Start by marking “Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)

Born at Midnight

(Shadow Falls #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  81,296 ratings  ·  4,315 reviews
Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams, Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arrivi
Published March 29th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Born at Midnight, please sign up.
Riley I think some people are just picky about what they classify as literature. I say, read it! Is it cheesy? Hell yes! But that's what makes it good, in m…moreI think some people are just picky about what they classify as literature. I say, read it! Is it cheesy? Hell yes! But that's what makes it good, in my opinion! I found this entire series to be HILARIOUS! So much so that I ended up reading all five books within a matter of a few days. Don't go into it expecting it to be Shakespeare. Go into it expecting to have a few laughs and enjoy a quick read. :) I hope you'll love it as much as I did! It's been awhile since a book has made me laugh that hard.(less)
Nicole Smith You asked this question a long time ago, but I thought I would answer for others who may have the same question.
I am in my early 20's and I would have…more
I am in my early 20's and I would have to say, I personally would not let my child read these books. This is simply due to the fact that some of the later books include some "sexy" scenes that I wouldn't let my kid read at least until they were out of high school. The age range, coming from someone with Christian values, I would say 18 and above. Solely for the language and the "sexy" scenes. (less)

·  81,296 ratings  ·  4,315 reviews

Start your review of Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1)
Cristina Monica

Oh yeah, this is what I call an entertaining book.

I don’t have a deep quote to share with you all, for the simple reason that this is a light, colourful and diverting story. It didn’t blow my mind, didn’t take my breath away or sweep me off my feet, but it sure as hell took away my boredom for a good nine hours. And this is what I wanted and needed, so I’m fully(-ish) satisfied.

Kylie can see ghosts. They follow her everywhere and she doesn’t know how to control this ‘‘gift’’ she has. After her p
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I thought it was pretty good =) ♥ Not a big fan of love triangles but this one wasn't as bad as some!

Happy Reading!

Mel ♥
Danny
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Meet Lucas and Derek on the Bewitched Bookworms

First of, isn't the cover super super pretty?? I love that cover and after reading the synopsis I knew I had to read this book and I was happy enough to get my hand on a ARC, woohoo!

Loved this book! It's about Kylie trying to figure out who she really is, specially in terms of supernatural species. Kylie is stuck in between the divorce of her parents and this hits her really hard. After being caught at a Party where some kids where doing drugs, he
Kyle
Sep 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody in their right mind
Basically the worst book I've ever read personally. Hated the characters, story, how judgemental Kylie was, etc.

This used to have a review, but then a troll came along, and I realized that this review would probably attract many more, so I just took it down.
Jessica
Nov 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've read this year.

The main character was immature, insensitive, and shallow. She compared learning that she was in some way supernatural, with her possibly having a brain tumor. All she could talk about was how terrible it would be to have to buy some wigs and that she hoped she had cancer over being "not human". Are you kidding me?

The "romance" was a joke and poorly written. I honestly hated it. Most of the book she thinks of her ex who was a real sleazeball. Then she
Alexis
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who hate life, third graders, anyone without standards
Let's play a guessing game.
Ready?

Is it a.... fairy?

Is it a... vampire?

Is it a.... werewolf?

Is it a... nnoying?

On page 205 of "Born at Midnight," the (boring, flat, typical) main character, Kylie, is in the same position she was in on page 50. I mean exact same position. She's at a summer camp for supernatural creatures. Her shrink recommended it to her mom because the shrink is half fairy and can recognize the signs of supernatural gifts.
OK.

SO. What is Kylie, you
Ben Alderson
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SUCH AN AMAZING BOOK! I SWEAR IT HAS EVERYTHING I LOVE IN A STORY!
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Jun 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book doesnt have a love triangle-It has a love hyper-rectangle I mean the potential love interests throws themselves at the main character wherever she goes.So if youre a die-hard Twilight fan this book might be for you

The main character is 16-year old Kylie,her parents are getting a divorce and she keeps seeing this weird figure on her front lawn thats invisible to everyone else but her.To get away from it all she goes to a party that ends badly when the police breaks up the party, with he
Zuleeza
Aug 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

This book is like one massive parody of all-things paranormal. I might like it if I was fourteen. The plot is very similar to Hex Hall, at least up until the point where I decided that this just doesn't worth my time.

Annoying, self-conscious, whiny heroine who thinks she's funny.

Her life had toilet-bound stamped all over it.

Suddenly, Kylie started feeling people turn and look at her. Or were they looking at all of them?

Stupid, spineless best frien
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
3.5/5

September 16, 2015
I'm going to have to write a review tomorrow. I'm really tired.

September 17, 2015
Okay. Now I'm ready to write this review.

I had been seeing this book around in Barnes and Noble as well as some people's shelfs. I had read a little about it and I was determined to read the series. I have to say though, that I was a little disappointed.

The Cover

So I know that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover but, come on. We all do it even if we don't mean to. This cover is really coo
♥ The Book Snob ♥
Kylie..

Photobucket

..a girl leading a normal life. (Well, yeah, if you exclude all the recent mishaps..)

