Start by marking “Lovers and Gamblers” as Want to Read:

NEW
Published 1978 by Pan Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Lovers and Gamblers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lovers and Gamblers

Denise
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favourtie Jackie Collins books which I read 25 years ago! I can still remember the story & how much I enjoyed reading about Dallas the beauty queen & Al King the rock star superstud (I always thought of Tom Jones as Al). Jackie Collins at her raunchy and well written best. If you want a great bonkbuster then this book has it all, absolutely unmissable!
 Martin
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book I picked up from the forever-talented Jackie Collins after the glorious...

Natasha
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, well, well. What a wonderful story. From beginning to end for some reason you just had to love Al even though he was a crude, arrogant and so damn nasty towards women but I just couldn't help like him. It took forever though for Al and Dallas but finally such a happy ending. Al and Dallas worked together well when they finally made it together all the way through the jungle they were an amazing strength for everyone. I would definately recommend this to my friends to read.
Louise Sinclair
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sexy beauty queen Dallas met Al King Super Star. The outcome was explosive. Gorgeous Al had groupies throwing their bodies in his direction. Al is jaded and bored by these all too available bimbo's. Married and dissatisfied Al wants something more in his life.
Dallas hates men. A sordid secret past is threatening to destroy her career and she will stop at nothing to further her ambitions.
Dallas and Al meet. A coup de foudre but neither wants to admit it.
Lew Margolis hates and desires Dallas
Linda
Rick Brindle
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
OK, so it's probably not fashionable for a bloke to like Jackie Collins, but hey, I like them. They're not too serious, they're funny, entertaining, and the characters always have a little bit of somebody you know in them. Lovers and Gamblers is one of Jackie Collins' best. The characters are enjoyable to read, whether you like them or not, realistic and flawed, none of them perfect. My favourite is Bernie Suntan, shame about his icky sticky end. Some of the more technical scenes are a bit short ...more
Holly Lindquist
Aug 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: use-it-as-mulch
If you are curious as to the content and quality of this book, do yourself a favor. Sneak into your local library and check out the first sentence of the first chapter (I cannot repeat it here). This is the entire book in a nutshell, all 611 pages of it and if you find that this is your cup of tea than I say godspeed! Enjoy! I will be in the washroom peeling my eyeballs.
Beth Rodriguez
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievably good!

This author never disappoints! This book is no exception. Fantastic, bigger than life characters and multiple plots kept me up far later than I thought I would be.
Shannie's ⭐️Lookin' 4 My Next BBF⭐️
Free on Amazon today, 2/4/18!!
Peggy
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr
Sexy and wild without being unpleasantly 'dirty', I like Collins' style. As with her other books, we find ourselves in the world of Hollywood stars and starlets, film premieres, models and everything in between. Lovers and Gamblers is the story of Al King, an aging soul and rock star who does the whole sex, drugs n rock'n' roll thing, and plenty of women thrown in for the fun of it. But inside, of course, Al's got a good heart and I quickly warmed to him as the 'hero' of the story despite his wo ...more
Tatiana Stefan
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper, i-own
I first read this book at the tender age of 12 years old thanks to my elementary bff who secretly snatched it from her parents. I loved it. It was so risqué, scandalous, dirty, glorious! When I moved to the US I never forgot the title and author (I could never forget Jackie Collins’ glamourous pic) and borrowed it from the library and later owning a copy for myself. I’ve re-read this book many times over the years and I still love it. Ive always thought that if I enjoyed a book when I younger I ...more
Janita
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my 1st Jackie Collins novel, and I loved it.....I was so into the characters, she wrote about them and made them come to life..Even Al King, as arrogant, and self-centered as he was, you ended up loving him.....It was just one big fat delicious read!!!! I have re-read this book more than twice just because I loved it so much! I read most of Jackie's books, but this one was my favorite!!!!!!!!You just fell in love with Dallas, and Evan and Paul and Al......There were some characters that ...more
M'diya
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-loved
"... unquestionably deserves the description "page turner"" ~ New York Daily News
NO DOUBT!
"The plot moves from one location to another in fast fluid drive and the characters are developed realistically" ~ Houston Chronicle
Definitely!
"The perfect....... laid back read for which you have been longing" ~ West Coast Review of Books
At least I was...

What a hot book!
This is one of the best books I've ever read. I never wanted to put it down. There's just one thing that I wish, and that is, there should
Tanya Kingman
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a very good early jackie collins,The story is of Al King a rock/soul superstar,who is really like a spoilt child,becuase of his fame,his brother Paul,who has to keep his big brother on the stright and narrow,Dallas, a beauty queen with a past.Riots,bomb threats and kidnapping follow as well as family problems
Sara
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
My book club wanted a fun, easy read, but this book turned out to be awful. Most of the book was just depressing. The writing is horrible. There were almost no likable characters for the majority of the book. It took forever for the two main characters to finally get together. Ugh... stay away.
Jackie Blatt
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovers and Gamblers

Jackie did it again. Her books are wild and fun to read. Lots of making it so much fun to read. This book is so good as usual. Enjoy
AB
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evan's death was a tragedy! Bloody tragedy!
Sheryl Jeppesen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance lovers
This is not the type of book i usually read .I first read this book about 20 years ago and just finished reading it for a second time, I enjoyed how the characters evolved over the course of the book, it was kind of obvious to me how most of it would play out with Al and Dallas,,there was a lot of twists and turns along the way with a lot of unexpected happenings. I didnt enjoy what they do to Al's son after I started liking him. I would read it again in another 20 years.

