Start by marking “Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)” as Want to Read:
Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)

Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,898 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Revived by a secret manufacturer, a deadly drug called Bloodhype returns to the humanx galaxy, prompting Flinx and Pip to risk their skins to stop the scourge. By the author of Mid-Flinx. Reissue.
Published September 12th 1985 by Del Rey Books (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodhype, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodhype

Bradley
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first real hiccup when reading the series in chronological order, but fortunately, it's not too bad. We still get huge action and stakes and uneasy alien alliances and a close up of the really big bad we've been teased with for the first eleven books.

But here's the funny bit: Pip and Flinx are minor characters!

It's not bad in absolute terms, just bad if you're wanting a real Flinx adventure where he's center stage.

Enter a really nasty and lethal drug, piece-of-work dealers, super-spi
Jeffrey
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of cool science fiction but especially young men
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Found it on my own
Shelves: science-fiction
The confusing part of this book is where it fits within the other Flinx Pip universe. It is a poser. But Foster wrote it second.

This novel stands on its own two legs, and is a very good story. Read it even if you are not a Flinx and Pip fan.

The Vom, an evil entity of immense power and ability traveled into a galaxy controlled by the Tar Aiym thousands of years before the events of the novel. The Vom is a carnivore on an immense scale. Its sustenance, however is not meat, but the actual force of
Paul
This... this... this was a weird one.

This was the second book in the series the author wrote but, within the chronology of the series, it's actually quite near the end. When you read the series in chronological order, rather than publishing order, like I am, this causes some strange side-effects.

A lot of the character development our hero has undergone in previous/future books suddenly disappears, which is quite jarring. The revelation about Pip's gender that occurs about halfway through the ser
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
This one always seemed to break characterization for me, but I did enjoy significant portions of it.

My biggest frustration - series wide, not just this book - is that things don't remain consistent: Antidotes that do or do not exist, for example.
Alice
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flinx from afar.

Very different Flinx book, primarily written in numerous POVs, non of which were Flinx's. In fact Flinx doesn't appear until several chapters into the book. Was a excellent plot, but the numerous changes of view point were sometimes annoying. Was a interesting idea but didn't completely make it. Also missed Flinx although he was there, you were seeing him through the eyes of the other people which gave him a remoteness. Still enjoyed it a lot.
James Polk
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like fosters writing style it is a comfortable read that is the best way I can term it, I first read this story ( books 1-2 and 3 ) when I was 8 to 9 years old and I noticed that now he has published many stories from pip & flinx which I will want to read this is a great series to read for its science and fantasy elements
Mike S
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
I'm thoroughly enjoying reading the entire series from the beginning. This is another imaginative, fast paced, fun tale.
Rachel
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of the Flinx books chronologically up to this one, #10 in the series. Although it was the second novel that he wrote, there is little to no Flinx & Pip in this story.

Books 7-10 have basically been complete jokes when it comes to this series. I honestly can't believe how empty and pointless they are. It's like someone just gave him money and said "My only qualification is that Flinx makes an appearance at least once." This is the last Foster book I will ever read.

So the plot is
Andrew Staples
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Very much a ripping yarn. Foster pretty much slams his foot on the accelerator on the opening page and doesn't let off until the denouement.

The breakneck speed comes at the cost of characterisation. The characters are pretty two dimensional. Flinx and Pip have only background roles, with a pair of Church agents and a feisty freighter captain who seems the model for Firefly's Mal Reynolds in the lead. However, they're all pretty shallow.

Foster still hasn't got the hang of interesting female cha
Bryan457
This was one of the very first Pip & Flinx books to be written, but Chronologically it fall as #10 in the series. This does cause a few storyline inconsistencies, such a Pip changing gender.

The overall story is that an ancient monster, the Vom, capable of consuming all life on a planet, is woken by some scientists and transported to the world of Repler. One of the Tar-Aiym, an ancient warrior race who was supposed to be guarding the vom enlists Flinx's aid in dealing with it. The whole blood
Nathan Johnson
May 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Avoid this book.

If you like the Pip and Flinx books, there is no reason to read this installment. The main characters of this title are new and unimportant. You will only see them in this book.
Pip and Flinx hardly make an appearance in this book. Everything that happens in this book is barely even mentioned in any other books.

In this book Flinx contends with a mob boss. A stupid one. You are better off reading Trouble Magnet. In which Flinx contends with a mob boss, but that book is more interes
Andy
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many other people, I read this book tenth as opposed to second. I did notice the little inconsistencies, but I'd say that they were quite acceptable given the fact that Foster wrote eight books to fill in the gap. It was easier to pretend this was a slightly alternate universe where basically the exact same things happened.
I enjoyed seeing Flinx from other people's points of view for the majority of the story as just a side character. Overall, the book had the feel that Foster had a story h
Cheryl
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: room-my, fa-jk
The Vom is found and brought to Repler by Aann scientists in secrecy. Meanwhile the Commonwealth Church is trying to uncover who's dealing Bloodhype, a drug to which you were instantly addicted to, and you'd die from if you didn't get helped in a very short time after taking it. Agents Kitten Kai-Sung and Porsupah-al along with their saviors Malcolm, Pip, and Flinx are also about to meet the Guardian, Peot.
Fred D
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: science-fiction
This was the third book by Foster that I read, after Nor Crystal Tears and Tar-Aiym Krang. It's the second Flinx & Pip book, and the second Flinx & Pip book that I read. Again, I really enjoyed the book and was quite entertained. I love Foster's writing style. He keeps you interested and in suspense. I love his creativity and his ideas. I have to admit, this book was a bit of a "shaggy-dog story". I could see what was going to happen at the end from a long way off.
Jessica
Jul 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I've given this author trhee strikes, and he's out! When the title characters of the series don't even show up until 50 pages into the second book about them, absolutely NO exposition is given, subtly or overtly about how they got from their old situation into the new one, and the synopsis on the back bears only a vague resemblane to the plot of the story, I've just got to give up on an author. The premis could have been cool, too bad.
Joe Santoro
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft_sf
I'd call myself a Casual fan of Alan Dean Foster... I loved the 'Spoils of War' series, and have read a couple other Pip and Flinx books. This one fits right in, although if you really like the characters, they really make only a cameo.

The main character, Kitten, is a fun, tongue in cheek Bond-Girl tribute, and the book offers alot of insight into usual Commonwealth foes the Aan. A must read if you like the series, and a fun, quick beach book even if you don't.
Bruce
With each Foster book I read, I become a bigger fan. This is the 2nd written book in the Pip and Flinx series, although the 11th chronologically. A little dated what with the casual 70's approach to sex, but overall I enjoyed it despite Flinx being a supporting character. I'd actually like to see more of the lead characters. Not great literature, but a fun read with a good plot.
Mark Bond
I first read this - and many other AD Foster books - about 20 years ago, and this book doesn't seem as good second time around - perhaps I am reading it through rose tinted glasses?
Whatever, I will not be put off! I will read AD Fosters other offerings in the hope that they are as good as I remember!
Ruan Peat
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-loved
I read this wondering why it turned up in my Flinx hunt, I enjoyed the book then realised this other character they met was flinx and he was right through the whole thing, so much fun! and well worth a read.
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
An amusing sci-fi tale and my first introduction to the world of Pip and Flinx... even if those characters only appeared for a tiny section of the novel. The VOM was an interesting being, and I enjoyed the universe.

Timothy Boyd
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Dean Foster is one of my top 5 favorite writers, and the commonwealth books are my favorite works. These are great quick reads, you are almost done before you realize you started. Flinx & his pet dragon Pip are great heroes. Very recommended
Mrklingon
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun mix of mystery, intrigue and monsters!

A great story, stating Pip and Flinx, though almost in an offstage way. It's read this long ago, and enjoyed it all over again. Foster's humanx commonwealth is a great invention that deserves to be better known!
Michael Griffin
I enjoyed this novel, but didn't realize that I read the series out of sequence until after I finished this novel. Once I finish all the Pip and Flinx between The End of the Matter and Bloodhype, I'll re-evaluate this novel.
Peter
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I have always felt that none of the later books were quite as good as the first although this is probably my next favourite
Abby
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Peej Majava
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foster
Was a different perspective than normally written about Flinx and Pip. I think this sort of ties in with Tar-Aiym Krang. Love the whole humanx common wealth world Mr. Foster has created.
Leland Gilsen
Predictable ending with juvenile sex ending as well. ... what can you say when the female lead is named "Kitten" and is a sexpot to boot! Too bad as it may have been an OK story.
Linda
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It might be labeled a Pip & Flinx adventure, but they're barely in it.
DaNela
Pip & Flinx adventure story #5
*BIO*
Morgan McGuire
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I couldn't put this book down, but it is terrible. Imagine a James Bond novel in a sci-fi setting, with characters from all of Alan Dean Foster's other books mixed in haphazardly.
  • The Warlock Is Missing (Warlock, #6)
  • The Forlorn
  • The River Wall (Gandalara Cycle, #7)
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • The Universe Against Her
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • By Any Other Name
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • A Phule and His Money (Phule's Company, #3)
  • Through the Eye of a Needle (Needle, #2)
  • Matadora (Matador, #2)
  • The X Factor
  • The Dark Wing  (The Dark Wing Series, #1)
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • Final Diagnosis (Sector General, #10)
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Pip & Flinx (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx #1)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)
  • Flinx in Flux (Pip & Flinx #6)
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx #7)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #10)
  • Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)