Start by marking “Do You Have a Cat?” as Want to Read:
Do You Have a Cat?

Do You Have a Cat?

Feisty cats. Quiet cats. Curious cats, and striped cats. Cats of all shapes and sizes cavort across the pages of this bright and entertaining book, bringing to life such varied well historical figures as Henry Matisse, Cleopatra, Charles Lindberg, and Queen Victoria. Young readers will be delighted by the colorful, energetic paintings of Geraldo Valerio and the whimsical, ...more
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published June 4th 2010 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Do You Have a Cat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Have a Cat?

Bridget R. Wilson
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, cats
The narrator asks the reader/listener a simple question (Do you have a cat?) and at the same time, introduces us to famous persons' cats. I bet you didn't know that Queen Victoria had a cat!

What I thought: What a fun way for kids to "meet" historical figures. I had no idea these people owned cats. The illustrations are wonderful--bright, colorful, and appealing. My favorite illustration is of Domenico Scarlatti. I like how the cats look like their owners.

Story Time Theme: Cats

Cami Weaver
This is a cute book about people in history who have had cats. It talks about the history of cats and how they have always been around. The book introduces many people and important facts related to their life along with including cute pictures of cats. I would use this book to read to the class before starting an art project regarding the style of paintings relating to the illustrators pictures in the book.
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
i may be biased toward this book to begin with because I am not a fan of cats. While this book is cleverly written with some great historiacal references, I'm not sure that young kids will really get this book. Neither my son or my daughter cared for this book, but they may have sensed my lack of preference for the book. Not a fave for sure.
Blane
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, children-s
Although I like the concept of introducing children to famous historical figures (who had cats), I could not help but think that the average pre-schooler-to 2nd grader would be pretty clueless about those historical figures...some seemed a little obscure, even to this adult. Nonetheless, it could perhaps spark interest in those figures for the right inquisitive child.
Geannemarie
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
We are dog people but liked this book. It was neat to find out that some famous people had cats & meant so much to them. The inside & back cover gave little synopses about each famous person with their cat.
Kim
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Might be a cool book for older kids who love cats, didn't get a higher rating from me mainly because it's such a specific subject that I wouldn't use it for a storytime, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a cat lover.
Danielle
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved learning about famous people and their cats.
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is not just a silly little book about cats, it also has some silly history and bright colorful illustrations. I quite enjoyed it, though it might have been better if it was about dogs.
Brandi Streeval
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
very cute book read to my daughter
Gwnhwyfer
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Like the rhyming text, but I didn't care for the illustrations. I loved the fact that it highlighted "famous" cat owners.
John
Dec 28, 2010 added it
Too lengthy for a storytime, but great historical figure tie-ins!
Edward Sullivan
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An entertaining collection of facts about famous people and their feline companions. Delightful illustrations.
Anne Beier
Cute idea. Most kids don't know most of the people in the book. Explains who most are, context issue? Might be fun to look them up together.
Zinnia Bayardo
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Now, my girls want a cat. Too bad their Dad is allergic to cats!
Nicole
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you're a person who likes cats, you'll love this story. I liked the smidgen of biographical info too.
Brownd2
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
fabulous rhyming fun
EJP
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This book contains one of EJP's favorite things - cats - and history; it tells about people in history who had cats; I thought it was kind of neat.
Teresa
Boni
Sep 09, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Riley Hoffart 1 1 Dec 07, 2011 03:39PM
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.