Start by marking “Little Kids First Big Book of Animals (National Geographic Kids)” as Want to Read:
Little Kids First Big Book of Animals (National Geographic Kids)

Little Kids First Big Book of Animals

(National Geographic Little Kids First Big Books)

The National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Animals is an adorable animal reference sure to be welcomed by parents and librarians alike. Filled with fluffy and scaly creatures big and small, this appealing book introduces the youngest explorers to the world of wildlife, using a child-friendly format inspired by the blockbuster National Geographic Little Kids maga ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Kids First Big Book of Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Kids First Big Book of Animals

Kristi
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
a little advanced for a two year old but she loved looking at and naming the animals. a book she can grow with.
The Library Lady
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
"Little kids" is a misnomer for those of us who think that 2-3 year olds are "little kids" and kids big enough to read this will not like to be called little kids. None the less, this is a great title--sturdy binding, big color photos and lots of interesting information about animals kids love written in large text in a simple style. Great for browsing.
Jess
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
July 2017 - totally fascinating for both of us. It's divided up by habitat type (forest, ocean, desert, etc.) with two spreads per animal. There's a quick fact box for each, then a narrative that takes each animal from birth into maturity. The focus on baby animals/family groups is perfect for a preschool/early elementary audience, and there's always a suggested question or two for the child reading that relates something about the animal to their own life. We read it in chunks over a few nights ...more
Milan Žila
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book to start your child's library. I completely ignored the recommended age which is 4-8 years and started reading this with my daughter since she was 18 months.
The pictures are the best part of this book which means you can enjoy this book just by pointing at the pictures and naming all the animals and their activities. She learned so much and I learned some trivia along the way.
After she learned all the pictures, I started to read some of the facts while rereading this book.
And later,
Madison Cullitan
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Informational/Non-fiction
Grade Level(s): PK-2nd Grade
Unique Feature: This book give all kinds of facts about different animals from all over the world, while also showing real life pictures. The intreating facts that go along with each different animal make real life connections that children would understand.
Shannon Leal
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars
Genre: Informational
A unique feature about this book, besides the wide variety of animals that it was able to give information on, is the amazing pictures. Every picture in the entire book is so real. They really capture your attention when even if you were simply flipping through.

Grades: K-2
Date Completed: November 15
Jessica Simmons
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good and informative book! It showed a lot of animals and told a lot of information that I didn't even know before. This would be a good book to incorporate in your classroom to learn about the animals.
Anser
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Interesting book
Julie
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful photos, easy to understand, and no evolution.
دعاء الدريس
جميع كتب ناشينال جيوغرافيك ممتازة، ابحث عن المواضيع التي تهم طفلك
Andie Siegel
Title: National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Animals
Author: Catherine D. Hughes
Illustrator:
Genre: Photographic Essay
Theme(s): Animals, Photography, Wildlife, Scenery
Opening line/sentence: “Grasses are the main plants that grow in grasslands: There are not many trees here.”
Brief Book Summary: This book takes a glance at many different animal species found in the wild. Divided by their biomes, the book lists and gives facts about the animals and the places where they are found in the
Emma
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I love the series of the National Geographic for kids. The pictures are great and the information provided was perfect level for younger readers.
Claire
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this to my 7 year old. A lot of interesting facts. Definitely could have had more information, but we enjoyed it.
Mati
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
good resource for little kids.
Lauren Rataj
Title of Item in APA Citation: National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Animals. (2010). Washington, D.C. : National Geographic.

Citation By: Lauren Rataj

Reference Type: Encyclopedia

Call Number: Ref 591

Brief Description: This resource contains information on over 200 animals for student research.

Content/Scope: This encyclopedia is targeted for students’ in ages 4-8 years old. It provides information on animals and their habitats as well as helps children become familiar with nonfiction
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This is a basic but thorough introduction to many popular animals, for young children. It's long, so it probably won't hold the attention of very young children for the whole book, but they can still enjoy looking at the many photographs. It's organized into sections based on the environment in which the animals live: grasslands, forests, deserts, oceans, and polar; rather than by type of animal. At the end, there is a map that is color-coded to help show where in the world the animals live.

