Start by marking “Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling” as Want to Read:
Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling

Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling

Now in its ninth edition, Phonics Pathways (with help from Dewey the Bookworm(TM)) teaches students of all ages the rudiments of phonics and spelling with an efficient, practical, and foolproof method. Written in an easy-to-use format, Phonics Pathways is organized by sounds and spelling patterns. The patterns are introduced one at a time and slowly built into syllables, ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Phonics Pathways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phonics Pathways

Start your review of Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling
Betty
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Initially I thought this book looked good. I liked the explanations about words and sounds. In fact I learned quite a lot from reading the later pages. But after starting at the beginning and going through the teaching method I decided that it might be useful to someone trying to teach a child as an adjunct but not as a whole program. The beginning worksheet exercises are fine but the pages are very busy with cartoons and cutesy phrases on the sides that a child who is learning to read would ...more
JayBee
Sep 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: always-reading
I like this book. Let's see my son hated it when I opened it for him, but now that I caved and took him out and his sister is using it, he will pick it up and prove to her he can read better. All and all it has worked out!
But back to the book, it is a good source for reading and spelling instruction and Dewey's(the book's mascot) quoted throughout the book are fun and encouraging. A simple straightforward approach. Worth having for young-beginning readers.
Shannon
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
12/08: My husband and I were surprised to see spelling rules we were never taught.

Amazon Book Description:
Now in its ninth edition, Phonics Pathways (with help from Dewey the Bookworm) teaches students of all ages the rudiments of phonics and spelling with an efficient, practical, and foolproof method. Written in an easy-to-use format, Phonics Pathways is organized by sounds and spelling patterns. The patterns are introduced one at a time and slowly built into syllables, words, phrases, and
Catherine
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource for tutors and teachers. The author says home schoolers use it to teach phonics, which could be done, but it is NOT a full curriculum. This book contains great information, but it is NOT a workbook to give to the learner to do on their own. I don't think there are any earth shattering new ideas, but it is a great review of the useful strategies I was taught in Dr. Brown's Reading class in Ed College. There are instructions for lessons and the reading passages, etc. that ...more
Linda
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
This is a solid guide for teaching phonics and early reading. Effectiveness is enhanced by adding in sight word practices and some easy 'real' books of stories such as BOB books or other easy readers that follow basic phonics principles. Expensive phonics programs are no more effective than the series of short 5 minute lessons in this book.
Rachel Chapman
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
totally love this book! I have heard many great things about teaching children to read not just early but well. There are explanantions to decipher words. And for any of you who can't answer what sound the "c" makes when followed by a "ie" would love this book. Whether you teach your child to read or just suppliment the school system you'll love it. Very simple lessons and how tos.
Rebekah M.
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
I used this book to teach my daughter to read when she was in kindergarten. It worked and the games made learning fun, but I think it focused too much on learning the grammar rules, and that got confusing. I'm a much bigger fan of "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" by Engelmann.
Melissa
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-reading
We are using this book for homeschooling to teach our daughter to read. It has some games, which is helpful, but it's still pretty boring and monotonous for the kid. We are adding to the lessons by creating manipulatives and early readers which is making it more interesting to my daughter.
Carol
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! I highly recommend it. My daughter was struggling with reading last year in public school. This year we started with Phonics Pathways and I can't believe the progress she is making. Her speed and confidence has increased greatly.
Jenny
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm still trying to decide if I'd like to own this one.
Trish
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Super great phonics book! I like "Reading Pathways" by the same author.
Amy Lesley
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm using this with my four year old. Awesome so far!
Nov 05, 2014
Mar 04, 2011
Rebecca
May 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• English from the Roots Up, Volume II: Help for Reading, Writing, Spelling and S.A.T. Scores
  • The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance (The Story of the World #2)
  • Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors: An Activity Guide