Start by marking “Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation” as Want to Read:

(Martin Fowler Signature Book)

Winner of the 2011 Jolt Excellence Award!

Getting software released to users is often a painful, risky, and time-consuming process.This groundbreaking new book sets out the principles and technical practices that enable rapid, incremental delivery of high quality, valuable new functionality to users. Through automation of the build, deployment, and testing process, and impr
Published August 5th 2010 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published July 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Continuous Delivery, please sign up.
Ravi This book is language independent. It talks about principles and practices that can help you shorten the cycle of putting code from development into p…moreThis book is language independent. It talks about principles and practices that can help you shorten the cycle of putting code from development into production. As long as that's your objective, it does not matter which language you are using.(less)

Start your review of Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
Yevgeniy Brikman
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm a bit torn on this book: on the one hand, it is a very thorough look at a number of important, but often overlooked topics; on the other hand, the book is not a very effective teacher of this important material. The biggest problem is the lack of real world examples. Chapters are mostly huge blocks of advice: the advice is good, but not memorable or actionable in the way it is presented. There need to be far more examples of real world systems with both good approaches and bad approaches dis ...more
André Gomes
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book about Deployment I've read so far.

Filled with lots of good advice for improvement and automation of a deployment process.

I loved the concepts about deployments with no downtime and also found their maturity model a good guideline for improvement.

I definitely recommend the reading for software development folks.
Michael Koltsov
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is considered a cornerstone of the DevOps movement. In my opinion, it might be that in the very beginning, but currently most of the concepts that it presents are obvious and outdated.

I will recommend it to be read to someone who's new in the DevOps community, but if you've got a few years of experience in the area under your belt I would not.

It's nice to have all good concepts under one cover, but reading a 400-pages long book that will tell you the history of GIT and SVN is pointless
Mengyi
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me almost two years to finish the book, but I am happy that I did it today. 😊
This book is, IMO, the best book about DevOps practices ever. It explains why the best practices are the way they are now and what problems they solve. The book is also a thorough toolbox of everything you need to know about implementing continuous delivery successfully in your own project and company, from deployment automation to configuration management to data management and even to compliance and auditing.
I
Mark Seemann
Oct 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: software
Some years ago, I had the fortune to attend Jes Humble's workshop on continuous delivery. It was a good workshop, well delivered, and I learned a lot.

I was, therefore, surprised that it turned out to be such a struggle to read this book. It's not that I disagree with the contents, but it's so boring!

Each page is mostly a wall of text, with no diagrams, sidebars, illustrations, or even bulleted lists. Even when there's an occasional diagram, it seems strangely unhelpful. While it could be that th
Adam Hansen
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: it
This book honestly took me quite a while to get through. The content is really useful knowledge for most software developers, who would like to get insight into the best practices of a delivery pipeline!
The slow repetitive phrasing of the book, which was in my mind quite like most American text books (where the payment is linear to the amount of words...), just made it a long haul for me to get through it. I do however want to say that I took some great notes from the content, but many of which
Lyubomir Galabov
Great Knowledge Through Experience

I can’t put enough stress on how valuable this book is! Whether you are a developer, operations or manager, you will find essential knowledge to improve your work an expand your comfortable zone. I personally found some ever-missing pieces of the puzzle that baffled me on past projects and now I can easily give competent answers to what went wrong and how we could have improved. The vast experience of the authors, seen as advices and examples throughout the book
Chris Wood
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Technologists operate in a fast-moving environment. Languages rise and fall. Application strategies constantly shift across new hardware. Presentation layers move between thick and thin client across desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone architectures. For that reason, technology writers produce materials that have a relatively short shelf life.

Every now and then, books are published which make a lasting contribution to the field of computer science and software delivery (i.e. Knuth's Art of Comput
Sebastian Gebski
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
It IS a very good book and its content is essential for anyone interested in CI / mature devops processes. Why just 4 starst then? It's faaar too wordy - you could easily put the same content (in terms of meaningful information) in less pages. I just could not get rid of a feeling that I'm reading the same sentences for hundredth time... But regardless of that, this is A-MUST-READ for anyone deeplyn involved in producing professional software on enterprise level.
Harlen
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The book successfully teaches the reader about continuous delivery, the process and its benefits. Where this book stumbles is with the amount of repetition and lack of real-world examples.

Overall it's a good reference for the individual aspects that create a continuous delivery system; however, I wouldn't recommend reading it from cover to cover.
Sergey Shishkin
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very good overview of the topic. Although given it's 500 pages thick, the book could be more specific about dealing with credentials in production environments and data migrations. The companion website is another missed oportunity. Still 4 stars for the lack of a better alternative.
Sergio Inclan
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book, clean and to the point.
Jan Van Ryswyck
Nov 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
There's much wisdom in this book, but it's buried in boring writing.
Jack
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book of and on, and it took me 6 months to finish this book so my review may not be the best because it's hard to remember the stuff that I read 6 months ago.

A lot of programming books seem to point out things that I already knew to be true, but it either wasn't in the forefront of my brain, or I didn't realize that I knew the things in them, if that makes sense. It's good to have these things pointed out, and it makes me better able to explain the concepts to other people, but it's
Dun Yang
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a hard read for me. I started reading the book when I never had any real world experience with Continuous Integration and hands-on experience with deployment pipelines/ infrastructure tools. Initially, the concepts made sense but I found it hard to apply them without project experience.

I stopped at around chapter 9 and after having around 6 months of experience on a project that uses deployment pipelines and tools (e.g. Ansible/ CI server) to enable automated deployment into different
Szymon
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being more and more interested in the topic of Continuous Delivery I decided to get myself a copy of a mentioned book. Looking at its size (over 440 pages) I was expecting to not only get the knowledge from it but also to get some solid tips on how to implement and maintain CD in different projects.

You will find plenty of knowledge in this book, that’s for sure: starting with ‘why continuous delivery?’, going through configuration management (do you keep your server’s configs in the version cont
Vlad Romanenko
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
Interesting to see the book hasn't lost any relevance despite being written in 2010. This is definitely not an easy ready but rather a fundamental work on the subject. It's kind of like bible on continuous delivery that I'm sure I'll be referring back to as certain aspects of it become important in my work. I like how the book repeats over and over its core idea of having automated pipeline that makes feedback to developers faster and shorten the delivery cycle of working software. It covers wid ...more
Warren Mcpherson
A set of ideas about how to manage large scale software development. This makes a convincing case that a systematic approach can efficiently deliver high-quality software. In its time this was absolutely a great book, I'm not sure people are asking the same questions today. The authors are very knowledgeable and have remarkable foresight in particular about the significance of cloud systems. At the same time, cloud deployments make some parts of the book feel a bit outdated.
The layout of the boo
Saran Sivashanmugam
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you're serious about continuous delivery in an enterprise, then this is a must-read. This book talks about the philosophy of continuous delivery rather than specific techniques and tools. Even in a few areas where the authors talk about tools, you can see how the tools and technologies have been outdated, but the underlying philosophy is the same. One of the most important areas that many teams overlook for continuous delivery is testing automation. The authors detail the various stages of te ...more
Danial Kalbasi
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engineering
It's a great book to take a perfect grasp of software release strategies. I would recommend this book for both experienced software engineers or the engineers who just started. If you are in big software teams, you most probably do most of the guidelines in the book, but still, the book provides a good perspective of the issues and possibly a complete checklist when you face the situation!

I noticed lots of people complaining about the repetitiveness of the book. I do agree with part of it. Howe
Damian Zydek
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Warning: Chapters in this book have repetitive information for those who want to read this book selectively. You can get bored when you read it from cover to cover.

This book contains many good practices and strategies around CI/CD process. Most of this knowledge is quite general without many details about implementation and tools, which is good because this way it is useful even many years after publishing.

For me, the most interesting chapters are those with strategies around automated tests and
Holger Matthies
Eye opening. Everybody in IT should read this book, be he programmer, tester or operations specialist.

Some parts might not surprise you all that much, but are great to revisit - even old hands might learn a thing or two from the refreshing mix of theory and practice, and the very relevant real life examples. Some parts were completely new to me and touched areas I had previously little knowledge of. I feel thoroughly updated.

It is a long read, with some chapters written better than others, but r
Carlos Gabriel
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book to start CI

great book for everyone that wants to understand CI and CD. Good for managers, Project managers; Product managers and also for any Technical role. I loved the real life samples and the way they describes how you can go from a 0 to a 4 level of CI in your organization. I think this is a must to learn if you want to start with CI no matter what your role is in the project.
Gonzalo Fernández-Victorio
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, it
This is THE classic for continuous delivery. Worth reading. But it was written 10 years ago and sometimes that's obvious.
Almost no mention to the cloud.
A bit more to the DVCS. Focus on mainline development which I think it has value today but it needs a different explanation from 10 years ago.

But the principles are there. So read it.
Željko Filipin
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
My team at work started a book club, and this was our first book. We have been reading it for months, having a meeting to discuss a couple of chapters every few weeks. It's an interesting book, but far from an easy read. :) I've really enjoyed our conversations during book club meetings. I'll probably have more to say soon, I plan to write a blog post about the book when I collect my notes.
kevin
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the foundational books that established the ci/cd movement. While a few topics are under represented especially on cloud computing and security (in DevSecOps), a lot of them actually still hold quite well despite its age.

Like most practitioner books, it is hard to understand the implications without some practical experience.
Giorgi Bakradze
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The most boring book I've ever read, to sum it up in one sentence it would be: "automate everything, as much as possible". Same thing is rehearsed throughout the book. It is nice for overall understanding of CD, but nothing practical or immediately actionable. It would be a good decoration though.
Ilyes Hachani
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Half way through. The content is good but as the Authors stated there is a lot of repetition ( trade off to make chpaters standalone). The book lacks real world examples but I found it easy to get started once you know what you are looking for.
Amit Tiwari
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great guideline for Journey of continuous delivery

This book is one of the best book on practice of continuous delivery. Books described some of the best guid line for continuous integration and continuous delivery.
Arran Bartish
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read and then iterate

Always a good read. As I find myself in a new context, I find it helpful to flick through these pages and question my habits and reflexes when it comes to practicing my craft and continuous delivery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Developers : Chapter 9 - Testing Non Functional Requirements 1 3 Mar 15, 2016 06:33AM

• Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Effective Java

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Martin Fowler Signature Book (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Refactoring HTML: Improving the Design of Existing Web Applications
  • Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions
  • Refactoring Databases: Evolutionary Database Design
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services

News & Interviews

“If it hurts, do it more frequently, and bring the pain forward.” 11 likes
“Indeed, there is a school of thought that any work on a branch is, in the lean sense, waste—inventory that is not being pulled into the finished product.” 2 likes