Start by marking “Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)” as Want to Read:
Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)

Wintertide

(The Riyria Revelations #5)

A FORCED WEDDING. A DOUBLE EXECUTION. TWO THIEVES HAVE OTHER PLANS.

The New Empire intends to celebrate its victory over the Nationalists with a day that will never be forgotten. On the high holiday of Wintertide, they plan to execute two traitors (Degan Gaunt and the Witch of Melengar) as well as force the Empress into a marriage of their own design. But they didn’t accoun
Published October 1st 2010 by Ridan Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wintertide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wintertide

Lee
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I haven't time to write a full review so I am going to keep this brief. If you haven't started this series yet, you NEED TO.

For five books now we have followed the journey of Hadrian and Royce. I must say, for the amount of books involved, Sullivan has kept this story very tight. With my love for big epics from authors like Erikson, Hamilton and Reynolds, whose side stories become novels in themselves, it is really great to read a story with a central story with almost no side stories. Everythin
Armina

Best book in the series so far! It had it all. Easy 5 stars! I finished it a while ago but RL(being very hectic) prevented me from posting accurate updates since I'm mostly listening to the audiobook and using the omnibus edition. I'll try to write a proper review at some point.
ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Initially, I thought I would rate these books by their two part bind ups, but I've changed my mind. This book needs to receive the individual attention and 5 star rating it deserves, no matter what part 6 may bring.
This series has had its ups and downs, overall I love the characters and the world, but sometimes the story itself drags. This book is flawless. I can't think of a single thing in this story I would change. It made me smile and laugh, but it also broke my heart.
I look forward to conti
Komal
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
You ripped out my heart Mr. Sullivan. You ripped it out from within my rib cage in a matter of pages. You just shoved your fist into my chest, got a hold and just... ripped it out. Just like that. And then you took out your dagger and started cutting it, strand by strand, in front of my face as I watched, helpless. Then you smiled and threw it away.

These tears.

Dear God.

--10 minutes later--

I have never seen an author grow with their book the way Michael J. Sullivan has. This book was brilliant
C.P. Cabaniss
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

"Happiness comes from moving toward something. When you run away, ofttimes you bring your misery with you."

I had a feeling going into this one that it would break my heart and I was right. Something had to go wrong eventually. Well, I mean, stuff had already gone wrong, but something else was going to go wrong. And it did. There was plenty to break my heart here. There was also plenty to love.

It's no secret that Royce is my favorite character and this installment did nothing to lessen him for
Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I finished this a few days ago but hadn't taken time to review it. I must say that I have enjoyed this series and can recommend it. This series and these characters are so well done I'm very glad I found it. I'd had it recommended to me some time ago but never got around to reading it. If the same is true with you try it...really.

This is the 5th out of 6 volumes and it's another good story. The plot takes a darker turn (as it's been headed that way from the first). We get to know these guys and
TS Chan
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given how the series was progressing over the past 4 books, I wasn’t surprised to find myself gushing at the end of Wintertide and giving it a stonking 5-stars! The story really started to soar by now with Hadrian and Royce finally arriving into Aquesta where Empress Modina “reigns” and Arista was imprisoned. The tension and pacing of this book had me almost on the edge throughout.

Those who have followed my status updates will know that I have a crush on Hadrian and this book gave me more of hi
Bogdan
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
In all of the series I seem to have problems with the construction of some of the characters and their ulterior evolution, but, maybe, it`s only a personal thing. In one moment some of them are the most despicable and feared across the land, in the next one, they`re dead- easyyy as a piece of cake......

I don`t know, sometimes their initial image doesn`t add up with their ulterior evolution.

And the bad guys, are making a lot of crimes, but still their main motivation is that those action are for
David Sven
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
These books just keep getting better. The writing is better, the characters have developed some depth and complexity, and even though things have gotten a little darker, it’s still not dark fantasy – and that’s a good thing for this series I think.

And it’s ditto what I have already said about the previous books regarding Tim Gerard Reynolds audio narration ie very good.

Royce and Hadrian are back and go right into the heart of the Empire, determined to save the Heir of Novron and Princess Arista.
Kathleen
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The atmosphere becomes darker here, with some horrendous scenes right out of my worst nightmare. That mustache-twirling church went overboard at times. And what's with that holy idiot squirreling away his enemies in prison? It would make more sense to just execute most of them. Plot contrivance.

Nonetheless, an engrossing read, with old characters and some new ones.

Royce and Hadrian can't truly trust anyone except each other. We've seen that play out in several books now. That treacherous littl
Jim
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
May2012: Read it again in preparation for the final book of the series & really enjoyed it, even though I knew what was coming. Great!

Sep2010: Again, I had the privilege of reading an ARC & enjoyed the experience tremendously. Sullivan took me for another great ride. I'd highly suggest reading the previous four books first. While he's again done a great job of filling in the background, there are a lot of details & emotional investment that you'll miss out on.

The next book is suppose
Chris
Best book in the series so far. That ending!
Syd the Kid
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Absolutely fantastic! This is the 5th book in a series so I don't want to spoil anyone :)

(view spoiler)
Elwen
That’s the only series I always want to re-read after finishing a part of it. It’s amazing! I so love the writing style, care about the characters (even small side ones) and how much the world develops throughout the series. Plus, the story was thrilling and interesting again. And that ending... OMG! Need the next one immediately!
M Hamed
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
I know what it means to be alone, I sure do wish I was at home.
I don't care what the neighbors say, I'm gonna love you each and every day.
You can feel the beat within my heart.
Realize, sweet babe, we ain't ever gonna part.
Michael of Solace
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a curious ending. Intriguing certainly but very, very curious. What now?
Zoe Artemis Fido Targaryen
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
FREAKING TERRIFIC!! This is definitely the best of the series so far. The stories told in such a way that it kept me on edge all damn time and the scene of Royce and Gwen in the ending......., pretty sure I died there. WOW Michael, WOW.
Wendy
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the things that make the Riyria Revelations different is that they were conceived as a single tale, told in six installments. Each book could stand alone, but they are oh-so-much better when the reader builds on the story that came before. Another outstanding quality is that these books are completely appropriate for any audience because there is no swearing or sex! How tedious it is to pick up a promising book only to find it’s just a chain of smut and profanity glued together with a pit ...more
Scott
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Oh Mr. Sullivan how I hate you but love your writing. I just finished Wintertide and I feel like you have just ripped out my heart. Yet I love the fact that your writing can have such a powerful effect on me, that you can write such amazing characters that make me feel so deeply.

But

Why don't you ask me how I want things to go?
I loved this book from beginning to end and actually found myself putting it down frequently because I didn't want it to end. I loved this book top to bottom, back and fort
Darren
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The imagery in this book was fantastic. I don't know how else to say it. I'm a big fan of worldbuilding when it comes to fantasy, and Michael did an excellent job 'taking' the reader to Wintertide and feeling, smelling and hearing what goes on during the festival. And like the previous four books, it comes chalk full of sneaky plots, clever dialogue and an interesting twist to the Hadrian/Royce partnership that I enjoyed through to the last turn of the page.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I
Krzysztof
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013onward
Again it was quite predictable. I think that Michael's style of writing gives away what's going to come... at least for me. but this took me back to a time long ago when I was reading the Harry Potter series. The reason it took me back was because I don't think I've cared so much for characters in a story since then. I don't know what it is. The characters usually are based off of a trope, but this for some reason does not get in the way of them being so real and so close to the reader. I'm exci ...more
Lazybee
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What!
It's over?
It's short.
Everything is great but short. I want more.

"White's pawn takes queen and bishop."

Epic. And I kinda figured about what the prophecy was going to be. But killing loved ones are wrong. Writers please don't build intense romances and kill off the characters. It hurts. Don't do it.

Awesome story.
Shahdng
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I literally read this in one setting!!!!!
“Royce, listen to me. You have to hang on. Don’t let go. Don’t you dare let go. Do you hear me? Are you listening to me, Royce Melborn? You have to hang on, Royce. Please… give me your hand. Give me your hand!”
I almost died when hadrian said this i had to actually get up because I couldn’t handle it
Miriam Michalak
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
My second reading of this, via audiobook this time .....that ending Mr Sullivan, that ending. Was listening whilst at the gym and yes, a tear came to my eye. Oh Royce ....
Lesa Divine
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, i-own, read-it
Another enjoyable read. Love how all the women characters just grew to be better, wiser even when all hell was breaking them down this book showed a lot of growth with Arista, Modina, Amilia and a few other women characters. I enjoyed that Michael J Sullivan added more to the women characters in this story so they don't always look weak or submissive. Nicely done. Plus of course I love Royce and Hadrian the most. To see how far they're willing to go for one another and for people they care about ...more
Dan
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Can't...breath...must...keep...reading...

Book 6 is a glorious 600+ pages.

If you can't tell, this is really great.

Series review to come.

Happy Reading.

Series Review:

Question:

What is the bibliophile's dilemma?

Answer:

The books you can't help but read as fast as possible are the same books you wish would never end.

Solutions? I'd love to hear them.

Until then, I hope to find more books that hurt as good as The Riyria Revelations.
Jason
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
4 stars

This is a fine fantasy novel that moves the larger story of the Riyria Revelations forward and continues right where Emerald Storm left off.

This book is mostly Hadrian's show and that is ok by me. His character continues to make huge decisions based on his moral judgement. I really like that about him, that he has never wavered from his own morals and virtues. There are several new characters that are colorful and add to the tone of this book. Arista, Amelia, Royce, and Saldur all play ro
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In truth, this is a rather hard review for me to write because I enjoy this series so much. I feel like there isn’t much I can say besides, “I love it! I love it! I love it!” – but that’s not much of a review. In previous books, Sullivan has been hitting homeruns, but with Wintertide, he hit the ball out of the park. If you haven’t read this series yet, you need to. Each book is filled with adventure, fun characters and interesting situations, but the new depth added to Wintertide makes it irres ...more
Suzie
Binge reading certainly did not do justice to this series. Either that or this book is the best of the series. Either way, this book is a winner. There is still a lot of politics to wrap your head around and a lot less of Royce and Hadrian comical banter as they spend the majority of time separated, but it's full of action without losing the humour.

Also a shout out to the Narrator who deftly adds individual nuances to each of the characters which makes for a much easier and enjoyable experience
Frank
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
No spoilers.
I wish I didn't let these books sit that long on my TBR.
This is the fifth of a six book series, and I have to say that it keeps getting better and better with each book, as a bit more is uncovered of the world and of the characters. Interesting storyline and twist at the end, and a plot that moves along.
It is always a pleasure to read a series that is already complete, unlike so many that drag on for years.
Now off to book six.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Wintertide 24 30 Aug 02, 2016 06:38AM
Modina and the Church (spoiler) 5 31 Feb 19, 2012 10:09PM

• The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Hope's End (Powder Mage, #0.4)
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
  • The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • The Hammer
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • Kings of Morning (The Macht, #3)
  • Secrets of the Sands (Children of the Desert, #1)
  • The Sacred Band (Acacia, #3)
  • The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • Dragonfly Falling (Shadows of the Apt, #2)
  • The Coming of Wisdom (The Seventh Sword, #2)
The Age of Legend (one of Goodreads Hottest Releases of Summer) Giveaway is live! ENTER NOW for a signed and/or dedicated copy.

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Washington Post bestselling author with 7 Goodreads Choice Award Nominations.

I first opened the door to my imagination with typewriter keys while pla

The Riyria Revelations (6 books)
  • The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6)
“He’s in the drawing room, listening to us right now. Sitting in the blue chair with its back to the wall, he’s waiting for me to join him. I’m sure he has a crystal glass half filled with the Montemorcey wine I bought and left in the pantry for him. He’s holding it in his left hand so if, for whatever reason, he has to draw his dagger, he won’t need to put the glass down first. He hates to waste Montemorcey. He’s swirling it, letting it breathe, and while he’s been here for some time, he has yet to taste it. He won’t drink until I sit across from him—until I too have a glass.”
“He suspects you poisoned it?”
“No, he hasn’t tasted the wine because… well, it would just be rude. He’ll have a glass of cider waiting for me, as he knows I no longer drink spirits.”
“And how do you know all this?”
“Because I know him just as I know you. Right now you’re fighting an urge to enter the drawing room to see if I’m right. Don’t. You’ll never come out again, and I don’t want you staining my new carpet. Now leave."
~Merrick”