Start by marking “The Fall of Damnos” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Damnos

The Fall of Damnos (Space Marine Battles #5)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  451 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
When Damnos is hit by cataclysmic earthquakes, an ancient force is awakened. Deep beneath the earth, the necrons rise from their slumber to decimate the human populace. All appears lost until salvation comes from the heavens.
Published April 14th 2011 by The Black Library (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Damnos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of Damnos

Darrel Altmann
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I was initially very disappointed with this book and I have to admit I nearly quit reading it at 1/3 the way through. I am glad I stuck with as the rest of the book was great.
Seeing the internal politics of the Necrons was really nice to reed.
Patrick Hayes
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read simply because the villains of this book are the Necrons, and to find books featuring them are few and far between. These machine antagonists seek to reclaim a world they've been buried under for centuries, and it was only be sheer luck that a call escaped the world asking for help from the Space Marines.

I enjoyed reading from the perspective of the Necrons, though I failed to get a clear idea of why some of the higher level ones were involoved in power struggles. In fact, the
Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I would have rated this with 4 stars, but the ending really left it flat, and that has been the case with 3 of the 4 Space Marine Battles books I have read. Open ended or cliff hanger endings in stand alone novels do not sit well with me.
Callum Shephard
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Set on the doomed world of Damnos, the story follows the conflict between the Ultramarines’ Second Company and the necron horde which dwelt beneath the planet’s surface. Having been awoken long before their arrival, the astartes led by Sicarius find the world’s military broken and the remaining populace in full retreat. Determined to turn the tide, the Ultramarines mount an assault, but internal politics cause many to question the captain’s orders. After so much has been lost, how can any hope ...more
El-jorro
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it

Bookworm Speaks!

Warhammer 40K

The Fall of Damnos by Nick Kyme Review

The Story: On the frigid, mining world of Damnos, mankind dug too greedily and too deep and an unimaginably ancient foe has been awakened, the Necrons. The undead warriors of living metal swiftly and mercilessly subdue the planet until a single city remains. Captain Sicarius and the Second Company of the Ultramarines are dispatched to Damnos to defend the last city and vanquish the Necrons.

The Good: Lately, there has been some
Procrastinador Diletante
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tenho que confessar que demorei quase 2 meses a ler este livro (lendo muitos outros pelo meio) e isso aconteceu, não por falta de qualidade do mesmo mas sim pelo facto desta obra não ser de leitura fácil.

Digo que não é de leitura fácil por duas razões: primeiro, remete muito para um livro anterior ("Assault on Black Reach") onde são apresentadas muitas das personagens deste (todos eles Ultramarines) assim como os conflitos e rivalidades que existem entre eles. Em segundo lugar, há algumas parte
Mick
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
The fourth entry in the excellent Space Marine Battles series, The Fall of Damnos features the 2nd company of the Ultramarines chapter led by Captain Sicarius and Chief Librarian Tigurius fighting the alien Necrontyr across the surface of the planet Damnos. Like previous entries, and much of the Black Library's output, it's an enjoyable, action-packed, and not particularly challenging read. Nick Kyme broadly follows the template of the series, featuring a Space Marine force taking on incredible ...more
Michael Alexander Henke
With a lot of novels you can feel pretty confident that the good guys will come out on top. That's not the case when it comes to the Warhammer Universe. Even when the good guys win, it's usually a pyrrhic victory at best. From the title alone you can tell that win or lose, the planet Damnos is doomed.
Like the other books in this series, this is one is a little short on plot and really long on action. While there is some interesting character development with the individual Space Marines the plot
Michael T Bradley
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: w40k
This was really good, and great fun to read. I'll admit, I started to get some of the characters mixed up toward the end, but most of them stood apart & I enjoyed watching Praexos's arc. Agrippen is my favorite character. He's like the gruff uncle who crushes babies. Ultramarines seem so uninteresting, but both Kyme & MacNeill write them in such a way that I find them pretty fascinating. And the Necrons here are intriguing, as well, kind of insane butchers. My main issue with the book is ...more
Daniel
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The most Honorable and Courageous Ultramarines of Macragge in eternal combat with the foul Necrons. Does it get any better this? I think not, gentle readers!
Seriously, this is a grand romp with the Space Marine Chapter born and bred to fight the vile xenos scum. Well written characters and awesome combat scenes, laid out in a manner which dazzles the mind and makes you hang on the edge of your seat. One of the greatest things done here is the author making a connection between the regular fight
Tom
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Necrons = good, but new necron codex, entirely disregarding the C'tan, instead devolving the necrons into petty lords and fiefdoms, this book was bland. Ultramarines fight, die, don't get completely annihilated, the necrons are more interesting in a way, as they have personalities, but they lack the old menace of the genocidal machine automatons guided by malevolent beings akin in power to greater demons, if not to the chaos gods themselves.
Ben Weemes
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the better Space Marine books. It had depth and character development. You actually felt emotions from the Space Marines on multiple occasions. Different than Helsreach and Purging of Kadillus because there was less tactical battle strategy and more character interaction. Also a lot of the interaction happened inside characters heads which was very different from the other SM books. Very good though, great ending and great twists.
Sven Mysterioso
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't recognize the Cato Sciarius in this book, as I 'met' him in the Ultramarine omnibuses (omnibuxii?) and he was not the same man. At all.

This story was good and told well though. Nice little snippet of history (well, ret-con) where the Imperium first meets the plague that is the Necrontyr.
Jamie Bruce
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, warhammer
If I wrote this review directly I read the book, it'd be two stars not four. This was released before the Necron background was overhauled, and at the time it didn't really fit into the universe at all. Now, however, it's strongly interwoven into the greater 40k universe and probably more enjoyable for fans of the universe as a whole.
Shawn
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book in a nut-shell was better than i expected. the story starts off Slow, and i was under the impression that it would be another run of the Mill "bolter's barking, while everything explodes in a shower of meat and gore" or in this case "sparks and wires" but boy was i wrong.. in depth character story like. if you're interested in a good read check this one out.
Matthew Shutts
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites of the series. It's my fifth battles novel to read and it is by far the most action packed. Filled with epic quotes, deaths, and the most chaotic massive green laser filled battles!!!
Selim Tlili
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Necrons are a cool but vastly overpowered concept for the war-hammer galaxy. The writing was so-so.
Brandon Becker
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good :D
Toby
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k
good plot ,love the internal politics of the ultramarines and the necrons ,finally there is an enemy that even the ultramarines struggle to fight
David
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I loved this book as I thought Sicarus was a hard nut and it was also to have it signed too.
Drayke Larson
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Do you like Space Marines? Yes? Get this book, then. Quit wasting time!
Ben Arispe
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
pretty good read. a little too much human characters
Rob
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Reasonably interesting bit of brain candy. Most likely only of interest to those who know about the Warhammer 40k universe. Realistically there is better science fiction available, though.
Christopher
  • Architect of Fate
  • Legion of the Damned
  • The Siege of Castellax
  • Storm of Iron
  • Death of Integrity (Space Marine Battles, #13)
  • Dark Disciple
  • Brothers of the Snake
  • Blood Gorgons
  • The Death of Antagonis

Space Marine Battles (1 - 10 of 81 books)
  • Rynn's World