Start by marking “Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 1: The Charmer” as Want to Read:
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 1: The Charmer

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 1: The Charmer (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned #1 issues #1-5)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  2,512 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
BEST-SELLING AUTHOR LAURELL K. HAMILTON'S FAN-FAVORITE VAMPIRE HUNTER RETURNS! Anita Blake walked away from her last case with more than a few bruises--but those wounds are nothing compared to the scrapes that lie ahead in this blood-soaked adaptation of Hamilton's third erotic thriller. To find a killer targeting the undead, Anita must descend into the dangerous, supernat ...more
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 120 pages
Published February 9th 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter

I struggled to get through this. Being a graphic novel, that says a lot. I very nearly quit when two females were told to fight (I won't share why since it's a spoiler). But believe me, it was lame. The characters had no substance. The story wasn't engaging. And the way Jean-Claude kept calling her "ma petite" drove me crazy. I won't bother to read more of this series.
Review of Circus of the Damned vol. 1-3.

Definitely my favorite Anita Blake graphic novel. Not only did this one have a new artist, but the new guy managed to make the characters look more lifelike, less manga-ish, and that’s a plus in my book. The story itself was really engrossing. I'm sorry girls (you now who you are!) but the graphic novels managed to draw me into the world like my Kindle copy of Guilty Pleasures never did - and now I'm hooked! *Checks for pimples… there might be one on my le
Oct 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was recommended to me by someone because I liked American Vampire. If I had known it was as badly written as True Blood I would have stayed miles away from it.
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I do enjoy a light read occasionally, going for a graphic novel or Manga over a novel. I needed something to send me to sleep last night, and I'd bought this yesterday. I have read most of Laurell K Hamilton's books anyway, and even some of the other graphic novels, just not this one. I love Anita and how she is drawn, it is absolutely spot on. Her lips are even sexy! A great book for fellow Anita Blake fans, highly recommend :)
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The next first novel of three graphic novels to represent the third book in the Anita Blake series and with a new artist! A lot of people were complaining about the new artist in reviews but I actually like this new artist, makes it look like it's more real rather than manga-ish (which I do NOT like).

This novel follows Anita as a new body is found with multiple vampire bites, leading her to believe a master vampire has a rogue pack. Anita believes everything is fine with the body, but then begin
Becky Hodson
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although I have read the original print book several times, I have been looking for this for a while. I have not been disappointed. I love the art work throughout the book. It fits Laurell K. Hamilton 's words incredibly well. The characters look pretty much how I imagined them - which says a lot for Hamilton's descriptive powers - and the conversion from print to graphic novel has been done brilliantly.

If you like vampire fiction that features strong, self-assured women who are sometimes a lit
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read the novel years ago and while it the same story I love seeing the character depictions esspically because they match so closely to what I visualized. It great revisiting one of my favorite Anita Blake books in a graphic novel format.
Fiona Jay
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! (Rave) Ok so the women are drawn as perfect specimens (comment Dylan Horrocks) but so are the men, so this beautifully drawn series is well balanced. Laurell K Hamiltons plots are great. I Anita's hard-nosed, suffering no fools gladly character.
Soobie can't sleep at night
OK, OK, OK... I didn't remember Jean-Claude being so possessive and always trying to control Anita. And wanting her to admit that she's his human servant. Maybe it's the 30-year-old spinster in me talking but that bothered me a lot. The part where Jean-Claude and Anita were discussing was the most boring in the whole book.

Another thing that I can't digest properly is the fact that the artist changed in this volume and the drawings are a bit different than the ones in the previous volumes. And it
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a really awesome graphic novel. I have tried a few times to read the print versions of Anita Blake Vampire Hunter. I have had trouble with the print versions understanding the characters and why they are important. I did not have any trouble jumping in to this graphic novel. The story and the characters are immediately understandable and I can't wait to pick up the next one! The art is outstanding and lends a complete picture of the characters and their emotions.

Appeal: gritty, compellin
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Camille, Kevin, Brian
Recommended to Jeff by: Found it on the Library Shelves
Shelves: fantasy
Graphic Novel adaptation of Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. Obviously not as deep and informed as the actual novels themselves, this is simply an illustrated introduction, if you will, of what is in store for the reader willing to pick up the novels and delve in.
rk 7
A fun universe to spend some time in, you can’t help but compare to the True Blood series but I have to say in terms of organizing the supernatural world meets real world I found this universe a little more consistent and fun. The art was great too; I hope the library keeps getting these books.

