Start by marking “Keep a Little Secret (Tucker Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Keep a Little Secret (Tucker Family, #2)

Keep a Little Secret

(Tucker Family #2)

The new novel from the New York Times bestselling author follows Charlotte Tucker, the young girl from Garlock's most recent novel, Stay A Little Longer, into adulthood.

Published March 21st 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Keep a Little Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep a Little Secret

Sarah S
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I can't remember why I picked this up. It was okay. There was a tornado.
Deanna
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, library
I was surprised by this book and I didn't even think to pick it up - it was just the next book on the shelf of audiobooks at my library. I really enjoyed the story and the characters. Just when you think you know who did what, there's another twist. And it's so logical and fun! I would be driving around on a bright sunny day, but this story would be so detailed that I would be turning my head to find the tornado that is most certainly on it's way to me! The downside, is I felt like the write tho ...more
Jenna
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 stars

I"m slowing making my way thru Dorothy Garlocks books.

while reading it, I could tell that there was a prequel & a sequel involved. I had to look it up to see if it was a series. It was the 2nd book in the series.
since i didn't know, i honestly didn't feel lost b/c i hadn't read them. She did a good job of summing up the previous story in a paragraph or two.

I didn't find the romance b/w Owen & Charlotte as interesting as the 2 subplots.
I was busy trying to figure out who the sabo
Ada Iaboni
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I gave 3 stars because of how it abruptly ended.
The slow romance between the main characters was sweet and fit the era of the book. The secrets they all kept were entwined in most of the characters. Each touched the other. As love also gathers them together to form a new family.
Melanie Winter
May 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Barbara, my volunteer at the Pantry, loaned me this book. It is a good reminder of why I don't like most romances. I managed to work my way through the whole thing, feeling the disappointment of wasted time at the end. The plot was predictable and contrived. I do not like the push-pull of most romances and this one is classic.
Megan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wow. It's bad. But it's bad in the way that you need something to read that asks nothing of you, including remembering a plot line or characters. You can put it down for a few days and come back when you have a minute or an hour, and that's what I need at the moment. So does that make it good?
Marianne
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet, very sweet.
Amy Lignor
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the newest offering from a NY Times Bestselling author who has written almost fifty books offering mystery, seduction, and the most beautiful romances to be put on paper since Jane Austen unleashed her talent on the world. So it comes as no surprise that this latest story by Ms. Garlock was a "must-read" from page one.

Readers begin briefly in Colorado in the year 1938 sitting by the side of a woman who has lived a life full of happiness and joy, yet has kept a secret buried deep inside
Amelia Elizabeth
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
Christine
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Charlotte left her home behind to come teach in Sawyer, Oklahoma. She is put up at a ranch near town owned by John Grant. While living on the ranch she meets Owen and Hannah who have come to Sawyer to get revenge on their father, who left their mother while she was pregnant.

Strange accidents then start happening at the ranch, and people's lives get put in danger. It seems like everyone suspects Owen. Charlotte begins to realize her feelings towards him and becomes determined to clear his name,
Carly
I nabbed this book off the "New Books" section of the library since the teaser looked great, but I'd never heard of the author, and I'm always a little wary of secular romance, so I ventured into it skeptically. And a chapter or two in, I discovered that this is actually the second in a series. I dutifully stopped to research the first... but after reading about that one decided it wasn't even worth it and broke my own rule, jumping into the series.

To Ms. Garlock's credit, I did actually enjoy t
 Gigi Ann
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've read a few other books by Ms. Garlock, and this historical romance novel was a treat, with strong characters and Ms. Garlock's old-fashioned, no-nonsense storytelling.

It is 1939. The Depression is finally ending and everyone faces new challenges with renewed can-do-spirit. Charlotte Tucker is no exception. She has always followed her heart, and now it leads her to Oklahoma's biggest ranch where she can teach in her very own schoolhouse.

When suspicious accidents put the ranch and lives in j
Cheryl
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a good book. Charlotte is a young woman, just starting her first job as a schoolteacher in the 1930's. She is away from her family and the town she grew up in for the first time. She has a fiesty personality, and that both helps and hinders her as she gets used to life on the Oklahoma ranch where she is living. As a series of suspicious events unfolds on the ranch, Charlotte gets drawn into the drama as well. I liked the plot and most of the characters in the story. I did think there te ...more
Jane
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
As a child, Charlotte Tucker was raised in small town Minnesota where the only real company was the people who came to her aunt Louise's boarding house. Several years later, Charlotte is a young woman and thirsty to get out of her hometown and see the world. When a teaching position opens up in Oklahoma, she jumps at the opportunity to take a room on John Grant's ranch in Sawyer, a small town to the north, to begin her new career. She soon befriends Owen and Hannah Wallace, a brother and sister ...more
Susan
May 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Set in 1939, this book revolves around adult twins Owen and Hannah, who are trying to find the man who abandoned their mother before they were born. They follow a lead found in a letter their mother wrote and end up on a farm in Okalhoma, where they meet Charlotte, a newly minted teacher. The rest of the plot revolves around romances between the main characters and resolution of the mystery of their father's identity. Since this was set on a farm, there isn't as much written about what life was ...more
Karen & Gerard
Keep A Little Secret by Dorothy Garlock is about secrets, revenge and romance. Charlotte leaves her home in Minnesota to teach in Oklahoma and lives on John Grant’s ranch. John Grant is a target of two people holding grudges against him.Owen and his twin sister leave Colorado in search of their father to get revenge but find love instead. There are several calamities that make this an interesting read.

I was attracted to the cover and when I saw it was by Dorothy Garlock, I had to get it. This is
Natalya
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Nancy
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
It sounded good and at first it seemed like it might be, but then the repetition began and kept on. I hate reading the same thing over and over throughout different chapters. After the first explanation I've got why the character feels or thinks or acts the way they do. Thank you, I don't need to have it explained to me again and again. This takes up way too much ink and paper and makes me want to scream! Unfortunately many historical romance authors do this to fill the pages, which is probably ...more
Susannah
Nov 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, ugh
Nice cover; don't let that fool you. Poorly written dialogue is just the first, perhaps most obvious fault in this book. The characters are not only unlikeable and cliched, I couldn't understand exactly what the author was trying to accomplish in attempting to tell this train-wreck of a story. There was simply no compelling plot, no real theme, nothing to convince me to take the book seriously, and it was so excruciatingly dull and then over-dramatic by turns that if the author's intention was t ...more
Janalynn
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I think the author raced to the end and missed a great opportunity. Imagine a young girl giving birth in a shelter filled with twenty or so ranch hands stuck close by while a tornado rages above. She and the baby would have protectors for the rest of their lives.
Now about what the author actually wrote, it felt authentic but there were too many loose ends. I wanted to see the old bat of a school teacher retire. It is too bad when an author creates such real characters and doesn't make the most
Melissa
This story was ok, nothing spectacular but a decent read to pass the time with. The romance was kinda bland and the suspense on the "who done it" part wasn't very suspenseful. You're told half of who the bad people are pretty early in the story and its pretty easy to figure out who the other one was so really no big suprises in the story at all.

All in all, if your looking for some steamy romance or a lot of suspense and intrigue this isn't your book; but if you are looking for a light read with
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in a bargain bin at Barnes and Noble and I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't feel like there was amazing chemistry with the couple but it was a sweet story nonetheless. There was also a lot of unfortunate events that kept my interest and though I had an idea who was behind it, I still enjoyed the mystery. I looked into other books by this author and saw she has a lot to choose from so I will definitely try other stuff from her.
Eileen
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Up to this point I've really liked every Dorothy Garlock book I've read. But this book had surprisingly little to it. Charlotte relocates to Oklahoma to be the new school teacher. She meets Owen and Hannah who have relocated to Oklahoma to try to find their biological Father. Suspicious things start happening on the ranch they are all staying at. The group gets themselves into some sticky predicaments. There's not a lot more to it, it was really disappointing.
Shannon
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
The base of the story - twin brother and sister out looking for their biological father in the era before DNA testing was available was interesting. I felt like the romance part was lukewarm - I didn't really see where the attraction for Owen came from. I don't think an independent and adventerous woman, such as Charlotte, would fall for a bad-tempered guy like that.
Jeanne
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
This is another of Garlock's stories set in the late 1930's, early 1940's. Charlotte Tucker leaves Minnesota to go to Rawlings, Oklahoma to teach school. There she encounters twins, Hannah and Owen Wallace, who are on a secret quest to find the man who "ruined" their mother. Garlock is not just a writer, but a very good story teller. Her writing is reminiscent of an earlier, innocent time.
Juliet
A nice and warm story. Dorothy Garlock books never disappoint me.
But there are quite a few parts in this book that weren't well explained and I definitely didn't like the way how Carter died. His character seemed to be made up just for the sake of having a bad guy in this story. A redundant character.
Karyl
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookstore-finds, 2012
There's really not a whole lot to this novel. Even the "secrets," promised in the title, are easily figured out well before Garlock reveals them to us. Everything is so predictable, and even the writing is very elementary. I felt like I was watching a daytime movie on Lifetime. I can see how someone would enjoy this as a quick beach read, but it just wasn't for me.
JanetTronstad Author Tronstad
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced romance, set in the late 1930's -- a wonderful cast of characters in a small town that experience everything from a new roller rink to a tornado. There are two romances in the story -- a brother and sister both find their true loves. Revenge is the central theme of the book and it is skillfully woven into the story.
Deeanna
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was a couple of chapters into this book when I realized it was the 2nd book in a set. I debated waiting to read it until I could read the 1st book but I really didn't want to wait as I was quite interested in the characters. There were a couple of references to things that happened in the 1st book but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I would enjoy reading more books about these characters.
Suka
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Dorothy Garlock is always enjoyable, and that is why I decided to read this book. This one was just okay, not great, and certainly not as good as Come a Little Closer. It was a good story when I could get past some of the Harlequin romance-type language. I almost got a sugar high reading parts of it. This was not Garlock's best, but I wouldn't give up on her entirely.
  • Alma's Mail Order Husband (Texas Brides #1)
  • Brianna (Mail-Order Brides Club #4)
  • Love in the Rockies (McKinnie Mail Order Brides, #2)
  • Westward Dreams (Montana Mail Order Brides, #7)
  • Kate (Come By Chance Mail Order Brides #4)
  • Bride of the Wild
  • Gideon's Secondhand Bride (Six Brides for Six Gideons, #1)
  • Gold Rush Brides: Emmy
  • An Earl Like No Other
  • The Bride Price (An African Romance, #1)
  • Chicago's Headmistress
  • Emerald Desire (The Emerald Trilogy #1)
  • The Captive
  • GRINGA - In the Clutches of a Ruthless Drug-Lord (#4)
  • The Spellbound Spirit (The Curious Collectibles #2)
  • Neverland Academy
  • Tennessee Waltz (Homespun Hearts #1)
  • The High Sheriff of Huntingdon
Dorothy Garlock was a best-selling American author of over 60 historical romance novels, most of them set in the American West. More than 20 million copies of her books are in print, in 18 languages. Her books have been on the New York Times best seller list seven times. She was named one of the 10 most popular writers of women's fiction four years in a row, from 1985-1988. In 1997, she was awarde ...more

Tucker Family (3 books)
  • Stay a Little Longer (Tucker Family, #1)
  • Come a Little Closer (Tucker Family, #3)
“It was the strangest sensation, fallin' in love. 'Bout the only thing I compare it to would be jumpin' off a big cliff. Once you're past the edge, there ain't no particular reason to be graspin' for a line a safety. You just keep on fallin' anyhow, so you might as well enjoy it the whole way down.” 10 likes
“She wasn't certain of exactly what they had together; she doubted Owen knew, either; but whatever it was, she desperately wanted to hold on to it. They were only at the beginning of what they could become together; if she could help it, she would do anything that she could to keep it from ending.” 2 likes