Start by marking “The Miles Between” as Want to Read:
The Miles Between

The Miles Between

Destiny Faraday makes a point of keeping her distance from her classmates at Hedgebrook Academy. Her number-one rule: Don't get attached. But one day, unexpectedly finding a car at their disposal, Destiny and three of her classmates embark on an unauthorized road trip.

They're searching for one fair day--a day where the good guy wins and everything adds up to something just
Published January 4th 2011 by Square Fish (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Miles Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Miles Between

Start your review of The Miles Between
Arlene
Something I want?!?... I want four matching tires! I want oatmeal without lumps! I want a bed that will be mine, not just for a month or a year, but for the rest of my life! I want letters from home! I want my parents to know what its like to be abandoned! All I want is one day where the good guys win. One day where the world makes sense. Just one day, where the world is fair. Where it all adds up to what it should be. Just one single fair day...

Well I didnt know what to expect when I picked up
Janina
I really didnt expect The Miles Between to be the sad and strange (strange in a good way) story it turned out to be. I mean, apart from the deep secret mentioned in the summary, it sounds more like a fluffy and fun little road trip starring a main character who usually keeps her distance but discovers that friends do make life worth living no matter what your history is. In fact, the last part turned out to be true, but Destinys secret was much more heartbreaking than I had expected it to be.
Colleen Houck
What a twist at the end! I felt like I was on the road trip with them and now I want a pet lamb. I think I have a little bit of a numbers thing like the main character.
Sherwood Smith
I finished this today, and had to go wash the tears off my face and make some tea. What a wonderful story, brilliantly written, with agreeably complex characters and a plot whose magic is . . . oh, even that much is close to spoilers.

If you like Hilary McKay and Lucy Boston and Marilynne Robinson I think this story about four teens who run away from their boarding school to take a road trip in search of just one fair day--just one--will appeal.

~Tina~
A touching, deep and fun story about a road trip, four friends and the search for One Fair Day. Beautifully written, wonderful honest characters and plot that will pull at your heart strings.
A brilliant read.
Kristy
While reading this one, it was hard to believe the same author also wrote "The Adoration of Jenna Fox". The books are worlds apart and totally different, they do not feel like they were written by the same person. That's not really a bad thing... I guess it could be, but in this situation, definitely not. It's actually pretty impressive, "Jenna Fox" was very creative and original and so was "The Miles Between". If Mary E. Pearson has anymore books out there, I will definitely read them!

"The
Jill
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its October 19th, and teenager Destiny Faraday is beginning what appears to be just another normal day at one of the many boarding schools shes attended since her parents decided they didnt want her around when she was a young girl. However, that soon changes when Destiny meets a substitute calculus teacher after breakfast who asks her what she wishes. She says she would just like one fair day and almost immediately happens upon a car with the engine running. Just knowing that she is meant to ...more
Celia Buell
WOW! I did not expect to feel this much, and I honestly thought I wouldn't like this book, or that it would just be a stupid teen road trip novel like so many of them are. It was so much more than that. Friendship is the key element of the story, but you can see that even from the plot description. What I didn't realize was that it would also be about family, and about secrets, and everything else.

From the very beginning of the book, I loved Destiny's character. She thought she had everything
Rachael
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Destiny Faraday has perfected her presence at boarding school. She doesnt have friends, but she spends a little time in the company of a few people. She doesnt refuse to speak but keeps her talking to a minimum. Des has the boarding school life of predictability and routine down pat from her endless observations of those around her and from her number-one rule: Dont get attached. But things rarely go as one plans. When Des unexpectedly finds an abandoned running car, she realizes that although ...more
Michelle
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Original Review - Here!

There are stories that remain recorded in your memory and thanks to them you understand the why of loving literature so much; The Miles Between is one of those stories. The storys extract can be summarized with words like: coincidence, faith, destiny and second chances. The story begins with our narrator Destiny Faraday making us know the base of the world she lives in: where and why, well superficially see a bit of her previous story lived at Hedbrook Academy.
Margaret
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Sherwood Smith
Destiny Faraday can't get attached to her classmates at Hedgebrook Academy, because she knows that inevitably, she'll have to move along to another school. She sticks to her routine, staying quiet and observant, until one particular day, she meets a stranger who asks her what she wants most. Destiny tells him that she wants just one single fair day, "one day where the good guys win," and suddenly, she's embarking on a road trip with three of her classmates, where they'll find out what secrets ...more
Erin DuBrock
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I love, love, LOVED this book. From the very beginning I was caught up in the whirlwind of the characters wake. I have said this before, I love character driven books and this book has 4 really great characters that I will not forget.

One fair day, that's all they wanted and that was exactly what they all got. The unforseen turn of events that happens along the way is both coincidental and unexpected, which made the book that much more amazing. I never knew what the four of them were going to get
Paula  Phillips
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Destiny Faraday, October the 19th has never been a day she has loved and during the novel we are about to see why as on the day of what turns out to be her seventeenth birthday , her and three friends decide to skip school and go on a road trip -their destination is Langdon . Along the way, we see the four becoming really good friends and starting to share their secrets and also along the way they meet some interesting characters including but not limited too - the president of the USA and ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Coincidence, fate, destiny - how much of our lives do these control? Destiny Faraday believes these powers have been in control of her life since the day she turned seven.

Destiny is now seventeen; in fact, it is October 19th, her birthday. She pulls herself out of her bed at Hedgebrook Academy as a fellow boarding school student calls out "Breakfast, Des." At breakfast, she sits with the usual people and eats the same lumpy oatmeal
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard a lot of hype about Pearsons earlier book, The Adoration of Jenna Fox, but not as much about this one. I actually preferred this one of the two. I enjoyed the realisticyet magicalfeel to the story. I did see the ending coming, and I think perceptive teens might, too. All in all, its a feel-good coming of age story. This might be a great choice for teens who enjoyed Walk Two Moons.

My Booktalk:

Destiny Faraday never lets any of her classmates get close to her. In fact, her number one
Kailia
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book Ive read by Mary E. Pearson. Ive heard a lot about her book The Adoration of Jenna Fox but Ive never actually read that one either. So I wasnt sure what to expect from The Miles Between. The cover was interesting and the summary sounded good too but would the book be good? Yes, yes the book would be good. The Miles Between was my first book my Mary E. Pearson and it sure isnt going to be the last.

The writing was so perfect. I cant explain just how much I loved it. The way
Ken
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, finished-in-2009
What if you decided to write a book about CHANCE? (First of all, what are the odds of even THINKING of this?) What if you commandeered (say, by chance, from the Internet) all kinds of interesting coincidences from history that just happened by chance like, say, that old warhorse about Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy? (You know, numbers, vice-presidents' names, Ford names, etc.)

All very cool. Now open your book with all kinds of wild and crazy chances, like a good girl (who feels neglected)
Lauren
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
After reading The Adoration Of Jenna Fox last year, I just knew Mary E. Pearson was an author who had a true and never ending talent for writing books and The Miles Between proves this even further. Well, to me at least.

From the start you are captured by the tale of Destiny Faraday who was supposedly abandoned by her parents and younger brother at the age of seven leaving her to spend the rest of her childhood and teen years in boarding schools making do the best she can given the criticisms.
Tabitha Olson
This is partly a story of strange coincidence, and partly a story of how things are not always what they seem. Destiny begins to understand this on the road trip she goes on with her classmates, and she realizes that she doesn't see as much as she thinks she does. This sets her on a path toward truth, and then the reader sees more things that aren't what they seem.

This plot is extremely well-crafted. The balance between coincidence and the deliberate is precarious, but the author walks that line
Emma
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vine
October 19 is not going to be a good day.

For some people this would be an educated guess. For Destiny Faraday it is a bleak statement of fact. It is also part of why she tries so hard to never get attached. To anything or anyone.

October 19 has never been a good day for Des, which is why she crumples the day's calendar page before the day has even started.

What was supposed to be a throw away day suddenly turns into something else. Thanks to an encounter with an odd stranger and the sudden
Adriana
4.5 stars. First off I think this book would do a lot better with different cover art. The cover fits the story in a way, but it doesn't grab someone that is looking at the book on a shelf, and that's a shame because the story is really, really good. Destiny has been away from her parents and little brother since she was 7 years old. She has gone from boarding school to boarding school always making sure that she doesn't get too attached to any place or anyone. Money is plentiful in her family, ...more
Katie
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Wow! I don't know what to say about The Miles Between. I am speechless. I feel like whatever I say won't adequately praise this book. I started it and I couldn't put it down until I was finished with it. There was no dragging me away from this one. =]

