Start by marking “The Trouble With Jenny's Ear” as Want to Read:
The Trouble With Jenny's Ear

The Trouble With Jenny's Ear

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
By the author of The Enormous Egg, "another hilarious tale tells of two boys' explosive initiation into the electronic age--and of the sudden manifestation of extrasensory perception in their younger sister."--Horn Book. Black-and-white illustrations.
Published September 13th 1993 by Little Brown & Co. (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble With Jenny's Ear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble With Jenny's Ear

Michael Fitzgerald
Although it is lengthy, this is an easy engaging read that brings in several ideas of the time, including electronics and television quiz shows. It is interesting to consider how technology has changed in the intervening decades. As with The Enormous Egg, we eventually get federal involvement on a grand scale.
Melody
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People with sarcastic fathers
Recommended to Melody by: Wendy Burton
Above all else, this book is hilarious. Every page has some pithy line that made me snort or giggle. I especially adore Mr. Pearson, who gives us gems like this (the context is the kids needing to come up with 50K):

"Why, that's splendid," Mr. Pearson said. "Now we have ten dollars, a dictionary and a giant-size package of cookies. We're really making progress toward that fifty thousand, and we have two whole months to go. I don't see how we can miss."

Beyond the sardonic hilarity, it's also a fas
Katie Fitzgerald
Jenny's older brothers are very interested in telecommunications. Their uncle, who shares their fascination, regularly brings them radios, speakers, microphones, television screens, and other equipment so that they can experiment with new technology and maybe even come up with ways to make their lives easier. As her brothers find ways to revolutionize everything from schoolwork to waking the household up in the morning, Jenny finds that she has developed an even more efficient way to receive mes ...more
Lisa Vegan
May 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls 7-12 & others
I read and have the 1960 hardback tenth printing edition. I adored this book as a kid. I was intrigued by the idea of a little girl having the power of being able to hear others’ thoughts and how she’s able to use that ability to “know” so much beyond her years on a quiz show. Won’t give more than that away, but it’s great fun.
Pamelabyoung
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-fiction
One of my favorite books I checked out of the elementary school library, this book kind of disappeared off all my radar screens over the years. As far as I can tell it is no longer in print. Amazon normally has it in used books. Oliver Butterworth also wrote The Enormous Egg, another really good chapter book.

I haven't seen this book in at least 45 years, but as I remember, Jenny's brothers were doing some kind of electronic experiments and it had an incredible effect on Jenny's ear. Jenny was c
Wendy
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book that is equally good as a period piece and as a timeless kids' story. Raises questions about the role of technology in our lives; also touches on the game show scandals of the 1950s, development of rural areas, and what it's like to be a child prodigy. The spelling bee scene is priceless.
CLM
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book I found in my elementary school library! I think this book reflects the adult world's fascination with game shows in the 60s but what makes this book fun for readers is the eager way Jenny's brothers try to use her newfound skill to make money while she becomes more and more perturbed by her uncanny ability to read people's thoughts.
Julie P
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Written in a simple, folksy way reminiscent of _Homer Price_ novels, this is a nice tale about a young girl who surprisingly gains the ability to read people's thoughts. Her older brothers are electronic wizards, and soon become her managers as they attempt to earn money for some land through the use of their sister's gift. Don't let a contemporary attitude about this type of avarice scare you away; written in the 50's, Butterworth's story features parents, siblings, and neighbors who care about ...more
Kelly
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I read when I was very young and remember reading tonight. I am going to buy for my boys! I remember being so young and sneaking under my covers with a flash light to read it and straining my eye so badly that I needed to wear a patch for a week! I just could not get enough of this book. So happy I can order!
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This year I'm going to include kids' chapter books in my yearly tally. Especially since I just finished reading this aloud to my own kids and it took many hours. I'm so thrilled that they loved this as much as I did when I was a kid. Just as delightful as I remembered.
Butterworth was born in Hartford, Connecticut and spent much of his life as a teacher, teaching at Kent School in Kent, Connecticut from 1937 to 1947 and Junior School in West Hartford, Connecticut from 1947 to 1949. Additionally, beginning in 1947, he taught English at Hartford College for Women in Hartford, Connecticut until the late 1980s.

Butterworth was an author of many children's books, most
More about Oliver Butterworth...