Start by marking “The Frog Who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses” as Want to Read:
The Frog Who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses

The Frog Who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews

Everyone will be closely acquainted with a few people who have synesthesia but you may not yet know who they are because, until very recently, it was largely hidden and unknown. Now science is uncovering its secrets and the findings are leading to a radical rethink about how our senses are organized.

Published May 16th 2008 by Routledge (first published April 1st 2008)

Almeta
In T. Jefferson Parker's The Fallen, the detective sees the emotion in people’s speech as shapes and colors, which comes in handy when interviewing liars!. You may recall that Death also saw emotional states as color in The Book Thief. So when I had a Challenge Task of "Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction", I was interested enough to investigate further, by reading The Frog Who Croaked Blue: Synesthesia and the Mixing of the Senses by Ward Jamie.

Although the book's intent is to explain Syne
Kyle
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to read something that blows about 2000 years of western epistemology and ontology apart? Do you want it to be written by a scientist? Did you need it to be easy to follow? Then read this book!

Synesthesia is not just the mixing of senses so that one, for example, sees music or tastes letters. It can also involve the ways in which people conceptualize time, space, and numeracy. My partner has synesthesia so reading this gave me a better insight into how she perceives the world. She also said
Grumpus
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book was OK. It is everything you've ever wanted to know about synesthesia and probably more. Very detailed but not written in a compelling style, for me anyway. I like science and can deal with fact-based writing styles but this one I found a little dry for my tastes. However, if you are looking to learn about synesthesia in detail, then this is the book for you.
Eva
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Be aware of the fact that this is a project-research-book.. it's highly scientific oriented, thus unfamiliar and unpleasant for those who don't have a clue about neurology.
Mark
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what I was expecting. Very informative and detailed.
Dan Domanski
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good introduction into synesthesia and its many different varieties. I found it very invigorating reading for non-fiction, although some think it's too dry. I think there are enough anecdotes to balance the research parts of the book. And the research itself is quite interesting! A good book to read and discuss with your friends--you may find yourself debating how many senses humans have!
Daniel Wood
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neurology
A good summary of research into synesthesia and multi-sensory perception. Goes into detail on some of the "more interesting" cases, but without losing context - how the condition affects daily life for those with and without it, and what it means. Fascinating anecdotes as always with this genre.
Julian Walker
Written more in the style of an educational paper, despite its attention grabbing title, this is an interesting look at the subject of synesthesia.

As a recently discovered synesthete I would have liked more on my area of colourful taste.
Adam
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fascinating topic, uninspiring writing
Stefanie
Not well written but SYNESTHESIA IS SO COOL.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Hidden Sense: Synesthesia In Art And Science
  • Wednesday Is Indigo Blue: Discovering the Brain of Synesthesia
  • The Vision Revolution: How the Latest Research Overturns Everything We Thought We Knew About Human Vision
  • Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety
  • Talk Is Not Enough: How Psychotherapy Really Works
  • L'Univers expliqué à mes petits-enfants
  • I Love You, But I Don't Trust You: The Complete Guide to Restoring Trust in Your Relationship
  • Machine Learning: The Art and Science of Algorithms That Make Sense of Data
  • Touching the Rock: An Experience of Blindness
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • The Genie in the Bottle: 67 All-New Commentaries on the Fascinating Chemistry of Everyday Life
  • Churchill's Black Dog and Other Phenomena of the Human Mind
  • The Private Life of the Brain: Emotions, Consciousness, and the Secret Life of the Self
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • How to Be an Adult: A Handbook on Psychological and Spiritual Integration
  • A Universe of Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination
  • Blue Cats and Chartreuse Kittens: How Synesthetes Color Their Worlds
  • The Art of Civilized Conversation: A Guide to Expressing Yourself with Style and Grace
Dr Jamie Ward is one of the world's leading experts on synesthesia. He has contributed to the understanding of science through numerous talks and media coverage in newspapers, radio and television including documentaries produced by the Discovery Channel and BBC Horizon"
More about Jamie Ward...