Start by marking “The World of Tiers, Volume 1 (World of Tiers Omnibus 1-3)” as Want to Read:
The World of Tiers, Volume 1 (World of Tiers Omnibus 1-3)

The World of Tiers, Volume 1 (World of Tiers Omnibus 1-3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  649 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The Tiers series chronicles the adventures of both Robert Wolff, a man from our world transported through space-time to a cosmos with dimensions and laws different from our own, and Kickaha the Trickster (a.k.a. Paul J. Finnegan, also from our contemporary world). Separately and together, the two heroes contend against the Lords who rule the separate universes, of which th ...more
Published October 15th 1996 by Tor Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Tiers, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Tiers, Volume 1

Dan Schwent
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: farmer, favorites
The World of Tiers is a step-pyramid of mind-boggling size, each tier populated with people plucked from various points in the earth's history as well as monsters created by the super science of the Lord, Jadawin. On with the show.

The Maker of Universes: The Maker of Universes starts out with Robert Wolff, a hen-pecked retiree, hearing the sounds of a horn being blown inside the basement closet of a house he and his wife are thinking of buying. Wolff opens the door and discovers a gateway to ano
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an Omnibus volume of the first 3 books. I read these long ago and really had almost forgotten them. When Robert Wolff finds a horn that opens a gate into what is apparently another universe (and steps through, don't they always? But then if he hadn't we wouldn't have a book to read would we?). He finds himself on a world made up of ascending "Tiers", much like one disc atop another (No, Terry Pratchett had nothing to do with it).

We get a "revelation about Wolff as the first volume ends (
Gilliam
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Lightweight, episodic fantasy adventure inclusive of everything but the kitchen sink; boasting gobs of violence, the obligatory objectification of the female form as well as the prototypical prepubescent obsession with "manly manliness".
Kristie
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a totally random find. I realized I had the series digitally and could put it on my PDA so I started reading it. It is a great story, nice twists and excellent writing. Not too much description of the surroundings, but enough to make you feel like you are there. Characters are well done and the situations they are put in keep the story going at a very nice pace.

Highly recommended for Sci-Fi fans.
Chris Bensen
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in an unforgettable fast-paced series of fantasy novels that would make excellent films, very pulpy and wonderful about another realm consisting of stacked enormous planes like pancakes, each its own world.
Charles
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have the Science Fiction Book club Omnibus of the first two Tiers books, "The Maker of Universes" and "The Gates of Creation." Both books are excellent. Mine is a different cover from this one.
Olga
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have now read the first 77 pages out of "The Maker of Universes". This book makes me want to give up on reading what is called "sci-fi" altogether. The book is really a fantasy book, there is not much "science"... There is a lot of violence, plenty of corpses, ... Endless travel through the tiers (regions). Not much of development of characters... The author threw together some bits and pieces from myths, Native American culture,... Could it be more of a superficial hodge-podge of what an aver ...more
Tim Deans
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I generally love all of Philip Farmer's work and this is no exception. Finding a doorway to another universe might not be a new concept, but the way the universe he describes is incredible. A world built in slices - the tiers of the title - with columns between them. And each world populated by creatures and people abducted from other worlds. The main character, Wolff, finds himself in the world of tiers and has to unravel its mysteries and is aided by a stranded earthman, Kickaha. Brilliant!
Travis
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
A rift opens in space and an old man finds himself on the strange wedding cake shaped world. Fun bit of fantasy full of fights, quests, daring do, centaurs and damsels.
The World of Tiers is one of the great fantasy worlds.

My only problem is that Farmer becomes more interested in the main character's sidekick and the 'hero' gradually gets phased out of the book.
That and the threat of the 'Bellers' becoming the main plot and I didn't think they were the most interesting bad guy that Farmer introdu
Andrea
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a huge fan of stright sci-fi novels, however this one really caught me big time. I was drawn into it within the first three pages and could not put it down until I finished it. I closed the book and looked at it for a few minutes before I could put it down. I gave it to my mother and she had a rave review for it also. I loved the plot in this book, the leads were interesting, and so were the villians. Pick it up and give it a go.
Stuart
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Unfinished, although I read most of the first volume (there are two volumes in this book). Just couldn't get into it. A look at Wikipedia made the twist intriguing, but getting there was just not worth it at this moment. Still, I imagine if I had read this while younger, I would have enjoyed it much more.
Fellini
Dec 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Мэрисьюшные истории о Роберте Вольфе, внезапно через шкаф попавшем в другой мир. Там он конечно же становится молодым умным геркулесом и всех побеждает. Во второй повести он делает это ещё раз, только в других декорациях. Именно в декорациях, потому что множественные миры описаны подробно, но живыми почему-то не кажутся.
Zashi
May 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Old-school fantasy on crack. Complete with sexism and a super manly man guy dude. This book's size makes it excellent for propping up rickety chairs and tables. I wouldn't recommend actually reading it.
Carol Cotter
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Entertaining - but corny! It has something of the Edgar Rice Burroughs about it.
Audrey
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
These were my favorite books growing up. Great sci-fi.
Peter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I found the Tiers trilogy fascinating when a teen but nowadays it's a bit ho hum
RC
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pulp fantasy that goes on far too long.
Albert
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it
So far quite ok
Nietra
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites. Good for a yearly re-read.
David
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-teen, champagne
Loved it years ago as a young teenager. It is very corny, as is the whole series, a bit like a hollywood movie where the completely out gunned hero can defeat all comers. But original.
JB Peterson
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fantasy adventure classic. If you follow Robert Wolff into the World of Tiers you will not want to leave.
Chris Mcmanaman
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Page turner! Loved this series
Dean
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Started strong, but then it fell apart. I've been spoiled by more contemporary sci-fi/fantasy authors!
Caveadsum
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time, but I seem to recall liking this book a lot.
Andy
COMPRISES THREE NOVELS: MASTER OF UNIVERSES (1965); THE GATES OF CREATION (1966); A PRIVATE COSMOS (1967).
Wayne
  • The Best of Frederik Pohl
  • Prostho Plus
  • Telempath
  • Dwellers in the Mirage
  • The Argonaut Affair (Time Wars, #7)
  • Strength of Stones
  • Doctor Who: The Faceless Ones
  • The Walrus And The Warwolf
  • Slipt
  • The Military Form (The Vang, #2)
  • The Cyborg and the Sorcerers (War Surplus, #1)
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • God Game
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th
More about Philip José Farmer...

World of Tiers (8 books)
  • The Maker of Universes (World of Tiers, #1)
  • The Gates of Creation (World of Tiers, #2)
  • A Private Cosmos (World of Tiers #3)
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • Red Orc's Rage (World of Tiers #6)
  • More Than Fire (World of Tiers, #7)
  • The World of Tiers