Start by marking “Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)” as Want to Read:
Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)

Don't Bargain with the Devil (School For Heiresses #5)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,341 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
The future of Charlotte Harris's finishing school is in jeopardy when a charming Spaniard -- world-famous magician Diego Montalvo -- arrives to turn the bordering estate into a scandalous pleasure garden.

Valiantly ignoring his wicked flirtations, outspoken Lucinda Seton vows to derail his plans and save the school, unaware that Diego's true mission is to spirit the long-lo
Published (first published May 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Bargain with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Bargain with the Devil

ATron
I'm going to say 2.5* on this one for me... which says a lot because I'm a notorious easy 4* review. I don't know, I found myself at page 326 of 384 and still didn't feel terribly invested in this H/h. The author may not have employed the dreaded BIG MISUNDERSTANDING, but the book seemed rife with a lot of little misunderstandings and/or miscommunication/lack of good communication regarding feelings... At 95% complete (yep, a kindle read), the H/h were STILL trying to determine if there was to b ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
"Don't Bargain With the Devil" is the sixth book in Sabrina Jeffries 'School for Heiresses' series. This time we get the story of Lucinda, one of the former students but now stepping in as a teacher to help out the owner. This is a tale filled with Jeffries' humor, sensuality, and the search for a missing heiress.

Lucinda Seton is furious, hurt and furious. The man she thought was going to propose DID come up with a proposal...but not for marriage! Well, she'll show him! Her Spanish blood doesn't
Robin
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diego Montalvo is searching for the long lost granddaughter of a Spanish Marques. He knows she was kidnapped by her nanny at the age of four, she is twenty years old, and she has a birthmark on her thigh. Diego's search leads him to Lucinda Seton, a teacher at Mrs. Harris' Finishing School. To get close to the school, Diego moves in next door and tells everyone he will be opening a pleasure garden. Lucy is incensed when she learns this information. The business will hurt the school. This gives t ...more
Juliana Philippa
Don't Bargain with the Devil is a wonderful read - I rushed out to buy it this afternoon and didn't put it down until I had finished! If you haven't read all (or any) of the other "School for Heiresses" books don't worry because this book can be read alone - though many of the characters from previous ones do reappear, so that's something to look forward to if you have. I myself only read the first book, Never Seduce a Scoundrel, yesterday and am looking forward to catching up on the other ones ...more
Heather
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bored-now
The unhappy truth is that Georgette Heyer has completely ruined my ability to read other regencies. In the past, I would have read this book and I wouldn't have thought it was good, exactly, but I would have thought it was fun and finished it. And now I just can't. My little finger has more historical accuracy that DBwtD -- although I would like to point out that it does feature a headless heroine on the cover, so at the very least I can add it to my collection.

In short: a girl is orphaned in Sp
Shelly
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lexie
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I originally began this I wasn't so certain I'd like Lucy. She seemed too impulsive and reckless in her feelings. Then also her 'love' was such a jerk I worried for her common sense. It's one thing if the man is a jerk to the heroine, but is secretly doing so for her own good, or out of a twisted sense of revenge or because he was hurt in the past--pretty much any reason would assauge my irritation, but for money? Really? I was ready to thwap him upside the head!

Luckily the jerk wasn't the
Nisha
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the author's note. It made me reimagine Diego as Rodrigo Santoro. yummy.

Anyway, I was a bit skeptical about starting book 5, mostly because it had an atypical cast (foreigners, I can't believe I could have been that prejudiced) with the typical SJ rogue-takes-virgin-under-misconception story. Well, thank god I was willing to read this so I can finally read Mrs. Harris' story.

Lucy Seton, is half-Spanish - which is a nice change to have some new flavor into HR. Usually, it's only limited to
Elena
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Sabrina Jeffries can now officially be added to the extremely short list of my favorite romance authors. This book was pretty awesome. Non-English hero in a Regency romance? Not a single bit of the book set in London? An obstacle to the main characters being together that wasn't just stubbornness or miscommunication (an obstacle that honestly left me wondering how on earth they would manage to work it out with neither making major sacrifices)? The heroine making a conscious and clear-hea ...more
Virginia
Although I occasionally felt as if I'd read this book before (as well as wanted to throttle Lucy Seton), I did enjoy the story. I think the reason the story felt so familiar is because I've read so many books from this series. Good read!
Pamela Shropshire
I remembered this was my least favorite book in the series, and that is still true.

Lucy Seaton has grown up knowing she was half Spanish, feeling as though she was somehow inherently different. She knows that Colonel Hugh Seaton (whom we met in the book 3, the Scottish one) adopted her when her mother and her father, a soldier in his regiment, died. Now, after being a student there for years, Lucy is now a teacher for Mrs. Harris.

Diego Montalvo lost everything when he was 12, when English soldi
Inshirah Kamal
"miracles only last until the source of their illusion is revealed?"
Netha
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
School for Heiresses, book 5

salah 1 daya tarik membaca series ini adl ceritanya yg tidak berputar2, bahasa yg mudah dimengerti, emosi yg selalu dapat, chemistry yg bagus diantara tokoh utama juga tak lupa korespondensi diantara Charlotte Harris, owner & Headmistress School & her late husbands cousin, michael, orang yg memberikannya dana untuk mendirikan skul.
juga tak lupa "adegan" nya yg hehehhehee menyegarkan tp bukan berarti sepanjang novel ceritanya begitu lhoooo
ga kok.........

ini mem
Tonileg
Almost last book in the School for Heiresses series which I am forcing myself to read so that I can get to Mrs. Harris's love story and find out who 'cousin Micheal' is in Wed Him Before You Bed Him.
Historical English romance with a mysterious Spaniard who moves next to the school in order to find a missing Spanish heiress who he thinks is a recent graduate, Lucy Setton. We meet her father in the third book set in Scotland so I assume that he is also Scottish which would make for a really good l
Carrie Hinkel-Gill
I usually like Sabrina Jeffries' stories, but this one was difficult. Yes, it had banter that made me laugh, however part of the action was a problem for me.

While I almost never spoil parts of a story for readers, I don't have much of a choice this time if I am to be clear why I am not a fan of this story.

Here it goes: if a man I trusted lied to me, drugged me, kidnapped me, and put me on a boat to a foreign country against my wishes, I'd want to kill him not sleep with him.

I just couldn't be
D.L.
Dec 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I place Sabrina Jeffries on the second tier of my favorite authors list: her books may not be my top picks, but I can always rely on them to give me a fluffy but satisfying read. Don’t Bargain with the Devil was both fluffy, satisfying, and a good set up for the next book in the series involving Charlotte Harris and cousin Michael.

Initially, I enjoyed the passionate sparring between Diego and Lucinda. They have an instant, fiery connection that made me root for them from the beginning. However,
June
Good story, good characters, good kidnapping. What more can you ask for. Oh yeah with a handsome dark Spanish hero with a lot to lose for the woman he loves.
Erin
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am going to be so tired at work today. I woke up at 1:30 am and picked up where I left off with this book, and didn't finish until the sun was up. Time to get ready for work!

I think this was one of my favorites. Diego was infuriating, stubborn, but yet completely swoon-worthy. He did things that got me irritated, but in the end, he was simply perfection.

I liked Lucy, especially in the end. I loved her opinionated, outspoken nature. My family hails from the Iberian and Mediterranean, so I kno
Kristen Darienzo
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
"Because you have bewitched me. Because when you are near, I want only to have you."

Read this book years ago, lost my copy, forgot about it. Then was in a used bookstore and saw it and suddenly how much I had enjoyed it came flooding back. This is just a straightforward sassy romance. Jeffries has a great writing style and it's hard to put her books down without finishing it in one fell swoop.
Mem
School for Heiress #5. Lucinda Seton meets Diego Montalvo when he moves into the estate next door to Charlotte Harris's finishing school. She's there to teach drawing while her parents are away on a trip.
Diego is an illusionist looking for a lost heiress so he can recovery his family's property and restore the family vineyard.
Celina
I have read the Sharpes and all the School for Heiresses books before this. I can't remember most of the scenes for those but I remember that I loved those books.

This one didn't really stand out. It was just interesting to read about Spain. I feel like it had a good plot but it wasn't completely executed properly or the strings were not wrapped up into a neat, little bow.

Oriana Peña
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reseña de este fantástico libro en mi blog:

Link: my link text

¡No se la pierdan, y no olviden comentar su opinión!

Besos.
Meliana
Setelah patah hati, Lucinda Seton, putri angkat kolonel Seton, memutuskan untuk menyendiri dan menjadi guru melukis di sekolahnya dulu, sekolah Mrs Harris. Tak hanya sakit hati karena Peter yang kini mewarirsi gelar kebangsawanan memilih bertunangan dengan gadis bangsawan yang sifatnya sama sekali bertolak belakang dengan Lucy, Peter juga menyinggung perasaan Lucy yang mengatakan bahwa asal usul Lucy yang berdarah Spanyol, membuat Lucy dikatakan liar. Lucy harus segera menikah untuk membuktikan ...more
May Mostly Romance
นีเปนหนังสือทีหยิบขึนมาอานแบบไมคาดหวังอะไรทังสิน สวนหนึงเพราะเราเคยพยายามอานเรืองนีมาแลวรอบนึง แตกไมเวิรค จนตองวางลงไปกอน แถมหลังจากเรืองนีออกขายแลว แมกซอานงานเขียนของซาบรินา เจฟฟรียเรืองตอ ๆ มาอีกสามเลม และผิดหวังทังสามเลม

