Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1

(Fullmetal Alchemist #1)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  125,882 ratings  ·  1,742 reviews
Breaking the laws of nature is a serious crime!

In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Elric lost his arm and his leg, and his brother Alphonse became nothing but a soul in a suit of armor. Equipped with mechanical “auto-mail” limbs, Edward becomes a state alchemist, seeking the one thing that can restore his and his brother’s bodies...the legendary Philosopher’s Stone.
Published May 3rd 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 22nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Cressie Patterson Yes, Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga, which tells its story through drawn artwork and dialogue, but this one is relatively shorter than most popular sh…moreYes, Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga, which tells its story through drawn artwork and dialogue, but this one is relatively shorter than most popular shonen series. FMA finished up with 27 manga volumes. It was such a hugely popular series, it also spawned five novels as well, so you could read those if you didn't want to try your hand at manga. The first Fullmetal Alchemist novel is called "The Land of Sand". You can find them on Ebay.

It's kind of odd that you were prompted to read Fullmetal Alchemist if you like Harry Potter but don't have an interest in manga. Most likely because of the link that both series have to the Philosopher's Stone, but they don't really have that much else in common. Well, I'd say that Edward Elric, the main hero character in FMA is even more altruistic than Harry Potter, and both series have over-the-top villains that want to take over the world, but the FMA story is darker, in it's own way, than Harry Potter. Still, because of the common link between the two series, crossover fanfictions between Harry Potter & FMA are very popular on fanfic websites. Both series boast casts of incredibly colorful and likable characters, both have unforgettable storylines, and both series have spawned incredibly popular theme park attractions at Universal Studios Parks, HP currently, and FMA used to have one in Japan.

If you can't get into reading manga, you should try watching the FMA anime series. The first one, made in 2003, follows the author's story only halfway through the series, then the anime production crew made up their own ending to finish the series, seeing as the manga's creator was still in the middle of her story. The second series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, made in 2009, follows the original manga storyline more faithfully until the end, although it does rush through the early details of the series, since they were already known to the fans from watching the first series.(less)

·  125,882 ratings  ·  1,742 reviews

Start your review of Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Buddy read with Bhavik
It's my first time reading this series and I'm hyped!

Looking forward to this so much, friend!

I've decided to review each volume by chapter, as each chapter has an underlying theme that can't be ignored. Also, it's mostly me rambling and fangirling so I apologise in advance. Compared to most of my "articulate" reviews, these will be a jumbled mess.

"The Two Alchemists" (二人の錬金術師 Futari no Renkinjutsushi) - containing one of the most memorable anime scenes of my childhood

"If y
Lauren Lanz
One of my good friends (in reference to Fullmetal Alchemist) once told me: Literally every other manga, ever, should take notes.

WOW was he right. Edward and Alphonse stole my heart from the get-go; the overarching story left me eager for more. I’ll be damned if I can’t get my hands on the next volume soon!

“Nothing's perfect, the world's not perfect. But it's there for us, trying the best it can; that's what makes it so damn beautiful.”

~★~ What is this book about? ~★~

Young Edward and Alp
Kogiopsis
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love love love love love.

It's actually been quite some time since I first read this volume, and now that my public library has finally started buying the series (just in time for me to leave town - thanks, guys) I checked out the first seven on a whim.

I'd actually forgotten a lot about this volume. Somehow I got the idea that the Cornello/Liore plot was stretched over the entire volume, and that Youswell was in V. 2, and obviously that was wrong - and the train thing I'd forgotten entirely. It
Caroline
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
full series review now up on my channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9cDc...

YAY a new favourite! My boyfriend and I recently bought the full boxset of this manga (27 volumes hell to the yeah!) because it was EXTREMELY cheap* on bookdepository and we have no self control. I have been wanting to read this for so long and now I'm getting into it and honestly I am so hype.

The story is so much fun and I already love both Edward and Alphonse. I find Edward incredibly relatable... not because of
Jokoloyo
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this manga for hard magic system fantasy fans who don't read manga. Full Metal Alchemist (FMA) manga has many strong points as a fantasy story:
1. The setting/world building is rich. It has steampunk taste (showing a lot of highly advanced mechanical prosthetic limbs), First World War era, and magical alchemist system.

