Start by marking “The Developing Person Through the Life Span” as Want to Read:
The Developing Person Through the Life Span

The Developing Person Through the Life Span

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  399 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Kathleen Stassen Berger's The Developing Person Through the Life Span is a perennial bestseller instructors depend upon for an authoritative portrait of the field. Enhanced with carefully crafted learning tools, its warm narrative style and emphasis on diverse lives and universal themes that speak directly to students.

With this new edition, that tradition is brought forwar
Hardcover
Published March 26th 2004 by Worth Publishers (first published August 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Developing Person Through the Life Span, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Developing Person Through the Life Span

Daniel
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who binds hardcover books
Recommended to Daniel by: Julia Murphy (my PY203 teacher)
Shelves: non-fiction
I read a good deal of this book for PY203 Human Growth and Development at Montgomery College, as a prerequisite for Nursing school.

The content of the book is geniunely interesting because it involves all of us. It is how we live and why we are the way we are at various chronological and developmental times. The content contained a ridiculous amount of in-paragraph sources, plenty of relevant anecdotes to ensure you could relate to the text, and well organized information.

The edition of the book
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uni-reads
I read this book for my developmental psychology class. The book was really enjoyable to read and I actually didn't mind sitting down for a while with the book to read. I liked the authors writing style, because normally text books are bland and not fun to read, but this one was very entertaining.
Teo 2050
Contents:
(view spoiler)
Kristen
I read this for Lifespan Psychology. It is interesting and engaging textbook. Sometimes I felt she was off on tangent that did't really pertain to the stage of development especially in adulthood and late adulthood. I hate reading textbooks cover to cover but this one was doable.
Crystal
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This should be mandatory reading for all high school students. This was part of my college reading material for my developmental psychology class, and although it was a lot of info to take in each week, I learned a lot. So much of the information covered would help everyone. I liked how each stage of life was divided into three sections: Cognitive, biosocial, and psychosocial. It made it easier to understand rather than having everything blended together. Wish everyone would read this book. I wi ...more
Maera
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I had to read this textbook basically from cover to cover for a class. While there were quite a few parts that made me think "Huh. That's interesting," it's clear the author has a strong bias not n favor of the generation of people who are most likely to be reading her book (aka traditional college students).
Julie
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the text used for my psychology class, "Human Development Over the Lifespan", at McHenry County College. I thoroughly enjoyed learning the material and became easily immersed in each life stage. The author writes in a very engaging way including personal anecdotes. She evidently loves her subject and invites her readers to join her in marveling at the diversity of the human lifespan.
Broodingferret
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked how this book was structured. Dividing the lifespan up into 7 parts and then subdividing each part into the three major categories of development kept each given section a readable length and made the concepts easier to understand. Well written and approachable, anyone interested in studying human development should read this book.
Dawn
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This was a rather interesting text book on why humans do the things that they do. The chapters on toddler and child development were particularly interesting to me, and I feel that I have a deeper insight into how they function. I did think that the author, a mother of four children, was slightly biased, but this did not come across too strongly.
Brandi
Jun 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had to read this through adolescence for my Psychology of Child & Adolescent Development class. I did not like the author's style or choice of presentation. I am beyond glad that I won't need to use this book again.
Lauren Mccusker
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book for years (an earlier edition than the one listed here) and it's continually fascinating. I loved it as a teenager and now I enjoy reading all the parts on child development as a parent (particularly around my children's birthdays).
Jay Brand
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great textbook/reference/resource introducing & reviewing the massive scientific literature on human development, spanning developmental psychology, social anthropology, sociology, biology & genetics, with socio-cultural & sociopolitical perspectives.
Leah
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, I took a Developmental Psychology class and this was required reading.
I found physiology quite interesting, however I do not believe a lot of what was discussed in this book.
Erin
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Interesting, but the language came off as a little bit stuffy & arrogant. I felt like the author was sometimes more interested in giving credit to who came up with which theory than on the theory itself.
Jacquelyn Smith
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Class is over waiting on my grade
Maren
Fun fun! Growth and Human Development class!
Andi
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A required textbook for a human development course. Informative and fairly engaging for a text.
Nami
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this book right now for a class and I'm really enjoying it, it's so easy to understand, comprehensive, and helpful! Highly recommended!
Kara
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
actually read 7th edition but it's not listed.
Michelle
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college-books
Informative. Enjoyed the way the book is organized
Tonny
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Incredibly relevant information, I feel I will be a better father because if this class
Ammie
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting....wish I could just read it instead of read and write....read and write...read and write...aaagghhh!
Becki
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: text-books
I geez... 6 more chapters and one final exam to go and I'M DONE!
Brittany Rexroat
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
The first textbook I've ever read cover-to-cover. It will probably also be the only textbook I ever read cover-to-cover.
Jennifer Kronk
Another text book that is actually interesting to read. It is big and heavy but the writing is very intelligent and the images are fun and diverse, reflecting the world that it is talking about.
Ann
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm in my 5th week of Psychology 200, and enjoying it. Finished the class with added appreciation for all the stages in our lives, from the growth of my children to the lives of my parents.
Whitney Oaks
Requirement for my Psychology class. It was interesting, but I will definitely be selling it back.
Britney
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I didn't read every single chapter, but I did read most of them.
Kelly
  • Telling Details
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • See Jane Win: The Rimm Report On How 1,000 Girls Became Successful Women
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times, and More
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Japanese Grammar