Start by marking “ManBug” as Want to Read:
ManBug

ManBug

The first novel by George K. Ilsley, whose first story collection, Random Acts of Hatred, was published to acclaim in 2004. Told in dream-like fragments, ManBug unfolds as a love story between Sebastian, an entomologist with Asperger’s Syndrome, and Tom, a spiritual bisexual who may or may not be recruiting Sebastian for a cult. They navigate their relationship as damaged ...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about ManBug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ManBug

Joe
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sebastian is a gay entomologist with Asperger Syndrome. Tom is a dyslexic bisexual and (nominally) Buddhist. ManBug is the nickname Tom accidentally gives Sebastian (he meant to say BugMan). ManBug the novel is the story of their relationship. The novel is written in the third person, but it is obviously filtered through the mind of Sebastian.

The story of their relationship is told in short chapters which read like ethereal wisps of stories. There is a story here, and despite the light feeling
Théo
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-story
The writing was pretty great, I like the simple and fragmented style, and the story itself was pretty nice and cute at first, but there's so much stereotyping about bisexual men going on, urgh (especially with that ending). I really connected a lot with Sebastian, though.
Tim
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an refreshingly honest book written through the lens of an autistic gay man and a dyslexic bisexual man (and their relationship). There is no plot, just insights into life that that an older guy can identify with and a younger man can learn from.
George Ilsley
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fiction, gay, autism, spiritual
This book still makes me laugh. I have a great capacity to forget things, so there are surprises galore as I re-read bits and pieces.
Kate O'Hanlon
Corey
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This quick and dirty plot summary makes the whole of ManBug seem precariously twee, an exercise in quirks and idiosyncrasies, and indeed the duo are spectacularly unique in oddball ways, in particular Sebastian’s additional experiencing of synesthesia, a condition wherein he sees colours in reaction to sounds or words. It’s to Ilsley’s immense credit that ManBug, a novel without a noticeable plot, reads not as overly-precocious experimental fiction, but rather as a funny, sexy, and surprisingly ...more
Martin
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-lgbt-lit
Loved it!!! Presenting two of the most peculiar characters I've met in Literature so far...I can offer a paraphrase of 'match made in Heavens' to 'match made in the bugs inhibited labyrinthic Underground' - the latter summarizing the book for me. Mind you: a book that can hardly be summarized, so...the paraphrase is just a perceptional idea after closing up the book; one of many such ideas I have about it.
Dasha
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What original, peculiar, and charming characters! I loved this book. Some of the sexual details went on slightly too long for me, but this is definitely a very memorable read. I loved its sad and happy and somewhat unclear (due to Asperger's) tones throughout, and the insightful connection between insects and humans.
Lil' Grogan
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, 4, lgbt, romance, lol
An interesting, charming voice. The mix of humour, lurking fears, eroticism, obsessions, and bugs gave an interesting peek into the relationship between Sebastian and Tom. Lot of writing was poetic and rhythmic. Some parts were a little trite, but overall I was kept laughing and I liked the development of Sebastian (and his view of the world through colours).
Enrique
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Repetitive, boring, focuses on an aspect of natural sciences the author does not know about beyond Wikipedia and tries to use is a witty metaphor for interpersonal relationships but miserably fails. His earlier short stories (collection) were inconsistent and flippant, but their variety was bearable as a couple were almost good. Reading this is just a waste of time.
Morgan
Carolyn
May 12, 2015
Jason Hood
Feb 16, 2014
Winner of the 2015 Lush Triumphant Literary Award for fiction.

Winner of the 2014 Lush Triumphant Literary Award for creative non-fiction.

Author of the novel ManBug, and the short fiction collection, Random Acts of Hatred.

Was a writer in residence, in the Yukon, in winter. And loved it.
“The Sanskrit word for awareness is smriti, which no one can pronounce. This may explain why awareness has not become as well-known in the west as karma, dharma, and nirvana.” 0 likes