Start by marking “Among the Living (PsyCop, #1)” as Want to Read:
Among the Living (PsyCop, #1)

Among the Living (PsyCop #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  5,992 Ratings  ·  743 Reviews
Victor Bayne, the psychic half a PsyCop team, is a gay medium who’s more concerned with flying under the radar than in making waves.

He hooks up with handsome Jacob Marks, a non-psychic (or "Stiff") from an adjacent precinct at his ex-partner’s retirement party and it seems like his dubious luck has taken a turn for the better. But then a serial killer surfaces who can chan
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 156 pages
Published October 18th 2009 by JCP Books, LLC (first published June 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Among the Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Living

Lola  Reviewer
Once upon a time if you told doctors you heard voices, they’d diagnose you as schizophrenic, put you on heavy drugs, and lock you in a cozy state institution to keep you from hurting yourself or others.

Nowadays they test you first to see if you’re psychic.

Finally. This book has been rooting on my TBR pile for a little more than a year before my impulsive hand saying, ‘‘Oh, and what the hell.’’ finally decided to grab it, read it, love it and review it. I didn’t quite exactly love it, but it
Baba
4 ended-my-book-funk stars.****Review completed January 3, 2014

photo 1a321186-fcd1-4056-bdd4-f8f1d64dd5b1_zps5a55afda.png

photo tumblr_moy609j9UI1qffcrao4_500_zps462b7afa.gif

I opened my eyes again to keep myself with Marks, anchored in the present, among the living.

"Stop it, Marks. You're killing me."
He sat back on his heels, still fully clothed, and licked his lips. "Why don't you call me Jacob?" he suggested.

photo tumblr_mj7bwl0cX21s3n8gzo1_250_zps454d2b9a.gif

"New partner lined up yet?"
I wondered if "partner" was also supposed to be flirtatious, as in "sexual partner." But even my Auracel-addled mind figured that'd be a pretty far stretch.

photo 974fc368-80ca-41aa-abcf-40cf92f1ebc6_zpsecaa9d7e.png

Victor
Nancy
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancy by: M/M Romance Oct. Pick It For Me Challenge
Posted at Hearts on Fire Reviews

Among the Living is told from the perspective of Victor Bayne, a cop in Chicago’s Paranormal Investigation Unit. He is a Class 5 medium, with the ability to communicate with the dead. At the start of the story, Victor is attending a retirement party for his former partner, Maurice. He nearly crashes head first into Detective Jacob Marks, who eventually becomes his lover, and gets called in to investigate a very unusual homicide.

Victor is assisted by his new part
Susan
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-favorites

I’m so mad at myself!

Why, WHY, did I wait this long to start this series?!

If a book could tick off every checkbox of what I find entertaining in a read, “Among the Living” does just that.

Cops. Check
Hot cops. Check
Hot cops with guns. Check
Quirky anti-hero MC. Check
Something scary. Check
Something funny. Check
Something sweet. Check
Makes fun of itself. Check.
Great writing. Check.
Potential for more (series). Check

I love, love, LOVE VICTOR BAYNE!!!! (and I honestly have no idea why) He hears dead peo
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Woah! Snag this book as part of a bundle for only $0.99! Awesome deal! 2/16/15 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R...*

**4.5 stars**

I am very very excited about this series. I love the character of Vic and the psycop world that Jordan Castillo Price created. This review won't be very long because I only have generalized gushy, lovey stuff to say about this series thus far. My main complaint is that I wish the book was longer. I could have used another 100 pages. I'm going to keep reading each
Jordan Price
Sep 29, 2009 marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Writing tidbit: I was initially going to make Vic more dramatically paranormal. First idea was he could be a genie who wasn't allowed to do wishes for himself. Then, a half-demon. But I found the more "normal" I made him (if you could call him that), the more the story came alive.
Shurrn
You know that moment when you read the first book in a series, and you do a little happy dance because you just discovered something amazing?

I'm so there right now. The only thing better than reading this book was the realization that there is a whole series ready and waiting for me :)

It was a stupid idea anyway, trying to scare off a demon by putting him in a bubble like Glenda the Good Witch. What I needed was to a house to drop on him.
It is rare for a book to hook me as quickly as this o
julio
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, hullo there, Mr. Tall, Dark, and Occult.

Compact. Funny, clever, sexy. Original, and accomplished. Looking forward to more.

...More of my bony-arsed Bayne.
Rosa, really
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody who enjoys ghosts, good writin' and frequent hot beef injections.

Vic is my everything and Gomez Pugh (the narrator) is perfection.

And I'm upping this from 4 to 5 stars. When you've reread/listened to a book 2, 3 or, perhaps, 10 times, it's a 5 star read, friends.

[WARNING: The following may be a bit of a spoiler if you've never read the series or, you know, a romance.]

Every time I read or listen to any book in this series I find something new to love. In this one it occurred to me for the first time exactly why Vic allows himself to fall so in love with Jacob.
Jenni Lea

Re-read 6/18/16: still just as good as the first time I read it.

**********************

Just one book into this series and I’m hooked! I love Vic’s voice and I absolutely adore Jacob. Off to read the next one!
Ingela
Written November 29, 2014

3 1/2 Stars - A great start - I'm convinced!!

Book #1

The first novella in the PsyCop paranormal crime series about Victor Bayne, the psychic half a PsyCop team (a gay medium) and the tough gorgeous (quite sexy) cop Jacob Marks.

***********************************************************

I listened to the audiobooks (this one 3 hrs) narrated in a perfect way —for me— by Gomez Pugh.

I started these books on a vacation trip and finished this first one next to two weeks ago. I
Kaje Harper
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m
Excellent. I think one of the pleasures of JCP's work is her sense of proportion. These stories have an unerring balance between the logical and the paranormal, the humorous and the dramatic, the romantic and the hot and sexy. I was going to try to save them up and read slowly, like Christmas chocolates. Who am I kidding? I always finish those by Boxing Day, and these stories are just as addictive - I finished the second before even taking time off to review the first. Highly recommended.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m addicted! And hell…a bit in love too. Among the Living by Jordan Castillo Price blends day to day hassles and routine with the creeps and chills of the paranormal. A story and world that had me smiling one minute and shivering the next.

”Nothingness had never been so scary.”

Victor Bayne is a PsyCop with the ability to see and communicate with the dead whether he feels up for chatting or not. The dead drop by his apartment, haunt his days & nights and every move. Hell he can even conjure
Simone
***3.5 Stars***

I wonder if I would have loved it more if I had read it instead of listening to the audioversion...

Gordon Pugh's narration itself was a bit flat and monotone and I had to struggle not to be miles away, needless to say getting tired while driving is not the best idea ever. What he did great, though, was giving Jacob a sexy as hell voice and that was to die for.

The story was okay for me, albeit nothing to write home about. This is the first in a series, so I guess the worldbuilding
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I loved this book. Victor has one of the most fascinating voices I've met.
He is not bothered by his flaws and moderately interested in what happens around him if he's not involved. Things and people almost happen to him. He is absorbed in himself and at the same time he doesn't take himself too seriously. His psychic powers are an annoyance and he would clearly get rid of them if he could. Although he's been trained to use them, it's clear he didn't pay much attention during his classes and peop
Shelley
I absolutely love the premise of this series; psychic cops in an urban fantasy world with an m/m romance arc.

Oh yes! I’m paying attention.

Vick Bayne is the voice of this story; a PsyCop who see’s and speaks to dead people - a handy talent for the homicide division. But Vick has issues.

Duh!
Of course he has issues, who wouldn't! He sees dead people for goodness sake.

Low self-esteem, a drug addiction, an inferiority complex and a haunted past are what seems to shape our MC. Oddly enough I’m not ir
Sara
Quick review. First; I am not one to read paranormal books. I am a self proclaimed lazy reader and do not want to spend time on the world building. That being said, HOLYMOTHERFUCKINGSHITBALLS I am in love with this story! It was nothing like I expected. I was so easy to settle into, inside Vic's head and what was going on both inside and out of it. It was so veray easy for me to fall in love with Jacob. How could I not? That man turned me into a huge pile of goo more than once but those last lin ...more
Ann
So, I completely loved this. I'll write more later because I'm too busy right now starting the second one :).

OK - taking a brief break to share the love . . . An actual review:

First, I'm lame. I hate starting a series that is totally established and multiple books in before I jump on board. I have literary OCD and once I start a series and I like it, I can't stop until I've read them all, in order (whether they need to be read in order or not).

This book is why. I totally loved it. Now I'm commit
Isabel
I won this book in a Boys in Our Books giveaway, and now I can't thank them and the author enough!

I love Victor Bayne and Jacob Marks! They are hot and funny! I love the plot and all the paranormal scenario. It's intelligent and captivating, and now I want more!
Gigi
Wow, excellent start! I really enjoyed Victor and am already in love with big-softy Jacob and the whole idea of the Psychic Cops is incredibly fascinating. One small issue with this book in particular is that the actual murder case they worked on didn't hold much interest for me. But with so many books in this series, there are many, many more to come, so I'm not at all worried.

