Start by marking “The Million Dollar Putt” as Want to Read:
The Million Dollar Putt

The Million Dollar Putt (Million Dollar #5)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  442 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Edward Bogie Bogard is blind, but he's determined to master the game of golf when it turns out he has the swing of a natural player. Soon, someone mysteriously enters Bogie in a golfing tournament with a million-dollar prize.
Published May 1st 2007 by Perfection Learning (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Million Dollar Putt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Million Dollar Putt

Tracy
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 9-109 year olds
Shelves: ya
I loved this book so much I could pour chocolate syrup over it and eat it up! Who knew a book about golf could be so sweet. And funny too. But it's really not about golf (althought I did finally learn what words like par, bogie and birdie mean), Bogie and Birdie are characters who overcome challenges that kids shouldn't have to face. Both ultimately prove that you can turn your "challenges" into triumph, especially when you have a supportive best friend!
I only read this because of my 4th grader
Hunter E
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a million dollar putt by Dan Gutman. It was about a blind boy named Bogie who had a special talent at golf and he enters a million dollar contest for golfing. My favorite part was when Bogie out drove Hunter Lynch at the driving range. A personal connection is that I really love golf as a hobby but I don't feel like doing anything with it like entering something. If you like sports even if you don't play golf I recommend this book. I would rate the book a 5/5.
Tim Burgess
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written book.
Hayden
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Million Dollar Putt" by Dan Gutman shows how a blind kid became a golf star. When Bogie goes to the driving range with bullies from his school he finds that he is a great golfer. Find out how Bogie got entered in a million dollar golf tournament.

I liked this book because I enjoy reading about sports. I liked the book because there were a lot of plot twists that made me want to keep reading.

I would reccomend this to 5th to 8th graders. If you like Dan Gutmans other books you will like this
Ian_E1
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The blind kid winning a million dollar to his "enemy". This book gives me personal connections from my experiences in golf. I golf regularly in courses with my dad as a coach. Just like El. As the book finishes off with El driving, this gives an lesson for everyone to learn. Try hard, and you can make anything come true. Furthermore to El's last curve shot in the finals. The curve shots happen to me all the time. I recommend this book to all the golfers in the world.
Yasmine Lopez
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever wonder if a person who lost their eye sight could do or be better at something then a person that has their eye sight? Or if it is even possible? Well this is the Fiction book " The Million Dollar Putt ". This was AMAZING for me ♥ because i learned the blind can do so many things even though they are blind.

This book took place in Hawai'i. The main character " Boggie " wanted to win the million dollar putt but the problem was he was blind. So he practiced everyday with his new golf c
Jake H
Plot-
The Million Dollar Putt is a very interesting book. You don't normally see a blind golfer, but in this book, Edward Bogard is one of them. He lost his eye sight when he was about three years old. Ever since then, he had to use his other senses to get through his obstacles. His mother has died when Edward was just a baby. He doesn't remember her. One day, Edwards so called "friends" took him out to go golfing. His friends made a bet to see who could hit the golf ball the farthest. It turns o
Molly
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-2013
Why a 4 star rating?:

I really enjoyed reading this humorous and inspirational story, I love the character of Bogie and the relationship he has with Birdie. It's a quick read with some laugh-out-loud parts and relatable characters. I especially like Bogie's attitude towards life and the way he encourages Birdie. The only thing I didn't really like was the idea that a blind 13 year old, who had never played golf before, could become a golf pro in a matter if a few weeks, it's just not realistic.

Pl
Christian Garcia
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone up for blind golfing? The genre of this book is realistic fiction. This book is like no other ,because of the point of view. The point of is told by a blind kid named Ed Bogard or Bogie for short. It actually feels like your blind because whatever he sees, you see...which is nothing much.

***Spoiler Alert***

This book takes place in Hawai'i which is one of the best places to play golf because of its 12 best golf courses in the world. In the story Birdie, one of Bogie's friend wants Bogie t
James
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In the book, The Million Dollar Putt by Dan Newman,Bogey, a blind kid, is about to figure out that he has a special talent. Hunter Lynche, a bully, and his friends offer to take him to golf range to compete for the best drive. Ronnie hits the ball 150 yards,Jonah hit the ball 175 yards, and Hunter hit the ball 200 yards. They almost forgot about Bogey. Bogey had Ronney set the club head behind the ball and he swung and hit it perfectly straight past 200 yards. Bogey won the bet and told his dad,
Jordan G
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He is sixty years old and loves to write. Dan Gutman has written one hundred plus books. I read his book called “Million Dollar Putt”. Dan has many series of books, my favorite series is the Million Dollar series. A aspect that I like is that it has a blind golfer in it and I have ever heard of a blind golfer.
I like the way Dan writes it has a lot of cliffhangers, due to that I just couldn’t put the book down. Some of the main characters are Bogie, Birdie, Bogie’s dad, and Hunter. I also like th
3 Wilson Gunnar
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the million dollar putt by Dan Gutman, overall it was a good book but I didn't realize the book was a 5th grade level. in the book its about a blind guy that plays golf but its more of a younger kids book. its nothing but a "putt" a "life" or "death" putt. he was trying to win a tournament and it came down to the winning putt. it was actually a good book its was funny and it really caught my attention because I love playing golf with my friends. the main character was an old man that was ...more
Daniel
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Key Issues: Blind, Golf, Love, Fitting in, Bullied

List of Characters
Ed Bogard: Blind, funny, brave,nice, friendly{Narrator,protagonist}
Birdie: Cute, lonely, builder, bad at sports{protagonist}
Hunter: Selfish, rude, mean, bully toward Ed,{antagonist}
Ronnie: Friend of Hunter's, short, rude, heartless{antagonist}
Alex: Friend of Hunter's, tall, strong, unfriendly{antagonist}
Ed's Dad: Hate's golf, nice, collects golf balls{protagonist}

Plot Summary: Ed who is blind meets a very nice girl named Birdie.
Connor Benson
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Million Dollar Putt by Dan Gutman is a good book but in my opinion not a great one. Some things I liked about it was that it was written in first person and was really understandable. Nothing really was hard to comprehend either. The thing that I didn't like about the book is how it predictable, everything In the book I could probably guess.

Ed Bogard, a blind person, is sitting in a tree playing his guitar when this girl, Birdie, walks and sees him. She says something to him and he falls ou
Caleb Lattin
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is pretty darn good. It is about golf and I love and play golf, so it relates to me. It also has an amazing story line. A blind golfer suddenly becomes aware that he is good at golf. His caddy lines him up and he hits the ball. Then, he plays his first hole and he gets a hole in one. He enters a golf tournament for a million dollars, and you will have to read the book to find out what happens.
This book would be a good 6th grade and up book because a lot of informatio is thro
82_#14 All
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mandy
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this with Sam for his chat and chew. Sam is now a big fan of this author and has been searching for all of his books at the library.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Parents Review: Okay, I know I was boy crazy at 13 but now being an adult/parent I know its entirely too young. So, I don't love the romance between the 2 main characters, the holding of hands and the kiss, at only 13. Way too young. And I don't get the relationship between the father and son. It's basically built on lies. And I don't know th
Zach Howe
The Million Dollar Putt by Dan Gutman Realistic Fiction # of pages 169

Summary- Ed Bargard or Bogie for short is about 13 years old, is interested in golf, is blind, brownish hair, kind of tall. Birdie Andrews a girl, is Bogies friend. Kind of tall, dirty blond hair, funny personality. setting Bogies house- small, Golf courses, theme- it doesn't matter what you look like on the outside. 1. Bogie plays his guitar 2. Bogie meets Birdie 3. Bogie hits the ball more than 200 yards 4. A guy says that b
Skylar Arcidiacono
Mason Bondurant
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read "troublemaker" by Dan Gutman and I thought this book was great! Gutman is one of my favorite authors, no matter what book I bet it really is good. This book had very good voice and I kind of connected with it because I enjoy golf too!
"Troublemaker" is about a boy named Ed but people just call him Bogey. He finds that he is truly an amazing golfer and even trainers are saying it. But he is just the hitter, he needs some eyes it there to tell him where the hole is. That's when Birdie Andr
B
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This funny "million dollar" book features Edward Bogard, Bogie for short. Even though he is blind, Bogie experiences and is taught many things by is father such as biking, parasailing, etc. The one thing his father will not do with him is go golfing but Bogie finds out, on an outing with school chums, that he is a natural in the sport. So with his funny neighbor girl, Birdie, as coach, he begins to learn the sport and is entered into a million dollar tournament. It's humorous, (how he deals with ...more
Matthew Macdonald
The Million Dollar Putt by Dan Gutman is a sporty and fun kind of book. It's about a 13 year old boy that is blind. Ed goes to the driving range one day to figure out that he can drive the fall 200 yards. And Ed enters in a competition that if he can make a putt he can win a million dollars.
This book takes place in modern time in Hawaii.
I would recommend this book to any body who loves fun sport type book. Also I recommend this book to people who like books by Dan Gutman.
Isaac
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is about a boy who lost his mother and he is very talented on playing golf. He has a very good friend that lives right next to his house. His father would never mention the thing golf in front of this boy because there was a bad story that happened to him when he was playing golf with his wife.

I think that this book is a little bit realistic and I think people would not want to read it if they don't want to read about golf.
Sam
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may not be entirely appropriate for kids, since it includes a nudity joke and dealing with severe conditions like heatstroke, but the braver ones who still want to read it will enjoy this flying-blind underdog tale that will definitely inspire and entice you to go for the gold. Not a perfectly executed book, but definitely a close second to it.
Caroline
Before this book I had read million dollar kick for school I had to read a sports fiction so this is the book I choose. This book is about a boy who is blind and meets a girl, they become best friends. One day when the boy was at school a mean boy in his grade asks him if he wants to go to a driving range with him and his friends. Fooled the boy say yes but he discovers he has a great talent.
Luke.Baker
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was about a blind golfer who has never play golf in his life until one day his friend asked him to go to the driving range. He thought ever one said that his shot was the best but he thought they were joking. So he asked a guy to help him out but you will have to read the story to find out. He enters the tournament but does he win this book has a big turn in it.
Jonah Satyr
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Million Dollar Putt", by Dan Gutman was a really interesting book. The idea of the main character being blind was genius of Dan Gutman because it adds to the suspense of what is actually happening. For a while I wondered if the main character was even good at golf, or if people were just tricking him. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the Million Dollar series.
Andrew Isho
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book million dollar putt by Dan Gutman. The genre is a realistic fiction novel. This book is about a blind person that can play golf. And someone enters him in a golf competition for a million dollar prize. I rated this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I rated it that because I thought it was original and creative.
Corey Vanek
Kala S.
I learned that even though some people are disabled they can do anything. Just like the character, Bogie, with his disability of being blind. yet he can do many things such as, parasailing,sufing and golf.
Million Dollar Putt 1 2 Nov 10, 2012 10:35PM
The Million Dollar Putt 1 2 Nov 10, 2012 10:30PM
The Million Dollar Putt 1 1 Nov 10, 2012 10:30PM
  • Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day
  • Dead Guy Spy (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #2)
  • Full Court Press
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet
  • Regarding the Bathrooms: A Privy to the Past
  • BMX Bully (Jake Maddox Sports Story)
  • Artsy-Fartsy
  • Counting on Grace
  • Mudville
  • Keeping Score
  • Toes
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman...

Million Dollar (5 books)
  • The Million Dollar Shot (The Million Dollar Series, #1)
  • The Million Dollar Kick (The Million Dollar Series, #2)
  • The Million Dollar Goal (The Million Dollar Series, #3)
  • The Million Dollar Strike (The Million Dollar Series, #4)