Start by marking “White Heat (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #1)” as Want to Read:
White Heat (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #1)

White Heat (Dept 6 Hired Guns #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,155 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
A dangerous cult has recently taken over the desert ghost town of Paradise, Arizona. Members worship at the feet--and in the bed--of its charismatic leader, Ethan Wycliff, and obey his orders blindly. They've already tried to murder one woman and they're implicated in the disappearance of another.

Nate Ferrentino, who works for private security contractor Department 6, has
Published August 1st 2010 by Mira Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about White Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Heat

Keri
Lauren
White Heat
3 Stars

Similar premise to Cheyenne McCray's Chosen Prey although the balance between the romance and suspense is slightly off.

The cult and its leader are suitably creepy and depraved but the only reason they pose a threat is because Nate and Rachel are so woefully unprepared for their assignment. The lack of background on Department 6 and its operatives, the wobbly professionalism of the undercover agents and the heroine's somewhat TSTL actions all undermine the promise of the plot.

N
Noelle
This book is 90% suspence and 10% romance and part of me wanted to only give this one 4 1/2 * for the lack of discribed love scenes but the story was just too good to do that. There are two love scenes and the second owe is a little more detailed but mainly both are about a paragraph and more about the emotions that are felt by both H/h.

Rachel (h) had grown up with a religous zelot for a father. Not aloud to do much of anything (birthdays,holidays, visting friends, dating, college) until she lef
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Review copy provided by publisher

Why I Read this Book: I have been reading quite of few romantic suspense novels lately and what I found out is that I really enjoy reading this sub-genre. I am also fascinated with CSI and forensics. So when I came across this book, it caught my interest. Though, I was a bit concerned about the religious cult element and I had hoped it wouldn’t be too overbearing. So much for wishful thinking.

What I Liked: The plot was well thought out. The religious cult that th
Monique
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Brenda Novak isn't kidding with this book. Ethan Wycliff is the dazzling religious leader of the Church of the Covenant which has raised suspicious all over town after the attempted stoning of one of their women – for sleeping with her husband. Another young woman has gone missing and her parents aren't leaving the Covenanters alone until they find her.

In steps Department 6 – a group of retired special forces men and women, police officers, and investigators, where both Rachel and Nate work. Rac
Manda Collins
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thrillers, suspense-plots, friends to lovers plots
Recommended to Manda by: NetGalley
Another chilling romantic suspense read from Brenda Novak. When Nate and Rachel are sent by the private security firm they work for to infiltrate an Arizona cult, they know it's going to be tough. Since the two shared a night of passion six months ago, that ended badly, neither of them is looking forward to the assignment which will include their posing as a young married couple interested in joining the cult. Rachel, whose father was a religious zealot knows it won't be easy, but neither of the ...more
Casee
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I love Brenda Novak. I started reading her when she was still writing Harlequin’s. Her first few romance suspense books didn’t impress me, but I’ve always liked her writing style. Sticking with her was a good choice. She is now an auto-buy author for me. The characters she writes are simply amazing. Some of the things that they have gone through and still must go through makes you want to keep reading.

This is the first book in her new Dept. 6 Hired Gun series. It’s a weird name. Quite a mouthful
Patti TheLoveJunkee
My thoughts:
The storyline of White Heat caught and kept my attention: Private investigators infiltrating a religous cult (the "Covenanteers") to find missing women and bring the cult down if indeed there are shenanigans afoot (and you just know there are!). The investigators who are playing husband/wife, Nate and Rachel, have a weird history both apart and together. I'm not sure how to go into it without spoilers but here goes:

Rachel's father was a religious zealot/cult leader and she left when
Kelly Moran
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
It was a horrible experience that jump-started New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Brenda Novak's career-- she caught her daycare teacher drugging her children to get them to sleep. Deciding she needed to work from home, she penned her first novel, and has been a sensation ever since. Other titles include: Trust Me, Watch Me, Stop Me, Dead Silence, Dead Giveaway, Dead Right, The Perfect Couple, The Perfect Murder, and The Perfect Liar. She also heads an annual fundraiser for diabetes ...more
Suspense Magazine
Tendrils of barely contained tension fight to escape the pages as Novak—an expert in romantic suspense—introduces readers to her newest trilogy in “White Heat”. Building on the delicate balance of pressure, the layers seem to effortlessly slide into place creating the intricate balance required for excellence in suspense.

The stage is set as Rachel Jessop and Nate Ferrentino—private security contractors with Department 6—receive their risky assignment. Tasked with infiltrating a secretive and re
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 07, 2016 01:40PM
hello ev1, 1 5 May 24, 2012 08:46PM
  • Dangerous Desires (A-Tac, #2)
  • Love You to Death
  • Last to Die (Sheridan, #2)
  • Unforgivable (Tracers #3)
  • Simon Says Die (Deadly Games, #2)
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
  • Into the Night (The Reliance Group, #1)
  • Swept Aside (Storm Front, #3)
  • Make Her Pay (Bullet Catcher, #8)
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Riptide (Cutter Cay, #2)
  • Caught in the Act (Border Patrol, #1)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me  (Secrets of Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)
  • Play Dead
  • Worth the Trip
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

Dept 6 Hired Guns (3 books)
  • Body Heat  (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #2)
  • Killer Heat  (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #3)