Start by marking “Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation” as Want to Read:

(Martin Fowler Signature Book)

Winner of the 2011 Jolt Excellence Award!

Getting software released to users is often a painful, risky, and time-consuming process. This groundbreaking new book sets out the principles and technical practices that enable rapid, incremental delivery of high quality, valuable new functionality to users. Through automation of the build, deployment, and testing process, and imp
Published August 5th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published July 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Continuous Delivery, please sign up.
Ravi This book is language independent. It talks about principles and practices that can help you shorten the cycle of putting code from development into…moreThis book is language independent. It talks about principles and practices that can help you shorten the cycle of putting code from development into production. As long as that's your objective, it does not matter which language you are using.(less)

Yevgeniy Brikman
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a bit torn on this book: on the one hand, it is a very thorough look at a number of important, but often overlooked topics; on the other hand, the book is not a very effective teacher of this important material. The biggest problem is the lack of real world examples. Chapters are mostly huge blocks of advice: the advice is good, but not memorable or actionable in the way it is presented. There need to be far more examples of real world systems with both good approaches and bad approaches dis ...more
André Gomes
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book about Deployment I've read so far.

Filled with lots of good advice for improvement and automation of a deployment process.

I loved the concepts about deployments with no downtime and also found their maturity model a good guideline for improvement.

I definitely recommend the reading for software development folks.
Michael Koltsov
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is considered a cornerstone of the DevOps movement. In my opinion, it might be that in the very beginning, but currently most of the concepts that it presents are obvious and outdated.

I will recommend it to be read to someone who's new in the DevOps community, but if you've got a few years of experience in the area under your belt I would not.

It's nice to have all good concepts under one cover, but reading a 400-pages long book that will tell you the history of GIT and SVN is pointless
Eduards Sizovs
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. 10/10.
Сергей
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
В книге описана методика построения конвейера по доставке изменений от разработчиков к клиенту. Сейчас об этом говорят как о DevOps, небольшой исторический экскурс. Термин DevOps начал активно пиарится с 2009, а книга вышла в 2010. В книге используется термин CI/CD как предтеча DevOps.
Стоит ли ее читать спустя 7 лет после выхода?
Да - если вы занимаетесь процессами, в книге детально описаны именно процессы: процессы доставки изменений, процессы контроля над изменениями, процессы управления зависи
Lyubomir Galabov
Great Knowledge Through Experience

I can’t put enough stress on how valuable this book is! Whether you are a developer, operations or manager, you will find essential knowledge to improve your work an expand your comfortable zone. I personally found some ever-missing pieces of the puzzle that baffled me on past projects and now I can easily give competent answers to what went wrong and how we could have improved. The vast experience of the authors, seen as advices and examples throughout the book
Serge Boucher
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Indispensable.
Chris Wood
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Technologists operate in a fast-moving environment. Languages rise and fall. Application strategies constantly shift across new hardware. Presentation layers move between thick and thin client across desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone architectures. For that reason, technology writers produce materials that have a relatively short shelf life.

Every now and then, books are published which make a lasting contribution to the field of computer science and software delivery (i.e. Knuth's Art of Comput
Mark Seemann
Oct 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: software
Some years ago, I had the fortune to attend Jes Humble's workshop on continuous delivery. It was a good workshop, well delivered, and I learned a lot.

I was, therefore, surprised that it turned out to be such a struggle to read this book. It's not that I disagree with the contents, but it's so boring!

Each page is mostly a wall of text, with no diagrams, sidebars, illustrations, or even bulleted lists. Even when there's an occasional diagram, it seems strangely unhelpful. While it could be that th
Harlen
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The book successfully teaches the reader about continuous delivery, the process and its benefits. Where this book stumbles is with the amount of repetition and lack of real-world examples.

Overall it's a good reference for the individual aspects that create a continuous delivery system; however, I wouldn't recommend reading it from cover to cover.
Sergey Shishkin
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very good overview of the topic. Although given it's 500 pages thick, the book could be more specific about dealing with credentials in production environments and data migrations. The companion website is another missed oportunity. Still 4 stars for the lack of a better alternative.
Jan Van Ryswyck
Nov 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
There's much wisdom in this book, but it's buried in boring writing.
Sergio Inclan
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, clean and to the point.
Dun Yang
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a hard read for me. I started reading the book when I never had any real world experience with Continuous Integration and hands-on experience with deployment pipelines/ infrastructure tools. Initially, the concepts made sense but I found it hard to apply them without project experience.

I stopped at around chapter 9 and after having around 6 months of experience on a project that uses deployment pipelines and tools (e.g. Ansible/ CI server) to enable automated deployment into different
Vlad Romanenko
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting to see the book hasn't lost any relevance despite being written in 2010. This is definitely not an easy ready but rather a fundamental work on the subject. It's kind of like bible on continuous delivery that I'm sure I'll be referring back to as certain aspects of it become important in my work. I like how the book repeats over and over its core idea of having automated pipeline that makes feedback to developers faster and shorten the delivery cycle of working software. It covers wid ...more
Dan Kalbasi
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: geek
It's a great book to take a perfect grasp of software release strategies. I would recommend this book for both experienced software engineers or the engineers who just started. If you are in big software teams, you most probably do most of the guidelines in the book, but still, the book provides a good perspective of the issues and possibly a complete checklist when you face the situation!

I noticed lots of people complaining about the repetitiveness of the book. I do agree with part of it. Howe
Holger Matthies
Eye opening. Everybody in IT should read this book, be he programmer, tester or operations specialist.

Some parts might not surprise you all that much, but are great to revisit - even old hands might learn a thing or two from the refreshing mix of theory and practice, and the very relevant real life examples. Some parts were completely new to me and touched areas I had previously little knowledge of. I feel thoroughly updated.

It is a long read, with some chapters written better than others, but r
Fernando
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
É um livro importante para ler se trabalha com TI e pretende acelerar o desenvolvimento de produtos e serviços. Alguns exemplos estão datados mas a maioria do que está escrito é muito útil, são vários exemplos de situações, processos e métodos que mostram como não existe um caminho único para acelerar a entrega de funcionalidades de produtos e serviços.

Gonzalo Fernández-Victorio
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: it, 2017
This is THE classic for continuous delivery. Worth reading. But it was written 10 years ago and sometimes that's obvious.
Almost no mention to the cloud.
A bit more to the DVCS. Focus on mainline development which I think it has value today but it needs a different explanation from 10 years ago.

But the principles are there. So read it.
Ilyes Hachani
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Half way through. The content is good but as the Authors stated there is a lot of repetition ( trade off to make chpaters standalone). The book lacks real world examples but I found it easy to get started once you know what you are looking for.
Cuong Nguyen michael
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chủ yếu là principles và practices để làm Continous Develivery. Ví dụ thực tế ít. Nói chung để nắm overall thì okay chứ làm sao để implement được và customize cho phù hợp với dự án thì là một câu chuyện khác.
Giorgi Bakradze
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The most boring book I've ever read, to sum it up in one sentence it would be: "automate everything, as much as possible". Same thing is rehearsed throughout the book. It is nice for overall understanding of CD, but nothing practical or immediately actionable. It would be a good decoration though.
Amit Tiwari
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great guideline for Journey of continuous delivery

This book is one of the best book on practice of continuous delivery. Books described some of the best guid line for continuous integration and continuous delivery.
Dariusz
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informatyka, owned
Bida straszna. Jeszcze nigdy nie musiałem czytać tak wielu zbędnych liter, żeby dokopać się do jakiś wartościowych przemyśleń (które, na szczęście, się trafiły). Powtórki, powtórki i powtórki powtórek. Jakby autor zakładał, że czytelnik nie posiada pamięci i trzeba mu rozdział po rozdziale wtłaczać do głowy te same banały.
Kev
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good primer to CD
Mac
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of good material in here (and parts of it are dated being 8 years later). Bit of dry in the writing but worth the read.
Ozgur Deniz
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The definite guide for devops
Matthew Humberstone
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not much narrative tension
Leo Maslovs
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read 5/5. I wish I have done it years ago.
DANIEL
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this book after "Continuous Integration". This book has a good explanations about the concepts, but I missed more practical examples about how to implement this way of working.
Developers : Chapter 9 - Testing Non Functional Requirements 1 3 Mar 15, 2016 06:33AM
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Specification by Example
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Web Operations: Keeping the Data on Time
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • The Productive Programmer
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Martin Fowler Signature Book (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Refactoring HTML: Improving the Design of Existing Web Applications
  • Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions
  • Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services
“If it hurts, do it more frequently, and bring the pain forward.” 8 likes
“Indeed, there is a school of thought that any work on a branch is, in the lean sense, waste—inventory that is not being pulled into the finished product.” 2 likes