Start by marking “Skeleton Lake (Nik Kane Alaska Series #3)” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Lake (Nik Kane Alaska Series #3)

Skeleton Lake (Nik Kane #3)

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Wounded during an investigation and still grieving the loss of his son, Anchorage private detective Nik Kane returns to his first big case, one that he's never been able to close. Danny Shirtleff was an undercover cop gunned down on a muddy road next to Skeleton Lake. But even in Alaska, cold cases have a habit of heating up. And Nik Kane is about to get burned.
Published August 14th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton Lake

Steve Payne
This was my least favorite of the 3 Nik Kane books. There isn't a lot of action. I really left me with my questions than answers. Was Dylan really Nik's son? Was Teddy really Nik's father?
Susan
Skeleton Lake by Mike Doogan is the third book of the Nik Kane mystery series set in Anchorage Alaska. In 2007, Nik Kane is recovering from nearly fatal injuries resulting from a tragic shootout. Chapters alternate between Nik's recovery in 2007, and his childhood memories from 1963-5, and his first major murder case as a rookie detective in 1985. Nik's life has been filled with turmoil.

Nik grew up living hand-to-mouth; each child in the family worked, underage or not, so they could eat. His fat
Ashley
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book is one that tells the story of a man at three different times in his life: 1962, 1985, and 2007. Each chapter switches eras. It was not until page 200 of 300 that I realized that there were actually two completely separate mysteries going on in the book. I kept waiting for it all to come together and it never did. The book was more the development of a man with a very sad life than it was an intense mystery thriller. If you are looking for the biography of a fictional character who had ...more
Jessica
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very depressing detective/mystery novel, which kept me guessing to the very melancholy end.

It was mixed with the main characters home life and youth filled with poverty and a longing to know what happened to his missing dad.

I read it because it took place in Anchorage. After reading it, I'd never want to visit or live there.

This book leads you to believe that most people are depraved and wicked. It was horrible, with little hope.

At least I couldn't figure out who the killer was. And when I did
Monical
I zipped through this book when I came down with a cold. Good reading for an illness, not too demanding. Doogan uses a very interesting construct in this book, going back and forth in time while the main character is recovering. I am getting a little sick of the obsession with the missing father, miss the main character's wife (where did she go?) and thought the kids were cyphers. The main character also shows little grief for the ending of the last book ("Capitol Offense") so in my mind, the ma ...more
Harry Lane
Best of the three in the series so far - provided you have read the first two. I had wondered how Doogan was going to go forward from the conclusion of the second volume, and he manages the task very well indeed. The story unfolds in flashbacks to Nik's childhood and early days as a detective. The conclusion resolves the mystery, but there is personal business left hanging. I look forward to the fourth story.
Kim
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
hmm....on the fence with this one. I guess my main problem is he ends the book just when its getting somewhere.

It begins after Nik wakes up in the hospital after being shot. He struggles with memories of his dad's leaving and his first case as a detective (a unsolved shooting of a fellow police officer). To relieve boredom and keep his mind off the death of his son, Nik goes through the old case file and opens up a cold case that hits closer to home than he realizes.
Savannah
Without the topicality of being in Juneau that kept the last episode in this ongoing series engrossing, I'm back to a more ho-hum attitude. I'm not sure I really like the protagonist and so I'm sort of indifferent to the pressures that are driving the series plot. And with this episode pretty much interior, the whole portrayal of Alaska part is much less compelling. I'll probably read the next, but this series is on notice to perform or not be worth the effort beyond that.
Kayeb
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this....... Nik Dane is the primary detective, and the setting is Alaska. There is the former cop who is killed, the broken marriage and some typical cop kinds of themes. Kane finds out that the dead man was quite a ladies man and made the rounds of many women in the area......including those who are married. An easy read, but still somehow kept my attention.
Pam Herrmann
This book left me confused. All the bouncing back and forth from past to present. Maybe I just couldn't get into the characters but at the end I was still wondering who was who. I was also irritated with the names - Cee Cee, Jackie Dee, Jackie DeeTwo. Won't be reading any more of his books if this is as good as it gets.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

Nik Kane (3 books)
  • Lost Angel (Nik Kane #1)
  • Capitol Offense (Nik Kane #2)