Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist #8)

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  8,401 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Elric lost his arm and his leg, and his brother Alphonse became nothing but a soul in a suit of armor. Equipped with mechanical "auto-mail" limbs, Edward becomes a state alchemist, seeking the one thing that can restore his and his brother's bodies...the legendary Philosopher's Stone.

The raid on the Devil's Nest becomes a slaughte
Published July 18th 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published July 22nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8

Jedi JC Daquis
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't recommend reading volume eight right after the previous one. You have to let the steam off first before reading this. Volume 8 starts a new arc, even expanding the FMA world as Arakawa introduces characters from the east, oriental region of Xing, this of course is implied to be China.

The payoff in the Greed arc was totally awesome, so I also have high hopes for this one.
Caroline
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MAN oh man I'm such trash for this series but I'm kind of running out of things to say about each volume because I'm reading them so quickly. The pacing is really excellent and I'm a big fan of the art style. The characters in general are awesome and I love that there is plot twist after plot twist. It's great!
Becky
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Hawkeye is amazing, and no one is ever going to be a scary as Izumi.
Anna Faltracco
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adoro *.* Letto in una seduta, questo volume ha il giusto mix di azione e comicitá!Le espressioni di Ed e Al nei momenti comici sono inpagabili!Al ora è in grado come il fratello di usare l'alchimia senza l'utilizzo del cerchio, e Ed si sente “minacciato” nel ruolo di fratellone piú saggio. Ho amato la vignetta dove pesa le caratteristiche che li contraddistingue!
Per non parlare di tutte le volte in cui Ed arriva da Winry con il braccio rotto per farglielo nuovamente aggiustare xD Diciamo che Wi
Maria Kaye
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
3.5, kind of slow and boring since Ed's arm is messed up, sigh.
Esma Tezgi
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Fantastik ögeler olur da ölümsüzlük olmaz mı? Özellikle fantastik ögelerin bulunduğu neredeyse her kitap-film gibi şeyde ölümsüzlük mutlaka kendine yer buluyor, daha doğrusu ölümsüzlük hırsıyla yanıp tutuşanlar. bu seride de bu tür kişilerin sayısı giderek artıyor, umarım bu artış böyle devam etmez, seride kendini tekrara sebep olur. Onun dışında güzel bir ciltti, yeni katılan karakterlerin seriye baya renk katacağını düşünüyorum.
Kellie
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely adore this series.
Pinkerton
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Dopo il triste epilogo della banda iniziano a saltar fuori gli altarini. Intanto, tipi strani sono arrivati da Xing…
Rachel
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
First thing: for those of you reading this in email form, follow the link and check out the cover showing Ed practicing his unique form of unarmed combat. I'll wait.

Back? Done giggling/wondering what's wrong with me? Okay, now for the volume eight character review!

There are a lot of people I'd love to cover, and some of them I don't want to mention until later, to save some spoilers for those who haven't yet read any/all of the books (but do intend to do so), so after much deliberation, I've set
Sarah Sammis
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Volume 8 of Fullmetal Alchemist is the first firm step on the road that leads the manga away from the plot developments of the first anime series. It introduces characters and a new way of doing alchemy that weren't shown in the first series but are shown in Brotherhood.

First and foremost there is the kingdom of Xing which is looking for the secret of immortality. Competing half siblings, Prince Ling Yao and Princess May Chan come across the border on separate quests to find a gift that will mak
Bitsy
Definitely a very dark beginning for Volume 8. After the huge plot twist at the end of Volume 7 the rest of the fall out occurs in the start of Volume 8. It’s very dark and very sinister and while some pieces of the puzzle have fallen into place many more questions remain unanswered. I also thought the soldiers at the beginning wondering who wasn’t human (the chimeras and Greed or the alchemists and King Bradley) was very illuminating of where things are in the series right now.

The plot lightens
Miss Clark
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4 stars

Most of the scenes are same as the anime, but are extended or in a slightly different order.

I really liked Riza dealing with Barry and Roy being irritated with Barry.

