Start by marking “Home Economics: Vintage Advice and Practical Science for the 21st-Century Household” as Want to Read:

“Housekeeping is becoming more and more a matter of science, and the laurels are bound to fall to the woman who conducts her household in a business-like way.”

Let the thrifty sensibility of yesteryear be your guide as you shop for the most economical foods, choose wall colors scientifically, clean with natural products, look your best without breaking the bank, and bud
Published July 1st 2010 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Home Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Economics

Denise
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this book very intellectually dishonest -- while the author is listed as a "compiler" of out-of-copyright wisdom from old home making texts, complete sentences were lifted wholesale without attribution other than the bibliography at the end. I recognized some of the choicest quotes from The American Frugal Housewife Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy in this little book before I read the "disclaimer" at the end and I was (justifiably) annoyed.

With public domain books this
Julie
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this little read and a good reference book. Favorites so far? It shows proper place/table settings for breakfast lunch and dinner and it has a section on "the art of making friends" & "the happy way of doing things" for tips and etiquette. Very cute. :)
Lenore Webb
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, self-help
A great lil tome called, Home Economics: Vintage Advice and Practical Science for the 21st-Century Household. It opens up right to a book plate. You never see that anymore. Wait you do know what a bookplate is don't you? You know, that lil place where it says, This book belongs to _____________. Remember as a child how proud you felt to write your name in there. Often I would have a Christmas present with my grandmothers beautiful handwriting inside. There she placed my name and the occasion tha ...more
Martha
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I thought the concept of those book was intriguing, to take vintage advice from books on housekeeping, etc. and synthesize the tid bits into still-useful info for today's "homemaker", but the execution was not very well done. I have read a lot of modern home organizing books and found the information that the author chose to include in this book silly and redundant rather than being quaint and interesting. Do people really not know that eating fruits and vegetables or making a budget for your ho ...more
Jerricanary
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hope-chest
A classic hope-chest-kind-of-book for the housewife-to-be or the homeschooled daughter who could use a concise introduction to the lost art of domesticity. I'll be saving this one for my little girl in the coming years.

"The true economy of housekeeping is simply the art of gathering up all the fragments so nothing is lost. This applies to both materials and time (p. 9)."

My favorite bits were on setting up a routine, reusing scraps of fabric, the science of folding laundry, 10 recipes for natural
Elderberrywine
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: domestic
A cute little book - odds and ends from Home Ec textbooks from the '20s through the '40s, with happy illustrations.

I am such a sucker for this sort of thing, especially when I pick up a useful tip or two.
Shannon
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
The introduction is snappy, but the tips, although helpful, are also super dry.
Anna Zollinger
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is not your average book, but is rather a concise compilation of vintage homemaking advice which the author considers relevant and still applicable to the modern era. I have to agree, too. It is truly wonderful read with a uniquely vintage appeal.

It is an immense read, for starters- much longer than the average books of the actual eras it is compiled from (and it is compiled from many). When I first picked it up, I did what I always do and skim read it to see what it contained. Now I h
Tish Grier
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much wonderful information packed into this tiny volume! If you've ever wondered what homemaking is really about, and how to do it, this little book crams in a whole lot of information in a small, fun to read volume. As stated by the author, the book is a compendium of great advice from home economic texts from the pre-WWII period. Instruction and advice on Everything from buying a home to purchasing cuts of meat; organizing your personal space to entertaining. A great little reference for an ...more
Kitty
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Without judgement or bias, I found this cute little book to be a very good resource for any unfamiliar with the basics of adult living, and a good refresher for those of us that know most of the information presented. The layout could have been better, but as it is it's already well done and easily accessible.
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps some people find a focus on home economics to be backwards and oppressive to women. I think it is backwards for anyone living in a home not to try to make it functional and pleasant. I find it oppressive to families to not have basic knowledge of how to make a home run smoothly. This book is great and packed full of basic, sound advice that should never have gone out of style!
Erin
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
This is a cute little book that offers helpful and fun advice for maintaining a clean, sanitary and happy home. It actually has some good ideas and illustrations. Loved the little tips in red sprinkled throughout the book.
Jane
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-craft, nonfiction
I liked this book so much I actually bought it. Probably more for the look of it than the content. I just want to cut it up it's so cute.
Linda Kallschmidt
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book. Timeless information.
Laras Putri
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I bought this book on impulse because of the cute cover. I actually read it and it is really useful for me a teenager in doing household chores.
CharityJ
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Chock full of old-school wisdom and skills that have long been forgotten. Nice to see someone carrying it on.
Sarah Elizabeth
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful little book. Taken from collected material from old home economic books, this book is not only practical but nostalgic and fun.
Supriya
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very Good Book. So Many Tips (as mentioned in the title they are vintage)
Lauren Draus
Everything we have been searching for and didn't know it. To think it was all figured out! Here we sit trying to reinvent the wheel! A handy, wonderful book that all peeps should keep on hand!
April Spencer
Jul 17, 2016
Cari
Oct 21, 2016
Loren
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful little book!
Zojou
Feb 17, 2019
Gina
Mar 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories, and Celebrate Family Heritage
  • Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By
  • Cover & Bake
  • A Householder's Guide to the Universe: A Calendar of Basics for the Home and Beyond
  • Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
  • Green Beauty Recipes: Easy Homemade Recipes to Make your Own Skincare, Hair Care and Body Care Products
  • Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create
  • Sensual Home
  • Quick Fix Meals: 200 Simple, Delicious Recipes to Make Mealtime Eas
  • Reluctant Entertainer, The: Every Woman's Guide to Simple and Gracious Hospitality
  • Homemade: How-to Make Hundreds of Everyday Products Fast, Fresh, and More Naturally
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Small-Space Container Gardens: Transform Your Balcony, Porch, or Patio with Fruits, Flowers, Foliage, and Herbs
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew