Start by marking “Black Ambrosia” as Want to Read:
Black Ambrosia

Black Ambrosia

(Gran Super Terror)

Angelina offers you eternal peace--at the cost of your soul!
Mass Market Paperback, 341 pages
Published March 1988 by Tor (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Black Ambrosia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Ambrosia

Start your review of Black Ambrosia
Grady Hendrix
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Engstrom Black Ambrosia is the book where a comparison with Anne Rice becomes almost unbearable because it’s about *gag* vampires. Engstrom writes like an Anne Rice who is actually interested in real people. Deeply rooted in the details of hardscrabble lives, her language is heady and romantic, occasionally dissolving into a dreamlike haze, but she never loses sight of, or interest in, the fact that even inhuman, bloodthirsty vampires need to eat, sleep, and poop. Unlike Rice, who’s ...more
Char
BLACK AMBROSIA is exactly what I hoped it would be, plus some.

Here's the synopsis:

"Angelina is a killer. You'd never know it to look at her--until you look into her eyes. Angelina doesn't kill out of hatred or fear--she kills out of love, bringing solace to her victims, guided by the seductive Voice that speaks only to her. Angelina offers you eternal peace--at the cost of your soul!"

Quiet horror is more to my liking these days, and this book fits the bill. Don't get me wrong, violent and gory
Valancourt Books

Website | Amazon US | Amazon UK
Josh
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, own, read_2019
A different kind of vampire novel which substitutes outright blood and gore for implied and subtle horror; leaving the acts of violence to the readers imagination and ultimately making the book more scarier.

The gentle slant towards horror at the beginning of the book holds the remainder in good stead as Angelina, the unassuming vampire slowly builds and comes to accept her lust for blood. The transformation from a helpless child to hardened killer is executed perfectly with the end result
Alex (Hey Little Thrifter)
This is a unique vampire story that manages to combine the ethereal and sensual notion of a vampire with the cold and violent one. Angelina is a fascinating character and we follow her on her travels as she claims her victims, and also falls victim herself to certain people and situations.

The story is told in the first person from Angelina's perspective. Each chapter ends with an excerpt from another character as though they are being interviewed. This works really well to give other
Scott
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Angelina Watson leaves home at the age of fifteen, following the death of her mother. Once on the road she begins to exhibit vampirish behavior. She sleeps all day. She drinks blood, though she believes she is bestowing on her victims a gift out of love. She begins to hear a voice that urges her on. What makes all of this interesting is the ambiguity. She was never bitten. There was nothing that "turned" her. She can't change into anything and she is not fussed by religious icons. And while she ...more
David
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I loved this so much. Review to come.
Liza
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This vampire novel is very creatively written with interestingly structured chapters. The first person narrator / protagonist is introspective and self–reflective, which adds a depth to the action and makes it more interesting than if the story were written in third person. The italacized portions at the end of each chapter present the point of view and opinion on the protagonist of the other characters in the story. These brief interview-like excerpts add another layer to the tale. However, as ...more
Olethros
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
-Dentro del vampirismo, más sentimientos.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Angelina Watson es una joven que desde muy pronto vivió su vida a solas tratando de manejar y comprender ciertos impulsos que superan su control, pero normalmente deja que las cosas ocurran. La duda está en si esos impulsos son algún tipo de desorden o si son algo más.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Lydian Faust
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an unusual vampire tale. I can agree with some comparison to the style of Anne Rice. I enjoyed the snippets of interview sprinkled throughout the story, as it presented several perhaps unreliable perspectives. I couldn't get a handle on the personality of Angelina- the characterization was inconsistent, making it hard to me to take an interest in her or her nefarious deeds.
Nate
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another knockout from Elizabeth Engstrom. Thought I had a handle on this until the last quarter. Angelina at that point is unbearably horrific and worth every page. Love this book.
Thomas
After reading When Darkness Loves Us, I had high hopes for this book, and man, was I let down. The book isn't bad, but it's not nearly as interesting or as engaging as I had expected after reading those two novellas. Part of the problem could have been me not understanding how Engstrom used vampirism in the book (I saved the introduction until I finished the book this time around, since I felt like they spoiled parts of the story in the previous reprints), but even once I understood what she was ...more
Briar Ripley
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly a unique spin on the vampire tale; I loved it! Angelina, the protagonist, is both an intensely sympathetic character even as her behavior moves further and further into the realms of grotesque, sadistic depravity, and one of the *least* romanticized vampire main characters I've ever encountered in fiction.
She begins the book as a teenage runaway who seems more like a compulsive serial killer than anything supernatural, and whose urge to drink human blood functions a lot like a drug or
Almaric
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1988-horror
Valancourt Books: Paperbacks From Hell series 2, book 1

