Start by marking “Med School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Medical School Experience: By Students, for Students” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  383 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Med School Confidential uses the same chronological format and mentor-based system that have made Law School Confidential and Business School Confidential such treasured and popular guides. It takes the reader step-by-step through the entire med school process--from thinking about, applying to, and choosing a medical school and program, through the four-year curriculum, in ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Med School Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Med School Confidential

Savannah Darling
As someone who is considering a career change to medicine, this was exactly the first book I needed to read. This book takes you through the whole process of becoming a doctor, from emerging thoughts of becoming a pre-med student to finishing your residency. Although the latter parts may be far, far away in my future, I read through the entire book, and I think I got a much clearer picture of the process and various stresses I will be put through. Overall, after reading Med School Confidential, ...more
Brad
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone pre-med or thinking of doing so.
Recommended to Brad by: a fellow pre-med college student.
This book is a fabulous resource for those who are considering a career in medicine or for those who have already begun the preparations. It covers everything from choosing medicine as a vocation to finishing up residency and includes a lot of advice from other residents who were in the reader's shoes not long ago. The book also includes a section written by the wife of an MD to the spouses, families and other loved ones of the potential doctor.

The book is a powerhouse of information and a prett
Kaitlyn Ricci
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for someone considering medical school, already going to medical school, or someone who's friend or loved-one is headed in that direction. It certainly doesn't sugar coat the med school experience, but it doesn't seem to be too pessimistic either. Instead, it seems to offer an honest guide to the tough path to (and through) medical school. Definitely something I plan to refer to again and again throughout my journey!
Francine
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was born to be a doctor, it's my calling!. I want to be a doctor because it's so prestigious and you make the bucks or my grandpa and dad are well known surgeons or I'm a straight A student. Although these reasons may seem valid, the reality is that they are not. KNOW Yourself and examine thoroughly the reasons you are choosing this career before you embark in this humble,not so fancy journey. It's not that simple. The truth is medical school is not for everyone. (no matter what your intention ...more
Adrienne Le
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Med School Confidential because it was really helpful and effective guide to the entire medical school experience from start to finish. This book was a step-by-step guide about applying, interviewing, internships, residencies, etc. The book was also written by med school students who experienced this entire process and successfully survive med school, therefore this book is a pretty reliable source. Being someone who would like to pursue a career in the medical field one ...more
Alexa
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-Medical Majors, Medical Students, Doctors, Nurses, Family/Friends of Medical Students
Are you considering medical school, being a doctor, or are you just plain interested in medicine? Read this book.
It will quell many of your fears, as well as add to your current list of anticipated fears.
The book takes you through the entire process of driving on the path to a medical career, from finding the right car to maneuver techniques for dangerous situations. The most valuable bit of owning this book is that it can become one of your medical bibles (other than your review books and textb
Anna Chepurny
As someone who is currently in the interview process for med school, I thought the book has overall good advice. I like how it breaks the process down. Certain things are slightly outdated, i.e. regarding MCAT and application timelines, but any premed should have the specific info available as they get closer to applying.
Lauren
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually learned a few things from this book like resources I can utilise that I wasn't aware of. It also broke down the med school process and it was nice to be better acquainted with that. I will definitely hold on to this book and re-read the parts that pertain to what I'm going through.
Gayathri
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for medical students, because it tells them about what you have to do when you become a doctor, with 5 years of studying. Not just the money part. It is well described and written, but for a thirteen year old it is a little toooo much of pressure (complicated words etc.)
Mia
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Really great guide. Deals with some of the feelings, and questions that arise, but kind of deals with it as it comes, which is great. Suggest it for anyone going through the process (whatever stage), or anyone you know who is. Another great gift from my brother. :)
Jill Valentine
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful for anyone serious about entering the profession- it is straightforward and provides clear and good advice as far as I can tell...probably extremely boring and useless for anyone not on this path, though.
Andrew
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medicine
I discuss the book here:

This is a great book to guide anyone interested in the application process for medical school, how to apply with the highest chances of success, and how to endure the program itself, from medical student to resident.
Megan Wood
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent overview of what going to med school would really be like. I'm currently completing my undergrad in Nursing and have seriously considered going into Medicine afterwards. This book really lays everything out so that you know what to expect.
Eric
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, an informative book that gave me a broad overview of med education and bits & pieces of advice on other relevant topics.
But I didn’t like the arrogant, hyped-up “med school is so great” tone.
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-medicine
A great overview over the whole four years of med school. Prevents me from asking needlessly stupid questions. And has really great study tips too!
Morgan
Jul 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic for anyone interested in Medical School.
Jessica Sideways
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The information may be a little out of date but it does give you a nice roadmap through the whole process. ^_^
Hy
May 15, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
eek! am I going to med school?
Jane Hwang
A lot of information you can find online but what I liked was how the book kept track of me throughout my entire medical school journey from premed to medical school and onwards...
Sean
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a good overview of things to expect throughout the process of applying and completing medical school.
Mure Rooble
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it. A great resource to anyone aspiring to go to med school.
Rebecca Child
it might be time for me to re-read the chapters on actually being a med student now, and look ahead to clinical year rec's & even residency rec's.
John
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A to Z, everything you ever wondered about what it means to even think about going to med school.
Lauren
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • Emergency Doctor
  • What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors
  • Intern: A Doctor's Initiation
  • This Won't Hurt a Bit: (And Other White Lies): My Education in Medicine and Motherhood
  • The Soul of a Doctor: Harvard Medical Students Face Life and Death
  • Everything I Learned in Medical School: Besides All the Book Stuff
  • Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives
  • Letters to a Young Doctor
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
“By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the bitterest. —CONFUCIUS” 2 likes
“The only limitations are ones you impose on yourself.” 0 likes