I have never reviewed
Penelope Wolfe
1975 redux read

Typically wild Jackie Collins book that showed up as a free offering in email. Mystifying was the fact that all the afternoon blurbs used the present tense referring to Collins as if she were still alive.
Andrea A Rose
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Picked up this one as a study of older romance novels. Consent is a big thing in the ones that are published now (thank goodness!), and I was curious if it was a generation ago (when I wasn't reading romance novels). Hard to tell from this one exactly, but I'm thinking no. The whole thing was so dreadfully misogynist (really, who wants to read about a 40 year old man getting together with coked up sisters? or a party full of hot teenage girls attended by horny old men? yuck.) And the reviewers w ...more
Curlyhair
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
By the time I’d read this, I had read a few Jackie Collins and I actually remember I didn’t like this at all. Can’t remember why, obviously I didn’t like the characters. I think this book put me off and I hardly read any more of her books again!
Alfred Orero
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Took me a long time to finish it. Definitely good to read, even better for fast readers. The last 100 pages reminded me why I chose to read it. Jackie Collins is good at employing vivid description in her work. This is what we look for in a novel.
Kathryn
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst writing encountered in years.
Victoria
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book to read
Brittany
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book pissed me off, drove my crazy, made me want to rip my hair out a couple times, and more than once I decided I "just wouldn't finish it."

It's seriously one of my favorite books.

All of that build up and frustration and all the stupid BS both characters are forced to go through... I get it when we finally make our way to the ending. It turned them into who they are, and it allowed us to truly see them develop into the characters we WANT them to be from the start.

It's a great story. It w
Kathie Duame
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
The only reason I gave it 1 star is the last few chapters at least had a story.
Sharon
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a reissue of the 1977 edition.

Al King is a rock singer and selfish stud extraordinaire. His brother and manager, Paul King, gets Al whatever he wants and boy does he want a lot.

Dallas is a former hooker gone beauty queen/actress. Everyone wants a piece of her and she plays hardball like the best of them.

Al and Dallas are destined to get together, but you have to wade through many pages to get there.

The other characters are thrown in for good measure.

As usual Jackie Collins gives us sex,
Bev Taylor
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
when success takes hold of your life, it can be tough keeping a grip on your sanity

al king - a soul superstar and a legendary stud

dallas - a smouldering beauty with big ambitions

he is determined to f*** her and she is determined that she will not be - or is she?

800 pages of paperback which frankly i found rather drawn out and repetitive

plus the final scenario in the s.a. jungle seemed an add-0n just to extend the novel and was really not plausable. plus to remove a metal spear from someone's
Janice
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Is this book trashy? Incredibly. Is this book ridiculous? Without question. Did I stay up late last night to finish it? Yes. Yes I did.

After Jackie Collins passed, I realized I'd never read one of her books. I picked one based on the number of stars on Amazon. I decided to stick with it, just to say I'd read one. Around two-thirds of the way through, it veers in a little bit different direction and I'm surprised to say I couldn't put it down. It grabbed me (even though it was still ridiculous).
Jackie
Filled with the expected depravity, boundary pushing, unlimited hookups and the total lack of any shame from the myriad cast of characters this was a wild ride that gave the kind of mindless entertainment that I needed and enjoyed without worrying about having found complete closure when the last page was read.

Lovers and Gamblers lived up to it's name and proved once again the Queen of trash managed to deliver a book hard to put down.
Miles Oliver
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Collins book, but it's not awful. I felt as if it could have been significantly shorter. My biggest issue was the fact that I didn't really care about the main characters. Dallas had a ton of promise and Al could have been interesting, but I knew where they were going. Cody and Linda were the ones I was following more. The last portion of the story's third act was a little over-the-top, but it was kind of fun, definitely unexpected.
  • Star Quality
  • The Wildest Heart
  • Temporary Wife
  • Octavia
  • Dangerous Obsession
  • Fire Song (Siren Song, #3)
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
  • Nightsong
  • Smoke in the Wind
  • Lace II
  • Love Storm (Russian series/Kuzan Family, #2)
  • Stormfire
  • The Lonely Lady
  • Adored
  • Till We Meet Again
There have been many imitators, but only Jackie Collins can tell you what really goes on in the fastest lane of all. From Beverly Hills bedrooms to a raunchy prowl along the streets of Hollywood; from glittering rock parties and concerts to stretch limos and the mansions of power brokers-Jackie Collins chronicles the real truth from the inside looking out.

Jackie Collins has been called a "raunchy