A first person diary about the development of a teenage vampire named Angelica. She’s a runaway-of-sorts traveling the road alone, existing on the outskirts of society. Although settling down on occasion, she eventually has to move along as she continues to develop physically and emotionally into a child of the night. Interestingly, every chapter ends with the viewpoint of another person that has interacted with Angelica and survived (mostly
Bill Riggs
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1988 Engstrom presents a unique take on the vampire story. Told in the first person the reader is taken along for a terrifying ride as Angelina slowly spirals down in to darkness. Is she slowly turning into a blood sucking monster or is she descending into madness - trapped in her own mind?
The chapters are written like journal entries with each chapter ending with a recap told from one of the characters point of view. A suspenseful, thrilling and horrifying tale of modern
Tammy
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story. It’s very dark, but unexpectedly original and emotionally rich. The intro by Grady Hendrix had me expecting something quite different than what I got - I wonder if we would fundamentally disagree on what is really happening in these pages.
Anne
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Jendi
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A creative spin on the vampire genre, very well written, but goes on for too long without enough variety or tension. I felt the supernatural elements (mind-control music, telepathic link between vampire and hunter) detracted from the originality of depicting vampirism as a psychological delusion or addiction.
Dustin Reade
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a slow beginning, the book picks up around the 100 page mark and really grabs you from there. Engstrom really puts you in the character's head and that is a disturbing place to be.

However, the ending did not work for me, At. ALL.
Dana Stewart
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just what you’d expect. Which is great.
Adrienne
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Angelina Watson wasn’t bitten by a vampire.

She didn’t wake up to find a bat hanging in the shadowed corner of her room. She didn’t wander through a cemetery at night or succumb to the hypnotic song of an undead siren. And yet, after reading Elizabeth Engstrom’s Black Ambrosia (available from Valancourt Books), I’m still fairly certain that she wasn’t born a vampire, but became a vampire.

After the death of her mother, fifteen-year-old Angelina sets out on her own to explore the world and find
David Edmonds
Perverse, depraved, and beautiful.
Walter
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s Agnes Varda’s Vagabond bitten by Katheryn Bigelow’s Near Dark. It’s a bit too depressing to pass as pulp escapism and yet too silly to be anything else.
Jason Bergman
A fun little take on the vampire story. Not perfect, but definitely original. Recommended if you're looking for something a little different
Marsten
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
Me gustó bastante.
Recuerdo que era de los primeros libros de vampiros que me leía tratos desde una faceta más psicológica y esto me gustó mucho.
Rodrigo Tello

• The Rats (Rats, #1)
  • A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror
  • Full Throttle
  • Paperbacks From Hell: The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction
Elizabeth (Liz) Engstrom grew up in Park Ridge, Illinois (a Chicago suburb where she lived with her father) and Kaysville, Utah (north of Salt Lake City, where she lived with her mother). After graduating from high school in Illinois, she ventured west in a serious search for acceptable weather, eventually settling in Honolulu. She attended college and worked as an advertising copywriter.

After

Gran Super Terror (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • The Dodd, Mead Gallery of Horror
  • Horror 2: Los relatos de Twilight Zone
  • Roadwork
  • The Ceremonies
  • Rage
  • Sangre
  • Phantoms
  • Best New Horror 3 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #3)
  • Cutting Edge