Start by marking “Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)” as Want to Read:
Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)

Coalition's End (Gears of War #4)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  1,259 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Understand what a world had to do to survive.

When the Locust Horde burst from the ground fifteen years ago to slaughter the human population of Sera, mankind began a desperate war against extinction. Now after a decade and a half of bloody fighting, and with billions dead, the survivors—the Gears of the Coalition of Ordered Governments, along with a small band of civilian

Published August 2nd 2011 by Gallery (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Coalition's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coalition's End

seak
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review, 2011
Gears of War: Coalition's End is technically the 4th book in a series that Karen Traviss has penned for the video game franchise. It is also touted as a bridge novel for the Gears of War trilogy and the Gears of War 3 video game coming out in September this year.

It's been a long time since I've played Gears of War.

I've never read Karen Traviss, but have heard good things.

It was time to remedy this situation at least partly by giving Gears of War: Coalition's End a go... and now I might just h
Stuart
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
"It’s all getting a little bat-shit crazy out here. Well use a cloth, that’s what it’s for you idiot"

I almost wrote this review with the ending at the beginning – nothing wrong with that really. Just think of watching Star Wars in reverse;

Star Wars synopsis

Maniacal-bad-guy-killer-who-turns-into-a-blue-milk-drinking-whiny-teenager.

The new film would have

Moody-emo-listened-to-too-much-MarylinManson-wanna-hurt-the-world-so-you-can-share-in-my-non-existent-angst. (From the bad-guys perspective).
Michael
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, science-fiction
I thought this one outstayed it's welcome. With so little left remaining to be said about our merry bunch of Gears doing their survival routine I found it hard to reengage with characters. Characterisation is fine as always but there is very little plot left to reveal. Baird's damn data disc will wait for Game 3 as will all the Prescott stuff. Some of the Emergence Day stories are interesting but again mainly superfluous. It doesn't help that Gears are stuck with battling Stalks and Polyps which ...more
Phillip Dimarzo
If you are in any way a Gears fan you have to read Karen Traviss books. The four books make up all the backstory the games don't give, and act as a prequel for Gears of War 3.
I do not understand how people will know whats happening in Gears 3 without reading these books. And Traviss is a really great writer not just some hack hired to churn out a fast tie in to make a buck from fans. Epic games have trusted her to guide the course of all Gears property's with her storylines. The book Coalitions
Nick Raines
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like The Slab this fills in a chunk of time hinted at in the games, but not really explored and once again we get 3 dimensional characters in an interesting backdrop. The remnants of the COG are now holed up on a tiny farming island know as Vectes, they are desperate and a new threat other than Locusts are making things even more desperate. Like The Slab interestingly game hero Marcus Fenix is a background character with Dom, Hoffman, Bernie, Baird, Dizzy and Cole aka The Cole Train filling in a ...more
Farindra Tamin
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned
Bought this one on sale. Did not expect much.
Had read the other series of books that also based on Games.
But this one is actually good. Has more interesting characters.
Never played the game myself, so had some trouble following the story lines and terms.
Eric
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good installment in the GOW series. Suspenseful and somber, especially at the end.
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
For those of you who may not know, Gears of War is an insanely popular series of video games. The first game sold five million copies, and the second sold about four million. Author Karen Traviss saw a trailer for the game and was inspired to write a book about it, which she did in 2008. She followed up that book with two more in 2009 and 2010, and then was signed on by Epic Games to write the third game, which was released in September of 2011. This fourth novel, Coalition’s End , was written ...more
Thee_ron_clark
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
To be fair to this book and its author, I must point a few things. First of all, I have only played the Gears of War video games a few times. I found that I was terrible at the original and had no desire to play any others until my friend and I tag teamed one of them a bit. With that, I am definitely lacking much of the details offered in the games that might have aided me in understanding this book's universe more. I also have not read any of the previous novels in this series.

