Start by marking “The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides” as Want to Read:
The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides

The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  839 ratings  ·  46 reviews
When we learn to present naked, we reach our audiences by communicating the essence of the message, stripping away all that is unnecessary and embracing the ideas of simplicity, clarity, honesty, integrity, and passion. If "slideware" is used, the slides never steal the show or rise above serving a strong but simple supportive role. The ideas in the presentation may or may ...more
Published December 9th 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published October 31st 2010)

Kim Pallister
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
[cross-posted from my blog at www.kimpallister.com]
Recently, I was exchanging email with a colleague on the subject of presentations when he brought up Nancy Duarte's books, which I'd read some time ago, and given a positive review to at least one of them. One of the books that came up was Garr Reynolds Presentation Zen, which I'd also liked. It turned out he had a more recent book out, The Naked Presenter, and so I decided to give it a read.

It's okay, but I can't recommend it as highly as his p
Lynda Felder
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous for those who want to become better speakers. You can’t help but feel the book has powerful messages, just by flipping through its pages. Reynolds, as you would expect, practices his own Zen presentation skills, keeping the content simple and straightforward without the fussy marginalia and cartoonish icons for hot tips and so-called bright ideas that typically appear in such books. The book flows smoothly, with seven logical chapters that cover what Reynolds defines as the ...more
Rowan Manahan
Jan 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Not good at all. Reynolds' strength lies in design and he should stick to the knitting. He is not a speechwriter and not a presentation coach, so his advice - while fundamentally sound - rings hollow to me throughout this book. There are no new ideas here and the ideas he does propound are not particularly well-written. Also, the book lacks examples - say, of of a presentation evolving from it an early draft to a strong final version with the reasons for the changes clearly highlighted.

There is
Reid
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Garr Reynolds, but if you've read his other two books about delivering presentations, this one doesn't add much more to the conversation. He re-quotes his favorite authors (Dan Pink and the Heath Brothers) and speakers (o-sensei, Ken Robinson). Some of the new content feels like wishy-washy filler (particularly "Lessons from the Bamboo"). I've always enjoyed how Reynolds incorporates elements of Japanese culture into his approach to presentations, but some of his examples here f ...more
Наталія
книжку можна було скоротити разів у 4. від того зміст би не постраждав. текст написаний "американським" стилем - приторно-легким, без особливого концентрату суті. паралелі між мистецтвом презентацій та східною культурою інколи притягнуті за вуха. проте, автор згадує багато імен авторів світових бізнес-бестселерів - можливо комусь стане у нагоді. треба визнати що є кілька корисних порад і цікавих ракурсів на презентування про які мені не доводилось задумуватися раніше. і взагалі, прочитавши сіє д ...more
Amy Enderle
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you teach public speaking or simply find yourself being asked to present your ideas, this book has some brilliant insight. It's one to read.
Hongbo Shi
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read for any Organization relies on presentation to make decisions...and of course don't forget to have conversations, dialogs and debates.

Liked the metaphors in the book that links Japanese culture to thee ways of doing things. E.g. " hadaka no tsukiai" janapnese likes to go to hot spring bath after work. There is no cloth, no hierarchy, no barriers, no formality...just naked truth/conversation in the pool.
I know what to do in next team building...
Erran
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
The content is 4 star but I take 1 star out for the presentation of the book, so ordinary, boring and lack of creativity. After reading Resonate by Nancy Duarte, a book teaches you similar techniques but with much better design, I struggled to enjoy this book. Another star lost due to too much overlap of content with another book of the author.
Shirin
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: presentations
An inspiring read which I recommend for presenters/public speakers who exercise meditation, Yoga, or martial arts, enjoy the serenity they experience leading this type of lifestyle, and would like to make it part of their professional life, namely, embracing Zen presentation art in their delivery scheme.
Bogdan Albina
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: public-library
Another exceptional book by Garr Reynolds. It's about how to create an engaging presentation and how to be engaging and concise. How to have a conversation and how to get close to your audience. How you don't need slides to present your idea in an efficient way.
Frank Rodrigue
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is very insightful for those that struggle with the skill of presenting in front of audiences. However, this book will leave you wanting more at the end. I guess the author is coherent with his statement advocating that a cup filled at 80% is more useful than a cup filled completely.
Niha
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is awesome for public speakers who wants to get better in speaking skills. And i would recommend this to my friends.
Ariadna73
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, business
Little abstract of what this book says:
1. Naturalness and the art of presenting naked
Quote: To express yourself is the most important thing Shunryu Suzuki
Books on preparation Presentation Zen ''Design ii l' Design
Communication experts = Bert Decker; Carmine Gallo; Nancy Duarte; cliff Atkinson
Presenting Naked = connecting and engaging with the audience
2. Preparation
Initially -> No computers.
Ask why target the whole person
story telling -> Contrast
3. Punch-Presence-Projection
Mistake -> lon
Loy Machedo
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing

To come out with a book on Presentations that is Different, Unique, and Original is quite a task. And then to speak of the same old adage of Communication – the fundamentals, the tricks and tips of public speaking in a Never-Done-Before format is an even harder task – if not impossible. There are tons of Educational Material out there, so to stand out – well that is ‘Mission Impossible’.

But when you least expect it – lightning strikes. And in the lines of Nancy Duarte (slide:ology), Mitch Joel (
Sten Vesterli
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good book for experienced speakers on how to create engaging presentations. It places a lot of emphasis on thinking your topic and content through, identifying why you want and need to give the presentation and what you want the audience to do differently afterwards, which will in itself improve many presentations.

Much of the presentation advice focuses on achieving the elusive "authenticness" and connection to the audience that excellent speakers have. Telling stories is one way to do it, bu
Jonathan Cassie
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a sworn adherent to the principles Reynold's outlines in his fantastic "Presentation Zen." If you're reading this review and you haven't read it, go get it right now. It deserves 6-stars...really. This isn't a rehash, but there is certain degree of overlap with the themes and ideas from PZ in this book. I still found it super helpful and Reynolds' writing is accessible and clear. I will be putting his ideas to work in my own presentations. If they help as much as PZ did with presentations, ...more
Joshua Guest
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Some people love Garr Reynolds. I just like him. His books are overpriced, but they are very pretty. And they can be useful if you can remember and apply the three different volumes he has written on presentations (Presentation Zen, Presentation Zen Design, and Naked Presenter).

I may have to read it again to really appreciate it. But I trust in the book's main premise that great presenters strip away all the unnecessary and communicate a simple message with passion and transparency.
Erik
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really like Garr Reynolds so I was really dissappointed by The Naked Presenter. It was very abstract without being thoeretical enough to give real, actionable advice. Typical advice would be "be humble but be bold". Maybe I have read too many presentation books but I did not learn anything here. If you haven't read it yet, you should ckeck out Presentation Zen instead.
Mark Terry
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book and a joy to read. I very much enjoyed the integration of design and message into a coherent gestalt. A book in which the medium truly is the message. I did not find startling truths in the message - variations on common presentation wisdom. However, Reynolds presents it in such a wonderful manner that I did not mind.
Itasca Community Library
Tuki says:

I have read many books on public speaking but this has to be one of the best. The author lives in Japan and is an ardent believer in Zen culture. He has liberally used analogies from the Japanese in the book to get his point across in a simplistic and effective manner. I can’t wait to read some of his other books-Presentation Zen and Presentation Zen Design.
Alexander Belotserkovskiy
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Naked Presenter is a very good book as it provides a many insights into how to be a good presenter. Author don't use very common ways of telling how to do that and this, still provides very useful tips and tricks. I highly recommend that book.
mellyana
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to, management
Not that you are going to find how to make a presentation, but it's more on how to prepare yourself to present. Things that people often forget because we are all too caught up in that .ppt bullet points.
Pam
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It is so helpful. Many of ideas and techniques are not necessarily new but they help you imagine how to use them in your own presentations. All the way through I was making notes in margins of how I can implement the ideas to have more engaging presentations.
Ietrio
Apr 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
Nice try. Cute stock photos. Like on a discount wall calendar named Japan. Cute quotes. References to "bestselling" books. And the authors own "exotic" experience. And all amounts to a corny piece of junk like a cheap Eiffel tower key chain.
Kurt
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Three stars is probably a little low for this book. I would give it a solid 3.5 stars. It has some great tips for presenting. It seemed a bit disjointed and bit philosophical at times but had many gems I will use in my future presenting.
Tyler Scheff
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Had to read this for a class. Although it presented some GREAT ideas and wonderful new tactics to use for my future public speaking, it's almost like it just repeated itself over, and over, and over.
Manuel Frias
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: presentation
Reynolds made it again. After writing about preparation and design in his first books, now he focuses on delivery. Good advice for delivering ideas in a engaging, powerful but also humble way to connect with the audience.
Leo
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Had some good tips but mostly repeat information from the other books I've read on the subject.
Tevilla
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The most excellent book on presentations skills. And I have read most of them. If you read only one book to help you improve when presenting, make it this one.

Strongly recommend.

Joseph McBee
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice introduction to presentation skills.
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • The Non-Designer's Presentation Book: Principles for Effective Presentation Design
  • 100 Things Every Presenter Needs to Know About People
  • The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint: Pitching Out Corrupts Within
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Lend Me Your Ears: All you need to know about making speeches and presentations
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • How To Deliver A TED Talk: Secrets Of The World's Most Inspiring Presentations
  • The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs
  • Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances
“The one thing that all successful people have in common is persistence,” 1 likes
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” 0 likes