ดังนันเราจึงเตรียมใจผิดหวังเตมทีเลยคะ แตกเปนอีกครังทีตองผิดหวัง นันเพราะเราไมผิดหวัง (อานแลวงงไหมเนีย) เรืองนีสนุกกวาทีคิดเยอะเลย

Don't Bargain with the devil ของซาบรินา เจฟฟรีย

เรืองนีเปนเลมหาในชุด The School of Heiresses เพือประหยัดเวลา แมกซกอปปีขอความของตัวเองมาเพืออธิบายแบค
Tatiana
Me gustó bastante, lo cual me sorprende porque creo que debo dejar descansar el género un tiempo, me estoy cansando del "no está bien hacerlo, pero me vuelve loca/no me casaré nunca y que más dá todo lo demás. Me pareció original la idea del abuelo buscando a su nieta y la profesión de Diego; no puedo decir que me haya enamorado de el como héroe, pero disfruté su historia con Lucy.

Seguiré con El Benefactor porque me leí los primeros 5 libros para disfrutar más del último y aunque piense en obli
Christine
[original review posted on my blog the happily ever after.. in 2009.]

I jumped in on this series with this fifth installment of The School for Heiresses series without having read the first four books. I was told it could be read as a stand alone, which turns out is indeed true. I had no problem figuring out the details surrounding the series story arc and while there were a few references to characters and couples who obviously starred in previous novels, it was easy enough to fill in the blanks
Angela
Aku shock sama cover GPU untuk historical romance ini. Biasanya sudah identik dengan warna cokelat tua, sekarang cover-nya full gambar. Waktu nyari novel ini gak ketemu tadinya gara-gara perubahan barunya. Aku cukup menyukai cover baru yang didesain oleh Mas Marcel A.W. Aku juga suka pembatas bukunya, gak kaku :)

Semoga ke depannya GPU terus meningkatkan kualitas cover agar lebih baik dan tentunya cover yang bagus juga memancing pembaca untuk membeli. Hahahahahaha...

Lucinda Seton, seorang anak ko
thuy
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book in the school for heiresses series by Sabrina Jeffries. Lucinda is a former student now teaching at her alma mater. Diego Montalvo is a notorious rake and womanizer who moves in next door to the finishing school. He is there to determined whether or not the residence will make a good pleasure garden. Lucinda and the school's headmistress are firmly against a pleasure garden, which the believe would be distracting and dangerous to the ladies attending the school. Little do ...more
Joan
I bought this book off the clearance shelf at the Borders. And until page 195, I couldn't imagine why it had been there. This book had me from the very beginning: adorable, but spunky heroine? Check. Slightly rakish hero with an accent? Double check.

(view spoiler)
Cathy
Este foi o 5º livro que li de Sabrina Jeffries. No entanto, devo confessar que a autora me parece ter um padrão que segue praticamente em todos os livros que li. Um personagem feminino(PF) forte, inteligente e determinado, que não pretende essencialmente o casamento com o personagem masculino (PM) principal. E, este último, é sempre arrogante, sedutor, desconfiado com a noção de "amor", e com um trauma pessoal anterior (esta parte chateia-me um pouco).
A evolução da história parece-me no geral se
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • By Love Unveiled (Restoration, #1)
  • A Courtesan's Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #3)
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
  • An Invitation to Sin (Griffin Family, #2)
  • Sleepless in Scotland (MacLean Curse, #4)
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
  • An Indecent Proposition
  • The Reckless Bride (Black Cobra Quartet, #4)
  • The Virgin's Secret (Lost City, #2)
  • The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmaker #3)
  • To Romance a Charming Rogue (Courtship Wars, #4)
Sabrina Jeffries is the NYT bestselling author of over 50 novels and works of short fiction (some written under the pseudonyms Deborah Martin and Deborah Nicholas). Whatever time not spent writing in a coffee-fueled haze of dreams and madness is spent traveling with her husband and adult autistic son or indulging in one of her passions—jigsaw puzzles, chocolate, and music. With over 9 million book ...more
More about Sabrina Jeffries...

School For Heiresses (6 books)
  • Never Seduce a Scoundrel (School for Heiresses, #1)
  • Only a Duke Will Do (School for Heiresses, #2)
  • Beware a Scot's Revenge (School for Heiresses, #3)
  • Let Sleeping Rogues Lie (School for Heiresses, #4)
  • Wed Him Before You Bed Him (School For Heiresses #6)

“Lucy: I don't understand men.
Nettie: What is there to understand? If you feed 'em regular-like and give 'em a bit of 'sugar' now and then, they're easy enough. And if they don't behave, you just toss 'em out on their arses. That's what I always say.”
18 likes