince Michael Winston. Lindskold gives us a look at one
Steven Lee
The fifth book in the Worlds of Honor series consists of four short stories.

"Ruthless" Then Crown Prince Michael Winton in his service in the Royal Manitocoran Navy and Judith Newland, shortly after her escaping Masadan captivity. Agents kidnap Ruth; Michael and his best friend and fellow serviceman go on a wild goose chase. I did not enjoy this story. It is emotionally overwrought, the plot/conspiracy at the heart of it is not particularly interesting. It does not expand the universe in a mean
Jim
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it

Welcome to the Honorverse. The New York Times Best-Selling Series Continues.

3.8 Million Honor Harrington Books in Print

Over 7 Million David Weber Books in Print

18 New York Times Best Sellers from Baen Plus Five More from Tor.

***Dave Hill
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: text
This is another set of short stories set in Weber's Honorverse, and, as such things often are, they are a mixed bag.

Jane Lindskold provides "Ruthless," a mildly entertaining tale of the relationship between Judith of Masada and Manticoran Prince Michael Winton, as tested by kidnappers of Judith's child. The individual characters are interesting enough, but the action feels forced and relationship doesn't seem to have much chemistry.

Timothy Zahn gives us "An Act of War," a caper story amidst the
Mayank Agarwal
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Actually only has three stories so it’s the smallest of the anthologies and a good one at that. Just skip the last 10% of the book which is the fourth useless technical gibberish.

1. Ruthless by Jane Lindskold
Sequel to Promised Land and as I am reading Honorverse book’s in chronological order I was looking forward to reading more on Micheal and Judith. The plot, action and romance seem forced. Just hate the way they show the inability of Royal’s to do anything against their enemy. I have noticed
Nick
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I have mixed feelings about authors sharing their universes with other writers. The results can be good, or they can be awful, depending on how well the additional authors get into the spirit of the fictional universe. One of my favorite writers wrote a really dreadful novel in such a situation, because his version of the reality was so jarringly different from the apparent intent of the original author.
In this case, though, additional authors Timothy Zahn and Jane Lindskold both turned in nice
Barb in Maryland
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f-goodies
Nice set of short stories from Zahn and Lindskold and a novella from Weber. Plus, for all the weapons-geeks out there, a little piece on ship's armor.
Lindskold's story features the Queen's brother, Prince Michael and Judith, the Masadan refugee, and a dastardly plot involving her daughter, Ruth. It was a nice way to fill in the blanks in these continuing characters' lives. We know from the beginning who the bad guys are, so the action of the story involves our main characters figuring out who du
Colleen
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
At this point almost all the Worlds of Honor stories continue to spin out narratives branching off in directions begun in previous Worlds of Honor volumes. For some of these it's a good thing (Prince Michael's courtship, eg.) for others, I wasn't too enamored with the characters even the first time round (con-man tries to burn the Peeps... again.) The Honor-as-a-younger-officer story was the longest and was solid.

But none of these, unlike previous Worlds of Honor books (I'm looking at you, World
Annette
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Fairly weak. The Linskold offering, another chapter in the Michael Winton / Judith tale, lacked drama and suspense for all that it involved a child kidnapping. The reasoning behind that kidnapping was even harder to swallow, as was the end. Timothy Zahn's "An Act of War" was the strongest in the anthology - it did keep you guessing! - but it wasn't IMHO as good as his earlier story introducing the character of "Charles" the mysterious Solarian arms dealer to the Peeps. Weber's "Let's Dance" (set ...more
David
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three good stories plus a learned treatise on the design of modern starship Armor.

Ruthless by Jane Lindskold; An adventure in the lives of Judith and Michael Winton a couple of years after Judith's escape from Masada. A light story.

An Act of War by Timothy Zahn; This is a new scheme from Charles, first seen in "With One Stone" in The Service of the Sword. Selling dodgy gear to the PRH etc.