I'm moving on to the next book! I plan to do a more comprehensive review of the characters when I am finished with the
Regina
“Once upon a time if you told doctors you heard voice, they’d diagnose you as schizophrenic, put you on heavy drugs, and lock you away in a cozy state institution to keep you from hurting others. Nowadays they test you first to see if you’re psychic.”

Have you ever wanted a psychic power? Communicating with others telepathically? Making objects move? Being able to speak with animals? Well, I used to want to move objects with my mind. Reading Firestarter by Stephen King when I was a kid made me
haletostilinski

So, at the end of this just now I came up feeling...not sure how to feel about this.

In some ways I really enjoyed it. Especially the last third of the book, where it really picked up and got into the action. Also, the three smut scenes we got between Vic and Jacob were really hot.

But in some ways, it left me with a "meh" feeling. There was hardly any world building - this is an alternate universe, one that readers don't know much about except that it's almost like ours except for a s
Maya
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

So good!
I'm starting the next book right away.

Jaya

3.25-trippy stars

I don't like short stories much. I usually avoid novellas even if they are a part of an ongoing series that I might be reading/have read. To start a series with a short story should have put me off.
But it did not.
Everything was so well proportioned in this book, it felt just about right. Okay maybe Jacob's character could have done with some more depth rather than details of his buff body/clipped beard bla bla bla physical attributes.
Looking forward to the sequels in the seri
Marte
**** 4,5 PsyCop stars *****

This was great!

Great world build and characters. Intriguing and captivating!
And creepy and scary!

A continuation of the series is a definite! :D

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Status updates:

I really hate threesomes when one of the participants is dead.

Yeah, I draw the line at dead people too. Threesomes are okay, dead people no. Especially if they're standing around the bed staring. LOL

14%
The victim was splayed buck naked on his red velvet bedspread like a piece of fucking
Lenore
I've wanted to read this forever and I was thrilled when I got it as a Christmas present.

I had a couple of issues with this story, the first one being that it felt too short. But it's a series so maybe that can be solved quite easily.
I also couldn't picture Victor very well, I only got that he was tall and dark-haired. I had no such problem with Jacob, who by the way was yum! Why did Jacob fancy Vic that much was another head-scratching moment. The intimate scenes were kinda mediocre but that w
Deeze
This is a second time reading this series, and I’m loving it all over again.

Even knowing the outcome I still found myself on the edge of my seat.

The suspense and paranormal of this book is brilliant. I love all the different psychic aspects we get introduced to.

As for Victor and Jacob, well they just work for me on every level. They have a chemistry that just feels right to me. Victor’s voice throughout the book draws me in, I love his sense of humour/sarcastic wit. Jacob is more the gentle gia
MishyJo
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to MishyJo by: ⚣ Marco Manganiello ⚣
Well. What to say? This was so not my normal read. I am thrilled that I liked it so much considering how out of my element I was. Will I read more? It's definitely possible but not for sure.
Adam

I can definitely understand why this series is so popular among MM readers, though I'll have to read more to decide whether I'm as enamoured by it. Even so, a very fun beginning. 'Among the Living' was just shy of 4 stars for me. I think that was probably just because I took a break of two days in between over the weekend.

The audiobook was great. This was my first listen by Gomez Pugh, and I was very impressed. Well-paced and good character voices. Plus, very sexy voice. That's always a
Heather C
1st Read November 2010

I finished this book in only a few hours. Its way to short. Before I realized it, I was finished and I just wanted to read more of Vic and Jacob. The ending was very sweet but too abrupt leaving a lot of stuff unexplained!

I like Vic. He's cute and quirky and I never know what silly thoughts will run through his head next. Sometimes I found myself laughing at him.

Every time Jacob spoke to Vic, I got all mushy inside. So sweet! I really wish we could see what's going on in h
Jordan Castillo P...: Gaps that need filling? 9 25 Aug 30, 2016 04:37PM
Jordan Castillo P...: Among the Living Audio - August 13 11 17 Mar 08, 2015 05:58PM
The Challenge Fac...: ✎Jennifer C., Ezinwanyi and Melissa ~ Among the Living 30 20 Sep 01, 2013 05:25PM
Buddy Read Bev and deirdre May 20 11 13 May 22, 2013 10:21AM
Romance, Historic...: Psycop Series M/M 401 122 Dec 02, 2012 05:08PM
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
  • Infected: Prey (Infected, #1)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Hell Cop
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • The Long Way Home
  • Like Coffee and Doughnuts (Dino Martini Mysteries, #1)
  • Irregulars
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check
More about Jordan Castillo Price...

PsyCop (8 books)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • Skin After Skin (PsyCop #8)
“I really hate threesomes when one of the participants is dead.” 70 likes