Start by marking “Yokuştaki Salyangoz” as Want to Read:
Yokuştaki Salyangoz

Yokuştaki Salyangoz

Yokuştaki Salyangoz, biri cehaletin diğeri bürokrasinin hüküm sürdüğü bir dünyada insanca bir yaşamın ve bilginin hasretini çeken iki entelektüelin öyküsü. İki kahraman roman boyunca hiç karşılaşmazlar; ama Kandid’i bitmeyen arayışının başına, Pepper’i ise iktidar koltuğuna getiren yazgıları aynı tutku tarafından belirlenir: Karanlık ve gizemli orman. Kahramanların seçimle ...more
Published July 2000 by İletişim Yayınları (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Yokuştaki Salyangoz, please sign up.
Lapsus Linguae Sci-fi doesn't generally expose realities, critical realism does. The Institute partly exposes the Soviet realities with its bureaucracy and…moreSci-fi doesn't generally expose realities, critical realism does. The Institute partly exposes the Soviet realities with its bureaucracy and hypocrisy. If you need the real expose of Soviet realities, read Dovlatov.(less)

Start your review of Yokuştaki Salyangoz
Evgeny
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Review updated on August 5, 2019.

This is the book that cemented Strugatsky brothers status as classics of world science fiction and also the status of the best Soviet science fiction writers in Russian language. It is also the book that brought lots of troubles to its authors from the Soviet powers: Soviet bureaucrats understood their satirical description and it really hurt them. It was aimed to.
Alex
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In wilderness of vast unconquered wood, where nature still prevails
Out of reach, and not controlled by techno style civilization
Lies land with strange, mysterious society of powerful females
Who do not need the help of men and use Parthenogenesis for sexless procreation

1. Memorable 5
9. Sparks
Wombat
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Eh... I don't know what to really say about this one.
I get that it's trying to make an analogy of insane bureaucracy in soviet Russia, but I just don't find the story or writing that compelling.

The two main characters, Pepper and Kandid, are on the two sides of this eternal struggle - one in the insanely bureaucratic Forest Directorate which seems to have something to do with the nearby alien forest (clearing, studying, destroying, keeping guard of, invading, all of the above?)
overmindless
After finishing the book it becomes clear why authors considered this story their most perfect and accomplished on. The story is literally pierced with allegories and referenced to the various topics: those are Soviet Union and its bureaucracy, ecology, living against the nature, human will etc.
I believe, and it is pity, that some of the ideas and references were omitted by me due to the lack of clarification and maybe lack of some life experience, the book after all was written in 1968.
D
Jakub Věžník
So was this allegory for communism and idiotic bureaucracy? Perhaps. The first half reminds me of absurd drama (I don't like absurd drama). And even though the criticism is still on point in many countries (doing paperwork for the sake of doing paperwork) that doesn't make it a good story. There are some interesting passages, but the stuff in between them is a slog to get through. The whole premise of the book is sort of boring if you think about it. One of the heroes wants to just leave the sta ...more
Mark Vayngrib
I love the Strugatsky brothers. They have a way with words, a way with characters, and their stories are never remakes of the Marvel universe. They're just brilliant all over (yes, their butts too). But this particular nut was just a little too hard for this particular skull, at this particular meeting of skull and nut. No. I'm misunderstanding myself. It's rather that the squirrel of motivation is already too sated to spend its twilight years honing the sledgehammer of hunger into the nano prob ...more
Corto Maltese
I shelved this one as "science-fiction" for no other reason than that I intend to do so with all books of the Strugatzky-bros. Only it reads more like a Kafka-Novel. A bit lengthy too. I must confess I was a little bit proud of having made it through the whole story (many years ago)fter finishing - hence only 3 stars.
David Merrill
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review will be a bit fun. I wrote it for a Soviet Russia history class in August 1983. I'm happy to say my writing has improved a great deal since then. I transposed it to my laptop computer from the original manual typewritten pages. There were a lot of errors in it, but I've left it mostly uncorrected. There are spoilers, so you may want to skip it. Join me and step into my time machine...

The Snail on the Slope is the best novel I have read in years, possibly ever. I didn’t co
Veronika D
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a forest - an immense, unexplored, unconquered biome that an organization called the Directorate is attempting to penetrate, research, guard, and eradicate simultaneously. The story alternates between the viewpoints of two characters: Pepper, who is obsessed with entering the forest, and Kandid, who is trying to get out of it.

