Start by marking “Biggles in France” as Want to Read:
Biggles in France

Biggles in France

(Biggles #9)

Published July 27th 1993 by Red Fox Books (first published November 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Biggles in France, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biggles in France

Start your review of Biggles in France
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
This is a collection of somewhat connected short stories (each spread over roughly two chapters) of Biggles’ adventures when posted at a French airbase Maranique. His quests range from friendly “contests” with other squadrons (particularly the 287th and Captain Wilkinson “Wilks”) over the number of enemy crafts brought down and the distance they entered beyond the lines, to coordinated action when needed, a run-in with a bull, a turkey “hunt” for Christmas, and even suspected spy activity. The s ...more
Deirdre
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The surface of this is the derring do of the adventurous World War I pilot, but underneath this is an acknowledgement that many of the pilots ate breakfast together and then didn't ever see each other again. Captain W. E. Johns is writing about stuff he knows about, he served in World War I as a pilot and knew the stories, probably just vaguely fictionalised the stories and they're here as a snapshot of a time and a place.

These are short stories, some a chapter long, others a few chapters lookin
Olivia
{4.5 stars}

They just get better and better. A few pages in, I knew I would once again immensely enjoy a Biggles book. I was reading this at night and at the end of the chapter where the French pilot sits down and sobs because he ruined his plane, I couldn't stop laughing. My younger brother gave me a look, sending me into more giggles. So there's one of the main reasons I liked this one even better. There were four specific stories in it that had me laughing out loud (that is rare :))

One time Bi
Alan Wightman
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it

Fairly entertaining, and unexpectedly wry, stories about the adventures of fighter pilot Captain Bigglesworth, his squadron, and neighbouring squadrons, fighting in France in the First World War.

There is danger and death, but this is not gritty social realism. There is no mud-caked trench warfare here. The pilots of all officers, and enjoy comfortable beds, a mess, a batman, tea, meals, a gramophone, a billiards room. Pilots improvise tactics and schedules, watched on by avuncular approving sup
Simon
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Collection of ww1 aviation short stories about Captain Bigglesworth. Quick easy read for a child or given that each story is 2 chapters, one could read them for bedtime stories, leaving each night with a new cliffhanger. Amazingly, not a single grammatical or spelling error that seems to get by modern editors. One or two quite amusing stories and the rest were sort of middle-of-the-road. Could be a good entry point for kids to get into aviation fiction.
Joe Halder
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Biggles books, an acquired taste most definately.
Donnacha
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, it brought me back to my childhood. Great stories.
Cameron
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of WW1 stories, with most stretching over 2 or more chapters.
David Tendo
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
A burst of bullets struck Biggles' machine somewhere just behind him, and he jerked the control-stick back into his stomach. A Hun shot past his wing-tip, so close that Biggles flinched.'That's too close!' he muttered. 'Where the dickens are the S. E.'s?'Biggles battles through the First World War, honing his flying skills in terrifying battles against the finest fighters the enemy can supply. But he finds war provides more light-hearted adventures as well, and this collection of stories from ea ...more
Daniel Bratell
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
A collection of short stories that all have been published in other Biggles books. I can't remember if it is one of the first books or if it is in Biggles of 266 but if you have read those books then nothing here is new.

Well, a few stories are changed/edited a bit but I don't know if that is because of the edition or because of the books. When republished in the 70s(?) the editor did a lot of change and I read that version.
Rob
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-work
Well, this book is incredibly easy to read. I think it was written as a series of very short stories, and the structure of the book does come across like that, there is no overriding story to the whole book, and sometimes threads are just cut and never mentioned again. But great fun and easy to read.
Thomas Becker
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Great War aviation books I've read in a long while. Right up there with "Sagittarius Rising"
Daniel
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was very nice, especially because it gives you an idea of how life was like in the war at a sqaudron.
Cocaine
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another book from my childhood days. One of the comforts I had during my times in hospital. Fantastic!
Morgan West
Brett
rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• A Dance with Dragons: Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5, Part 1 of 2)
  • You're Something Special, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #33)
  • Left Foot Forward: A Year in the Life of a Journeyman Footballer
  • The Ginger Star (The Book of Skaith, #1)
  • Farmer Giles of Ham
  • Penguin Lost
  • The Hounds of Skaith (The Book of Skaith, #2)
  • The Reavers of Skaith  (The Book of Skaith, #3)
  • Death and the Penguin
  • The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzmán
  • Hey, Peanuts! (Peanuts Coronet, #17)
  • Birds Without Wings
  • Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes (Peter Nimble, #1)
  • It's All Yours, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #45)
  • You're a Brave Man, Charlie Brown (Peanuts Coronet, #18)
  • Here Comes Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #6)
  • They're Playing Your Song, Charlie Brown (Peanuts Coronet, #53)
  • Take It Easy, Charlie Brown (Peanuts Coronet, #35)
Invariably known as Captain W.E. Johns, William Earl Johns was born in Bengeo, Hertfordshire, England. He was the son of Richard Eastman Johns, a tailor, and Elizabeth Johns (née Earl), the daughter of a master butcher. He had a younger brother, Russell Ernest Johns, who was born on 24 October 1895.

He went to Hertford Grammar School where he was no great scholar but he did develop into a crack sh

Biggles (1 - 10 of 126 books)
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming