Start by marking “A Taste of Irrationality: Sample chapters from Predictably Irrational and Upside of Irrationality” as Want to Read:

Sample chapters from Predictably Irrational and Upside of Irrationality.

Predictably Irrational

Why do our headaches persist after we take a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a fifty-cent aspirin?

Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup?

When it comes to making decisions in our lives, we think we're making

Published (first published July 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Taste of Irrationality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste of Irrationality

Start your review of A Taste of Irrationality: Sample chapters from Predictably Irrational and Upside of Irrationality
hissi
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This isnt really a book, it's a sample of chapters from another book by the same author called the upside of irrationality.
It talks of really interesting facts regarding our society and it's most important factors and what roles they play in our lives and how severely they shape them.. Social and economical norms.
It's very fascinating. When he talked about money and selfishness. We think that by paying for something we own it and everything else related to it so we seldom think of other
Vaseem Khan
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read. Some insights really throw "aha" movement
Iain Hamill
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting concepts, inspired me to read the full thing.
Ed Barton
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Intro to a Good Book

These sample chapters are a great read and a good teaser for the author’s full length book. Understanding motivation and decision dynamics are part and parcel of the research covered in the book. A great try before you buy.
Dalia
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, e-book
The book is a sample chapters from two other books by the same author. I will read more about behavioral economics!
Ty
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Some people may be familiar with Dan Ariely's academic work, as it was famously cited in the bestseller "Drive" by Daniel Pink. in this book, Ariely explores the counter-intuitive behaviors of human beings in a wide variety of situations. The experiment referred to in "Drive", where people were tested to see what the impact of tying large bonuses to their work is fascinating since it clearly shows that the pay practices of CEO's and Wall Street are fundamentally counter-productive. This type of ...more
Mindo'ermatter
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Fast Read, But Still Too Long!

This is a short book, perhaps drawn out beyond the length it should be. There are some interesting and thought-provoking ideas here worth considering, some of which might change your perspectives on life, people, and yourself.

Many of the concepts discussed are counterintuitive and nontraditional, something for which we should be skeptical. Still, the author shares a compelling series of arguments that might make you more suspicious those motives behind good and
Mark
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Ariely's book is a collection of experiments that he and his peers conducted at Harvard and MIT. While these experiments do show that irrationality is predictable, it does so in a somewhat uninteresting way. Given the title, I was expecting more dialogue and conceptual thinking. Ariely does make prescriptions as to what we could do (as a society) to battle the plague of predictable irrationality that is so ubiquitous in most societies, but these prescriptions take second-seat to the descriptive ...more
Mohammed Algarawi
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I was bored and I downloaded this book from iTunes' free section, and it was worth the shot.

It's a book about modern economy, discussing principles such as the supply/demand concept throughout experiments and presents the outcomes of the experiments in an interesting way.

It also discusses motivation at work, the role social and economical norms take when taking purchasing decisions. An interesting book, indeed.
Melissa Espinosa
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
While looking for a book that will help me improve myself I found "A TASTE OF IRRAIONALITY", tis book shows us all of the irrational, logical, human things that happen in our society and that sometimes we dont even notice them unless we really stop and think "what are we doing?". It is an interesting book that will not only help you understand a little more of what we do as a society but will also help you understand irrationalities that are not always necessary.
Mario
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I reserve my 5 star ratings for books that I think everyone should read. Books that I enjoyed and with useful information that I have not (yet) found elsewhere.

Much of human behavior that you read about in the book is familiar to all of us. Ariely goes into a little of the why of it - and a lot of how we are exploited by it or could make use of the knowledge. Basically, not everything we do makes sense, and this book identifies a number of the common strange decisions we make. Great stuff.
Ichetuckneee
Jan 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
Read 3 of his books so far, so I know what is in this one, but it should be on my bookshelf anyway. Watch him on TED videos and then read his books. You'll have a much better understanding, I promise.
Lory Marshall
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Through his books and Ted Talks, Dan Ariely single-handedly fueled my interest in economics. His experiments are about subject matter that I actually care about and want to know the outcome of. He is a genius and I can't wait to learn more from him!
Clay Teller
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lot like Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion which is also full of fascinating research on human behavior
Shameem Hasan
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book ! Eye opener.
Astrid
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book made me miss studying Economics. Blog post about it is on the Epilogger blog: http://epilo.gr/Wb45T.
Tanya
This free ebook is a bundling of sample chapters from Dan Ariely's books about behavioral economics. I was fascinated by what I read and plan to check out the full volumes.
Krishy
Apr 29, 2012 added it
very cool concepts
Ed
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it might change the way I think, but it didn't. It was fun though, and I learned a lot -- especially that the author likes to conduct psychological experiments!
Ankur

• The Book of Spells: The Magick of Witchcraft
  • Introducing Game Theory: A Graphic Guide
  • The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor
  • Smart Choices: A Practical Guide to Making Better Decisions
  • Dragonology (Ologies, #1)
  • Inuyasha, Volume 01 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse
  • The Expanding Circle: Ethics and Sociobiology
  • The End of Animal Farming: How Scientists, Entrepreneurs, and Activists Are Building an Animal-Free Food System
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • Speed Reading: Ultimate Speed Reading Techniques! - Begin Learning To Read 300% Faster In Less Than 6 Hours And Boost Productivity! (How To Speed Read, ... Fast, Brain Training, Neuroplasticity, NLP)
  • Success And Happiness: 7 Habits To A Fulfilling Life (Happiness, Personal Transformation)
  • Investing for Beginners: A Short Read on the Basics of Investing and Dividends (investing 101, Investing for Dummies, Money, Power, Elon Musk, Tony Robbins, Entrepreneur, Banking Book 4)
  • A la casa del chico espantapájaros
From Wikipedia:

Dan Ariely is the James B. Duke Professor of Behavioral Economics at Duke University. He also holds an appointment at the MIT Media Lab where he is the head of the eRationality research group. He was formerly the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Behavioral Economics at MIT Sloan School of Management.

Dan Ariely grew up in Israel after birth in New York. He served in the Israeli army and
“Some time ago, I decided to go watch firsthand one of the most infamous acts of raw, unabashed, supply-and-demand capitalism in action. I am talking, of course, about Filene’s Basement’s “Running of the Brides”—an event that has been held annually since 1947 and is the department store’s answer to the famous “Running of the Bulls” in Pamplona, Spain. Instead of watching thousand-pound bulls trampling and goring foolhardy humans, I observed about a thousand blushing brides-to-be (and their minions) trampling one another in a mass grab for discount-priced” 1 likes
“unabashed,” 0 likes