Start by marking “Ramona's World CD” as Want to Read:
Ramona's World CD

Ramona's World CD

(Ramona Quimby #8)

Newbery Medal–winning author Beverly Cleary's final book in the Ramona series has all of the warmth, realism, and humor of its predecessors.

Ramona Quimby can't wait to start fourth grade. With a new baby sister to brag about, new calluses to show off, and a new best friend to get to know, everything's going to be great!

Or is it? When Ramona's spelling is atrocious, her tea
Audio CD, 3 pages
Published November 2nd 2010 by HarperFestival (first published August 25th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona's World CD, please sign up.
Haelyn If you ever eat peas, think of me before you sneeze. Signed, Yard Ape President.

Michelle
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You guys, Beverly Cleary is 98 and still alive, and I realize it's horribly selfish of me to try to take up her remaining years, but do you think we can convince her to write another Ramona book? Because I've checked that illustrator Alan Tiegreen is also still alive, so I really think this should happen.

In this last(?) Quimby adventure, we have: new baby Roberta and Ramona's interactions with her, from cleaning up rejected peas to babysitting for 15 minutes, omg; a new (girl!) best friend for R
Jane
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last of the Ramona series. Ramona's World, finds Ramona starting fourth grade. She is exited about telling her class about her new baby sister, Roberta.
I enjoyed this book, but it also made me sad, because I knew it was the last. I always find myself wondering, what comes next. I want to continue to follow Ramona, watch as she tackles high school. I know writer's have to know when to stop, and the book's were for younger readers, but I still can't help wondering, what happens to Ram
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
When my son complained that he had nothing to read, I grabbed a copy if all of the Ramona books frim the library, even though he is a little old for them, because he wasn't interested a couple of years ago. This time, he inhaled the books and said they were really fun amd easy (as long as I don't tell anyone he liked them....um, whoops?), and as I was gathering them to take back, noticed this book, which looked unfamiliar. Sure enough, written in 1999, many many years past my own Beverly Cleary ...more
Amy Kannel
The boys and I were sad to end the Ramona series. I don't think this one is quite as funny and delightful as Ramona's earlier years, but it's still charming and poignant. And as big brothers to a toddler, my boys could relate to Ramona's big sister adoration/exasperation of baby Roberta :)

(As always, I think Stockard Channing's narration is the only way to experience Ramona.)
Jen
Aug 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this isn't my favorite in the Ramona series, it was certainly enjoyable. Ellie and I are both very sad that we're all done with "Mona". Hopefully we can reread them in a few years time. :)
Katie Fowler
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the library this weekend I happened to discover that there was one lone Ramona book that I had not read, and I scooped it up and read the whole thing on a rainy afternoon. Beverly Cleary was 83 years old when she wrote this, but it's amazing how she could still perfectly get inside the head of a 9-year-old. Good plot, true to the series and tweaked with a few modern touches juuuust enough to be credible. Even though this came out in 1999, I didn't want Beezus to be listening to Britney Spears ...more
Shiloah
It’s a little bittersweet to finish this series again. This time, I read it with my Meredith. We started when she was 8 and is now 13. We’ve enjoyed our read-aloud time together. Now, we’ll start another series.
Whitney
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleary
Is this the last Ramona book in the series? I think so. She is in 4th grade and growing up. Life is not easy but she is accustomed to this. Bittersweet is how I feel. It's like saying goodbye.
Nadine Keels
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Ramona Quimby isn’t far from turning “zeroteen” years old. She’s now in fourth grade, makes a new best friend, and gets to spend time being the big sister for a change, at home. (Well, “a” big sister, anyway.) But as always, her adventures this year will come with their share of challenges in Ramona’s World by author Beverly Cleary.

So, here we are. I’ve finally read the belated conclusion to the Ramona Quimby series, after first meeting Ramona back when I was six. I’ll admit this last book
Nathan Sizemore
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
93/100

Beverly Cleary is a masterful writer and I feel like the Ramona books are her masterpiece. Man, do I love these books. I love how unhurried she is as she describes the elements of Ramona's world: her little aspirations, difficulties and victories. They seem epic in scale in Cleary's careful rendering. Ramona and Yard Ape forever!

Heidi Van ry
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My seven year old daughter and I are both so sad our journey through the Ramona series has come to an end! She asked me if Beverly Cleary will be adding to the series. I told her unlikely since I think she is 101 now! But wow what wonderful books.
Aleta
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
So sad that it's over:(
Ginnie
Ramona is Potentially Grown Up.

Aw, Yard Ape!
Aaliayah
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramona starts the fourth grade. She thinks it will be the best year of her life. She can show off her yucky calluses. The boy who she calls Yard-Ape sits across from her and she has a big crush on him. Her teacher Mrs.Kemp loves her writing because it's creative. She has a little sister named Roberta and a bigger sister named Beatrice. Most of all she has a new best friend. She just wanted to fit in with the other students in her fourth grade class There's no one like Ramona.

My favorite part i
Catherine
Although this final Ramona book was written 15 years after the previous installment, it's much truer to the feel of the original series than Ramona Forever. It's much more Ramona-centric, with the now 4th grader meeting a new best friend, getting herself in and out of various scrapes, and finally developing a little sympathy for the super-annoying, always-perfect Susan.

Reading the series to my sons, I'm glad this was the conclusion to the series and not the book that concluded the series when I
Mandy
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, american, childrens
As one of Beverly Cleary's biggest fans, I had to read the last installment of the Ramona series, which was released in 1999. Oh Ramona. Still getting up to the same old hijinks. The book reminded me of just how sweet, but not precious, Ramona's world is. And does anyone besides the Quimby family say "cross" to mean angry?
Blaire Malkin
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These were wonderful to read together with my son. Love the way Cleary handles the day-to-day issues that come up in families,with friends, and at school. She gets what matters to kids and the way they think. Also - love that the friendly competition among the 9 year old girls was about who had the toughest calluses. Ramona forever!
Brandi
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter read this for her school book report, and I thought I'd read it too because it was one of the few Ramona books I hadn't read as a kid. Ramona was still as lovable and quirky as ever, even as a growing-up fourth grader. How can you not love Ramona?
Emily
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary is marvelous at getting inside a child's mind at every stage. As a child, I could really identify with Ramona. Now, listening to this on audio with my own 8 and 9 year-olds, it was still a joy.

One aspect I wish Cleary had omitted was the allusion to the General Hospital soap opera and Ramona's observing the extramarital affair the doctor was having with a nurse. This was completely unnecessary in a children's book and very uncharacteristic of Cleary and her work.

Otherwise, this
unknown
I hadn't read this one before reading it to my daughter, and I was interested to see where it would leave Romana's dad's career, but it wasn't even mentioned! I guess Cleary forgot about that plot thread in the decade+ between books.

Ah well. I still love Ramona.
Caitlin
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robert-reads
I’m not sure what this says about me, but I’m pretty sure this was my favorite read of 2018. Ramona is the essence of childhood. ❤ ...more
Erika
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Read to my students
J
The end of a series and I have to say my opinion or Ramona underwent a sea change from book 1 to book 8. I started the series finding the titular character a little Satan and came to love her dearly.
Tiffany Spencer
Ramona's World
PLOT: Ramona's fourth-grade journey includes' a new obsessive about spelling teacher, a new crush, a new best friend, a new adorable little sister, and new Opportunites to prove that she's no longer "the pest".

MY THOUGHTS
*I'm not liking Mrs. Meachen too much either. She could have answered Ramona's question without throwing her spelling mistakes in her face. That was kind of mean. I don't think teachers are supposed to call kids out like that. Mrs. Binney wouldn't have.
*She wants
Michelle
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ramona books were some of my absolute favorites when I was growing up. It has been fun sharing them with my two boys, ages 5 and 8 over the past year. Ramona's World was published when I was in high school, so this was a new book for both me and my boys. Overall I think this book stays true to the series. It was enjoyable and fun, and in many ways just like the Ramona I remembered. Ramona is growing and changing (wanting a girlfriend, starting to crush on boys a little, wanting to babysit) b ...more
Michael
Growing up, I was a huge fan of the Ramona series, reading each one of them multiple times. (I swear I still have large chunks of several of them memorized and could recite them if you want).

Years later, grown up and looking for books to share with my niece, I came back to Ramona, only to discover that Cleary had written a new novel about Ramona during my time away. Curious, I picked it up (actually did the audio version), both eager to read it and worried that series might not live up to my fon
Melanie
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona’s World Beverly Cleary

“Ramona took a deep breath. ‘I broke the ceiling. I broke the ceiling to smithereens and it’s going to cost a bazillion dollars to fix and it fell all over the dining room and made a terrible mess, so I decided not to stay for dinner.’” This quote from the book Ramona’s World by Beverly Cleary shows why I kept the pages turning.

Ten-year-old Ramona Quimby is starting fourth grade at a new school. Ramona is very excited about the new school year until something happen
george
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, the last of the Ramona books. How I'll miss this pint-sized, spunky heroine. I have such fond memories of reading the Ramona books when I was a little girl. I'd never read this one since it was published when I was 21 and I wasn't quite interested in juvenile lit at the time. However, now it is so nice to be able to revisit and say goodbye to the girl who is so much like me when I was a child. Like the later Ramona books, this one didn't quite entertain me as much as the early books. Possibl ...more
Tawanda
Romona's World is an audiobook. It is a intermediate read.This book is about a girl who is looking forward to going to the fourth grade. She has a new baby sisiter, teachers are praising her writing and she has a new best friend named Daisy. Romona later finds out that the fourth grade is harder than she could imagine. She has to improve her spelling and be a role model to her little sister. Plus she is trying to live up to her older sisters reputation. She later learns that being who she is is ...more
Stacy Wines
I enjoyed this book. It took me back to memories of a simpler time when I was a child; however, as a child my overactive imagination would tend to get the best of me. This is the case with Ramona as well.

Ramona tends to exaggerate things and make them worse than what they really are. Ramona is jealous over her baby sister, envious of her older sister, and frustrated with her teacher. She feels her parents never have time for her. Cleary addresses the importance of friendship through Ramona and
Reading Log #14 2 11 Jan 04, 2013 05:45PM
cool 2 17 Jun 08, 2011 08:37AM

• Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Starting with Alice (Alice Prequels, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Bicycle Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #15)
  • Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Judy Moody Declares Independence (Judy Moody #6)
  • Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy (Junie B. Jones, #12)
  • Still Just Grace (Just Grace, #2)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
“If she can't spell, why is she a librarian? Librarians should know how to spell.” 218 likes
“Daisy picked up the large, limp cat that was almost too heavy for her. “This is Clawed,” she said. “C-l-a-w-e-d,” she spelled. “Not like a man’s name. My brother named him Clawed because he had been clawed by another cat when he found him hiding in a gutter. Daddy says he hopes Jeremy never finds a wounded skunk.” 1 likes