Cupof Tea
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire-books
I've been really enjoying the Anita Blake graphic novels. The stories can be told in such a short format, and the pictures are sooooooo pretty. A good way to recap the series and recall how Richard first meets Anita in this first book of Circus of the Damned.

Unfortunately, I have Book 3, but not Book 2. Gotta make an Amazon order soon I think.
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Favourite Character: Edward

The actual book was better. Not as good as I thought it was going to be. I pretty much gave it a four because I vaguely remember giving the novel a five.

Anita annoys me in even these books now because I know she turns into a monster-fucking-tramp and I don't even remember how the hell that happened in the first place.
Isn't it silly that whilst I was reading this, I kept wanting to shout "No Anita, don't do it!". Having read the books, I thought I'd see what this graphic novel adaption was like. Overall I'd say it was very good. It stuck to the plot , retained the dynamism of the books and although the images of the characters weren't drawn as I'd imagined them, I enjoyed it.
Story of course is wonderful, and a fun refresher for the older books - especially nice review when Hamilton has a new Anita coming out, as she does so often. Art - well, satisfying enough, I still miss Brett Booth's Anita, and is is most noticable when his art is featured on the cover but not within the pages.
Alice Rachel
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book goes back to the first novels, when I still liked Anita and when Richard was nice and cute and that I liked him a LOT (before he turned into a jealous and possessive macho alpha male). Can't wait till they start dating.
The drawings are beautiful.
Edward is still one of my favs.
The only thing this book is missing is sweet Nathaniel. ; )
Michelle Cristiani
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book translates really well to a graphic novel. Giant cobras! Vampire battles! Crime scenes! It's an action-packed book, taking you back to the time when Jean-Claude was scary, Richard was sweet, and Anita Blake solved crimes.
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The graphics in the beginning were a little weird to me, especially the faces. By the middle, they started to get more consistent. I so far have been very happy with all the graphic novels in this series.
Tony Calder
This isn't an Anita Blake book that I have read, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the adaptation. However, the artwork is good without being breathtaking, and the story feels like an Anita Blake story, so that's good. This isn't the complete adaptation, just the first part.
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of the series and read this as a way to complete 20 GN's for a class I am taking. I was pleasantly surprised! It is a great adaptation and the art is really pretty. I was sad to see that Marvel ended the run after 3 novel adaptations, but I plan to read all of them.
I'm not sure I really liked the way the artist portrayed Anita's character. She didn't seem right on the eye to me-- like the hourglass figure was a little too bulbous.
Carline Rucker
Really like this book. Anita Blake is really a fighter and won't take not stuff. She seem to hold her ground.
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Still following along with the novel. It was great to put a face to Richard tho!
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the one with the big snake battle.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I mean it does have its moments and does get interesting. A little crazy but makes for a good read. Anyway, once I'm caught up with these, then maybe I'll continue with the book series.
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
"Marvel"ous take on Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. Artists captured a lot of same things I pictured in my head. DEFinitely don't think that Jean Claude and Anita look that similar though. Eeew.
Elliott Chandler
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Awesome! Ordered the second one in the series. Dark, seductive, gritty! The illustrations worked, and movement portrayed. Loved it.
  • Richelle Mead's The Dark Swan: Storm Born
  • The Dark-Hunters, Vol. 3 (Dark-Hunter Manga, #3)
  • Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 3
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • Witchblade, Volume 1: Witch Hunt
  • Grimm Fairy Tales:  Tales from Wonderland vol 1
  • Blood Work (The Hollows Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Blue Bloods: The Graphic Novel
  • Vampire Kisses: Graveyard Games, Volume 1
  • Witchblade Origins Volume 1
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 7
  • Sword of Darkness  (Lords of Avalon Graphic Novels #1)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned (3 books)
  • Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 2: The Ingenue
  • Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 3: The Scoundrel

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Grand Tour: or The Purloined Coronation Regalia (Cecilia and Kate, #2)
  • Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion