Start by marking “The Man Who Ate the 747” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Ate the 747

The Man Who Ate the 747

Piece by piece, a farmer is eating a Boeing 747 to prove his love for a woman... Written with tenderness, originality, and insight, filled with old-fashioned warmth and newfangled humor, it is an extraordinary novel, a found treasure that marks the emergence of a major storytelling talent.

This is a story of the greatest love, ever. An outlandish claim, outrageous perhaps,
Published January 29th 2002 by Bantam (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Ate the 747, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Ate the 747

Sarah B.
Dec 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love love stories, but I do have one rule: all parties to the story have to actually be in the story. This book fails. The reader is given page after page after page of the interior life of J.J. Smith, who is a wet dishrag of a protagonist. Holy trivial minutiae, Batman, this guy is boring. BORING. Claw my eyes out, do not care to know him better, too boring for a first name boring. Then he briefly meets and is brushed off by a gorgeous redhead named Willa Wyatt and boom he is "in love" with h ...more
Carla ♥
_ i saw this b0ok at the BOOKSALE and i was immediateLy captured by the titLe .. at that time, i d0nt have en0ugh m0ney t0 buy the b0ok, s0 i hid the b0ok under a L0t 0f 0ther b0oks , s0 n0 0ne w0uLd see it .. :))

after a few days, i went back and im s0 happy because it's stiLL there and i b0ught it instantLy .. and i never regretted having b0ught and read this b0ok becuse it is s0o g0od .. the characters were great and the st0ry was n0t a c0mm0n 0ne .. i LOVE it <3
Night
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book, the first of this author's, after I read his second work (The Death and Life Of Charlie St.Cloud). I just like his style.

This book is even less dramatic than the second. It's just a love story in which one man literally eats an airplane for the woman he loves, and one man finds a love in the least expected place.

The narrative is so flowing that I can read in one sitting. All in all, it's a warm-heart and pleasant read.
Damon
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
raises interesting questions, like: can a book be so bad as to constitute an act of terrorism
Neeraja S
Apr 19, 2011 rated it liked it
J.J is the record keeper for the World's Book of Records, who has traveled far and wide to record and verify world records of all kinds being created and shattered by aspirants who wanted to immortalize themselves through a mention in the Book. JJ's life revolved around seeking such greatness - he'd witnessed men do the most grueling and incredulous things to achieve that greatness. Through every euphoria of a "record", J.J lived his dreams vicariously and chased his life in search of more great ...more
Nadine Larter
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
So you know how you aren’t supposed to judge a book by it’s cover? Well I imagine the same sentiment is probably applied to judging books by their titles. I have to admit that I do both. I have bought books because they were pretty, and very often I buy the most random books simply because they have a cool title. I further admit that they usually end up just sitting in my bookshelf, but as I have said before, I am finally doing something about that.

The Man Who Ate the 747 is one of my weird titl
Alison
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
[spoilers]

Attention authors, current and aspiring: putting your characters in a coma so they can miracously emerge at the story's climax is a wretched plot device.

The campy ending reflects one of the book's major flaws - it lacks originality. It's disappointing that a book about a man eating a 747 could be so boring, but if you fill the pages with bland characters and stock revelations, I suppose anything can happen. Will our leading man, John Smith, discover that love can't be summed up in sta
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
I don't know what to make of this book. I think it was supposed to be a Nicholas Sparks wannabe, but I'm not sure it pulled it off. And, to be fair, Sparks is good but certainly not one I run out to buy. So, with that said, I think the attempt at a cute love story was here, but it just didn't live up to it. This is what I think a Lifetime movie special would be. Man works for a pretend Guinness World Records. Travels the world recording greatness, is scientific and has never had love. Goes to po ...more
Siewjye Chow
The Man Who Ate the 747 is hilarious, wonderful, lovely, romantic and touching. Wally is the man who would actually eat a Boing 747 which was drifted and crashed on the little farm in Nebraska to show and prove his love to a girl he have been crushing on since he was 10 years old, Willa. On the other hand, J.J Smith, the keeper of The Book of Records, who has spent his whole life dedicated to The Book of Records on finding new record breakers came across a letter and reliable source about a man ...more
Stacy
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
adore this charming and original love story. It is full of small town warmth and spirit and it is sure to inspire you, at least a little. I wouldn’t want anyone to eat a 747 for me, but I had to admire Wally ingenuity. It’s amazing to find out what foods you can put ground up metal into. It should have included a few recipes in the back

The quirky characters and plot will bring a smile to your face. This was not at all what I expected, but I cannot recommend it enough. At only 250 pages
Nadja
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not my usual genre. But then this is not your usual book. There's a man who needs to read this. But he's not much of a reader. So I'll wait until it's a rom-com chick flick - which neither of us watch - and sit down with him and say, "Look. Other people are eating planes for their loves too, the way you do for me." If you want to believe in humanity again, read this book.
Josie
Oct 19, 2009 rated it liked it
A light read with a good romantic edge for us girlies!
Miz
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy book. It was okay.
Grace Hobbs
“Richly romantic, whimsical, and uplifting, The Man Who Ate the 747 is a flight of fancy from start to finish.” So says the back flap of the little book I was unfortunate enough to choose to read, and would in fact very much like to incinerate, but I’ll have to settle for doing it with words rather than fire, as I’m not terribly good with matches but do fairly well using words to get my point across. And this is a point I’m eager to make: The Man Who Ate the 747 is an absolutely abominably bad ...more
Ric Cheyney
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
TOM ROBBINS (VERY) LITE. This is a pleasant story told by a nice man, with a pleasing ending that affirms the value of love. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, unless you count occasional outbreaks of dullness. It's just...... very lightweight. It reminds me of Tom Robbins, especially his early stuff like 'Another Roadside Attraction', because it deals with contemporary America and it has the same tone/approach as Tom Robbins. But Tom Robbins's books are multi-layered, funny, dazzling and ...more
Kris Johnson
Apr 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
this book was on the suggested shelf of the EG library, it was short and light a good diversion from the Gentlemen in Moscow novel I was reading so i picked it up. Stupid plot, and truly the novel was only written so people would send in submissions to the author's future Book of Wonder.

Plot- stupid
characters- ok and a little growth in some
Scene- nice mid west small town
Tension- acceptable for a short story
Climax- acceptable for a short story

Quotes:
page 174 Righty about his wife of many years
Mutya Hanifah
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are plenty of beautiful love stories out there; Romeo and Juliet, Bonnie and Clyde, Samson and Delilah... the list goes on, but none of them compared to The Man Who Ate the 747. I finished this book in just two days, even I tried to slow it down because I don't want to finish it fast. The book is funny and I love how Ben Sherwood tried to put our head in different characters without messing it up. Lovely book.
Darlene
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Why hadn't I discovered this book before now? It was awesome. The main character works for a firm (similar to Guiness ssRecords or ripley's beileve it or not. ) and travels the world to verify the claims for fame. He goes to Superior NE on an assignement with a cloud over his head at work, romantic happenings and life changes.
Ben Smith
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Sherwood's other novel Charlie St. Cloud.

There was a lot of potential to explore interesting themes that kinda dropped by the wayside so the author could hammer away at the reality and importance of love at first sight while neglecting the one relationship that was actually built on trust and cooperation.
Karen Terrell
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had moments of brilliance. I enjoyed the humor and the characters, and the author's insights and wisdom. There were places where the story dragged a little, and the plot lost its momentum. But, for the most part, I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun read.
Deb Rudnick
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a silly, shmaltzy, lovely read.
Trish
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute love story.
Natalie King
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit hard to get into took me about 50 pages but I finished it in an afternoon. Fun read
Anita
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet book about finding love amidst world record trivia. Excellent.
Geri
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I saw this at the library and the title intrigued me. It is certainly a quirky little story. I kept picturing Paul Rudd as the main character (J.J.). Very quick read.
Julie
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
A very enjoyable, "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe" type of a read.
Rachelle
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charming little story about discovering what real love is, and how to eat a plane. 😂
Allison Thurber
It was a great ending. It wasn’t what I expected to happen, for the most part, but a pretty decent read.
Fiona Gauthier
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a sweet and easy read, a gentle uncomplicated reminder to enjoy (and see!) what is around you, open your heart and take the risk of falling in love.
Hillary
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was short and sweet and perfect if you just want to escape into a story. A tall tales about a man who is willing to do anything for love.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Fresh
  • The Alternative Hero
  • Kalooki Nights
  • She, Myself & I
  • First Contact-Or, It's Later Than You Think
  • Vinyl Cafe Unplugged (Vinyl Cafe, #3)
  • Lying With the Dead
  • The Swap
  • Dr. Dale's Zombie Dictionary: The A-Z Guide to Staying Alive
  • Cassandra French's Finishing School for Boys
  • Las Vegas Noir
  • An American Insurrection: James Meredith and the Battle of Oxford, Mississippi, 1962
  • Rampage at Waterloo (Battlesaurus, #1)
  • The Hunt Club (Huger Dillard, #1)
  • Noir
  • Swine Not?: A Novel Pig Tale
  • The Great Pursuit
  • Weber's Way to Grill: The Step-by-Step Guide to Expert Grilling
Ben Sherwood is a bestselling author, award-winning journalist and founder of TheSurvivorsClub.org. From 2004 to 2006, he worked as executive producer of ABC’s Good Morning America during the two most successful seasons in the program’s history. Sherwood guided prize-winning coverage of the tsunami in Southeast Asia, the devastation of hurricane Katrina, and the presidential election of 2004

From 1
“Let's make one perfect day. And if it feels right, let's make another one tomorrow.” 0 likes