The Miles Between is the story of four very different teenagers thrown together by a road trip. Well at least that's what the synopsis says. What the synopsis doesn't say is that it is so much more than that. It's a story of numbers, coincidences,
Nola
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so I just finished this at 1 am in the morning and i just started it five hours ago on thxgiving but just couldn't put it down. at first I did not enjoy the book- and honestly was deciding wether or not i should just stop reading it for the first half of it but im so glad i finished it. SPOILER ALERT!!!! DO NOT READ THIS IS YOU HAVENT ALREADY READ THE BOOK!! SERIOUSLY IT WILL TOTALLY RUIN IT!::::::: i cried/ still am crying when i found out that her parents were dead. i totally hated her parents ...more
Jess
Engrossing and compelling and mildly suspenseful while I read it, this one didn't have quite the same staying power as The Adoration of Jenna Fox. It would be an interesting one to reread right away, to see all the clues and foreshadowing for what they really are. The whole story is pretty tightly constructed and kept me guessing until just before the reveal. However, the characters don't stick in my mind as much as the tone of the book. It's full of improbably coincidences as the characters ...more
Another weepy! I really liked The Adoration of Jenna Fox, so I was looking forward to this book by Pearson. Destiny, while living in the realistic fiction present, has as many problems with identity as Jenna. Her main quirk is that she's great at noticing, and examining, things and finding linkage where others might find mere coincidence (for example, she trots out the old Lincoln/Kenney list).

On this, her "one fair day" she and four of her breakfast mates go AWOL from their boarding school.
Suzanne
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A departure from the speculative fiction of The Adoration of Jenna Fox, here Pearson focuses on four teens from a boarding school called Hedgebrook Academy, primarily Destiny Faraday, who has pin-balled from school to school, never attaching herself to anyone, seemingly because her parents can't stand her and never see her. All that changes the day she skips class, talks to a mysterious stanger who asks her what she really wants, and then finds a convertible with the keys in it in the parking ...more
Amy
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Pearson has this incredible talent for writing insanely complex characters. Characters you dont fully understand until the end of the book. The Adoration of Jenna Fox was like this, with Jenna slowly learning who she was, and in this book, Destiny is a character you dont fully understand until the end of the book.

I read this really quickly (started it at night and finished it the next day). It was very compelling and it felt like I had to because the whole book takes place over one day.
Holly
This was an amazing book! It's about one day in the life of four teens from a boarding school who embark on a (rather short) road trip, in search of JUST ONE FAIR DAY, and learn so much about each other and themselves in the process. I cried like a baby. Sad at times, yet so hopeful in the end. Pearson's writing is sheer perfection; there is not one wasted word, yet everything she says is so beautifully written. I absolutely loved Destiny, and the other three characters - Seth, Mira, and Aidan - ...more
Marthe
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
I was seriously underwhemed by this offering from the author of The Adoration of Jenna Fox. It's a road trip story with an endlessly self-analysing narrator who manages to travel through a decade of therapy in a day with three other outcasts on an unauthorized field trip from school. The big surprise toward the ending was not a surprise and prompted an even higher level of implausibility on what preceeded.
Holly
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author of another one of my favorite books, The Adoration of Jenna Fox, comes along with a new novel about a girl named Destiny. Destiny is on mission to have a perfect day, and with the help of three new friends, a pink car, and baby lamb, the day may just turn out to be quite surprising. To say more would give away the magic of this little book that kept me up well past my bedtime. Highly recommended!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Confessions
  • Stay
  • Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels
  • Locked Inside
  • The Captain's Bride (Northern Lights, #1)
  • More: From Messes to Miracles
  • The Crazy School (Madeline Dare, #2)
  • Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • In the House in the Dark of the Woods
  • Wicked Lies (Wicked, #2; Colony, #4)
  • Wicked Game (Wicked, #1; Colony, #1)
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights, #3)
  • Deep Harbor
  • The Red Garden
  • Asylum (Martine LeDuc, #1)
  • Gnomon
  • Crystal Cove (Friday Harbor, #4)
  • Luna
Mary E. Pearson is the NYT bestselling and award-winning author of eleven YA novels and one novella. Her works include the completed trilogy, The Remnant Chronicles, which in a starred review, Publishers Weekly called masterfully crafted. Her favorite activities as a child were climbing tall trees imagining she was a hero in some fantastical world, or running along fence tops and roofs pretending ...more