Start by marking “Hear, My Son: Teaching & Learning in Proverbs 1-9” as Want to Read:
Hear, My Son: Teaching & Learning in Proverbs 1-9

Hear, My Son: Teaching & Learning in Proverbs 1-9

(New Studies in Biblical Theology #4)

Even a cursory reading of the book of Proverbs reveals that it is dominated by the subject of education, or personal formation. The voice of the teacher addressing his pupils resounds from its pages. A wide array of topics is presented, and frequent exhortations challenge the learner to hear and heed the teacher's instruction. This material, however, comes for the most par ...more
Published October 14th 2000 by IVP Academic (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hear, My Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hear, My Son

Jimmy Reagan
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Daniel Estes, a fine scholar on the poetry of the Old Testament, contributes this volume in the celebrated New Studies in Biblical Theology (NSBT) series by IVP and edited by D. A. Carson. This monograph considers Proverbs 1-9 for what it tells us about teaching and learning.

He feels that the obvious pursuit in Proverbs is one of education or instruction. The teacher speaks to the student throughout. Though there appears to be a random order in our collection of Proverbs, he see seven pedagogica
Sagely
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I only managed to fit in the first few chapters of Estes' HMS. What I read, I appreciated. (Disclaimer: Dr Estes was one of my professors in undergrad, one who subtly but lastingly shaped my spirituality.)

Estes takes up a "worldview-ish" examination of pedagogical practice in Prov 1-9. While I've grown away from thinking worldviewishly, I still find value in the reflective attention to the text and the ways this text shapes us evident throughout HMS.

I hope to come back and read further in this v
Jeff G
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am grateful to have re-read this book by a longtime friend. In this monograph of Proverbs 1-9, Dr Estes shows us, among other things, the roles of the teacher and learner in the transmission of wisdom. Perhaps a suitable summary is this quote "In order to assimilate wisdom, the learner must organize all of life according to the fear of Yahweh." (p.148)
David Martin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it.
Bob
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Proverbs 1 to 9 is an extended address on the value of wisdom from a father or elder teacher to a son or student that introduces the wisdom sayings of the remainder of Proverbs. Daniel J. Estes has taken a novel approach to this literature and written a monograph exploring the philosophy and practice of teaching and learning reflected in this instruction given in these chapters. It is part of the New Studies in Biblical Theology series of monographs.

That may sound like dry, stodgy stuff but what
Daniel
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great book that synthesizes the material in Proverbs 1-9 concerning the pedagogy implicit within the text. Lots of excellent exegetical insights that the preacher and teacher will find helpful. Highly recommended.
Paul
Jul 06, 2012
Troy
May 17, 2009
InterVarsity Pres...: My review of Hear, My Son 1 10 Mar 16, 2014 02:19PM
Daniel J. Estes (Ph.D., University of Cambridge) is professor of Bible and dean of the school of biblical and theological studies at Cedarville University in Ohio. His books include Hear, My Son and Handbook on the Wisdom Books and Psalms.

New Studies in Biblical Theology (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Possessed by God: A New Testament Theology of Sanctification and Holiness
  • God's Unfaithful Wife: A Biblical Theology of Spiritual Adultery
  • Jesus and the Logic of History
  • Original Sin: Illuminating the Riddle
  • Now Choose Life: Theology and Ethics in Deuteronomy
  • Neither Poverty Nor Riches: Illuminating the Riddle
  • Slave of Christ: A New Testament Metaphor for Total Devotion to Christ (New Studies in Biblical Theology)
  • Christ, Our Righteousness: Paul's Theology of Justification
  • Five Festal Garments: Christian Reflections on the Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes and Esther
  • Salvation to the Ends of the Earth: A Biblical Theology of Mission (New Studies in Biblical Theology (InterVarsity Press), #11)