"Let's Dance" by David Weber; Honor has an adventure in the Silesian Confederacy involving the usual suspect
Andy Zach
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Generally, I don't like shorter fiction (short stories, novellas) as much as longer, but this anthology may be the best I've read since 'The Best of Science Fiction' series in the 70s. The stories are longer than short stories, novellas or longer and of universally good quality.

All the stories are associated with the 'Honorverse', the story world created by David Weber for his beloved spaceship captain, Honor Harrington. The authors are Jane Lindskold, writing 'Ruthless'; Timothy Zahn writing 'A
Bruce
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book contains a novella by Weber, two short stories by other authors and a 'article' on Starship Armor Design which I assume was written by Weber. The novella "Let's Dance" has a young Honor Harrington commanding a destroyer and getting involved in a diplomatic incident. It's a good story and is somewhat of a back story. "Ruthless" by Jane Linkskold is an exciting read though starting somewhat slow it rapidly gains your attention. Manticorean(sic) Queen Elizabeth's only brother is the main ...more
Nihonjoe
This is a good set of three short works (one is at least a novella) which provide a little more insight and background information to the main stories in the series. Honor meets the Audubon Ballroom, we learn a little more about Queen Elizabeth's brother, and get a backstory about interaction between agents from the Solarian League, the Andermani Empire, and the People's Republic of Haven.

Overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit, though it's not my absolute favorite set of stories. It does require a kn
Caleb
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not a bad colection of stories but not great either. Ruthless and An Act of War are continuations of short stories in other Honorverse anthologies. Let's Dance is an Honor Harrington short which happens about 1 T-year before the start of On Basalisk Station. None of them stood out as anything special and the one space battle was really short.
I wish David Weber would just knuckle under and finish the series rather than publish a whole bunch of anthologies. They're OK but not even close to a subs
Sue
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
A series of short stories from the Honorverse.
'Ruthless' gives us another view of Prince Michael and Judith, a follow on from 'Promised Land', and 20 or so years before we read Ruths story in Crown of Slaves. I enjoyed the story, and would like a few glimpses into their lives.
Act of War is a scam artist at play in the Peoples Republic.
Lets Dance unites Honor and the Audabon Ballroom early in her career.
There is also 'An Introduction to Modern Starship Armor Design', I haven't tackled this yet, a
Calisto
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-opera
Jane Lindskold's Ruthless (3)
It's more about Michael and Judith before they start a relationship. It's nice, but kinda bland imo in terms of action and burgeoning romance.

Timothy Zahn's An Act of War (2)
I kinda missed the whole point of this story. Are we supposed to figure out how the con-man knows Honor? IDK, I don't care.

David Weber's Let's Dance (4)
This is the reason this is getting an overall 4 stars. I loved the Ballroom and want more short stories about them. The fact that Honor is in it
« previous 1 3 next »

• The King's Man (The Zero Enigma Book 7)
  • The Artful Apprentice
  • To Clear Away The Shadows (RCN, #13)
  • The Neuroscience of Mindfulness: The Astonishing Science behind How Everyday Hobbies Help You Relax
  • The Shattered Trident (The Endarian Prophecy, #4)
  • Trumpocalypse: Restoring American Democracy
  • A Fatal Truth (Ryder and Loveday Mystery, #5)
  • Dark Mirror: Edward Snowden and the American Surveillance State
  • Planet Killer (Star Kingdom #6)
  • Into the Dark (Alexis Carew #1)
  • CivCEO: A 4x Lit Series (The Accidental Champion Book 1)
  • The Morning After (A Taboo Tale)
  • Family Comes First: Book 4, Making It up to Mom
  • Bitter Brew
  • The Family Medici: The Hidden History of the Medici Dynasty
  • Commodore Henry Gallant (The Henry Gallant Saga, #6)
  • The Family Pride (The Zero Enigma #6)
  • The Alchemist's Apprentice (The Zero Enigma #5)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Worlds of Honor (6 books)
  • More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • Beginnings (Worlds of Honor, #6)