Start by marking “The Secret Elephants: The Rediscovery of the World's Most Southerly Elephants” as Want to Read:
The Secret Elephants: The Rediscovery of the World's Most Southerly Elephants

The Secret Elephants: The Rediscovery of the World's Most Southerly Elephants

Please visit the author's website at www.garethpatterson.com."The elephants of South Africa's Knysna forest have long been the subject of mystery and conjecture. Over the years, they have taken on an almost mythical quality, with many doubting whether they existed at all. In 1994, the local forestry department claimed there was only one surviving Knysna elephant, the seldo ...more
Published July 14th 2010 by Penguin Global

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Elephants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Elephants

Start your review of The Secret Elephants: The Rediscovery of the World's Most Southerly Elephants
Farmerlaura
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
Interesting story about the (re)discovery of these elephants that had been pushed deep into the forest in Knysna at the southern tip of South Africa. Some interesting bits on the endemic flora of the area and elephants eating medicinal mushrooms. Good bibliography.
Bloss ♡
I bought this book because the foreword was by Daphne Sheldrick. I admit I shared her misgivings about publicizing an account about these secretive elephants.

This is an interesting read. The beginning about the history of the Knysna elephants was really upsetting and it's appalling what happened to elephants all across South Africa in those dark times.

There was a good deal of non-elephant related tangents in the book about flora and fauna alike.

I found it odd that the author didn't offer a st
Phillipa
I did quite enjoy this book, although I did get a little frustrated with the author and the constant "I just had a feeling" explanation of things.

Regardless of how annoying that was, it is still and amazing and incredible story because these elephants are both amazing and incredible. It's quite a wonderful thought that they have survived in spite of all the humans who have tried to get rid of them. It makes me very happy that they didn't succeed :)
Amanda Hen
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I like this book . However, there are sections that feel more like "bird walks" than pertaining to the story. Essentially, it feels like filler to meet a page requirement. I really enjoyed the accounts and information about the elephants. I found it interesting and exciting. Overall, I recommend it with the possibility that you may want to skim some pages here and there.
Karen Cramer
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy knowing that there are good people out there trying to help animals that other humans have tried to distroy.
Sharonh