Start by marking “Street Photography Now” as Want to Read:
Street Photography Now

Street Photography Now

For the last twenty years the candid photography of life in public has been mostly underground but secretly flourishing, stimulated by the wide availability of digital cameras, a profusion of photoblogs, and new self-publishing opportunities.

Street Photography Now showcases the work of forty-six image-makers who are notable for their candid depictions of life on the
Published October 15th 2010 by Thames Hudson (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Street Photography Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Photography Now

Start your review of Street Photography Now
Meagan
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
What an exciting find! My familiarity with street photography up until this point has been pretty much confined to the big names from the past: Brassaï, Doisneau, Levitt, Frank, etc. (With some fairly massive gaps, I'm sure.) But this book provides a very nice survey of street photographers working today. People from all over the world, in color and black and white, with wildly differing techniques and philosophies. There's a short intro to each photographer, along with a selection of their ...more
Joe
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Good collection of interesting images; however, it was a bit too limited to really get a grasp of each photographer's work. It's an interesting sampling, but I don't feel like I know any of these photographers much better. Either way, a great survey of modern street photography.
Eric Strijbos
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photobook
Everyone interested in Street photography will have his book shortlist that likely will be topped by Robert Frank's The Americans and contain this or that by Cartier-Bresson, but if you want to look beyond the uncropped, black and white and film dogmas of the Street 'purists', this is it. Street photography is still alive, and very much 'now', and this book shows it. As such it can be a great inspiration, especially when you've got tired and demotivated by the countless online discussions what ...more
Christel
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fotografie
Every photographer, professioanl or amateur, should have a look at this wonderful book. So many exapmles, styles, ideas: you want to grab your camera and start taking pictures immediatly.
My favorite quot from this book: 'If you can smell the street by looking at the photo, it's a street photograph' (Bruce Gilden)
Brian Umholtz
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book. It is a compendium of many modern street photographers- all from, and working in, different parts of the world. It seems like they all work for Magnum Photos, so I'm not sure if this book is an advertisement for them or what. Regardless, it appears to be a very complete book on the subject.

The quality of the photograph reproduction is very good. Each artist's profile is written like a brief biography so as to allow the artwork more room. Thankfully, this is the case;
Peter Beck
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
My best $2 library book sale find of the month! Street photography has an immediateness and rawness that I have always loved. This is a collection of nearly four dozen photographers from around the world. Some of the pictures do feel random, but when you find the right person/people (in my own work) or the juxtaposition of elements, the results can be magical. The book includes a wonderful "Global Conversation" with six of the photographers.
Lauren Callahan
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I have been practicing street photography for a couple of years and learned so much reading this! There was a great display of various artists and their styles and the survey was well researched.
James Ip
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic collection of photos and essays from top photographers. This really helped me learn more about this genre of photography and I love looking at these photos for inspiration. Highly recommended.
710Charlie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing publishing and photographs.
Bettina
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Absolutely amazing book with beautiful photographs.
Ralph
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for street photography
Bi__y__g
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why is the pigeon so big?
Jereme
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I believe that with photography---and street photography, in particular---one must really delve into a photographer's body of work to experience his or her art. Three or four photos is not enough. There are some talented shooters in here that I wanted to explore further, but I was unable to find good presentations of their work elsewhere. As for those who do have published collections readily available, I was quite familiar with them prior to reading this book already.

That being said, this is a
Drew Brereton
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book of modern street photography. It is essentially a sampler of the work of many different photographers, with each getting 2-8 pages, or so. The authors describe the approach used by each, including several quotes and observations. The pictures are really wonderful; often moving, striking, or humorous. It's a great read for fans of street photography. My only criticism is that the text felt a little repetitive toward the end, after describing the often similar styles of so many ...more
Scott
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice effort. Well rounded, international, heterogeneous sense of what street photography is and can be. I wish the print quality had been a little better, and that the texts for many photographers defied the gallery gobbledegook so rampant in the art world (e.g., picked at random: "There's a tantalizing, asymptotic convergence between reality and a photograph, but the two never seem to get together."). But overall a welcome survey.

The discussion that concludes the book, though kind of nerdy,
Selina Kyle
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. A good variety of artists and styles, and representation of the struggles photographers (especially those photographing on the streets) face today. Some of the photos are breathtaking at first glance; some of them you have to study a moment to see what makes it work. And that's what I love about spontaneous portraiture like this: it's chaotic and serendipitous.

Also it's inspiring. I would like to be a photojournalist in some capacity and the unplanned nature of street photography
Mike
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
A good collection of current street photography from a global perspective. It is global now.

The book also interviews photographers about changing societal rules that challenge photographers in a world of CCTV, terrorism, and privacy concerns. Just today, March 15, 2014 Hungary passed a law that all photo subjects must consent to being photographed in public...

Overall a good photo book, in a world where there are fewer and fewer photography books at all.
Tony
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
A good and enjoyable journey of current street photographers and their pictures. Nice to see Asian photographers being shown too. 46 photographers are show-cased from the well-konw, like Bruce Gilden and Martin Parr to the less well-known. Each photographer is given a short biography followed by a description about the style and objectives that each have with a small selection of photographs.

I really enjoyed this and still dip into it to get some inspiration.
Michael Bacon
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
As good as a book like this can be expected to be really, except one thing. Despite being a survey of street photography that is interested in different photographer's interests and processes, very little is said of how their photos are actually made. I wish more context was provided for individual photos. Still, it's excellent, and some might disagree with my quibble anyway.
Skyler
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Stare. It is the way to educate your eye, and more. Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." Walker Evans

"Birdwatchers will often wait for hours for a small brown bird to leave its nest, but we rarely stop to examine our everyday behavior in such detail." Paul Russell
Dan
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good survey of Street Photography as of 2010. I learned about a new crop of active photographers that I will investigate further. It showed a bunch of different styles, as well. A great resource.
Sharada Prasad
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked the choice of photos. But nothing about the exposure information in any of the photos. Also, the organization of the book is little weird. I enjoyed the photographs, but I was not super happy with all of them
Ketan Shah
Aug 25, 2013 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
An inspiring collection of street photography with an emphasis on the photographers and their philosophy of photography. Can be read at one shot or dipped into as the mood hits .
Niti
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Learnt that you can take pics of everyday routin and it can still tell a story and stand out..
João Lamas
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
A new look on every day subjects. Something to inspire my next photographic trip.
Reacher
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by the high quality of the writing in this book, which being a photography book has an emphasis on the photos. I found it an excellent experience all around.
Alison
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well documented and inspiring, this book gives a quick introduction to some amazing street photographers.
Chantal Jauvin
This is a great book for someone as myself just starting in photography. It takes you step by step to acquire solid basics.
Peter Hall
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plenty of well presented photos - some baffle, others inspire. Interesting essays and photographer profiles. Now where did I put the Leica...

• The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • The Camera (Ansel Adams Photography, #1)
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • William Eggleston's Guide
  • Richard Avedon Portraits
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography
  • The Americans
  • Immediate Family
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows