Start by marking “The Devotion of Suspect X (Detective Galileo, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devotion of Suspect X (Detective Galileo, #1)

The Devotion of Suspect X

(Detective Galileo #3)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  26,308 ratings  ·  3,801 reviews
Yasuko lives a quiet life, working in a Tokyo bento shop, a good mother to her only child. But when her ex-husband appears at her door without warning one day, her comfortable world is shattered.

When Detective Kusanagi of the Tokyo Police tries to piece together the events of that day, he finds himself confronted by the most puzzling, mysterious circumstances he has ever
Published February 1st 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published August 29th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Devotion of Suspect X, please sign up.
Anindita I would call it a "stand out from any other thrillers in the market".
I would call it a "stand out from any other thrillers in the market".
This story is so complete in itself that it doesn't need much of context but once you finish reading the story you're sure to look forward to more of its kind.
(less)
Paul Jr. Not at all. I had actually seen a South Korean movie adaptation of it before I read the novel; so I knew most of what was coming and it kept me all…moreNot at all. I had actually seen a South Korean movie adaptation of it before I read the novel; so I knew most of what was coming and it kept me all the way through. I do wish, however, they would find a different translator for Higashino's books.
(less)

·  26,308 ratings  ·  3,801 reviews

Start your review of The Devotion of Suspect X (Detective Galileo, #1)
carol.
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to carol. by: Carol ꧁꧂, Carol, Vivian
Both unusual and familiar, The Devotion of Suspect X is an unassuming mystery with an astonishing approach.

It is a book that will toy with the very definition of the concept of 'spoilers:' it begins with a few hours in our main characters' daily routines, then quickly jumps into an emotional scene that results in murder. I admit that I was doubtful; how was I to stay interested in a mystery where I already knew the answers to the 'who-what-where-why-when?' But Hiashino is quite masterful,
Nandakishore Varma
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The classic whodunit works by misdirection, same as a magic trick. As is the case with the magician, so with the mystery writer - the more the skill in the smoothness of execution, the more mystifying the trick seems. But unlike the magician (who never tells), the author tells everything in the end: as the clever detective reveals how the public have been duped by the villain, the reader is also equally dumbfounded. The success of the mystery is in direct proportion to the amount of ...more
Carol
The Devotion of Suspect X is a must-read for anyone who appreciates police procedurals, mysteries, math, Japan, literature . . . I could go on. The Devotion of Suspect X is the third in the Detective Galileo series, but I didn't once have the impression that I lacked background or relationship information gleaned from the initial 2 books. In fact, there were no references to prior cases or mysteries to suggest that earlier books existed. If not for the publishers blurbs on the book, I'd not have ...more
Irene
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gave-away, arc
Not only is THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X a multi-faceted cultural reading experience, but it also acutely complements the familiar psychological suspense/thriller/mystery genre by infusing Japanese philosophy. Keigo Higashino shrewdly and subtly induces the reader to contemplate the immeasurable complexities of the human psyche by questioning what motivates one human being to judge who is worthy of life, and who is not.

Tetsuya Ishigami’s daily schedule is precisely what one would expect of a
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nope. No, this isn't your typical detective-murder-hunt-the-rat book. This is almost a psychological thriller where the answer has been thrown to the reader from the very first page yet it gives the thrill with amazing twists and turns as to why the character did what he did.
The title has been so aptly given. It explains everything! Damn this book is so good. The mathematician genius clashing with his old school mate, another Physics genius. Everything is out there. Nothing much to solve to
Poonam
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Poonam by: Nameeta
This has been one of the top thrillers I have read this year and this story is like nothing I have ever read. I will talk more about this in my review.

Firstly this is originally a Japanese novel and has been translated into English. The translation is done pretty well and the flow of the story is really good.

Basic Plot: A crime is committed and then a plan is formed to cover-up the crime.
"What they needed was a perfect defense based on perfect logic."

What happens when the investigation is
Rincey
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc-author, favorites
Wowwww I loved this so much. It was so great watching this puzzle come together.

Watch my full review: https://youtu.be/_8bLtNauZyA
*TANYA*
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to say this book was a delight!! The plot was very good!! I had to google some stuff, lol, but I learned a few things I didn't know before this book. Thanks to my Goodreads friend, LaTonya for the recommendation.
Rohit Enghakat
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book ! Brilliant plot narration by the author. One of the best books in the thriller genre I have read so far. It is about a murder and how the protagonist helps the culprit cover up the crime recreating the crime scene (not disclosing the details here). The climax is absolutely surprising and it definitely keeps the reader on tenterhooks.

I wonder if the Hindi / Malayalam movie "Drishyam" was inspired by this book. Enjoyed this immensely !
Idarah
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017, favorites
When the crime, perpetrator(s), and motive were revealed within the first few chapters, I was sure I would be in for an anticlimactic read. How would an author keep a reader interested for the remainder of the book?! Higashino succeeded, and in a phenomenal way, in that even when I thought I understood the basics that the investigation was based on, that plot twist at the end was like a slap in the face. You don't really realize that you're involved in a cat and mouse game until the end. I was ...more
Dyuti
The Devotion of Suspect X is the third book of the 'Detective Galileo' series by the author Keigo Higashino. The reason why I believe it has managed to attain such popularity, is because the book has broken free from the shackles of the typical 'whodunnit' format. The author presents us with a greater challenge than wondering who the murderer is: he keeps us guessing about how the murder can be hidden, in order to make it a perfect crime.

The premise of the story, as oft-repeated, is simple.

Abhinav
Whoa! I finished reading the final 220 odd pages in less than 3 hours. That must be some kind of a personal best for me.

All of the crime thrillers I had read before this had the same template of the classical whodunit, with a few alterations here & there. But it was always on me to try & guess the identity of the culprit until the end when the book finally provides the revelation.

But what if you're already told 'who done it' in the first couple of chapters itself? Believe me, I thought
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ by: Peter McA
Subtle, skillful, sad.

& quite unlike anything else I have ever read.

This made me think of two intelligent people playing a game of chess. Shogi is also known as Japanese Chess

Impossible to review without spoilers, impossible to stop thinking about.

Thanks to real life friend Peter for pressing this in my hands,last time I was in the library.

Read it now.
Fiona MacDonald
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book. It's a cut above the rest when it comes to crime fiction. Higashino has created the most stunning story that merges mathematical problems with police procedure, and adds to it with eloquent prose, fascinating characters, and a twist at the end that will blow your socks off.
A young woman is shocked one day to find her ex-husband at her door. Little does she know, she will be caught up in a mysterious whirlwind of suspicion where no one is who they really seem. For
Jr Bacdayan
Keigo Higashino: =)

Translator: You want to read this? Mwahahahaha. Eat mah shit!!!!!

Me:

Meh. Hmmm..okay. Ohh it’s getting interesting. Ayt. Who the fuck translated this??! Ohhh well. Still pretty good. Awesome. What.the.fuck. Ahhh!!! Ahhhhh!!! Whoah really??? Ahhhhhhh!!!! * welp* Whewwww. Wow. Whyyyyyy. Wow!!!

You:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

{grade school review but I should probably click like for the effort}
\
(-_-)

Boring Person:

A totally different spin
Apoorva
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
L.A. Starks
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Perhaps a cultural mismatch for me: I found the pace of the book far too slow, the romantic element Victorian at best, and the idea of that brilliant physicists and mathematicians would be also brilliant in sleuthing unrealistic.

The Japanese setting is interesting. The book has good twists at the end, but the plot takes way too long to get there.
Antigone
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a murder. There is a suspect. There is a policeman. Yet in the brief space of a few fairly straight-forward chapters, these elements transform. The crime becomes a chessboard. The perpetrator turns to pieces of black, the lawman to pieces of white, as we pull back to meet the true players - two academics, friends from long ago, who find themselves facing off in a battle of wits.

Everything here is deceptive, including the modest reserve with which Higashino relays his tale. Those sleeves
Leonard
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Crime Addict Sifat
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Japanese Author that I tried. It had been a stunning read for me. I should admit, the story on occasion goes somewhat sensitive. By the way, this is an absolute "must read" top rated story which will thrill you right from the word go.

As you begin turning the pages, you would become acquainted with Yasuko Hanoaka, a single parent who has needed to move to get away from her ex, at long last snaps when he appears at her new entryway. When she and her little girl coincidentally
Tisha
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tisha by: Benozir Ahmed
Shelves: favorites
I never read any book of this writer before. But after finishing Suspect X, I felt I have to read his writings more often! It was AWESOME, SIMPLY AWESOME! If you are a lover of thriller or mystery, you have to read it!

The plot was sooooooooo good! The twist in the last part was simply mind-blowing. It may seem like an ordinary murder case at the beginning. But when you continue reading, you will find out different aspects of this simple looking case and you just cannot guess the whole thing of
Shruti
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Devotion of Suspect X is one of the most mind boggling books that I have ever read. Keigo Higashino has managed to successfully narrate the complex and perplexing story of a murder and the subsequent, brilliant coverup.

This book relies heavily on logic and flaws of the human thought process—taking advantage of the so-called blind spots that arise due to the assumptions we subconsciously make. Unlike many other books of the kind, the police are portrayed as incredibly competent, making the
Suzy
3 1/2 stars

I was excited that one of the mystery groups I belong to here on GR picked this as the June/July group read since the audio had been hanging around in my iPod for a couple of years. I had no idea of what to expect and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this, my first outing with a Japanese murder mystery.

I especially liked the cerebral nature of the story where we follow a police detective and his physicist/ professor friend Dr. Yukawa, aka Professor Galileo, as they try
David Yoon
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not a whodunit but rather a how to get away with it thriller. By the end of the first chapter Yasuko Hanoaka and her daughter Misato have killed Yasuko’s ex-husband Togashi. You could argue it was in self-defence but that’s not the point. Yasuko’s neighbor, the heavyset, round-faced Ishigami overhears the commotion and deduces their predicament. Clearly infatuated with Yasuko, he offers up his services in covering up the crime. "Trust me" he says, "Logical thinking will get us through this."

Vivian
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. I rarely give out five stars, but this one earned it.

My second book that I've read by Higashino and I love his writing. This one was even better than THE NAME OF THE GAME IS A KIDNAPPING, and I can see how readers who enjoyed THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X first might have been disappointed. This was masterfully done. Again, there's an adroit use of misdirection and again, I saw so many pieces, but one--a delightful twist.

This appealed to me, and while the mystery itself, the game is
aPriL does feral sometimes
'The Devotion of Suspect X', by Japanese author Keigo Higashino, is an amazing police procedural puzzler of a mystery! Not the crime itself - the murder victim and the murderer are revealed in the first chapter. It is during the investigations of the murder by two other characters after the murder that even more shocking discoveries are made.

This book is best if read cold, without reading the cover blurbs or reviews. Either stop here, or if you must, gentle reader, I will continue.

When I started
Karthick
There are some books that just obsess you like anything and never get outta your mind.
After "Murder of roger Ackroyd", "And then there were none", Devotion of suspect has become top notch favourites in my "mystery thriller list".
Simple plot,
Clever execution,
Mind blowing deception,

culmination is a really "Awe, what the fuck".

Whodunit lovers! dont miss this..
K.
Trigger warnings: murder, implied domestic violence

WELL. This blew my mind. I read Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama recently and while I really liked it, it took me a long time to get to the point where I really liked it. This, on the other hand, I loved from basically page one.

I mean, I definitely did not expect to know from the very beginning who the murderer was and then see the story unfold as the police try to work out who the murderer is and the murderer nervously waits to see if they'll be
La Tonya  Jordan
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves Mysteries
Recommended to La Tonya by: Carmel, IN Library Mystery Book Group
Shelves: good-read
Mr. Ishigami is a brilliant mathematician who becomes devoted to his neigbor, Yasuko Hanaoka and her daugher Misato, from a distance. He speaks to her only in passing and ordering his daily box lunch from Benten-tei, at the lunch counter, where Ms. Hanaoka works. His devotion leads to covering up the murder of Ms. Hanoka ex-husband Togashi. This leads to the suspense and thriller.

Mr. Ishigami is a genius with calculations and the cover up is a mathematical problem to him. How to pull off the
Helly
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
While reading this much hyped book, I seldom was reminded of Dhrishyam, the Ajay Devgan starrer where an alibi was similarly used to cover up a murder. Though there are significant differences, there are significant similarities as well. Without going into the plagiarism debate, I must say that Higashino's book was a solid plot and mystery. But the last page...Err....Ruined it for me.
Goodreads Librari...: series number discrepancy 2 16 Aug 07, 2019 11:48AM
Yukawa's unexplained action 2 87 Dec 26, 2017 12:45PM
The Chennai Book ...: Amazing mystery novel 3 111 Mar 25, 2017 09:53AM
Amazing mystery novel 3 48 Aug 10, 2015 06:47PM

• Confessions
  • Mắt Biếc
  • Mưu Sát
  • Đứa Trẻ Hư
  • The Tokyo Zodiac Murders (御手洗潔 #1)
  • Bố Con Cá Gai
  • Grotesque
  • Đề Thi Đẫm Máu (Phương Mộc, #2)
  • Sự Trả Thù Hoàn Hảo
  • Penance
  • Out
  • A Quiet Place
  • ZOO
Keigo Higashino (東野 圭吾) is one of the most popular and biggest selling fiction authors in Japan—as well known as James Patterson, Dean Koontz or Tom Clancy are in the USA.

Born in Osaka, he started writing novels while still working as an engineer at Nippon Denso Co.(presently DENSO). He won the Edogawa Rampo Prize, which is awarded annually to the finest mystery work, in 1985 for the novel Hōkago

Detective Galileo (8 books)
  • 探偵ガリレオ [Tantei Garireo] (ガリレオ, #1)
  • 予知夢 [Yochimu] (ガリレオ, #2)
  • ガリレオの苦悩 [Garireo no Kunō] (ガリレオ, #4)
  • Salvation of a Saint (Detective Galileo, #2)
  • A Midsummer's Equation (Detective Galileo, #3)
  • 虚像の道化師 [Kyozo No Dokeshi] (ガリレオ, #7)
  • 禁断の魔術 [Kindan no majutsu garireo 8] (ガリレオ, #8)
“Sometimes, all you had to do was exist in order to be someone's saviour.” 152 likes
“It’s more difficult to create the problem than to solve it. All the person trying to solve the problem has to do is always respect the problem’s creator.” 59 likes