Mei Chang;s introduction was different (what a sweetheart!) and then ling and his servants? "I no speak this country language!"
Lizet
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english, manga, 2016
Me encanta que haya nuevos personajes, más revelaciones, y su vez más misterio *_*
Y creo que éste es el volumen con el que más me reí hasta ahora XD
Elizabeth Brenner
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am consistently impressed with Arakawa's pacing and use of characters. She really takes advantage of what works better in a graphic format than in prose: the sheer number of characters would be much more difficult to manage in a novel. She adds them and drops them, brings them back after we've forgotten them in the milieu, and uses them to advance the story in interesting ways. In a novel, the writer would be encouraged to reduce the number of characters to avoid confusion and reader fatigue, ...more
Leonel García
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Lo único imposible es lo imposible". Y en verdad, parece que es así. La historia de los hermanos Elric va profundizándose, mientras se van mostrando vestigios de una trama aún más oscura de lo que parecía.
Se cierra el arco argumental del Greed (Codicia), de forma genial, con gran dosis de acción, presentando un giro que no se espera, la presentación de alguien que parece mover los hilos: El Padre.
Mientras, los hermanos Elric se enfrentan a un grupo de personas que vienen de otro país y que al
FreeFD
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, fantasy
Why is Lust described as hot? Envy is better though. I ship Winry and Ed, Baniyah and Al. Aren't they awesome together?
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.0 Stars
Gabriela Paige
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I was not expecting that. This is bad, very very bad. And what is the agenda of these newcomers?
Feather Mista
Feb 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi todo el mundo.
Recommended to Feather by: Lo que vino antes
Primer y esperemos que único tomo de la serie en bajar a tres estrellitas. ¿Tanto empeora de golpe que la calidad baja un 20% de golpe? No, si en vez de una medida de cinco estrellitas se usara una de diez, seguro le habría bajado un solo punto. Y no porque la historia vaya empeorando ni nada por el estilo, sino porque llega un punto en el que me parece que la autora empezó a dudar qué hacer con los personajes principales y no se le ocurrió otra que correr para adelante y sacar de la galera otro ...more
Janeen-san
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This one's great, as usual! After the slaughter at the Devil's Nest Ed is wounded ans his arm broken. The boys return to Rush Valley, where Whinry was last seen becoming an apprentice to a highly-skilled auto-mail guy (I forget his name!!! Urg!). And, because Al recovered his memory of 'that thing' he can suddenly use alchemy WITHOUT a transmutation circle! THAT they skipped in the show! IT WAS HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! There was this scale with Ed's good stuff like strength and 'Alchemy skill' and t ...more
নাজমুল হাসান
This time we get to see the "Father" of the Homunculus group. More mystery shrouds over their origin and objective. The only thing that is clear that everybody is after Immortality from Philosopher's Stone. It seems to be the new buzz to become immortal. We also get introduced to a whole bunch of new characters from a different country named Xhing. The image Mei has of Ed in her mind and her motivation to meet him, made me laugh out loud. Actually there were quite a lot of laugh out loud moment ...more
Max
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People
Shelves: advisory
Carlos
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
this series, the "fullmetal alchemist series" has got to be one of the best mangas that i have ever read. it has tons of graphic action and it really takes you into a whole new world. before this novel, in the seventh novel, where we left ed, he was facing off against greed, a homonculus, he had almost won, when Greed up and left. this is where we start off the next book. the fuhrer himself tracks down greed and they get into a huge battle. all of Greds allies are killed. ed and all make a new f ...more
earthy
Apr 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: action, fantasy, ya, manga
Lin, Lanfan, and May show up, and while they're all great characters in their own right, their subplot about the inheritance of the Xing empire feels like a little too much, given how much plot we've already got going. And speaking of that other plot, Al remembers what really happened to him when Ed tried to save his life all those years ago, and consequently, now both Elric brothers can do alchemy without needing to draw a transmutation circle (read: they are both extremely badass now). Also, R ...more
Courtney (Storybook Slayers)
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

Action-packed, thickening plot, three-dimensional characters, and humor drizzled on each character, Fullmetal Alchemist is a book that should definitely be read by all. Left me with tears in my eyes and a warm heart for every character that you meet along Ed and Al's long journey.
Kim
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This one felt a little all over the place. And I'm not sure about the addition of the people from the "East". At first, I thought I'd finally reached where the anime hadn't, but then realized that I just didn't really remember that part. Bummer. But there is a lot that I was either unaware of or didn't remember, so at least it felt fresh. Less funny, but fresh.
Alejandro Camacho
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I give it a good 4 star because it is a good anime for anyone who likes this kind of anime. They will love this type of books so I hope yall know that this book is the best and it will blow your mind away if you are a fan of it. I recommend this book to anybody that will like books about alchemy and science.
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
More fun, the plot thickens, new characters and things tying up together here and there. I was under the impression that this happens later in the series, but then it might be that the first time around I got really interested in the story at about this time and devoured the rest.
Jeffrey
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I had been concerned about the pacing of events after reading much of what came later in the anime happen more quickly in the manga version.

However, the broadening of the scope provides for some intriguing possibilities. Another good addition to the series.
Celine
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love where the story is going. It's getting more complex with every volume, and I like how we're learning more about Führer King Bradley. The art style has been improving a lot lately, and I like how we're seeing the characters age, without them losing their charm.
  • Bleach, Volume 11
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 26
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 12
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 8 (D.Gray-man, #8)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and du
More about Hiromu Arakawa

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
  • After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Clay's Ark (The Patternist Series)
  • The Iron Dragon's Daughter
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Broken Sword
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mind of My Mind (The Patternist Series)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater