Start by marking “Bone Island Mambo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery” as Want to Read:
Bone Island Mambo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery

Bone Island Mambo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery (An Alex Rutledge Mystery #3)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  386 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A pleasant Key West Sunday in January turns into a tropical nightmare.

It's early. The tourists are still asleep. Freelance and part-time crime photographer Alex Rutledge bicycles near-vacant streets, taking pictures for his own enjoyment. But he's challenged at a restoration district construction site, accused by a developer of snapping photos for an expose.

An hour later,
Published April 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Island Mambo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Island Mambo

Alyce Rocco
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Bone Island Mambo by Tom Corcoran may have held my interest more if I was familiar with Key West Florida.

I did not get a sense of island geography; so many characters, I lost track of who was who and their relationship to each other. Dunwoody & Donovan? Good guys? Bad guys? Cops? A brother? Brother-in-law? Husband of someone?

Sandie Herron
BONE ISLAND MAMBO
By Tom Corcoran
St. Martin's Press
May, 2001

Whew, Tom Corcoran can weave a complicated yarn! I had a blast reading BONE ISLAND MAMBO for the plot, the scenery, the characters, the fun. As woven together as the numerous clues become, Corcoran expertly leads the reader through this intricately textured story.

Alex Rutledge returns for his third adventure living in his own paradise on Key West. Out for an afternoon of photographing the changes taking place around the island, he is sud
Joseph M. O'Connor
Read the E-version with a red pen in hand.

Frankly, I enjoyed the story. It would be easy to dis-believe many of the actions of full-time Key West inhabitants, but their actions ring true to real life. Corcoran suffers the same problem that Carl Hiassen suffers; the raw material for characters is almost TOO good. You can't make this s$@t up!

Now... The e-version of this book is rife with errors! I'd estimate that one sentence in ten lacks a period at the end. This is NOT an e e cummings sort of at
BJ
"Bone Island Mambo" is the third in the Alex Rutledge Mystery series by Tom Corcoran. The main character is really the author's alter ego. Tom Corcoran's photographs have appeared on seven Jimmy Buffett album covers and he has co-written a couple of Jimmy Buffett songs. The setting is Key West. Alex Rutledge is a photographer who has lived in the Keys since the 70s. He picks up extra cash by photographing crime scenes for City and County Law Enforcement. In doing so, he manages to get mixed up i ...more
Julia DeBarrioz
I really love the way Corcoran writes about Key West, it's a magical and weird locale that holds a special place in my heart. That said, I just didn't enjoy this mystery the way I loved the first book. It was too convoluted and mechanical. I don't usually have a problem keeping track of characters in a book, but by the time we found out who dunnit I had to go back to remind myself who the heck he was.

Also the dialogue is kind of off in this book, people don't really talk in clever little sound
Bobbie
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An Alex Rutledge Mystery #3. Murder mystery that takes place in Key West. A professional photographer tries to solve a murder that the police don't seem to be serious about. Seemed good after first few chapters but I just couldn't finish it. Not really sure why. Maybe it was the frenetic staccato writing. Too many characters to keep track of. Too many things happening too fast. Usually I like books like this but this one just left me not caring who the murderer was or why. The editing is atrocio ...more
Sue
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, own, key-west
I can see why this one wasn't in the library - it wasn't as good of a book on its own as the other Rutledge mysteries have been. It felt too disconnected, with too many different plot pieces going along for me to have any chance of figuring anything out... and although action is good, I feel like he went overboard with the action sequences in this one - perhaps the editors wanted some more action and then he went too far. A good book to take to the beach.
Ashley FL
Loved reading about Key West and my favorite haunts. But the story was way too complicated, the characters too numerous and too similar. The writing was confusing. I think it just isn't my cup of tea. I have a similar reaction to Hiaasen. I love Florida, and love that it is wacky, but I don't enjoy these books.
Michelle
i picked this up from our employee book swap, primarily because i was in between books and not sure what genre i was into. the cover drew my attention because Janet Evanovitch recommended it and she is one of my favorite authors, however, the story didn't hold my attention quite like her's do. i was expecting something similar to "skinny dip" (not even close). it was ok, took me quite awhile to finish. too many characters and scattered plot.
Susan
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keywest
key west themed, lots of key west and buffet references. main character is a photographer that ends up working with the police. the reason i like this series is the character development and the story telling quality.... not so much for the crime solving ability.
  • Scavenger Reef (Key West, #2)
  • Ten Thousand Islands
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • Killer Blonde (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12.5)
  • Bahamarama
  • Suitable for Framing (Britt Montero, #3)
There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Tom Corcoran first moved to Florida in 1970. He has been a disc jockey, bartender, AAA travel counselor, U. S. Navy officer, screenwriter, freelance photographer, automotive magazine editor, computer graphic artist, and journalist.
More about Tom Corcoran...

An Alex Rutledge Mystery (7 books)
  • The Mango Opera
  • Gumbo Limbo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • Octopus Alibi: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Hawk Channel Chase
  • The Quick Adios (Times Six)