Start by marking “Captured by the Highlander (Highlander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Captured by the Highlander (Highlander, #1)

Captured by the Highlander

(Highlander #1)

From bestselling author Julianne MacLean comes the fiery saga of three Highland warriors sworn to protect their homeland—and fight for the women they love...

The Enemy in Her Bed

Lady Amelia Sutherland would rather die than surrender to a man like Duncan MacLean. He is the fiercest warrior of his clan—her people's sworn enemy—and tonight he is standing over her bed. Eyes
Mass Market Paperback, 308 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Captured by the Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captured by the Highlander

Start your review of Captured by the Highlander (Highlander, #1)
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Dee
Shelves: highlander-books
This is probably my only highly-rated rant, but the one thing that bothered me, keeping this from being a 5 star book, was a big deal to me.

Last night around midnight, I read a friend's review of this book. I had it on my nightstand, so I picked it up to see what was so fabulous about it.

I read til about 1 am (I think I made it about 115 pages) before I was forced to pry the book out of my own hands and set it aside for the night.

The book was fantastic, all except for one thing.

The dichotomy
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I read Captured by the Highlander when it was a new release and had made some notes at the time, and marked it as a 4 star read, but then never got around to writing the actual review, so I’m doing that now.

No fault of the author’s, but this wasn’t the story I was expecting it to be because I had assumed it would be a continuation of Ms. MacLean’s The Rebel, but it didn’t seem connected at all. That said, I definitely enjoyed this book while reading it, but now, months later, I’m not able to
Jen
So, I had decided that since I had finished my book challenge, I was going to do a re-read of a series that I have loved in the past. I am so glad that I chose this one, and I have discovered that sometimes I need to go back to the basics in my romance reads. This book has reminded me why I fell in love with the romance genre to begin with! Main reason #1; Scottish Highlanders!!! Need I say more?! LOL
I love everything about them! They are passionate, loyal, and fierce lovers! Hell, I need to go
DaisyGirl
Feb 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was the first novel I read by Julianne MacLean and, sadly, it will probably be my last. The first half of the story was engaging and I like the author's writing style. Unfortunately, the story unraveled around page 160 with a stunning revelation about the hero that was too incredible to be believed. Thereafter, it was nothing but a slow and painful grind that was a struggle to finish.

***CAUTION: SPOILERS*** Let me start by saying that right off the bat, I fell in love with Duncan, the
Katrina Passick Lumsden
This is one of those books that I sort of hate to like. The Butcher is awesome. Reading about him was fun. Amelia, on the other hand...

I understand an author's desire to have a character go from a naive, sheltered idiot to a less gullible, stronger heroine, but reading Amelia's prejudices against Highlanders and her unwavering praise of British soldiers made me mutter, "Really, bitch?" This would have been much more enjoyable for me if Amelia hadn't been quite such a simpleton.
Nanci **Warning**IWasASailor⚓️MyMouthisDirty
Ugh another disappointed bust. :( why are the heroines all of a sudden beyond naive, spoiled and annoying?
I'm going think on this before I continue.
Vallsykes
Meh...this one did not keep me on my highlander/historical romance happy cloud
I don’t want to marry a warrior. I want to marry a gentleman.
In that one line, the heroine completely lost me. Though, she somewhat redeems herself at the end(thank goodness), her idealism and judgment led her to think and act naively & it got on my damn nerves at times.

The hero, Duncan: I could not reconcile his sudden love of and need for acceptance from the heroine with his renowned warrior persona, yet his
Andie_sd
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
when i first read the plot of this book i was like "Woo! it's great... i am about to love it" but right know, after i've finished it, i am about "Okay i was good, but it could've been better"

As i start reading the book i loved Duncan's character. He was as i was imagine a warrior would be, but then as the story went ahead my opinion about him fell apart.
okay i see love makes weaker but seriously!? You can't change everything that you are all in the name of love and especially for someone who
Romance_reader
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Average highland romance. didn't care for the heroine. H was ok. 2.5 stars.
Jenn
Duncan "The Butcher" MacLean is the fiercest warrior in all of Scotland. He's known for his savage ways and being a brute. "The Butcher" is a very well known name through out the country. Many fear him as others try to write his legendary tales off as make believe. No one knows his true identity, except a select few. He wants to avenge his beloveds life and he wants revenge on his sworn enemy. What sweeter way to accomplish that then by stealing his sworn enemies betrothed right out of her bed?

