Start by marking “The Angry Mountain” as Want to Read:
The Angry Mountain

The Angry Mountain

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Dick Farrell is a man haunted by his wartime memories of torture and fear - a time better forgotten. But past and present merge when a trip to Eastern Europe embroils him in the twilight world of the industrial spy. Farrell becomes a reluctant player in a lethal game as the hunt shifts from Czechoslovakia to southern Italy. And there, beneath the blazing summit of Vesuvius ...more
Paperback, 1058
Published 1952 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about The Angry Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angry Mountain

Debbie Zapata
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturday
I picked this book to read for three reasons.

1. I like Hammond Innes. I can rely on him for edge of your seat hold your breath action by a hero who is haunted by a past he has tried to forget but which eventually forces itself to be dealt with.

2. The title suits my mood of the moment.

3. This is one of the paperbacks that will fill a certain empty space in one section of my bookcase.

Now if those aren't practical reasons for reading a book, I don't know what are!

Besides that, this was the first
Nils Kammenhuber
Personally, I find this to be Innes' best book, or at least the best one of those I've read so far.
David Miller
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hammond Innes wrote a book a year in his prime: six months of travel and research, six months of writing. The attention to detail paid off in this fine thriller. The letter-perfect rendition of a man recovering from traumatic stress, and the awe-inspiring tale of escaping from a Mt. Vesuvius eruption are only the main highlights. I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to finish this one.
Doyle
Apr 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book farted in my mouth in the first chapter. It spent a few chapters trying to convince me that I was actually enjoying a nice ice cream sunday, but by about chapter 5 there was no doubt that the taste in my mouth was indeed fart.

The front cover makes promises that "she was beautiful and depraved..." and suggests some hilarious 1950's misogyny with an image of a naked woman covering herself on the cover. The text excerpt on the back cover is misleadingly pieced together from sentences in v
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hammond Innes (b1913-1998) was born in Horsham Sussex (I have been to Horsham!!) and was a great story teller. This story is gripping and tense. Innes saw active service in World War II and brings his experience to the narrative of the novel. This book was published in 1950 and the plot culminates with the explosion of Mount Vesuvius and was based on the author's own experience as he had witnessed an eruption of the same volcano. ""It was Pompeii over again. We knew what was going to happen, yet ...more
Alton Motobu
Not one of Innes's best. Reads like a 1950s men's pulp magazine story with hero caught in ridiculous situations involving sexy females. Would have made a great B movie in the 50s. The wackiest subplot involves a mule which the hero has befriended, and as they make their escape on an airplane, the hero refuses to go unless the mule is allowed on board. And this was not a comedic interlude; the mule had a pivotal role in the story. The author must have had a reason to involve a mule into the story ...more
David
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An adventure thriller set in the 50s, after World War II but prior to the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, of which said eruption happens to be the book's finale. The main character has to deal with his own demons as well as the enemies of his past as a simple trip ended up with him being embroiled in industrial espionage. I wasn't much impressed with this, but that could be due to the setting and my youth).
Algernon
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
a solid thriller from a master of the genre. It was a little slow in build-up, and the style is slightly dated, but when it got to the actual mountain getting angry, it became a gripping tale. Characters and plot are pretty standard fare.
Conclusion: a good enough choice for a holiday or for an airplane trip
Frank
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Frank by: my brother
Enjoyed it immensely!
Loved the suspense!
Another superb Hammond Innesmystery!
John Conrad
I really enjoyed a number of Hammond Innes books as a teenager.
Phillip Smith
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow start but soon had me hooked. First Hammond Innes book I've read, will be looking out for more.
Keith Nixon
Jun 15, 2014
Martin Brown
Dec 29, 2012
Colin Greenland
rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2016
Feb 23, 2014
Philip Cantrell
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ralph Hammond Innes was an English novelist who wrote over 30 novels, as well as children's and travel books.He was awarded a C.B.E. (Commander, Order of the British Empire) in 1978. The World Mystery Convention honoured Innes with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Bouchercon XXIV awards in Omaha, Nebraska, Oct, 1993.

Innes was born in Horsham, Sussex, and educated at the Cranbrook School in Kent
More about Hammond Innes...