Start by marking “The Kraken Wakes” as Want to Read:
The Kraken Wakes

The Kraken Wakes

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  5,256 Ratings  ·  345 Reviews
Ships are sinking for no apparent reason, carrying hundreds to a dark underwater grave. Strange fireballs race through the sky above the deepest trenches of the oceans. Something is about to show itself, something terrible and alien, a force capable of causing global catastrophe.
Published 1970 by Penguin (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Kraken Wakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kraken Wakes

Apatt
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, pre-80s-sf
Every time I review a John Wyndham I can not resist defending him against the “Cosy Catastrophe” label foisted upon him by Brian Aldiss. The allegation is that Wyndham tends to write books where the middle class white protagonist is not much inconvenienced by the catastrophe affecting the general populace. He just holes up somewhere nice, smoking his cigars until it is all over. I have always felt this is unfair as his central characters get into plenty of scrapes in the books I read.

Having sai
Bettie☯
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC Radio Listeners
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Laura

Description: John Wyndham's science fiction novel adapted by Val McDermid. Performed with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra in a terrifying modern retelling of alien invasion and global flooding. Starring Tamsin Greig, Paul Higgins and Richard Harrington.

Jonathan

The Kraken Wakes is probably the most different of John Wyndham's still read novels. Which perhaps helped me to recognise what makes him stand out in the field of sci-fi. He's a brilliant combiner of elements of both horror and sci-fi to create a chillingly realistic novels with intelligent thoughts and ideas behind them. While he may take inspiration from Verne and Wells (he refers to them within his actual novels in clever metalinguistic intertextual devices) he writes works which are original
Manny
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
There's a law of nature, still waiting to be discovered, which states that the probability of a tune or a bit of bad poetry getting stuck in your head is in inverse proportion to the quality of the piece in question. I read this book almost 40 years ago, and every now and then the following piece of doggerel resurfaces and annoys my conscious mind:
Oh I'm burning my brains in the back room
Almost setting my cortex alight
To find a new thing to go crack-boom
And blow up a xenobathite
Isn't it just h
Tony
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again
Once again, a lesson in down-beat sci-fi writing. Something lands on Earth from space, crashing into the depths of the oceans and 'doing something we can't see' but can only imagine.

We drop nukes on them and they come up to take us, bit by bit. The sea-levels rise...and we're probably doomed!

Sound familiar?

WAR OF THE WORLDS meets AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH...and its 50+ years old.

Corking and grown-up. My favourite Wyndham novel, but only by a tickle over DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS
Simon
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
It was Brian Aldiss that accused John Wyndham of writing "cosy catastrophes" but there is nothing cosy about the catastrophe depicted here.

Some form of alien beings arrive from space and settle in our deepest oceans and, even though they cannot exist in the low pressure environment of the surface and we can't exist in their high pressure environment at the bottom of the oceans, it soon becomes clear that the two cannot cohabit the earth and that one of us must go.

I say it becomes clear but as fa
From BBC Radio 4 - Dangerous Visions:

The floods have recently devastated parts of Britain. But what if the flood waters never subsided? What if an apparent meteor shower was actually the invasion fleet of an alien race, incubating in the ocean deeps until they
Reynard
Buon racconto sul tema dell'invasione aliena. Il libro è ben scritto, Wyndham sa creare la giusta atmosfera di crescente angoscia causata da una lenta invasione, ma il finale non mi ha dato quel quid in più che mi aspettavo dall'autore del Giorno dei Trifidi.
Nota a margine: trovo il titolo originale (The Kraken Wakes) particolarmente evocativo.
David Sarkies
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Another John Wyndham invasion story
28 February 2013

Have you ever read a couple of books by an author that are simply so brilliant that whenever you see a book written by that author you grab it expecting that it will be brilliant as well, and then when you read it it just gets nowhere near your expectations? That happened to me with this book. It is not that it is a bad book, by no means, but after reading Day of the Triffids and The Chrysalids, I had such a high expectation with John Wyndham's
Vheissu
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-horror
WARNING! THIS REVIEW MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS!

John Wyndham’s “The Kraken Wakes” is a well-written, rip-roaring monster story that is both prescient and remarkably relevant to the present world situation, nearly sixty years after its publication.

I have been keenly fond of the filmed adaptation of “The Day of the Triffids” since its original theatrical release. Only years later did I realize it was based on a Wyndham novel; it is next on my “to read” list. I was even less aware of “The Kraken Wakes”

What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Dystopian: London, flood, journalists, country house [s] 15 37 Jan 20, 2017 05:13PM
John Wyndham/John Benyon Harris 8 58 May 05, 2015 01:43AM
  • Davy
  • Colossus
  • Search the Sky
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Black Easter (After Such Knowledge, #2)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 2: Second Variety
  • Hawksbill Station
  • The Werewolf Principle
John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris was the son of a barrister. After trying a number of careers, including farming, law, commercial art and advertising, he started writing short stories in 1925. After serving in the civil Service and the Army during the war, he went back to writing. Adopting the name John Wyndham, he started writing a form of science fiction that he called 'logical fantasy'. ...more
More about John Wyndham...
“Darling, whose book is this to be?"

"Ostensibly yours, my sweet"

"I see -- rather like my life since I met you?"

"Yes darling”