Start by marking “Just Beyond the Clouds (Cody Gunner, #2)” as Want to Read:
Just Beyond the Clouds (Cody Gunner, #2)

Just Beyond the Clouds (Cody Gunner #2)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  4,729 Ratings  ·  211 Reviews
#1 bestselling author Karen Kingsbury tells the heartwrenching story of Cody Gunner, a widower fighting for stability, and the woman who wants to help him trust again--even when trust is the most terrifying thing of all.

Still aching over his wife's death, Cody Gunner can't bear the thought of also letting go of his Down's Syndrome brother, Carl Joseph. Cody wants his broth
Published September 14th 2007 by Center Street (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Just Beyond the Clouds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Beyond the Clouds

Jenna
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book reminded me of a cheesy lifetime movie!
Sarah Smith
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading "A Thousand Tomorrows," I was so very excited to learn that there was a sequel the book that captured my attention and heart so completely. I had invested so much time, energy, and emotion into getting to know Cody Gunner and Ali Daniels -- not to mention falling in love with the love story that they shared -- so I could not wait to see the plans that God had for Cody's growth in his personal relationship with Jesus Christ and his future happiness. Even though I was saddened by the ...more
Cindy
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A Beautiful Book.
Lena Morrison
Nov 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Did not like this book!
Karen
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another Kingsbury book in my quest to go back and read all of her books. As good as the rest of her work. I enjoyed reading about Downs Syndrome.
Stephanie Dulac
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cody Gunner Series is great!!! i loved everything about this book :)
Vikki Vaught
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, emotional love story. I love Carl Joseph and Daisy. Their group stole the show. I’m so glad Cody found his happy ending. Happy reading/listening!
Nancy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
have read this twice. LOVE IT
Rachel
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is great. If you have read the book A Thousand Tomorrows you will love this one. It is the second book to the Cody Gunner series. In this book he meets a women named Elle. They both have gone through losses of marriage. Cody is a widower. His wife died from cystic fibrosis a few years back. He still would wear his wedding ring around not wanting to let go of Ali. Before Ali died she told him she wants him to get married again and be happy. This book talks about his faith along with his ...more
Candace
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This was interesting for me. I have mainly only read Lori Wick in the category of Christian romantic fiction, so I was unused to Kingsbury's style. That being said, I wasn't as drawn to the characters and some of the story. The parts concerning Carl Joseph and Daisy I found fascinating. I appreciate her portrayal of people with Down Syndrome; she didn't make them caricatures or oversize children. She showed that they are people as well with limitations. The romance between Carl Joseph and Daisy, ...more
Denise
I really enjoy Karen Kingsbury books. The stories and dialogue flow so easily that I find them a pleasure to read. This book is a follow-up to her earlier book A Thousand Tomorrows. It involves Cody Gunner, a professional rodeo bull rider and his brother, Carl Joseph, who has Down's Syndrome. Cody has a lot of trouble accepting that his brother could learn to be self-sufficient. Cody battles Elle, Carl Joseph's teacher, in an attempt to protect his brother from what he perceives as the inherent ...more
Brittany
Feb 23, 2009 added it
Shelves: q3-2009
Karen Kingsbury, who is the author of Just Beyond the Clouds, wrote a beautiful love story. Cody Gunner, who is a bull rider is still aching over the death of his wife and cant even bear the thought of losing his bother, who has down syndrome, but life for Cody was going to take an unexpected turn. Taking place in Elle Dalton's classroom where Cody's brother, Carl Joseph, went to school. I really did enjoy this book, it had me hanging on until the last page. If you like love story's and are a fa ...more
Christine
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Sequel to A Thousand Tomorrows which I didn't know beforehand but didn't affect my ability to follow the story.

The story of two adults from different families who both have an adult sibling with Downs Syndrome and want the best for them, although they don't agree on what is best. Each has experienced emotional drama in their lives which has a huge influence on their present and how they look out for their siblings.