2. I am not an expert in Sanderson's First Law but after I read the article, I believe this manga can be considered as a Hard Magic system story. The magic syst
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Um.... Am I missing something??

This series has a super high average (4.49 as I write this) and several of my friends have really enjoyed it. But I was just very underwhelmed?

This is incredibly creative, both the magical aspect and the brothers being the way they are. The brothers were both fun characters and their loyalty to each other was enjoyable.

But I wish this world had been explained a little more before they just started embarking on all these different adventures. It sort of fe
Ilias
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All manga readers
Shelves: manga, favorites
I can't imagine someone not liking this. I just can't....
If you like manga, you will like this.
ALet
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2020
2020 The Reading Rush day 3: Read a book in a genre that you’ve always wanted to read more of.
Alexandra Elend Wolf
This was just as fun and clarifying as I expected it to be. I'm so happy.

Honestly, I just love this manga so much it's not even funny anymore. Seeing everything from the beginning is a treat and, well, source material is always richer in details than adaptations — doesn't matter how good an adaptation is — and I did have some questions in need of answering.

Al and Ed are just too precious.

RTC.
__________________

Oh, hello, is it me here reading my first manga ever? Yes. Yes, it is.

This is certa
Lily
3.5 stars *flips coin to decide whether to round up or down*

Of all the stages of grief, "bargaining" has always struck me as the most interesting and memorable: the appraisal of all we have and don't have, and the hypothetical transactions that we think would make things better. It's an activity whose allure is counterbalanced by its low probability of success. What would the world be like if bargaining actually had some chance of working? That's the world of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Aisyah ♡
It's been 10 years-ish since I first read it, still one of the best shonen manga ever. It is right up there with the classics such as Naruto, Bleach, Death Note etc.

Join Edward Elric and his brother, Alphonse Elric in the quest of finding the ultimate power of alchemy in a world that is filled with science, magic and automails.

This manga is intelligent and downright riveting, I've read it countless of times and it never fails to entertain and amaze me. It has a solid story line and excellent gr
Rusty Grey
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This manga has definitely one of the best anime adaptations as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood . But let's not take anything away from the original material . I loved this manga . Definitely recommend . ...more
Melanie
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read a manga in such a long time!!! I loved the Elric brothers!!! Can't wait to keep reading!!! ...more
Lizziegolightly
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Fullmetal Alchemist in its anime form is one of my favorite television shows. I watch it religiously, even now that I have seen every episode. I never read manga before and basically, I picked up this edition because of my devotion to the program.

This first installment of the manga is damn near close to (if not completely) identical to the first few episodes of the show. I won't give away the plot twists, just for those of you who haven't seen it yet. The essential storyline, though, is that
King Haddock
I have become a skeptical reader over the years. It's because I've read A LOT. I was the kid who could read over 12,000 pages in a single summer - and I know because I counted. So I learned about plots, characterization, and all the things authors can do to make reading a pleasant experience.

Unfortunately, after a while, you become so knowledgeable of the meta-world that you lose sight of the treasure within the tale. Frequently I pick up a fantasy or science-fiction novel off a shelf and think,
Nərmin
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Who loves great stories with great characters
Recommended to Nərmin by: Argona
First rewiev
Very good and entertaining opening... I liked Elric brothers and Edward is so cool with that intelligence and style. His shortness is cute though.)
The artwork is not that pretty but good enough to deliver the story. Going to read next volumes.)

Rewiev of all manga

One of the best manga in the world! Even if I haven't read all the manga, I can surely say it.
God! Who transmuted all these onions into tears? But don't worry, Edward. It is tears of joy!
This one month of my li
Bhavik (Semi Hiatus)
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: wishlist
The best goddamn masterpiece ever in written history.
Jedi JC Daquis
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not really blown away, but it is a great start for Fullmetal Alchemist! It is a great teaser for everything you will expect from the series. Hiromu Arakawa has perfectly set the pace and the amount of humor and action in the story. As early as now, I can see why this is one of the best rated manga series in history.

Volume 1 establishes the foundations of a terrific tale of the Alchemist brothers and I am very excited to be in this crazy, fun (and at times endearing) manga ride.
Artemy
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Really fun manga! It's somewhat similar to Dragon Ball with its playful and humorous tone and loveable characters, and it also has a more serious overarching plot and some very cool mythos and world building. Will definitely keep on reading. ...more
Oliver Smith
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
i think he's insecure about his height ...more
Hassan
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I appreciate the originality in Manga.
they're always original and different than any other story.
and this one was as good as any Manga i've read, i'm just hoping that we could discover more of the world and the magic system, cause it's a bit vague so far.
Ahmed Tharwat
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
First time to read a manga😅excited to read the rest of the volumes....
Rebecca
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
*metaphorically cracks knuckles*

- a good start, introduced to the main characters and got a basic background on them and the plot
- i think the overarching plot of the series has to do with the philosopher's stone, but it was only mentioned in chapter 1?
- i really like edward. he's a little shit so ofc i would like him most.
- chapter 1 is probably my fave of the four.
- the art style seemed a little messy, but in a good way.
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
This was alright. I don't feel compelled to continue, but reading the first volume was fun enough. I wonder if I would have liked this more if I had read it as a kid. ...more
Michael Sorbello
This is a review of the entire series.

Fullmetal Alchemist takes place in the fictional country of Amestris which is heavily based on the Industrial Revolution. Amestris is a unitary state under the rule of a parliamentary republic, run by state alchemists that serve the king utilizing the mystifying arts of alchemy. Alchemy is the power to alter the physical world utilizing its natural elements, performing magic and miracles in the form of science. Alchemy follows the law of equivalent exchange,
Gavin Abdollahi
description

Even if you've watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, you should still read the manga, since it has more adventures that were deleted in Brotherhood.

This was quite fun.
The story revolves aroun the Elric brothers, whom have performed the forbidden alchemical trnasmutation:
Human transmutation.
In an attempt to bring back their dead mother, Edward Elric loses his left leg, and his younger brother, Alphonse, loses his whole body. In a desperate attempt to bring back his brother, he sacrifices h
Zoe
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fullmetal Alchemist happens to be a one-of-a-kind in the manga genre. I mean, c'mon people: has ANYONE encountered such a brilliantly diverse series? Amongst a world of manga that is somewhat the same and unoriginal(enough with the vampire manga already, people!), Fullmetal Alchemist, or FMA as it is nicknamed by fans, stands out.
This series is so well-known that I really shouldn't have to summarize it, but I will just in case you are one of the five or six people on this planet who have no ide
Dark Sith Lordette Jennymort ♔
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anime Lovers
Shelves: ya, love, own, part-of-a-series
I first saw this series on Netflix. Let me just say I watched almost all of the episodes till Netflix assholes took out seasons two and three for NO REASON.

I love this series! Not my first anime I've fell in love with but I of course fell in love with the characters anyways, two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric.

Mal
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Honestly so glad to be reading this. Finally, right? Haha! I watched Brotherhood a while back and was totally in love (though, admittedly, I didn't like the first season much and had a hard time keeping at it, but once I took a break and then came back I was hella ready to plow through it). Crying though because I know things and I don't wanna go through that again D: *cry* ...more
Marnie Ava
A great piece of light-hearted manga that is quick and entertaining. I could definitely see myself getting into this, although I definitely wouldn’t rate the volume one more than three stars purely because it is just not as detailed and complex as other mangas I LOVE like death note. Altogether a fun series I’ll definitely be continuing throughout this year!
manga group~addic...: Fullmetal Alchemist 37 14 Oct 04, 2020 04:24PM
Willmar Public Li...: Fullmetal Alchemist 1 1 Jan 16, 2020 11:52AM
YouTube Anime/Man...: FullMetal Alchemist 1 2 Jun 11, 2019 02:28PM
YouTube Anime/Man...: FullMetal Alchemist Discussion 1 2 Jun 11, 2019 02:26PM
YouTube Anime/Man...: FullMetal Alchemist Discussion 1 1 Jun 02, 2019 06:42PM
Fullmetal Alchemist Book Tag 1 13 Mar 21, 2018 12:42PM
Visual Novels Boo...: Fullmetal Alchemist 1 Discussion 1 3 Aug 31, 2017 04:57AM

• Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • Bleach, Volume 01
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)
  • NARUTO -ナルト- 巻ノ四十三
  • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • One Piece, Volume 1: Romance Dawn
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
  • Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1: The Monkey King (Dragon Ball, #1)
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and d

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)