Laurie Garrison
This is my first time trying a book by Julianne MacLean; I loved the writing style, the storyline and the flow of Captured by the Highlander. I started reading this early one morning and couldn’t quit until I had I read it all. The surprises added to the story were marvelous and the action was tense at times. I was very impressed with the author and I will be reading more of her books in the near future.

I liked reading both the hero and heroine. Amelia is brave and Duncan is somewhat of a
Aisha

:D :D
♡Karlyn P♡
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Got 20% done. DNF for now, the modern language dialogue is driving me batty. Not what I am in the for right now. I may try again later as so many did enjoy it.
KatieV
This is the first thing I've read by Julianne MacLean and possibly the last.

The flow and writing were good, it was just the heroine. I generally try not to be too hard on the heroine and use the 'tstl' tag judiciously. In this case I almost created new tags for 'self-righteous-b' and 'she-needed-to-grovel'.

Lady Amelia is a self-righteous prig engaged to Lt. Bennett of the fabulous English Army. He'd once saved her father in battle and therefore gained favor with her father and herself. She's
Hbeebti
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really really like this one. This is about a highlander named Duncan aka The Butcher and an English women named Amelia.

Simply The Butcher storms a castle for revenge of someone he loved that was violently murdered by a soldier. He enters the bedchamber to slay the foe only he's not there , but his betrothed is. Needless to say he kidnaps her to get his revenge. There is a lot of sexual tension and a lot of anger on both their parts. Her for being kidnapped and him because of who she is and
Kari Kaz
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the actual writing but the heroine's attitude of "let's make peace not war" bothered me sometimes. Considering the time period, it was unrealistic to ask the hero to drop his weapons. Also, the way she berated him for wanting to kill the villain - who was a rapist and murderer - was absurd. And the fact that he actually listened to her, ugh. Her ideas were good, just didn't make sense considering the circumstances. I do want to read the other books in the series.
Sha Mslvoe
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sha Mslvoe by: Eloisa James
The 1st novel from Julianne and I'm satisfied. I think Eloisa James has recommended this book in her FB. I was surprised I can read it within 1 day. The story was wonderful and brilliant! Definitely a KEEPER.
Barbara ★
This book is set during the Jacobite Rebellion in 1716 where the Scots fought against the English occupation of Scotland. The Engligh burned crofts for no reason and raped women and children and pillaged at will. Of course the Scots retaliated with eye-for-an-eye brutality. The Butcher of the Highlands was no different. He secretly attacked the English and murdered every soldier he faced. When English officer, Richard Bennett rapes and murders his fiance, Duncan vows revenge.

I found the
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2011
Julianne MacLean’s superb writing style magically brings the wilds of the Scottish Highlands to life in Captured by the Highlander.

I really enjoyed the story of Duncan and Amelia, they are both fantastic characters that I found myself deeply invested in right away. They were the perfect fit for each other.
Amelia started out innocent and naive, believing someone on their words alone but Duncan opened her eyes to the way of the world, not in a harsh way, though being abducted was a big eye opener
Riverina Romantics
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Highlander fans
4.5 Stars
3 Hotness

Every so often (...well more often than not lately) I get in a tired, grumpy mood and crave a certain type of romance. When I picked up Captured by the Highlander I needed a sexy, alpha highlander to pull me out of my funk, quite a mean feat, so I wasn't holding my breath.

But ...*sigh*....this book was everything I needed and more. I was ensnared from the very first chapter and didn't want to put it down. Even with a sick child and a major case of sleep deprivation I stayed up
Whitney
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it

It had some odd moments but I liked the twist.
Steph
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
Massive thanks to a friend who recommended this book to me because I absolutely loved it. I hate when a book takes the first One-Hundred pages to get started so I was really happy when the action started from the first page.
The Butcher (Duncan) manages to break into an English fort to kill the man (Bennet) that raped and beheaded his fiance. But just as he is about to strike with his axe he shocked to doscover a woman laying in the bed. He quickly decides that stealing Bennets woman would be a
Captured by the Highlander is my first highlander book and I must say I really like the thought of a hot warrior in a kilt. And Duncan aka “The Butcher” is extremely hot; with his long black hair, rippling muscles and strong, experienced hands. Mmmm.... Duncan can pillage me anytime.

He takes what he wants and will not be stopped. But like most great alphas his tender side comes out when he finds that special lass. Which he finds, while breaking into Fort William. But he doesn’t have lusty
Erica
A very nice Highlander warrior + Englishwoman romance (lots of those abound) set in the early 1700s when Jacobite sympathies were common. Very interesting plotline with the avenging of Duncan's fiancee and Angus' sister although there was not as much romance as I would have hoped for. There didn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between Duncan and Amelia at all, not a lot of conversation, and then bam, she is all of a sudden "hopelessly in love". I just didn't really feel it between them. The ...more
Susanne
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set against the Jacobite Rebellion, MacLean pits Duncan, aka the Butcher, against an Englishwoman, Lady Amelia Templeton who refuses to yield even when abducted by him. Scottish history is revealed in its fierce heroism against the British invader, and inevitably we side with the rebels as Duncan seeks to satisfy his need for vengeance while attempting to temper his violent tendencies as Amelia gets further under his skin.

This was a very satisfying read (I finished it in a day, in spite of
Jess
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I've been trying to find another highlander series that I could fall in love with and I found this book on a few friend's shelves. While I did enjoy it, there was just something missing from it and I'm not totally sure what it was. It could be that this took place in a later time period than the books I'm used to and maybe that threw me off a little bit. I did like Duncan and Amelia together, their romance was great. But the plot felt kind of slow to me. I remember when I reached the halfway ...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Duncan enters a bedroom intending on killing his English enemy. A man who is killing & raping women and children. He also killed & chopped up Duncan's betrothed & sent it to him. Upon entering, he finds only Amelia, the man's betrothed. He plans to capture her & hold her & later kill her sending her head back. Revenge.

Early on he changes his mind because he's hot after her! I hate books where 1/2 the story is about the travel & this was one. BUT, I liked Duncan during the
Carolyn
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maclean-julianne
I REALLY liked this book! Great storyline with an interesting twist, complex characters which are brilliantly written, lots of sizzle and one hot Highlander. Be still my Highlander loving heart! I enjoy reading about Scotland's history as a background and Ms. MacLean weaves that history beautifully here. If you love Highlanders, you will thoroughly enjoy this captivating story. I, for one, cannot wait for the next one in this series! This is my second book by Julianne MacLean and she has already ...more
Victoria
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.75-4.0 RATING-I liked this one. I actually think I may have read it years and years ago but can't be sure. I appreciated that the story started right from the very beginning with the hero kidnapping the heroine and there wasn't a lot to sort through to get into everything.

Note: At the time this review was posted, this book was available to borrow through SCRIBD.

To see other books available to borrow through Kindle Unlimited or SCRIBD, check out the Subscription Addiction group

Kim
Highlanders, kilts, and long hair with braids, ohhhhhh my! Liked this one very much! Would have been 5 stars but there were one or two things I didn't care for. One was a modern cliche in there somewhere and two I felt that it got a little boring about halfway. Other than that I thought the author did a really good job with descriptions not just with surroundings but with gestures also. Will definitely being reading more by this author.
hot romance 1 17 May 17, 2014 10:30AM

• Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3)
  • The Guardian (The Return of the Highlanders, #1)
  • Ravished by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #1)
  • Highlander Untamed (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • Highlander Most Wanted (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #2)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sinner (The Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)
  • The Warrior (The Return of the Highlanders, #3)
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
  • Tamed by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #3)
  • The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • The Chieftain (The Return of the Highlanders, #4)
  • The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays, #1)
Julianne MacLean is a USA Today bestselling author of more than thirty novels, including the contemporary women’s fiction Color of Heaven series. MacLean is a four-time Romance Writers of America RITA finalist and has won the Booksellers’ Best Award, the Book Buyers Best Award, and a Reviewers’ Choice Award from the Romantic Times for Best Regency Historical Romance of 2005.

MacLean has a degree in

Highlander (5 books)
  • Claimed by the Highlander (Highlander, #2)
  • Seduced by the Highlander (Highlander, #3)
  • Return of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • Taken by the Highlander (Highlander, #5)
“How long was I asleep?"
"Over an hour," the Butcher replied.
"An hour? Surely not."
"Aye. You were moaning my name and saying, 'Oh, yes, Duncan, yes, yes. Again, again...”
16 likes
“You've been quiet, lass. Are you alive back there?'
All she could do was grunt with exasperation through the tight gag that was pressing down on her tongue.
'Aye, I know.' He nodded, as if he had understood every word. 'I was thinking about removing it, but something tells me you've been working up a mountain of complaints, so if it's all the same to you, I'll wait till we're somewhere more remote before I release that mouth of yours, so no one will hear your screeching.'
'I won't screech,' she tried to say, but it came out as a muffled grumble.
'What was that? You think I'm very wise? Aye, I think so, too.”
1 likes