I listened to this one on CD but would recommend reading the book instead. I
Tristi
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Karen Kingsbury quite a bit. She knows how to write an emotionally satisfying romance without compromising her Christian beliefs. This story, about a man and woman who each have a sibling with Down Syndrome, was educational and uplifting. I learned a lot about the syndrome and the dedicated people who work to increase other's awareness of the truly inspirational potential these special spirits have.
Mara
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: karen-kingsbury
Fabulous! Back to the library for more of her books.

Cody, and Elle are great examples of what God can do for us when we "let go and let God" handle our problems. He could not imagine his brother being able to enjoy life as he wanted him too. But as he moved out of the way and watched the relationships that Carl Joseph developed at the center, Cody was able to allow God to soften his own heart and fall in love with Elle.
I can see the movie in my head!
Jessica
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
What a very inspirational book! The book not only focused on relationships but how to do good for others and how to not just judge a book by its outer cover (or a person by their outside appearance, in this case) and it showed how some people who you may not think knows too much about life may know a bit more than you do.
Heidi
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I liked the first book I read from this series, but I decided to try another one, and I really am starting to like them. It's an easy read, and I don't have to worry about unwanted swear words or inappropriate content. There's already enough smut in my everday world, that I don't feel like I need to read more of it. Thanks Karen Kingsbury for your decency.
Adina
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
What a cute story. I met Karen Kingsbury at Fred Meyer after I read this. I complimented her on the way she portrayed down syndrome throughout the book. A job well done in my opinion, because I have a daughter with DS.
Lorrie
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book even as much as the first in the series. It's a heart warming story about life's pains and the ability to move on, with the help of God. I loved the Down Syndrome characters and the way Cody and Elle could see the simplicity of love through these handicapped individuals.
Jodi
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by Karen Kingsbury! Couldn't put the book down!
Jerry
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A breathtaking sequel.
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Heather
I'm in love! The "regular" characters, the story and the "special" characters too. The second set grabbed me, as I have personal experience here. LOVE THIS BOOK!!
Oksana
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A perfect sequel to 'A Thousand Tomorrows'!!!!
Karen
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just finished the second installment of the Cody Gunner series. It was great, touching, loving and forgiving. I lost myself in this book. Thank you Karen Kingsbury for another great series.
Shannon Bernier
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
whata great book recommend this to any one who has had a down sydroym brother
Sue
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a hidden desire to be surrounded by Christians who are not quiet about their love of God. I want to go to Bible studies and learn to pray in earnest. I want to be a better person than I am.
I love reading Karen Kingsbury's books. Her stories are like Hallmark movies for me - they make me feel good, even though I know from page one how they are going to turn out. Every single story I have read of hers has drawn me in - I have cried countless tears reading her stories, they have infused in
Diana H.
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cody Gunner has come home after the death of his wife Allie. He is trying to make sense of his life and decide where his life should go next, he is faced with the very real possibility of losing his younger brother C.J.
C.J. has Down's syndrome but wants to be a man and become independent. With his health issues this is a very scary prospect for the people who love him the most - including Cody.
Sis
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book several years ago and fell in love with Carl Joseph and Daisy!!:) They made me feel really happy about their friendship! I also have the audiobook on my phone and iPod and love hearing it too!! I pray that this novel becomes a Hallmark movie as I’m still waiting “just beyond the clouds”...😊
Barbara
This is a beautiful story about the joy and innocence of those with Down’s Syndrome and the abilities they can demonstrate. Unconditional love, clean romance, faith, and working through grief are also topics that are explored. I loved this story!
Cheryl
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book felt very dated, the attitudes towards people with disabilities and Down's Syndrome especially seemed very dated. The book didn't have much action, and I agree with the reviewer who said that reading the book felt "like watching a cheesy Lifetime movie."
review 1 20 Jun 23, 2009 12:49AM
  • Emerald Windows
  • The Long Road Home (A Place Called Home, #3)
  • The Marriage Wish
  • Halos
  • The Crossroad (Amish Country Crossroads, #2)
  • Peculiar Treasures (Katie Weldon, #1)
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. Her Baxter Family books are being developed into a TV series slated f ...more
More about Karen Kingsbury

Cody Gunner (2 books)
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
“sunshine is just beyond the clouds" Carl Joesph Gunner” 55 likes
“You don’t love someone you lie to. And you don’t lie to someone you love.” 14 likes