Each
Becky B
This picture book of animals is arranged by general habitat. For each animal highlighted, fun facts are provided about the social structures, appearance, and activities of the animals. General characteristics are listed for each one and put in terms that kids can understand, especially for size (instead of inches, it will say about as tall as this book or as long as two 4 year old kids laying down in a row). The back of the book includes further activity ideas for parents and a map showing the c ...more
Laura Watson
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that has information about all sorts of animals and sea creatures. The book is divided into grassland, desert, water etc. They have a lot of really great pictures in this book as well. There is a lot of fun and simple information for kids.

This is a book that provides information about all kinds of animals.

This book could be used in a variety of ways. one-it is a teacher. Students can learn all sorts of things about animals. they can be inspired to learn because the picture
M.M. Hudson
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book reviews all about different animals and the way they live. The photos are vibrant and sweet. Great information throughout the book.

As the book I received was a "put me in the story" book, I personalized it to include my grandson in the book. This one talks mainly about how the babies of each animal is born and their relationship with their parents. I love it!

These books are just awesome and well worth getting them for your child or grandchild. I give this book 5 stars.

Disclosure: I rec
Dianna
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is divided into several sections: grassland, ocean, desert, forest, and polar. Several animals are highlighted in each section. Although it took us awhile to get through this fairly long book, my son was very interested. The design was a little loud for my taste but I think it would appeal to kids. The text in this book is large, making it good for beginning readers. Each time we got to one of the five words my son knows, I pointed to it and he could tell me what it was. He's been talk ...more
Abby White
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book! I love animals and this is an amazing way to share that love with kids. This book has short blurbs about each animal with lots of vivid pictures. Kids enjoy to look at the diagrams showing how big the animal is compared to a human, and to see where in the world it lives. The beauty of this book is that you can read it straight through, or you can skip around to learn about animals in a wide verity of habitats. Very interesting book and a great addition to any library for ch ...more
Cathy
The National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Animals is an adorable animal reference book. Filled with fluffy and scaly creatures big and small, this appealing book introduces the youngest explorers to the world of wildlife, using a child-friendly format inspired by the blockbuster National Geographic Little Kids magazine.

Very enjoyable with easy enough to read but facts enough to study and discuss. Great pictures
Heather
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books, inv
This is a fun book to read with my three-year-old daughter. As would be expected, the pictures are great. The animal facts included are interesting and geared toward young children (e.g., a cheetah covers the length of six four year olds lined up from head to toe in one bound). I just wish fewer pages had been devoted to some of the animals so more animals could have been covered.
Children's Literature Project
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
DRA Level 24.

This book explores different animals located in the grasslands,oceans, deserts, forests, and arctics of the world. The pictures are amazing! Hughes gives basic and little known information about the animals.

This book is great for grades K-3 and for a unit of different types of animals.
Summer Galindo
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has many pictures and facts on the numerous animals within the book. This is a great way to expose children to the different creatures and places within the world that they may not have heard or seen, yet.
Brionna Barcolleh
National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Animals is an easy non fiction read for young readers. It helps students learn about various animals, and it is a great way to integrate science through literature.
Holly
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
my 5 year old LOVES this. Perfect animal book w/lots of pics and information about baby animals.

Perfectly on a small child's level and catered to their animal curiosities.
Yingyi
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
适合一年级。教完海洋陆地等生活栖息环境后教里面的动物。
Peacegal
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nicely-presented, colorful "wildlife ed" book in the tradition of Ranger Rick. Animals are depicted and discussed in the context of their natural habitats.
Susan
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This is a great book. My little fellow is a reluctant reader and he was excited to explore this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • First Big Book of Why (National Geographic Little Kids)
  • Chameleon, Chameleon
  • Wild Animals of the North
  • Growing Patterns: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature
  • We Dig Worms!: TOON Level 1
  • Mr. Mischief

National Geographic Little Kids First Big Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Space (National Geographic Kids)
  • First Big Book of Why (National Geographic Little Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of the Ocean (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of the World (National Geographic Readers)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Bugs (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Who (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Birds (National Geographic Kids)
  • National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book Collector's Set
  • Little Kids First Big Book of How (National Geographic Kids)