Start by marking “Anatomy of Change: A Way to Move Through Life's Transitions” as Want to Read:
Anatomy of Change: A Way to Move Through Life's Transitions

Anatomy of Change: A Way to Move Through Life's Transitions

The body’s innate capacity for feeling, intuition, and compassion can enable us to heal our physical and emotional wounds. In The Anatomy of Change, Richard Heckler draws on Aikido and Lomi Body Work to demonstrate how a set of practices can bring new awareness and choice into our daily life.
Paperback, Second Edition, 168 pages
Published January 1st 1997 by North Atlantic Books (first published October 12th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy of Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatomy of Change

Start your review of Anatomy of Change: A Way to Move Through Life's Transitions
Monika
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book and guide to understand body/mind/spirit integration, see concrete practises and also form a better understanding how to face difficult times of change through your body! Can recommend it to anyone who is serioulsy interested in increasing his/her self-awareness in a more holistic way and wants to increase everyday presence and gravitas for a more balanced and fulfilled life.
EL
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Most of the book are 'what's, so if you're looking for 'how's (like I was), this may not be the most useful. There are a few interesting physical exercises documented, but they lacked instruction in the day-to-day applications. There are a number of anecdotes from the author's own professional practice, which I greatly appreciated, but they lacked explanation for the reader who is seeking to understand and learn how to intervene somatically. Even the final chapter, "Taking It To Others" was inap ...more
Alex Delogu
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book about returning to the feeling of the body. Wonderfully written and easy to read it offers some theories about the movement of emotion that are brought to life by case vignettes. The highlight of the book for me was the chapter on the Rhythm of Excitement which explains the notion of emotional energy in such a down to earth way, again with very relatable examples. This has been the most lucid account of energy I have read to date. There is a small section with actual movement p ...more
Josie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
For those of us interested in somatic work and how it affects psychology, trauma symptoms, and the ability to function better in the world with less anxiety, this book is written by one of the early western practitioners combining these ideas.

It's early thinking on these intersections, and how body, mind, emotions, and spirit are intertwined. It's staying in my library as reference of these early ideas and where some of my training has come from.
Alex Linschoten
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: movement, therapy
This isn't the kind of book that you read and absorb in a single sitting. Much of it rings true, but to really benefit from it would mean to absorb its message(s) in the body, something much harder said than done. I will be returning to this one.
Annie
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to live in their bodies, ppl in recovery
Ooh, I love this one! I bought it for a class a million years ago, before I was ready to read it. Actually, let me tell you that story, too.

I was only twenty, and I had just "run away from home" or whatever it is that you do when you leave without notice, when you are an adult. ("Pulling a geographic" is another way to put it.) So, I came back to the city (i.e., Oakland), and I started auditing this really amazing class in Somatics at the now-defunct New College in SF. And I was a ri
Steve Rangoussis
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting piece of work dealing with the physical to develop the emotional & spiritual in the individual. The author uses Aikido in his therapy sessions to teach clients to be centered, spiritually aware beings. Of particular interest are the examples of those with posture related issues and emotional problems that promote them. The author addresses these issues through body work to resolve deep rooted emotional issues and bring happiness & calm into clients lives.

Worth the read, cert
Janne Asmala
Oct 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
A powerful message on the importance of embodiment with a clear conceptual framework around it. The book reads like a teaser for further information on this framework and how to work with it, which I think is a bit unfortunate considering that at 138 pages, there would've been room for more information.
Katya Merezhinsky
Incredible book for body workers, athletes, dancers and those who are interested in connection between physical movement and emotion. Nothing conceptually new for me, but great language and wording.
Rachel
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This book got me excited about the possibility of practicing aikido.
stefanie
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
important stuff about how our emotions can cause a physical lock in the body, and reading it encourages me to stretch and physicalize in order to break bad habits.
Tommie
Jul 15, 2016
Ardis
Dec 28, 2014
Raquel Sands
rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2014

• White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son
  • Trigger Point Therapy for Myofascial Pain: The Practice of Informed Touch
  • Embodied Social Justice
  • More Than Two: A Practical Guide to Ethical Polyamory
  • Your Inner Physician and You: CranioSacral Therapy and SomatoEmotional Release
Richard Strozzi-Heckler, PhD is founder and Co-Director of Methodology at Strozzi Institute. He has spent over four decades researching, developing and teaching Somatics to business leaders, executive managers, teams from Fortune 500 companies, NGOs, technology start-ups, non-profits, the U.S. government and military.

He was named one of the Top 50 Executive Coaches in The Art and Pract