The Directorate is a dystopian organization that gets darker and more surreal as Pepper becomes more and more tangled in its bureaucracy, b
Silvia
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read many books by the Strugatsky brothers, so it was a bit difficult for me to kickstart this one. But once all disbelief was suspended, what I found was a clever, profound and interesting view on the world, on people and progress, on society and on different ways to interact with it. It is, for me, a very actual book and a true jewel everyone needs to read. Give it a shot, even though the first pages are a bit tough for you.
Komrade
Serbocroatian readers: Stay away from the Kentaur-published edition! Half the book is missing, which I have realized only after I have completed the book.
Anthony
While much of this book is brilliant overall it is either confusing or confused and it is hard to tell which. The story revolves around an alien, fecund jungle, teeming with life, a sort of microcosm of evolution sped-up.

Half of the book is about a Kafka-esque bureaucracy, an administration that is portrayed as being so silly and clownish it is not very believable. The half of the story that takes place in the forest is much more moving, but remains baffling. It is never a good sign when the au
Doug Lewars
*** Possible Spoilers ***

This gets 5 stars because it's well written, not because I liked it. I didn't like the ending at all, largely because there isn't one. The book is absurdist fiction somewhat along the lines of Franz Kafka. At the end is an afterward which provides some explanation or at least context for the novel. I have to question whether the need to explain what the reader has just finished is the mark of a good novel but at least it sheds some light on the subject.

In th
Claudio Arato
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Fantastic. Grotesque”. I would add hopeful and closeted. Samuel Beckett meets an drug induced Hunter Thompson allegorical fever and Voltaire’s optimism and yet without clear life is for the best thoughts. of course, this is a Soviet era book and words and thoughts need my be grotesque caricatures to get to print and thought.

A present without grounding. Metaphors without basis because how better to predict the Future than to write something wholly outside of it?

And yet this is also
Lavreniuk Sergey
Personally I enjoyed book a lot. Despite really hard understanding of what's going on in the beginning, after you've managed to get through some part of it, you start caring more about the form of storytelling and about some really philosophical thoughts instead of trying to put together the bigger picture. That is something new to me, however till the end of book I felt like I got more than gave. A lot of parts of book went to quotes and notes, there was just so much truth in them!
I don't thin
Joe Crowe
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an English translation of a classic by Russian sci-fi writers Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

Now I need to read more of their stuff, because this one is brilliant. The writers were raised in the Soviet Union, and the story is a serious, thorough critique of that era, hidden cleverly in science fiction metaphor.

It's about the Administration, an overwhelming bureaucracy, and one poor dude who longs to escape it into The Forest. It's thoughtful, and leaves the reader with good stuff to chew
Joe Crowe
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Lu
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two main characters with weird names, Perets and Candid, are fascinated by the Forest. The Forest is drawing them like a magnet, they are desperately trying to reach it and reveal it's secrets.

What makes their desire for change so strong? Maybe their failed attempts to find common sense in people around them and willingness to see life from another angle.

The plot partly reminds "The Castle" by Franz Kafka: as well as K., Perets faces bureaucracy and absurdity all around, which he at
Kate Sherrod
I think I need to read this one again sometime when B. Calling's series isn't so fresh in my mind. The superficial similarities between that and this has me constantly trying to superimpose the Vorrh onto this Forest, which totally didn't work. My rating will likely increase...
Amir
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can't read the whole book waiting for a crazy dream to end
Илья Таскаев
Kaffka and Burroughs meets sci-fi...
Djordje
My rating: ★★★
Ktbird
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know this book has inspired decades of sci-fi but it was too out there for me.
Iryna Tymchenko
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome, deep, thoughtful, intellectual book. I would recommend it to everyone, because it can answer dozens of questions, which we usually keep asking ourselves all life long.
Maisays
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Strugatsky book. I read it two times and would love to read again.
Discord
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the most excellent, yet under the carpet Strugatsky stories, the one that deserves far greater attention. Kafkaesque feel all the way while intensely entertaining.
Vladimir
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in the year 2525...
in the year 3535...
Hologram Dystopia
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read more at Fragments-of-a-hologram-dystopia.tumblr.com

Vote: 7,5
The story is divided in two narrative threads, and both are connected to the Forest, a mysterious and alien place with strange creatures, even stranger plants and weird inhabitants.
One follows the actions of Pepper, a linguist who asked the permission to work at the Directorate, the kafkian bureocratic organization who deals with the Forest. Pepper would like to visit the Forest, but he’s denied permission every time, and
Andrew
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absurd sci-fi novel from Russia filled with allegories about the bureaucracy of the Soviet Union. The authors obviously had many disagreements with their society at the time and I suppose spoke out in this way against their government. And this is the point they were making with this novel, to not live in blissful denial or ignorance of where you reside.

The novel follows two protagonists and we jump back and forth between their stories in different chapters.

The story o

• Professor Dowell's Head
  • Buddha's Little Finger
  • The Twelve Chairs
  • Eden
  • The Invincible
  • Return From the Stars
  • Петровы в гриппе и вокруг него
  • The Slynx
  • отдел
  • Gun, With Occasional Music
  • Туманность Андромеды
  • LSD: My Problem Child – Reflections on Sacred Drugs, Mysticism and Science
The brothers Arkady Strugatsky [Russian: Аркадий Стругацкий] and Boris Strugatsky[Russian: Борис Стругацкий] were Soviet-Russian science fiction authors who collaborated through most of their careers.

Arkady Strugatsky was born 25 August 1925 in Batumi; the family later moved to Leningrad. In January 1942, Arkady and his father were evacuated from the Siege of Leningrad, but Arkady was the only survivor in his train ca
“I'm living in a world someone has thought up without bothering to tell me, or maybe even himself.” 4 likes
“Перец се отпусна в голямо старо кресло, изпъна крака и се облегна. Е, какво стоите, каза той на книгите. Безделници! Затова ли са ви писали! Доложете, доложете как върви сеитбата, колко е засято. Колко е засято: разумно, добро, вечно? И как изглежда реколтата? И главното — как са кълновете? Мълчите… Ти там, как си? Да, да, двутомникът, ти! Колко хора са те чели? И колко са те разбрали? Обичам те, старче, ти си добър и честен приятел. Никога не си кряскал, не си се фукал, не си се удрял в гърдите. Добър и честен, И тези, които те четат, също стават добри и честни. Макар временно. Макар само за себе си… Но знаеш ли, има такова мнение, че за да се върви напред, добротата и честността не са задължителни. За тази цел трябват крака. И ботуши. Може даже немити крака и мръсни ботуши… Прогресът може да се окаже напълно безразличен към понятията доброта и честност, както е бил безразличен досега. За правилното функциониране на Управлението например не трябват ни честност, ни доброта. Приятно е, желателно е, но съвсем не е задължително. Като латинския за теляка. Като бицепсите за счетоводителя. Като уважението към жената за Домарошчинер… Но всичко зависи от това, как да се разбира прогресът. Можем да го разбираме като поява на знаменитите „но пък“: алкохолик, но пък отличен специалист; развратник, но пък отличен проповедник; крадец, какво ти, изпечен мошеник, но пък какъв администратор! Убиец, но пък колко дисциплиниран и предан… Прогресът може да се разбира и като превръщане на всички в добри и честни хора. И тогава ще доживеем до времето, когато ще се говори: специалист е, разбира се, знае, но е мръсен тип, трябва да се изхвърли…
Чуйте, книги, а знаете ли, че сте повече от хората? Ако изчезнат всички хора, вие бихте могли да населите земята и ще бъдете точно като човеците. Между вас има добри и честни, мъдри, многознайковци, също лекомислени, празни, скептици, луди, убийци, блудници, деца, унили проповедници, самодоволни глупаци и почти пресипнали гръмогласници с възпалени очи. И нямаше да е ясно за какъв дявол сте! И наистина, за какъв дявол сте вие? Много от вас дават знания, но защо са ни знания в гората? Към гората те нямат никакво отношение! Това е все едно бъдещият строител на слънчеви градове старателно да бъде обучаван по фортификация; тогаз него няма да го тегли изграждането на стадион или санаториум, тогаз от всичко негово ще се получава мрачен редут с ровове, ескарпи и контраескарпи. Това, което вие дадохте на хората, дошли в гората, не са знания, а предразсъдъци… Други от вас насаждат неверие и упадък на духа. И не защото са мрачни или жестоки, или пък предлагат да се изостави надеждата, а просто защото лъжат. Понякога лъжат лъчезарно, с бодри песни и безгрижно подсвиркване, понякога сълзливо, стенейки и оправдавайки се, но — лъжат! Кой знае защо такива книги никога не ги изгарят, никога не ги изземват от библиотеките; не е бивало още в историята на човечеството лъжата да бъде осъдена на клада. Макар дори случайно, без да си се ориентирал, или защото си повярвал. В гората те също са ненужни. Те никъде не са нужни. Сигурно затова са толкова много… Тоест не затова, а защото ги обичат. По-скъп ни е мракът на горчивите истини…”
1 likes