Start by marking “Voor de poorten van het duister (De saga van de Demonenoorlog, #2)” as Want to Read:
Voor de poorten van het duister (De saga van de Demonenoorlog, #2)

Voor de poorten van het duister

(The Demonwar Saga #2)

Als een machtige demon en een oude bekende, de kranzinnige Belasco, de handen ineen slaan, staan Puc en zijn getrouwen aan de vooravond van de bloedigste strijd die hun wereld ooit trof. Lange tijd is het onzeker of Puc en zijn medestanders - en met hen Midkemia - deze laatste slag zullen overleven...
Published July 2010 by Luitingh Fantasy (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Voor de poorten van het duister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voor de poorten van het duister

Start your review of Voor de poorten van het duister (De saga van de Demonenoorlog, #2)
Bradley
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-shelf
Well, I have to admit this book tickled so many of my fancies. I mean, big magic, bigger magic, OP characters, and enough demons to fill several realms AND we get to learn even more about them. :)

This is a FAR cry from some of the earlier novels that started small and stayed small. The storytelling might have a lot more nuance, but if you're missing the big blow-outs, just look here. An interesting if slightly providential new character introduced in the previous novel continues to shed some
jlf
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really hate the way all fantasy series need to be trilogies these days. When this happens, you end up with things like this book, a placeholder where nothing particularly interesting happens. This book, and others like it, are designed to kind of tread water until the author can pull together a decent end to a trilogy.

Anyway, that's kind of a meta-complaint. My specific complaints about this book in particular are 1) that it is boring, 2) that it is really short, 3) that things that seemed
Rob
Aug 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
...Although the books of Feist have never been at the high end of the scale when it comes to literary quality, his early work was first step into the fantasy genre for me. His novels gave me a taste of fantasy before tackling the heavy-hitters of speculative fiction. At the Gates of Darkness however, is nowhere near Feist's best. The story is more or less what we've come to expect from him but the execution is sloppy and feels rushed. From the Demonwar books I really get the impression Feist ...more
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
This was an ok read, apparently finishing a two book arc in Midkemia. It tied up the story fairly well, almost surprisingly in some sense. However, I also find Feist's writing to continue to degrade and I may have to just give up on him at some point.

One of the biggest issues is the book had extremely poor editing. There were at least two occasions on which I just shook my head at very basic errors in the text. One toward the end was particularly impressive: a group of about 9 people splits into
Luke Besse
Dec 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadful - I'll admit that I actually stopped reading this book a bit less than halfway through. If Magician had been this bad, Feist would never have been published. Magician still rates in my top one or two fantasy books of all time, and prior to this, I've read all of Feist's work. Barring some sort of spectacular return to form, however, I believe this book marks the last work by Feist that I'll read.
Robert Aldrich
The only reason I finished this book is because I have read all the others in the entire series. I will power through the rest of the books in the series, but I will never reread any of them past Talon of the Silver Hawk ever again...for some reason it was there that the whole setting took a turn for the worst.

Sorry.
Claire
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Raymond E Feist with your sprawling Riftwar saga, how do I love thee? Well, not hugely with this effort. When Ray started his epic I eagerly devoured Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon; the one-off novels and the serpentwar saga. I have read damn near everything set in this world and I love it but, I have to say that this book is underwhelming and far too reliant on people remembering characters from the previous books. With King's Buccaneer and Prince of the Blood, you still had ...more
Travis Cottreau
I love Raymond Feist. At the same time, I find his later books regularly peppered with continuity errors (was the the elf or the dwarf talking? Who was it getting punched that time?), and large sections of seat-of-the pants writing that belongs in a first draft. Pug and his crew are supposed to be really smart, but they fall backwards through obvious clues, and in the final battles, wander from place to place with no plan, depending on Pug's super-magic to save the day. This book was one of the ...more
Linda Isakson
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a Goodreads giveaway gift.

Review:
Great continuation of the Demonwar Saga. In this book, which I think takes place about one year after "Rides a Dread Legion", an agent of Pug's Conclave of the Shadows, Jim Dasher, stumbles upon the remnants of a horrific and bloody ritual used to summon demons. Reporting his finding back to the Conclave, Pug, Magnus, Amirantha, Sandreena, Gulamendis, Laromendis and others continue their search into the archives of the past to try and find out exactly
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
I wish I had the books in between this series and the initial 4 books Feist wrote about Midkemia and Pug, but sadly our public library only has bits and pieces of most authors' series. I did at least get to read the first book in this trilogy, and Feist does a pretty good job of filling in readers who have missed earlier books in the sequence.

In this trilogy Pug and his friends are faced with a whole branch of magic and magical creatures beyond Pug's knowledge and understanding, demons that
Georgiann Hennelly
To protect their world the Black Sorcerer Pug and Midkemia's clandestine protectors the Conclave of Shadows forged an uneasy alliance of formidable magical talent's.Together they defeated Maarg the brutal Demon King and turned back the on rushing death tide. But Maarg's fall has not stopped the demonic onslaught. The fearsome Demo Dahun and the mad Ne cromaneer Belasco have joined force,s creating an unstoppable union of deathly black magic,s that even Pug and a united conclave may not be strong ...more
Shawn Mills
This is probably the weakest of all of Feist’s rift war books. The good: as usual his characters are amazing. Well written, well rounded characters that you grow to love quickly. It’s not a bad story either. The expansion of the Sidi character into his three brothers and their back story is great. The bad: The Star Elves are the focus of the previous book in this two part series but they just fade away to nothing by the end of this. There’s no resolution to their story or even much attention ...more
Eric
May 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While I simply adore Raymond Feist's works, it appears he phoned this one in.

Sure, there was some good stuff. The new characters were mildly interesting and the big battle at the end, while a bit confusing, did hold my interest. But this book simply lacked the hallmark captivating story that I've come to expect from a great author like Feist.
Rick
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just see my review of part one. I just don't see why Feist himself keeps writing stuff about increasingly powerfull enemy's for pug while he's strong point was creating down to earth characters and throwing them into the madness.

Anyway, after 12 years or so since I first read a Feist and all those books I will finish it so 3 more books to go
Blake
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Raymond Feist reminds me why he's my favorite Fantasy genre author. By killing off main characters, and by having a plot, only his serious followers would understand after reading all of his novels with his beloved PUG as the main character. I would equate reading this book to seeing "Empire Strikes Back," plot twists, and secrets all revealed. Loved it!
Craig
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book just meandered slowly to a mundane conclusion. It feels like the the author isn't that interested in this world anymore.
Thomas Arvanitis
The conclusion to the demon-war series (of 2 books) holds the interest of the previous book and resolves the main conflict, leaving some plot threads dangling for future books. Good but not great.
Callum
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope that one day Feist will return to writing full novels as opposed to these episodic style page turners
Xanxa
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently I've already reviewed this book. A demon must have been controlling me when I did, because I have no memory of (a) having read it before or (b) having written a review of it before.

As I said of the first instalment of The Demonwar Saga, this demon invasion plot is getting a bit old now. How many more times will Midkemia be targeted by demons or other non-human invaders?

What kept me going was the fact that I love some of these characters - Pug, Miranda, Magnus, the twin elves
Xanxa
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Angela
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have been Buddy-Reading this series over the last couple of months with a ‘book-club’ friend who had not read Raymond E. Feist’s work before. As I have been a long-time fan of his work, I have compared it to The Lord of the Rings books but have actually enjoyed this series more. When I mentioned this to my friend, she immediately wanted to read the series, and convinced me to read them with her- not that it was a big ask .
It is an epic action-packed fantasy saga- with wonderful world building
Cherryonion
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Really gripping conclusion to this part of the story. I'm enjoying the new characters, although not so much Sandreena who is overly portrayed as an emotional, scorned lover. She's a badass as well, but the female characters are all a little disappointing in his books, I find. Only Mara was really amazing and he wrote that with a female author. Otherwise this was an excellent story. Pug and Magnus are still grieving and demons are once again on the menu. The series is definitely leading to an ...more
G M
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lance Schonberg
This would have been a star higher up until a chapter or so before the end when we took a big break from the colliding events for who we thought was the big bad (and who wasn't, exactly) to explain what was really going on for several pages.

Yup, the villain brought us all into the loop by monologuing.
Jesse
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but again a little unsatisfying in the end. I felt like this series, with these characters, introduced a lot of new faces, without a huge payoff for it. We'll see if they show up again in the next series. Overall, worth a read for fans of the Riftwar world, but not the best book in the series.
Matthew
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Raymond
Elena Chan
Anti climatic ending
Kevin Konrad
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took awhile to read this one just took it nice and slow, as for the book it was nicely detailed and written nice since I just picked this one up randomly and started reading it not realizing it being book 2. It was slow in some parts and could have been brought to action much quicker but I guess one does need to set the atmosphere and the setting. It was pretty easy to follow for anyone who wants to just jump into a random book
Nicely written, I enjoyed it
Jan
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A bit disjointed, and the story is a bit boring.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Degraded quality... 1 8 Dec 06, 2014 03:42PM

• Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
  • 1636: The Flight of the Nightingale (Ring of Fire Book 28)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • The Invisible Hero
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master: The Great One
  • Song of the Risen God
  • The Sword-Edged Blonde (Eddie LaCrosse, #1)
  • The Runelords (Runelords #1)
  • Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)
  • Open Borders: The Science and Ethics of Immigration
  • The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters, #1)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
  • Legacy of Light
  • Legacy of Ash (Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • The Friday Edition (Samantha Church, #1)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in ...more

The Demonwar Saga (2 books)
  • Rides a Dread Legion (The Demonwar Saga, #1)
“More men have been defeated by reports than all the steel of all the swords in history.” 2 likes
“More men have been defeated by reports than all the steel of all the swords in history.” Then” 1 likes