Start by marking “Coaching the Artist Within: Advice for Writers, Actors, Visual Artists, and Musicians from America's Foremost Creativity Coach” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  278 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Creativity Coaching Essentials shows people how to become more effective creators by guiding them through 12 self-coaching lessons. Eric Maisel, a leading creativity coach, writes each lesson with a novelist's flair, as a narrative complete with examples, exercises, and questions to help readers explore and reflect on underlying issues that may be keeping them from pursuin ...more
Unknown Binding, 256 pages
Published February 1st 2010 by New World Library (first published January 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Coaching the Artist Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coaching the Artist Within

Harley
An excellent book about being your own self-coach. Eric Maisel shares 12 principles for living the creative life. Maisel has coached writers, artists, actors and other creative people. He shares stories from his coaching experience to illustrate his key points. Coaching is a very new field of endeavor and creative coaching is even newer. I recommend this book to anyone interested in coaching and/or creativity.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
R-Return with Strength
CENTER
Barbara Conelli
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Coaching The Artist Within is the first book by Eric Maisel I've ever read. Recently I've been very interested in the obstacles, challenges and bumps in the road that artists generally face, and I find this book fascinating.

The book is divided into twelve chapters. Every chapter deals with one creative roadblock, such as being centered, committed to the creative process, dealing with anxiety or planning your creative endeavors. In every chapter you find a personal story of one of author's client
Aberjhani
Jul 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Creative artists and those who love them.
Shelves: art
It turns out that Coaching the Artist Within by Eric Maisel is not the kind of book that you read, reflect on how much you enjoyed it, then stick it somewhere on a shelf of favorites. For writers, actors, artists, musicians, and others who are serious about their creative pursuits, it's the kind of book that you keep within reach to help you more fully understand the nature of what you're dealing with as a creative artist.

Too many who place themselves on the perilous path of some form of creati
Elizabeth
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading a number of books dealing with the themes tackled in COACHING THE ARTIST WITHIN: artist fears, doubts, anxiety, blocks, stalled projects, etc. Maisel's book is a wonderful addition to my growing keeper shelf of books to reconnect with when the creative life becomes too much to bear, when I wonder why I bother at all, and when I start to think I'd be better off making widgets on an assembly line.

Maisel addresses the issues all artists face with plenty of compassion, but he doesn
Rachel
Aug 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting creativity book. While I enjoyed reading it and did learn a number of new things, this was more theoretical than get-your-hands-dirty. Too many exercises involved journaling about the chapter topic, and the instructions for creating a life purpose statement were very shallow compared to other sources (Steve Pavlina comes to mind). On the other hand, I love (and now use) the CENTER mantra and I like his focus on living a meaning-driven life. This is worth a peek, although it isn't a l ...more
Lisa King
Eric Maisel is the foremost creativity coach out there and the core of his coaching is contained within the covers of this book. There are twelve skills that Mr. Maisel teaches us:

1. Becoming a Self-Coach
9. Becoming an Anxiety Expert
10. Planning and Doing
11. Upholding Dream
Darius, Let's Sandbox
Eric Maisel is the father of creativity coaching, a prominent thinker/commentator on the themes of creativity and its cultivation, also an author of over a dozen books. His book 'Coaching the Artist Within' is a useful and practical guide for both an experienced and an aspiring creative. It teaches how to coach yourself to discover your life's purpose, learn to create in the midst of chaos and handle such common creative life challenges as fear, doubt and procrastination.

My favourite chapters we
Sarah White
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric Maisel bills himself as the nation's foremost creativity coach and, in fact, the founder of the field. His books guide creative people who may be stalled out to discover what's holding them back and to do the work that needs to be done.

This book guides readers to do the work of a creativity coach for themselves, offering lessons and steps that need to be taken to become a person who creates passionately and purposefully. It takes a lot longer to do than the time it will take to read the bo
Djrmel
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Maisel has a pretty cool job, coaching and teaching people to coach writers, painters, actors and other creative types. He's written a lot of books about what stops us from creating, how to get deep down to the part of us that doesn't judge our work before we ever set pen to paper, and most importantly, that creation is Work. It's not magic, it's not a "either you have it or you don't" ability, and it's not easy. Coaching the Artist Within covers all the roadblocks, self made and external, that ...more
Elizabeth
I did not love this book but it certainly gave me something to chew on. It's quite interactive and I definitely did not follow the activities. The activities and advice are interspersed with stories of Eric's experiences as a creativity coach which I found pretty interesting, though at one point I had to set the book aside for quite a while and come back to it, because I was losing interest. I think if you truly need this book, it could be revolutionary, but I found that a lot of what he had to ...more
Tanja
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was reading this just before we left for Paris and didn't finish it but what I did read was GREAT. I plan to buy this book but instead bought another one by this author first.
Anyone that has a creative job or is a creative person would get a few tips from this book. This helps you get organized and help yourself.
This author's slogan should be "help me help you".
This book was seriously more helpful than therapy.
Therese Gilardi
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
eric's books are like a comforting word in the ear. having said that, the whisper here goes on a little too long, and i feel this book ends on an inappropriate note - it seems to disavow all of the previous chapters. but eric is still the father of creativity coaching, so i've got to give him a four.
Schmarr
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely helpful book. I learned so much about my personality type. I think so many others could benefit as well. Even though the title is, "Coaching the Artist Within" it's really geared to a person who is a creative thinker. Obviously the creative thinker audience is much larger than the artist audience.

Such an easy read. It was hard not to highlight the whole book!
Nancy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Songwriters, artists, writers - READ IT - use the "Creativity Tool Kit" to manage what you create and reach your goals for creating/practicing every day to get to be the best you can, manage anxiety about what you create and so on
Jen
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Not what I was expecting - I thought there'd be practical advice on how to be more productive, but it was very self-helpy: here are a bunch of ways you can psych yourself out of working, without even much advice on overcoming those challenges.
Jerry Hardesty
An interesting concept - being your own creative self-coach. I only gave it 3 stars as it contained a number of mental exercises (some using paper and pencil), and I sometimes feel these type of exercises ineffective.
Amanda Erickson
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got a LOT out of this book. It's already helped me out quite a bit not just in helping me stick with creative projects, but in helping me figure out what exactly I what to do with my life in general.

Highly recommended!
Nova Walsh
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this book very helpful in working through my own creative blocks and getting to work.
Bobby
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was not the book I hoped it would be. Maisel is a bit pretentious for my taste.
Bob
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful but mostly because I took a class with the author! Need to get motivated to do your art? Read this!
Marianne Mullen
Great book to break through self limiting beliefs and attitudes. Just create and make meaning!
Tabitha Beck
I like it--simple lessons that take awhile to really get into your head to make them stick...but nothing insurmountable...
David Corbet
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very inspiring read. Certainly a book to visit every few years to refresh the passion that it takes to live a life of creativity.
Annabel
A gestalt psychology approach. Good!
Connor
Aug 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just plain not-as-good-as The Artist's Way, and with some odd yoga exercises mixed in at random.
Miranda
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for all creatives and coaches.
Phoebe
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to read this, it sounds so inspiring! A rec from @Lolacolleen that she talked about at our writers' salon.
Chris
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a more "practical" and less "spiritual" approach to "getting things done" and yet there is alot of weight on "making meaning"

So overall i really liked it, though it felt sometimes like buttkicks =P
Mike
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read with interesting insights. Wasn't aware that creative coaching existed. Helpful thoughts on self-coaching.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Walking in this World: The Practical Art of Creativity
  • Writing Alone and with Others
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • The Writer's Book of Hope: Getting from Frustration to Publication
  • The Psychology of Creative Writing
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques For Dramatic Storytelling
  • The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life
  • On Writing Horror: A Handbook by the Horror Writers Association
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • Your Mythic Journey: Finding Meaning in Your Life Through Writing and Storytelling
  • Writers Dreaming: 26 Writers Talk About Their Dreams and the Creative Process
  • Take Joy: A Writer's Guide to Loving the Craft
  • Writing About Your Life: A Journey into the Past
  • Booklife: Strategies and Survival Tips for the 21st-Century Writer
  • How to Develop Your Personal Mission Statement
  • Jean Michel Basquiat
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Eric Maisel, Ph.D., is the author of more than 40 books in the areas of creativity, coaching, mental health, and cultural trends. He is a psychotherapist and creativity coach, and writes for Psychology Today and Professional Artist Magazine and presents workshops internationally.
More about Eric Maisel...
“If you wait for a better time to create, better than this very moment, if you wait until you feel settled, divinely inspired, perfectly centered, unburdened of your usual worries, or free of your own skin, forget about it. You will still be waiting tomorrow and the next day, wondering why you never managed to begin, wondering” 2 likes