Beyond that, I wa
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I have so enjoyed reading this series! When I tell people it's based on a video game I always get the weird eye from people but I tell them all the same thing; whether this was based on a video game or not, it is still one of the best war stories I've ever read. The characters that we've learned to love, hate, and/or respect throughout this series don't get many breaks. The war is at their doorstep and this time there's nowhere to run except for back the way they came.

For those that have played
Osiris
Si bien le falla un poco el ritmo y en algunas partes hay un poco de sentimiento de Deus Ex Machina, el libro es bastante interesante, en este (al igual que en los anteriores) intenta llevar historias en diferentes líneas de tiempo, por un lado lo que pasa justo después del Emergency Day, especificamente por un lado con Dizzy y su familia, y por otro lado con unos Cole y Baird como novatos Gears y por un tercer lado con Bernie Mataki.

La trama no es tan buena, en realidad no avanza tanto en termi
Diayll
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the game
4 out of 5
ARC provided by Gallery Books

Quick Review:

Gears of War (for those of you who are not gamers) is the action packed 3rd-person shooter from Epic Studios. There are 3 games in the series; with the last one released this past September. Gears of War: Coalition’s End takes place between Gears of War: Anvil Gate and Gears of War 3, bridging the gap between the third book and the third game. It is a welcomed addition to the Gears universe, offering insight to Emergence Day, while shedding lig
Steve Johnson
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: video-game
I've read this book in 2011, after having played Gears of War 1 and 2, when I was eagerly anticipating the release of Gears of War 3. The story takes place after Gears of War: Anvil's Gate and takes place prior the events depicted in Gears of War 3. This book was a bit longer than the others and is at times slower, but in my opinion this isn't a huge problem. It sets the campaign of Gears of War 3 up very nicely and I felt like I had a huge advantage by reading these books when I played through ...more
Adam
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read in this series! Powerful emotions, good action, intrigue, it really had it all. Karen Traviss has a wonderful handle on this universe and the characters in it. Without knowing much of anything about the games, these books have managed to bring me into the world of Sera, the COG, and the Gears and made me care about them and want to know what happens next. Thankfully, I have also read the comics, many of which were written by Karen Traviss also, which filled in many gaps as wel ...more
Phillip Nguyen
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
While I was hoping that this book would take place after the third Gears game, I still liked it despite the fact that it still takes place on the island. It really brings into the play the political and psychological effects that the Locust and the Lambent have on people. While I was starting to get tired of the flashbacks that keep occurring in every Gears of War book, I enjoyed the flashbacks in this one. By showing how different people reacted, rather than just Hoffman, Marcus and Dom it help ...more
Luke La

Luke La Shelle
9/16/14
English
Gears of War Coalitions End Karen Traviss
Marcus Fenix, Dizzy, Sam, and Hoffman
the locust (a race of monsters) burst from the ground at are causing mayhem in Sera. Then fifteen years later the gears (an organization trying to the locust) move to a safe haven on the remote island called Vectes. Then they encounter a threat worse then the locust. the Lambent (or glowies as the gears call them). The Lambent have eh ability to constantly mutate which proves to be a proble
Zombie0721
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book Coalition
Charlene
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's no real secret that I'm in love with what Karen Traviss has done with the Gears of War universe, and Coalition's End did not disappoint. As always, she's done an amazing job portraying the world, and bringing across the characters, which are spot-on with their video-game counterparts.

I loved the flashback sequences in this one, as they painted a very true-feeling picture of war, the consequences of it, and the mindsets of dedicated soldiers, dedicated warriors, who have to try and adjust af
Jonathan Funk
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get into it. Quite possibly because I didn't read the prequel novels and haven't played the games.

Before you say "Of course!" consider that I have read and enjoyed almost all of the Halo novels (including those by Karen Traviss), largely out of order, and I've never played those games.

What I'm saying is that it is often possible to read books out of order or out of familiar context, and still be drawn in by the strength of the narrative and charact
Alyssa Allen
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The series gets better! Aspho Fields (#1) was 'meh' for me, but this book was awesome! As I said, it gets better and better. I think Traviss finally started getting comfortable with her own writing style (for the Gears series) in the last book, but the subject matter definitely wasn't anywhere as exciting as this book's.

I am typically not sentimental when it comes to books, and certainly not videogames, but this book almost made me cry! I was choking up, but I kept the tears away!

Anyway, it was
Ken
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Some neat back story to the characters from the game but not a stand alone book without playing the game or reading previous 3 books. Kinda funny how video games don't do better as movies for the most part because some plots/settings are compelling.

Positives: Continues COGS survival story from the Locust, backstory of characters before "E-day"
Negatives: Not really a negative I guess but book bounces between what's happening currently and the past---the 'current' story seems to drag quite a bit.
Karl Jones
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By far the finest book i have ever read. For people who have never read a Gears of War novel, it not all guts and gore, but their is some. The characters are real not just an image on a games screen. You feel what they feel. You get more understanding of how hard it is to live in a world that has been destroyed by the locust. What really did it for me is the books ends and Gears of War 3 starts. Awesome.
Samuel
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10th-grade
I think that this book is very interesting because this book was originally a video game series but its been turned into a book, and I have never seen something like this happen before. It tell from the pov of all the characters. The book is very fun to read because I can relate my video game to it. When I read this book I imagine myself actually being the character and it makes me exited to read.
Dannyv
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I think of the book is that I think that it is good book to read because I like Science Ficton books and books with action for every chapter. Gears of War Coalition's End is a great book if you like action in mostly every chapter which makes the book more exciting to read because you are waiting for something to happen. Another reason this book is good because it deals with the future events that i like about it which also makes it better.
David
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Don't know if I didn't like the book as much or getting used to her style of writing, but this was probably the least favorite of the series for me. I hope that "The Slab" isn't going to disappoint when I can finally read it. I did appreciate the links that it offered to bridge the gap between games so it wasn't a complete waste of time and it did lead right into the third game nicely.
Tiger
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this was definitely one of my favorites of the series so far. It had a lot of really good looks into the characters and showed a lot of development that started back in Aspho Fields. so it was really nice to see things come to fruition, annnnd pick up this story again with Gears of War 3. Which, incidentally, was also written by Karen Traviss!! on to The Slab!
Ginger
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ian
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Even o your not a fan of sci-fi genre but you love a good story. This book is for you although I would recommend getting the other gears of war books before getting this one, just to get the full background of the entire story.
This book still stands very well on its own. I highly, highly recommend reading this book to qany fan of fiction.
Vito
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...geeked out on a video game back story. Imagine that there are approximately ten thousand people left on the planet and the majority are military (after fighting an alien invasion). Interesting premise. I'm hooked.
Jared Hughey
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
As a hardcore Gear fan, this series was absolutely fantastic! It gave a great insight into the minds of my favorite characters; Marcus, Dom, Cole, etc. Not to mention the story between games is filled it also gives a back story on the characters.
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Gears of War: Volume Two
  • Borderlands: Unconquered
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Spectres (Starcraft: Ghost, #2)
  • The Art of Halo
  • Mass Effect: Incursion
  • Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
  • Dead Space
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Halo: Cryptum
  • Lord of Souls (The Elder Scrolls, #2)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Halo: Contact Harvest
#1 New York Times best-selling novelist, scriptwriter and comics author Karen Traviss has received critical acclaim for her award-nominated Wess'har series, and her work on Halo, Gears of War, Batman, G.I. Joe, and other major franchises has earned her a broad range of fans. She's best known for military science fiction, but GOING GREY and BLACK RUN, the first books in her new techno-thriller seri ...more
More about Karen Traviss

Gears of War (5 books)
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
  • Anvil Gate (Gears of War, #3)
  • The Slab (Gears of War, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)