Who would've thought she was anything but normal.

And the blondie was like..

Photobucket

Evolution of unknown powers, which she hadn't even been familiar with. Until now. Two boys vying for her attention. Oh, wait. Make that three. Yeah, that's right. Three guys hungry for her attention..
Derek..

Lucas..

Trey..

Photobucket

Two friends, and roommates, totally different species, grabbing any chance to degrade and cur
Lia
Nov 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm 3% into this book, and I cannot bring myself to go on. This may be a great fantasy book and I'll never know, but there is so much slut-shaming in little more than 10 pages, that I will not continue reading this. Here are some examples:

Beside him - or she should say plastered against him - sashayed his new slutty girlfriend. (page 10)

"Trey and his screw toy are here" (page 10)

Kylie stared at her best friend and realized how different they'd become these last six months. It wasn't just Sara's
Heather
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I won a Born At Midnight ARC through the Library Things Early Reviewers. I really had no idea what this book was about when I got it . But I was hooked from the first page. The novel is told from the point of view of sixteen year old Kylie. She's not having a great month. Her parents are divorcing, her boyfriend broke up with her for the same reason boyfriends usually do -she said no, and to top it all off she's got a stalker that no one else but her can see. She's seeing a shrink, but it hasn't ...more
♡Jacqueline♡ beautyliterate
May 10 2016
LOVED rereading this book. I was just in the mood to reread it again and so I'm going to continue rereading the entire series #SeriesSummer hear I come :)

July 10 2013
This book made me laugh and I just fell in love with the story!!! I love fantasy and this was such a fun book. Can't wait to read the second book!!
Cyndi
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Extremely innocent girl gets sent to camp for troubled teens only to discover it is actually a camp for supernaturals. Since she is the ‘special snowflake’ no one knows what her superpower is. But she can see ghosts. So she must be something. Apparently everyone can see each others brain patterns *shudder* except for our heroine’s. Her brain pattern is unrecognizable.
Add to all that she has three different hot guys wanting her. She is torn between the old boyfriend who cheated on her because s
Julie
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love this book! It wasn't planned that I wanted to read this book. I had seen it once or twice, but I dind't really came through to me, but one day (I was in need of books at the time) I saw it in a store. It was cheap, it was a nice cover, and it didn't sound that bad. I thought to myself it probably could be worse.
And boy, how I loved this book from the first chapter!
Kylie Galen is a girl with several problems: parents, whom are getting a divorce, a dead grandmother and a stalker an
Prem Kaur
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I read this book a while ago but never got around to writing about how much I loved it! I read it in one sitting!! Definitely a series I would recommend every paranormal/fantasy reader out there!
Cindy
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
This review may also be found on A Thousand Little Pages.

Kylie’s life is breaking down around her: her parents consider divorce, her boyfriend dumps her and immediately starts going out with another girl, and a stalker has been introduced into her life. It isn’t until Kylie gets caught at a party -- with under-aged drinking and drugs galore -- that her life gets turned completely upside down. Her Ice Queen mom decides to send her to Shadow Falls Camp, a psychologist-recommended institution for t
hayden
Kylie Galen has had a lot of crap tossed in her lap lately. Her parents are getting a divorce for who the heck knows why. Her boyfriend broke up with her because she wouldn't put out. And her grandmother died because . . . well, older people do that. But now, Kylie's acquired a stalker and she hasn't a clue what he wants or how to get rid of him . . . and she really wants to get rid of him because apparently she's the only one who sees him. Thinking she may be losing it, her parents send her off ...more
Mal
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
It was awesome! I love the story, I love the camp, I love the characters, I love everything about it!!

Derek, Lucas, and Perry... them my favs ^-^

Here are some quotes (yes, I perfer them in my reviw, dont judge (Ps. These may or may not be spoilers))...

"'They call us boneheads,' the girl said...
'Ha,' said the blond boy. 'They also call us boners.'
A few laughs echoed from the toher seats. 'Why is that funny?' the girl wearing all black asked in a tone so deadly serious that Kylie shivered.
'Y
Katharina
Aug 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished, read-2012
I give up. It's not like I was expecting literary genius here, but between constantly being shocked and appalled by all the "scary mega-freaks" (aka someone with dyed hair or A TATTOO) and things like "There was another girl dressed in all black. Apparently goth freaks didn't care that black was out of fashion this year" (paraphrasing, can't be bothered to find the actual quote but believe me it was just as stupid), I'm beginning to think this is actually a parody of itself and nobody told me.
I
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
***3.5/5 Stars***

Well, for once, I'm a little clueless about my feelings. Yes this book was fun, but not too much really happened. I mainly felt as though the series was being set up, which was still entertaining. The characters each stood out, and I definitely know them well. The love triangle was firmly created, and I found myself rooting for one guy more than the other. And by the end of the book, I had a good grasp on all of the paranormal creatures and the world that they lived in. So while
Alex
BR with ♈Ariel♈! :D

The characters in this book were dull and the writing was weird. A few quotes:

Kylie flinched emotionally, but physically didn’t blink. (location 150)

Kylie started to follow but her gaze slapped against Soldier Dude. (location 212)

Tears threatened to crawl up her throat. (location 229)

Her mom’s green eyes tightened. (location 247)

Chills tiptoed up her spine. (location 607)

Her gaze slapped right into Kylie. (location 622)

A watery film coated her vision. (locations 760-761)

I
Marija *There's No Poetry In My Soul, Just A List Of Lies I've Told*
Oh god, what did I just read? Seriosuly, this looked like a really good book but then Kylie had to open her mouth and ruin everything. This book has a good plot but characters are so dumb I barely could tolerate it. Not just Kylie, it's all of them: Miranda, Della, Derek, even Lucas. They all are so immature and shallow. It was really hard bonding with them. Truth be told, I only liked Daniel the Ghost.

Issues I had with Kylie: her immaturity, the fact that she couldn't get over her ex-boyfriend
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
After finishing the last page of Born at Midnight, I didn’t think about the story once the entire night. It was only when I sat down at my computer to write this review that I realized that while I enjoyed this book, the story left no lasting impression. The main character, Kylie, is a supernatural being that can see ghosts, but she is unwilling to admit that she is any different from any other 17 year old. Her parents are on the verge of a divorce and at the recommendation of Kylie’s therapist, ...more
shady boots
Ugh. This book to me was pretty much a mixture of all the other YA PNR books out there. It's one of those books where I rolled my eyes a lot and finished it with an unsatisfied sigh. Let's see:

1. Vampires, werewolves and faeries - Check
2. Mary Sue heroine with unique powers - Check
3. Dickhead heroes - Check
4. Shitty love triangle - Check

Yup. Didn't find much originality, really. And the characters were just hard to like. I'd give this book 2 stars, though, because it was bad, but not totally a p
Dana Cristiana
I found this book at the library, like I usually do with most of the books (I'm a sucker for borrowing books from the library). When I borrowed it, it was because of the plot. It had that teenager vibe, the kind of books I was reading when I started highschool. And I was in a point in my life when I missed reading this kind of vampire/werewolves/fairy/ghosts-whatever books. So I started reading the book.

It is about the main character and the most important one, Kylie Galen. Her parents are going
Annie Brewer
WOW. Oh wow!! I am speechless! Born at Midnight was absolutely thrilling!! If I could have read it in one day, I totally would have! I didn not want to put that book down since I picked it up and started reading it. Unfortunately, my life is hectic and would not allow me to read it that quickly. I loved, loved, loved this book!! The plot, the suspense, the romance, the characters-all of it! Nothing but good raves about this book. On to the review now......

So Kylie Galen, a 16 year old ordinary g
Luzie
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review may contain SPOILERS!
Okay, so it took me almost two months to get through this book, and prior to this, this was the book that was on my TBR-pile the longest ... and I finally finished it! The beginning was why it took me so long to read this book, it just was so hard for me to get into the story, and at some point in the story I also thought how immature the characters acted, but then I reminded myself that this is a fantasy-book for teens. So yeah, I think my main issue is, that I
Daphne
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: witch, enjoyed, were, fae, vampires
I'm weeping here...I did like the cover and it started interesting until sweet Kylie became a serial kisser to any boy who gave her the time of day. She lost me. There was also some grammatical errors.

Kylie has her share of problems with her parents divorce, her best friend and now her ex-boyfriend Trey who broke up it off because she didn't entertain the idea of having sex.
She is sent to a camp for troubled teens because she was at a party where there was drugs and liquor and her mother was not
YA Buddy Readers'...: Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1) by C.C. Hunter - GBR - Starting October 1st 2019 12 165 Oct 22, 2019 12:05AM
Which supernatural creature would you be? 2 4 Feb 19, 2019 11:54AM
Lucas vs. Derek 5 47 Jan 01, 2019 05:28PM
Shadow Falls: The Falls 79 22 Feb 22, 2018 06:35PM

• Nés à Minuit, Tome 2 : Soupçons
  • Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
  • Nés à minuit - Tome 3: Illusions
  • Nés à minuit - Tome 4: Frémissements
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • Evermore (The Immortals, #1)
  • Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1)
  • Fallen (Fallen, #1)
  • The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)
  • Marked (House of Night, #1)
  • Sweet Evil (Sweet, #1)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1; Nightshade World, #4)
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
  • Switched (Trylle #1)
  • Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)
  • Half-Blood (Covenant, #1)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
C. C. Hunter is the New York Times bestselling author of over thirty-five books, including her wildly popular Shadow Falls and Shadow Falls: After Dark series. In addition to winning numerous awards and rave reviews for her novels, C.C. is also a photojournalist, motivational speaker, and writing coach. In February 2018, Wednesday Books will publish her contemporary young adult and hardcover debut ...more

Shadow Falls (5 books)
  • Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Whether it’s magic schools, dystopias, paranormal love stories, or contemporary explorations of important real-life issues, young adult books...
“Just because a guy rings your bell, doesn't mean you have to toot his horn.” 335 likes
“She's a serial kisser. I think her parents are French.” 263 likes