Start by marking “Biggles and the Cruise of the Condor” as Want to Read:
Biggles and the Cruise of the Condor

Biggles and the Cruise of the Condor

(Biggles #2)

A visit to Biggles' uncle, Dickpa, lands Biggles, Algy and mechanic Smyth in a dangerous adventure looking for an ancient Inca treasure hoard.
Published August 7th 1994 by Red Fox Books (first published August 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Biggles and the Cruise of the Condor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biggles and the Cruise of the Condor

Start your review of Biggles and the Cruise of the Condor
Sem
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ripping-yarns
I ought to give this 4 stars since it's as good in its way as Biggles Flies South but I prefer desert to jungle. Otherwise, the usual warnings apply:

1. Never travel without a Very pistol. You'll need it at least once to scare the natives.
2. Don't expect the subsidiary characters to engage in conversation. For long periods of time both you and the author will forget their existence.
3. There will be crocodiles.
4. The party has a compass only when it's absolutely necessary to the plot. The rest of
Pasan Rajadasa
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A typical W.E. Johns. If you give a real thought about a story of a Biggles book, it sometimes doesn't even make any sense. The real success of these books is that they do not let the reader figure out that. There will always be a interesting machine, long journey with not enough petrol, the villian with a better machine and a weirdly thrilling kind of an adventure tied up to them.
Who would complain? well... not me. I'm a fan of wartime side tracked stories... and airplanes!
I've read only arou
Olivia
This book takes a totally different feel to it. There is a lot of potential in this story, and I'm not really condemning in for any reason other than the fact that I didn't enjoy it that much.

With the Great War over with, Biggles and Argy are bored...no more fighting the Germans and life looks pretty bleak. But when Biggle's uncle, Dickpa, asks them to come they are thrown into a wild adventure that is even crazier than wartime. Treasure, in Brazil, but there are others trying to get it too!

What
Edwin
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeugd, 2016
Redelijk saai verhaal, waarin Biggles, Algy, Smyth en oom Dickpa op weg gaan naar Brazilië om een grote goudschat te zoeken.

Na de nodige avonturen lijkt het Biggles cs. uiteindelijk de schat te vinden, maar of ze er mee naar huis kunnen komen is een tweede.

Een aantal dingen vond ik wel leuk om te lezen, zoals het begin van het verhaal, en de scene met die mieren die het hele vliegtuig bedekten.

Lange tijd was het mij in het verhaal onduidelijk of ze nu IN de berg waren, want beschreven werd dat
Michael Thomas
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favourite Biggles book after the early WW1 books. We get secondhand aircraft, dodgy foreigners and golden treasure. On top of this Biggles has a rather funky amphibian aircraft to travel about in. Top stuff!
Alan Wightman
Biggles books are sometimes known for their racism, and this book certainly is true to the renown. The white characters, or at least all British white characters, of whom there are precisely five, are courageous, resourceful, and gentlemanly. Nearly everyone else is a villain. Page 45 contains the remarkable sentence, describing a prison, “It’s full of Indians, n*ggers, and half-breeds, the scum of the earth.”

Even more stark, however, is the sexism. Women are not objectified, vilified or abused.
SierraKiloBravo
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Link to my review: https://sierrakilobravo.wordpress.com...

Carrying on my mission to read all 98 Biggles book, I’ve now finished the second book in the series, The Cruise of the Condor.

In this second adventure of Biggles, we find ourselves at an unspecified time after the first world war where Biggles and Algy are feeling a bit bored with how quiet post-war life is, and so they go and visit Biggles’ uncle Dickpa. Upon arrival at uncle Dickpa’s estate, immediately an adventure gets underway leadi
Andrew Ives
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aviation, childrens
Unlike the only other Biggles book I've read, this is not at all related to WW1 and is slightly less aviation-centric. Biggles' uncle Dickpa is some kind of explorer, who persuades him to come on an adventure to Brazil and Bolivia in the titular amphibious 'Condor' plane, and as such most of the story takes place in South American jungles and mountains. This feels rather Indiana Jones-ish, which is no bad thing, but slightly more believable, educational and a little less action-packed than the m ...more
Graham
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
CRUISE OF THE CONDOR is a very different BIGGLES to the first one. That was a collection of WW1-themed short stories linked by the central characters, whereas this is a single jungle adventure in which Biggles and co. join his uncle in a hunt for some missing Incan treasure. It's thrilling, Boy's Own-style adventure material, as page-turning as you could hope for; I read it in a single day. The narrative is lean and action-packed, to the point throughout. The jungle setting is brought to life vi ...more
Ian Cooper
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great classic by Johns.

Gripped from the beginning. A true Percy Fawcett type adventure. The jungle is described beautifully as are the animals. I really could picture the train of ants attacking the plane.
Brian Gormley
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5. Another quick read, typical Boys Own adventure. I’m reading quite a few of the Biggles books at the moment. They’re a real window into social history and geography - in this case the 1920s in the Amazon / Matto Grosso - and a snapshot of the British colonial mindset. I’m pretty sure these modern versions have been edited to remove some of the more racist viewpoints, but there’s a clear theme of foreigners being untrustworthy, and foreign lands existing to enrich westerners - belief ...more
Cameron
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic tale of adventure set in deepest South America.
Andy Davis
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Good campy Amazonian action adventure with ancient hidden treasures and baddy hoodlums trying to get to it first.
Ginevra
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Biggles!!!!
Full story, not collection, just as enjoyable and educational, if not more. Engaging, full of fun facts and hair raising adventure all the way!
Robert Hepple
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
First published in 1933, Biggles and the Cruise of the Condor is an exciting thriller in which Biggles assists his explorer uncle in a return trip to the Amazon to seek buried Inca treasure, pursued by crooks after the same treasure. I read this in the 1960s and wondered how my perception would have changed in the years since - but it is also true that Johns rewrote so many of his novels that it wasn't sure to resemble the 1950s copy that I read back then. Treatment of non-white foreigners varie ...more
Malcolm
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
As with most of the other novels in this series, The cruise of the Condor is highly formulaic, there is no depth of thought in the themes and the characters are two dimensional. His characterisation of American gangsters and Brazilian nationals is as ludicrous as his depiction of anyone who is not British, inferior and untrustworthy. Many of the elements of the story also appear in one of his last novels, Biggles and the Blue Moon. The role of Smythe also shows Johns sees value in keeping those ...more
Barry Haworth
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
When I was growing up my brother was a great reader of Biggles books, a passion which I did not share at the time. I did read a few of them, and this was one which I remember reading multiple times, and which I still dig out every now and then.

The Cruise of the Condor is one of the earlier Biggles books, in which Biggles and his friend Algy, bored after the end of the first world war, visit Biggles' uncle Dickpa and get caught up in an adventure searching for Inca treasure. Think Indiana Jones w
Gus
Nov 08, 2015 added it
As others have said.

This is a great story, of course its not realistic, its an adventure yarn!

And set it in context, im old enough to have been affected by the "class" system.

I wouldnt be calling him Sir either, but its a story.

I much prefer this style of Biggles to the later books, its like the first world war books.
If you want racisim read in Australia, we are all children of our times and Johns has B stating the colour of a mans skin doesnt matter, its the person inside.
Its a simple well pac
Daniel Bratell
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you want a book that is 200 pages of non stop action, then this is the perfect book. Not a page goes by without dangerous people, animals, weather, accidents, attacks or other action happening. As for the story, well, it's the typical "going for treasure in jungle being chased by bad guys" story.

Possibly a trifle too long despite being a short book. It might have been one action event too many.

I am pretty sure I read this in the eighties as well.
Jeane
Biggles stories are the kind of relaxing, simple, light and very British war stories to read. This time however there was a difference, because Biggles wasn't working as a pilot during wartime. And this made him so borred that he went to visit Dickpa who led him into a completely different adventure than Biggles is used to.
Chathubhanu
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any of the originals yet but these translations make me want to.
Have read this several times and I still love it. A mixture of history and our Air Force hero Biggles.
Couldn't ask for a better story. Enjoyable.
Neil Davies
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
The action never lets up in this, the first Biggles novel (as different from the first Biggles book which was basically a series of short stories). Suspend your disbelief and just hang on for the ride. It's not great literature, it's not always believable but it is great fun.
Patrick
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
set between the 1st and 2nd world wars the cruise of the condor is about a experdition to south America to look for Inca gold. it teaches you a lot about the wars and the role planes played in them.
Philip
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favourite book as a child. Don't know how many times I read it. Inspired a lifelong fascination with South America. Action in the book never lets up. A great 'ripping yarn'.
Chamod Weerasinghe
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Quite an interesting story, action filled from beginning to end.
Julia
Fun adventure story, but OH WOW THE RACISM.
Shaun Hately
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of the post-World War I books, this is a stirring story of Boys' Own adventure.
Salome
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
What a family that Biggles has: when he complains that he hasn't been threatened for a long time, it is enough to visit his uncle. And he gets a culturan enrichment too!
Chelsea Moseley
Apr 20, 2015
Abhinay Verma
Sep 07, 2014

• The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology
  • The State of the Art (Culture, #4)
  • Hostage (Bodyguard, #1)
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
  • The Way of the Dragon (Young Samurai, #3)
  • The Escape (Henderson's Boys, #1)
  • The Way of the Warrior (Young Samurai, #1)
  • Conan the Unconquered (Conan, #3)
  • Rumble Fish
  • Pnin
  • The Damascened Blade (Joe Sandilands, #3)
  • Penguin Lost
  • The Tudor Vendetta (The Spymaster Chronicles, #3)
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches (Yuasa)
  • Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad
  • The Joy of Sex
  • The Revolution Betrayed
  • The Lost Fortune of the Tsars
Invariably known as Captain W.E. Johns, William Earl Johns was born in Bengeo, Hertfordshire, England. He was the son of Richard Eastman Johns, a tailor, and Elizabeth Johns (née Earl), the daughter of a master butcher. He had a younger brother, Russell Ernest Johns, who was born on 24 October 1895.

He went to Hertford Grammar School where he was no great scholar but he did develop into a crack sh

Biggles (1 - 10 of 126 books)
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming