Start by marking “Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)

Life, the Universe and Everything

(The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #3)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  194,561 ratings  ·  3,479 reviews
The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads–so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation.

They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the gr
Published April 26th 2005 by Del Rey (first published December 29th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Life, the Universe and Everything, please sign up.
Rick First of all; this is the third of five books in the Hitchhiker's Trilogy. Read it third, not first. If you'd read the the first two you'd know the an…moreFirst of all; this is the third of five books in the Hitchhiker's Trilogy. Read it third, not first. If you'd read the the first two you'd know the answer to your question.

There is no plot. Anything in any of these books that in anyway resembles a "plot" was put there by Adams just to throw you off the scent. Don't expect a plot, don't look for a plot; just read and enjoy. (less)
Yoy I would recommend reading ONLY part one and two. Three was made up with pieces for a Doctor Who series that were never used, and does not feel like a …moreI would recommend reading ONLY part one and two. Three was made up with pieces for a Doctor Who series that were never used, and does not feel like a real Hitchhikers' book. I did not like it. Four and five, I and don't know yet, am reading them. But they can never be better than one and two. And yes, it is necessary to read the first book first. If you wish, you can read only the first one.(less)

·  194,561 ratings  ·  3,479 reviews

Start your review of Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
Petra-X
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just read the most extraordinary thing. In the US version of the third novel of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Life, the Universe and Everything, the word 'Belgium' is used to replace the word "fuck" which was in the British publication.

Apparently Douglas Adams' American publishers thought that some of the language in the book was too crude for Americans and asked him to take out the words 'fuck', 'asshole' and 'shit'. Adams' replaced asshole with kneebiter, shit with swut and fuck w
Barry Pierce
I'm getting very bored of this series. While I like the characters and I understand the humour, I'm not laughing. I read these novels with a smile, not a smirk.
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adams-douglas
Some of the key elements of this third strike are normally terrifying horrors of Sci-Fi and no reason to laugh and have great entertainment, expect one it into that, but Adams´ has the ability to even turn extermination wars and sick mentalities into a funny and educating read.

Because it shows that hobbies like killing every living being in the universe without any good reason or at least an advantage is ridiculous and that any species that attempts wanton or accidental mass extinction, genocid
Henry Avila
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Arthur Dent finds himself living alone on prehistoric Earth, in a cold damp cave. His friend Ford Prefect, bored has wandered off early without saying a word to Africa Arthur learns later. The duo time travelers are here not voluntarily and have tried to adjust, the whole gang's been scattered all through the Galaxy not a fun situation. Marvin the depressed but amusing robot, has conversations with a talking mattress in a strange planet, Trillian at a party that never ends and Zaphod Beeblebrox ...more
R.K. Gold
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly brilliant discussing brilliant things lol the kind of book that you can’t read wrong. While the characters haven’t changed too much it’s more about throwing them in the wildest scenarios and watching how their differing personalities interact, the questions they’re asking are getting better.

What makes this series stand out is the strength of the narrator. The narrator is incredibly prominent and steals the show most of the time. What makes this book so enjoyable are not the actions t
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

Another world, another day, another dawn.
The early morning’s thinnest sliver of light appeared silently. Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.
There is a moment in every dawn when light floats, there is the possibility of magic. Creation holds its breath.

... and then a voice from above utters the words:

“You’re a jerk, Dent!”

Arthur Dent has every reason to be both puzzled and angry at
Ben
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True fans of the series
A series losing steam, and it's a real shame given the potential of the first two books--both fun, quick reads. This title is less focused on the sci-fi and philosophical underpinnings of the first two books. Instead, Adams here maintains sequences that hinge on bizarre chains of events and silly, ponderous exchanges between characters who have less and less of an idea as to what exactly is happening around them. These felt a long 200+ pages indeed.

The bon mots and clever passages are fewer and
Ahmad Sharabiani
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3), Douglas Adams
After being stranded on pre-historic Earth after the events in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Arthur Dent is met by his old friend Ford Prefect, who drags him into a space-time eddy, represented by an anachronistic sofa. The two end up at Lord's Cricket Ground two days before the Earth's destruction by the Vogons. Shortly after they arrive, a squad of robots land in a spaceship in the middle of the
Bradley
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, 2020-shelf, humor
In a lot of ways, this book is a lot better than Restaurant at the End of the Universe simply because it has a lot more regular plot action and better-defined enemies despite all the Timey-Wimey stuff that comes necessarily with being a hitchhiker.

Things I've learned:

Arthur Dent is a mass murderer. Or a slightly scattered universal-sequential murderer. Or maybe he's just tactless.

Cricket, or rather, the planet Krikkit is full of a bunch of a-holes.

And I've also learned that I REALLY, REALLY don'
Manny
People may have noticed that I've recently become very interested in theories of physics which involve multiple universes. I've spent a fair amount of time over the last few weeks reading about them and discussing the ideas.

Since it's buried in one of my other reviews, let me present my conclusions explicitly. To my surprise, I discover that there is a great deal of evidence to support the claim that we are only one of many universes, and, moreover, that we know what these other universes are. T
Trish
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur and Ford are still on prehistoric Earth in the beginning, but thanks to timey-wimey stuff they are getting out of their predicament in no time (which equals approximately 5 years). Meanwhile, Trillian has found a new boyfriend and he is ... divine. The problem is that when Arthur gets back to Earth shortly before its demise (see book 1), there is an alien race from planet Cricket Krikkit who has suddenly become aware of the universe - and doesn't like it. So now our friends, with the help ...more
Tudor Vlad
I'm feeling some series fatigue after binge-reading this and the second book over the weekend. I don't know if this was indeed a weaker/more confusing volume or was it just the fact that too much of a good thing can sometimes be bad. Either way, I had some difficulty finishing it and I think I won't be reading the 4th and 5th book anytime soon. It gets 3 stars (2,5 actually) because despite it being really confusing and at time frustrating, it still had a lot of fun and hilarious moments.
Brandon Collinsworth
this is the last book in the series that I really enjoyed and I almost wish Douglas Adams would have called it quits here. The book gives us the chance to laugh at ourselves in going back to prehistoric earth and Adams alternate view of how we ended up the creatures we are, that was extremely clever.

But Krikkit was the best part, this story was amazing and I can't help but wonder if Adams religous views are at work here. A group of people that just can't accept the idea that there might be anoth
Olga
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Maybe 2.5 stars. Half the time I didn't understand what the hell was happening. These books are usually a little crazy and over the top, but this one was specially weird.
I'm giving it a 3 star rating, because of the audiobook. Martin Freeman's narration made this really enjoyable and I laughed out loud a lot of times. Arthur is still an amazing character, not much change about the way he's written but still my favorite.
Jonathan Terrington

As a continuation of Douglas Adams' famous The Hitchiker's Guide Series this was, as indicated by the foreword, one of the most plotted in the series. But as also indicated by the foreword, you don't read The Hitchiker's Guide Series for the plots. So, you ask me, what do you read it for? You read it for the sense of wonder about the crazy place the universe is. You read it for the comedy of Douglas Adams, for his creative and zany use of made up people, places, words...for his use of language.
Cecily
Hitchhiker's, volume 3.

Mostly about Krikkit - and the Bistromathic Drive, which is better than mere Infinite Improbability.

The immortal Wowbanger the Infinitely Prolonged gave himself the task of insulting everyone in the universe - individually (but nearly did Arthur twice).

It has the usual wonderful Adamsness:

The "knack" of learning to fly is to "throw yourself at the ground and miss".

"Aggressively uninterested".

"One thing has suddenly ceased to lead to another".

Slartibartfast, who has on
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
ZOWEE!!

Grab a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, a towel and a couple of Babel Fish and let’s spend some time with Douglas Adams’ fantastic would building!

It’s more fun than Vogon poetry contest.

Since Adams first lifted his thumb for a ride in 1979’s The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, fans have been keeping up with Zaphod, Trillian, Ford and Arthur and we cannot forget Marvin.

This time around we find Ford and Arthur getting some exile time in prehistoric Earth until Slartibartifast shows up for the
Ferdy
As fun and silly as the previous instalments. The best part was that random guy going around insulting everyone.
Elinor
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Probably the only book in the universe that is both centred on cricket and really comical!

In this third volume of the Trilogy of Five, Arthur Dent has spent five harrowing years in his cave on prehistoric Earth. Ford pops out of nowhere, and they travel in time to Lord’s Cricket Ground, just as England win the Ashes. Arthur and Ford end up fleeing a chaotic scene on board Slartibartfast’s cleverly disguised spaceship. And the adventure begins!

In his usual laugh-out-loud style, Douglas Adams tell
J.G. Keely
The universe is a joke.

Even before I was shown the meaning of life in a dream at 17 (then promptly forgot it because I thought I smelled pancakes), I knew this to be true--and yet, I have always felt a need to search for the truth, that nebulous, ill-treated creature. Adams has always been, to me, to be a welcome companion in that journey.

Between the search for meaning and the recognition that it's all a joke in poor taste lies Douglas Adams, and, luckily for us, he doesn't seem to mind if you
Ms. Smartarse
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This was rather disappointing...

To fans of the series, I should mention that the book is still extremely quotable, there is still a lot of irony at the expense of the political/social system. But all in all, I found everything rather confusing.

Basically the story could be resumed like this:
Arthur Dent gets insulted
Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect travel through time, and are asked to save the universe.
Arthur wants to understand who/what/why is threatening it, while Ford just wants to go to a party.
Debbie
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok I have no idea why I love these books so much, but here we are. They are such wildly bizarre fun!

I love how the author frequently harkens back to plot points and gags from earlier in the book or series, without those jokes feeling overdone or stale.
Katie
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, comedy, sci-fi
I appreciate Douglas Adams a bit more each time that I read him. This was unsurprisingly lovely and funny and very enjoyable. It's a wonderful thing to read if you're having a bad day and it's rainy outside (or hey, even if it's sunny).

I don't think I really noticed it before, but reading through this I kept finding myself thinking that Douglas Adams could easily have been a very successful "serious" writer too, if he had wanted to be one. He's a wonderful writer, and there are a couple of turn
Gauri
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
My rating simply reflects my enjoyment of the novel.

I get the humor, but I didn't laugh. There were several clever little plot sequences and lines, but nothing much more than that, it seems. The first book presented some great ideas. The second book presented, more or less, two good ideas. The third book... I couldn't find anything worthwhile. Please do comment below if you noticed something I didn't, because I really don't want to set down this book without gaining anything from it.
Joe
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
'From the studios on the unstable fourth moon of Vega four; it's The Ua show!' The announcer shouted as Ua emerged from behind the curtain to the applause of her live audience.

'Thank you, thank you.' She called to her adoring fans. 'And I must say I love you all. Even the reptiloids. Oh what am I saying; especially the reptiloids.' Light laughter followed.

'Today we have with us the stars of Life, the Universe and Everything.' She called out while making a horizontal slash through the air; a pa
Pragya Joshi
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I didn't like about this book was it's lack of Zaphod Beeblebrox.
Amanda Bannister
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barking mad and made me chuckle 😁Short and easy to read, I will definitely be finishing this trilogy of five soon!
FlibBityFLooB
How can you go wrong with the zany mind of author Douglas Adams? Arthur, living alone on prehistoric Earth, decides happily to himself that he will go mad and announces it to the empty world. Ford, who unexpectedly reappears after being gone for four years, tells Arthur that he went mad for a while and it did him a lot of good. I loved Ford’s description of his bout of self-imposed madness: “And then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. I kept myself amused all that time jumping in ...more
Mellow
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really enjoy this book. There's a sense of aimlessness to it that makes it hard to concentrate.
David Sarkies
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
It's all just a game of cricket
25 October 2016 - Clifton Hill

I'm going to have to be honest here and admit that I really wasn't all that impressed with this book. In fact the story was originally meant to be a six part Doctor Who series which was rejected by the producers, and I can see why – it just really didn't seem to be what I would expect from Doctor Who. Okay, the Doctor can be pretty tongue in cheek at times, and while there are suggestions that some Earth practices have extra-terrestri

• And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • Foundation and Empire (Foundation #2)
  • Second Foundation (Foundation #3)
  • Speaker for the Dead (Ender's Saga, #2)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Book 1 of 3 (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1)
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • Foundation's Edge (Foundation #4)
  • Douglas Adams' the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: the Authorized Collection (Comic)
  • Xenocide (Ender's Saga, #3)
  • Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • The Time Machine
  • Foundation (Foundation, #1)
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was ...more

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5 books)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)